Russia Resolved to Repatriate Nationals Held in Libya
Baku-APA. Russia’s Foreign Ministry is doing all it can to ensure the release and repatriation of two nationals serving long prison terms in Libya, ministry spokesman Alexander Lukashevich said on Friday.
The ministry and the Russian Embassy in Tripoli have been working on the case of Vladimir Dolgov and Alexander Shadrov ever since they were sentenced, he said, APA reports quoting Ria Novosti.
“Exhaustive measures are being taken to find a solution to this problem and ensure our citizens’ return to the Motherland as soon as possible,” he said in a commentary posted on the ministry’s website.
The ministry is working with the relevant agencies and organizations, including human rights NGOs abroad, he said, without specifying any details.
The two Russians, as well as 19 Ukrainians and three Belarusians, were arrested in the fall of 2011 by the Transitional National Council (PNC) of Libya. They were accused of taking part in military operations on the side of troops loyal to the ousted former Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi.
Shadrov, who was charged with coordinating the group, was sentenced to life in prison. Other defendants, including Dolgov, were sentenced to ten years.
In Libya, rebels ousted and killed long-standing dictator Gaddafi in October 2011 after a months-long military standoff, in which they received assistance from NATO forces.
Related news releases
- 26.05.2018Putin: Turkey has right to choose its military aircraft
- 25.05.2018Plenary meeting held in Petersburg forum with participation of Russian, French and Japan leaders
- 25.05.2018Armenian president visits Georgia
- 25.05.2018Cancellation of US-North Korea summit is ‘testing humanity’s nerve’ — Russian senator
- 25.05.2018Second Syrian National Dialogue Congress planned to be held in Sochi next month
- 25.05.2018Man taking hostages in Moscow apartment detained
- 24.05.2018Man takes three hostages in Moscow - Interior Ministry
- 24.05.2018Russian Defense Ministry general detained
- 24.05.2018Man commits suicide after killing five in Russia
- 24.05.2018Armenia army chief to be dismissed
- 20.05.2018Pentagon says Moscow 'not doing enough' to fight terrorism within borders
- 20.05.2018All militants who attacked church in Grozny identified, says Chechnya’s head
- 18.05.2018Putin approves new cabinet
- 17.05.2018Putin Met With Assad in Sochi - Kremlin Spokesman
- 17.05.2018Putin: Defense Ministry allocates $24 billion for state defense order 2018
- 16.05.2018Protesters storm mayor’s building in Yerevan
- 16.05.2018Russian embassy warns of attempts to embroil other states in Skripal case
- 15.05.2018Start your engines: Putin driving truck, opens newly-built Crimean Bridge
- 15.05.2018Moscow says U.S. putting serious pressure on Iran nuclear deal participants
- 15.05.2018Moscow does not rule out Iran’s pullout from nuclear deal — diplomat
- 15.05.2018State Duma approves criminal liability for aiding West’s anti-Russia sanctions
- 14.05.2018Books on “Armenian genocide” by American and Turkish historians published in Moscow
- 12.05.2018Armenian president appoints new FM
- 10.05.2018Armenia police chief, director of National Security Service dismissed
- 09.05.2018Russia slams US decision to withdraw from Iran deal
- 08.05.2018Armenia’s first deputy defense minister resigns
- 08.05.2018Russian Interior Ministry warns Armenian and Azerbaijani diaspora over upcoming Immortal Regiment march
- 08.05.2018Pashinyan elected Armenia's prime minister
- 07.05.2018Putin asks State Duma to appoint Medvedev Russia’s prime minister
- 07.05.2018Putin takes office for second six-year term as Russia’s president
- 05.05.2018Russian journalist: "Armenia historically is an encumbrance for Russia"
- 05.05.2018Police seize Navalny at Putin protest
- 04.05.2018Terrorist acts plotted in Russia were coordinated from abroad – FSB
- 03.05.2018One person killed, one wounded in attack on HSBC bank in Armenia
- 03.05.2018Azerbaijani woman appointed as Tatarstan’s minister of culture
- 03.05.2018Ukraine suspends participation in CIS coordination councils
- 02.05.2018Armenia’s ruling party to vote for candidate supported by one third of MPs
- 02.05.2018Opposition blocks highways linking Armenia with Georgia, Iran
- 02.05.2018Armenia's parliament to hold fresh vote for PM on May 8
- 02.05.2018Civil resistance in Armenia expands
- 16.02.2013‘Pregnant’ Boy Sues Kazakh Medics for $300
- 16.02.2013Ukraine's Environment Minister Visits Chernobyl Nuclear Plant
- 16.02.2013Putin Presents Updated Russian Foreign Policy Concept
- 15.02.2013Putin orders assistance after meteor explodes over Ural Mountains
- 15.02.2013Vladimir Zhirinovsky denies meteorite, claims US weapons tests
- 15.02.2013Meteor shower injures at least 500 in Chelyabinsk