Russia Resolved to Repatriate Nationals Held in Libya
Baku-APA. Russia’s Foreign Ministry is doing all it can to ensure the release and repatriation of two nationals serving long prison terms in Libya, ministry spokesman Alexander Lukashevich said on Friday.
The ministry and the Russian Embassy in Tripoli have been working on the case of Vladimir Dolgov and Alexander Shadrov ever since they were sentenced, he said, APA reports quoting Ria Novosti.
“Exhaustive measures are being taken to find a solution to this problem and ensure our citizens’ return to the Motherland as soon as possible,” he said in a commentary posted on the ministry’s website.
The ministry is working with the relevant agencies and organizations, including human rights NGOs abroad, he said, without specifying any details.
The two Russians, as well as 19 Ukrainians and three Belarusians, were arrested in the fall of 2011 by the Transitional National Council (PNC) of Libya. They were accused of taking part in military operations on the side of troops loyal to the ousted former Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi.
Shadrov, who was charged with coordinating the group, was sentenced to life in prison. Other defendants, including Dolgov, were sentenced to ten years.
In Libya, rebels ousted and killed long-standing dictator Gaddafi in October 2011 after a months-long military standoff, in which they received assistance from NATO forces.
Related news releases
- 09.08.2017Russian Defense Ministry renovating major facilities for FIFA World Cup
- 08.08.2017Russia's Putin visits breakaway Georgian region of Abkhazia: Kremlin
- 06.08.2017Russia’s ex-envoy to US says his talks with Flynn were about Russian-US cooperation
- 05.08.2017Russian minister says U.S. exit from Paris pact "terrible mistake"
- 05.08.2017Russia says reserves right to retaliate over new EU sanctions
- 04.08.2017Russian deputy minister blacklisted in new EU sanctions over Siemens turbines to Crimea
- 03.08.2017Kremlin: Moldova Gov't Declaring Rogozin Persona Non-Grata Unacceptable
- 02.08.2017Russian PM Medvedev on new sanctions: 'US declares full-fledged trade war'
- 02.08.2017Moldovan gov't declares Russian Deputy Prime Minister Rogozin Persona Non-Grata
- 02.08.2017Georgian officials strongly criticize Putin’s forthcoming visit to Abkhazia
- 01.08.2017Moscow court shooting: Three 'Grand Theft Auto' gang members killed in bungled bid to escape trial
- 01.08.2017Four killed in shooting at Moscow court: lawyer
- 01.08.2017Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan continue talks on border settlement - Kyrgyz Government
- 30.07.2017Russia to continue delivering rocket engines to US — deputy premier
- 29.07.2017Moldova demands Russia to withdraw its troops from Transnistria
- 28.07.2017Russia orders out U.S. diplomats in sanctions retaliation
- 28.07.2017Russia suspends US embassy use of diplomatic properties in Moscow
- 28.07.20177 suspected terrorists detained in St. Petersburg
- 28.07.2017Uzbek prosecutors charge ex-leader's daughter of 6 criminal offenses
- 27.07.2017Putin: We'll have to retaliate against 'illegal' U.S. sanctions
- 27.07.2017Russia's response to U.S. sanctions to hinge on final bill text: Putin
- 26.07.2017Ukraine deports Russian journalist
- 26.07.2017Russia calls US source of danger
- 25.07.2017Man planning to fly to Syria to join ISIL via Baku detained in Russia
- 25.07.2017Applicants for higher education decreasing in numbers in Armenia
- 25.07.2017Trump slams AG Sessions' 'weak' position on Clinton emails
- 22.07.2017Lavrov says US continues support to some opposition groups in Syria
- 20.07.2017Kremlin says not considering Lapshin’s extradition to Russia
- 18.07.2017Russia reiterates its restrained stance on North Korean issue settlement
- 18.07.2017Fire in Mosow high-rise extinguished - UPDATED
- 17.07.2017Sargsyan: Russia’s sale of arms to Azerbaijan is most painful aspect of Armenia-Russia relations
- 16.07.2017Suspects in attack on Russian tourists in Abkhazia identified - security service
- 14.07.2017Russia's Putin hopes dialogue with Trump will continue
- 14.07.2017Lawmaker Zhirinovsky: United Russian-Armenian military group should be under Russian command
- 14.07.2017Russian Duma ratifies agreement to keep 49-year presence at Syrian naval and air base
- 14.07.2017Russia ratifies agreement on joint group of forces with Armenia
- 14.07.2017Moscow threatens to reduce number of American diplomats at US embassy
- 14.07.2017The State Duma will consider ratification of the agreement with Armenia
- 13.07.2017Sergei Lavrov: "Russia does not support Assad"
- 13.07.2017Boris Nemtsov killer sentenced to 20 years in prison
- 16.02.2013‘Pregnant’ Boy Sues Kazakh Medics for $300
- 16.02.2013Ukraine's Environment Minister Visits Chernobyl Nuclear Plant
- 16.02.2013Putin Presents Updated Russian Foreign Policy Concept
- 15.02.2013Putin orders assistance after meteor explodes over Ural Mountains
- 15.02.2013Vladimir Zhirinovsky denies meteorite, claims US weapons tests
- 15.02.2013Meteor shower injures at least 500 in Chelyabinsk