Russia neutralizes threats along western borders by beefing up troop combat strength
The Russian Defense Ministry is neutralizing the challenges and threats along the country’s western borders by improving the combat strength of Western Military District troops, Russian Defense Minister Sergey Shoigu said, APA reported citing TASS.
“In these circumstances, we are implementing a series of measures to neutralize the evolving challenges and threats. In accordance with the plan of work, we are improving the combat strength of Western Military District troops and their deployment,” Shoigu said at a meeting of the Russian Defense Ministry’s board.
According to the minister, more than 20 organizational events aimed at boosting the military district’s combat potential were held in 2017.
The military and political situation at Russia’s western border remains tense and tends to aggravate, according to Shoigu.
“First of all, I want to note that the military and political situation at our western borders remains tense and tends to aggravate,” the defense minister said at the ministry’s board meeting.
Four NATO multinational battalion-level tactical groups with a total strength of up to 5,000 servicemen have been deployed in the Baltic states and Poland. Besides, an armored brigade and a combat aviation brigade of the US Army are stationed in Poland and Germany. Work is under way in Eastern European countries to deploy US missile shield elements, the Russian defense minister said.
“The intensity and the scope of operational and combat training of the armed forces of the alliance’s member states near our borders are growing. In the past three months alone, over 30 exercises have been held on the territory of Eastern Europe and the Baltic states,” Shoigu said.
Related news releases
- 18.11.2017Five injured in passenger bus-truck collision in Russia
- 17.11.2017Six inmates slash their wrists in Moscow court
- 17.11.2017Minibus collides with truck in Volga Area, 15 dead
- 15.11.2017Russia’s State Duma passes amendments to foreign agent media law
- 14.11.2017Defense Ministry provides explanation on wrong photos attached to Abu Kamal statement
- 14.11.2017Russia detains 69 extremists in the Moscow region
- 14.11.2017Prisoner escapes in Armenia
- 13.11.2017Putin, Erdogan hold joint press conference after meeting in Sochi
- 13.11.2017Turkish, Russian presidents meet in Sochi
- 10.11.2017Russian, Turkish presidents to meet in Sochi on Nov. 13
- 10.11.2017Students continue protests in Yerevan
- 10.11.2017Syria deal could be announced after Trump-Putin meeting friday
- 09.11.2017Putin informed about collapse of residential building in Izhevsk
- 09.11.2017Several dead, injured as 9-storey building collapses in Russia
- 07.11.2017Russia's Communist Party organizes march celebrating 100th anniversary of October Revolution in Moscow
- 07.11.2017Russian State Duma delegation to visit Azerbaijan
- 05.11.2017Kremlin: Syrian settlement is considered as a topic for Putin-Trump meeting
- 03.11.2017Man serving life sentence for 1999 Armenia parliament tragedy dies at night
- 02.11.2017Kremlin confirms preparation for Putin-Erdogan meeting underway
- 01.11.2017ATC: Most of websites engaged in terrorist recruitment in CIS managed from abroad
- 01.11.2017Russian president arrives in Tehran
- 01.11.2017Another round of Astana talks on Syria to be held in late December
- 31.10.2017Russia hopes Syria will be liberated from terrorists in one or two months
- 31.10.2017Ukraine interior minister's son detained
- 31.10.2017Lavrov: Russia needs legal guarantees to extend Turkish Stream gas pipeline to EU soil
- 27.10.2017Western companies hardest hit by anti-Russia sanctions — Russian minister
- 26.10.2017Russia will respond to Twitter's RT, Sputnik ad ban - Russian Foreign Ministry
- 26.10.2017One man killed, three wounded in Kiev explosion
- 25.10.2017Kremlin slams Sobchak’s statement on Crimea as totally wrong
- 25.10.2017Turkmen leader tours Ashgabat on horseback - VIDEO
- 25.10.2017President Poroshenko awards Azerbaijani officer of Ukrainian National Guard
- 24.10.2017Russia vetoes UN extension of gas attack probe in Syria
- 24.10.2017Ksenia Sobchak: Crimea belongs to Ukraine under law
- 23.10.2017Russian national guard officer eliminated after killing 4 colleagues in Chechnya
- 23.10.2017Assailant who stabbed host of Moscow radio station identified - UPDATED
- 23.10.2017Lavrov: Hopefully, there will be no war between Iraqi government troops and Kurds
- 20.10.2017Sergey Lavrov meets with Council of Europe Secretary General
- 20.10.2017Russia's Putin says oil price above $50/bbl is fair
- 20.10.2017Putin regrets that disrespect shown for Trump in US
- 19.10.2017Putin: Russia ready to move towards universal nuclear disarmament
- 30.10.2017Man breaks into kindergarten in Armenia, takes hostages
- 31.10.2017Wife of Russian accused of Putin assassination plot shot dead in Kiev
- 31.10.2017Moscow doesn’t rule out visa-free regime with Georgia
- 27.10.2017Lavrov: Russia’s non-commercial organizations should promote idea of Eurasian integration in CIS
- 27.10.2017Putin test-fires ballistic missiles in strategic nuclear force command and control drills
- 27.10.2017Kazakhstan President orders transition to Latin-based alphabet