Russia neutralizes threats along western borders by beefing up troop combat strength
The Russian Defense Ministry is neutralizing the challenges and threats along the country’s western borders by improving the combat strength of Western Military District troops, Russian Defense Minister Sergey Shoigu said, APA reported citing TASS.
“In these circumstances, we are implementing a series of measures to neutralize the evolving challenges and threats. In accordance with the plan of work, we are improving the combat strength of Western Military District troops and their deployment,” Shoigu said at a meeting of the Russian Defense Ministry’s board.
According to the minister, more than 20 organizational events aimed at boosting the military district’s combat potential were held in 2017.
The military and political situation at Russia’s western border remains tense and tends to aggravate, according to Shoigu.
“First of all, I want to note that the military and political situation at our western borders remains tense and tends to aggravate,” the defense minister said at the ministry’s board meeting.
Four NATO multinational battalion-level tactical groups with a total strength of up to 5,000 servicemen have been deployed in the Baltic states and Poland. Besides, an armored brigade and a combat aviation brigade of the US Army are stationed in Poland and Germany. Work is under way in Eastern European countries to deploy US missile shield elements, the Russian defense minister said.
“The intensity and the scope of operational and combat training of the armed forces of the alliance’s member states near our borders are growing. In the past three months alone, over 30 exercises have been held on the territory of Eastern Europe and the Baltic states,” Shoigu said.
Related news releases
- 14.03.2018Moscow not connected to ex-spy’s poisoning: Kremlin
- 14.03.2018Moscow welcomes Turkey’s request for prompt S-400 delivery, Lavrov says
- 14.03.2018Turkish, Russian presidents to meet in Ankara on April 3 – FM
- 14.03.2018Syria, S-400 to be in focus at talks of Russian, Turkish foreign ministers
- 10.03.2018Putin on U.S. election interference: ‘I couldn’t care less’
- 07.03.2018Russia’s Mi-8 helicopter crashes in Chechnya
- 05.03.2018Russia has evidence West trying to save Nusra front for regime change - Lavrov
- 05.03.2018Putin’s adviser: Russia ready to disconnect from global Internet
- 03.03.2018Kremlin rejects U.S. charge Russia in breach of arms control treaties
- 02.03.2018Armen Sarkissian elected 4th President of Armenia
- 01.03.2018Putin: ‘No one listened to us then, so listen to us now’ - REPORTAGE
- 01.03.2018Putin announces Russia possesses hypersonic weapons
- 28.02.2018Shooting kills at least two, injures two in Kazan, Russia
- 26.02.2018Car carrying Armenian PM’s bodyguards crashes in Yerevan
- 24.02.20183 Georgians kidnapped in South Ossetia
- 22.02.2018Russian President met with the heads and deputy defense ministers of several countries
- 22.02.2018Ex-Georgian leader banned entry to Ukraine till 2021
- 20.02.2018Ukrainian president signs Donbass reintegration law
- 20.02.2018Dozens of Russian, CIS citizens killed & injured in recent clashes in Syria – Foreign Ministry
- 20.02.2018Russia summons Ukraine's representative over attack on building in Kiev
- 16.02.2018Russian toll in Syria battle was 300 killed and wounded: sources
- 16.02.2018Truck with 2,500 loaves of bread hijacked in Russia
- 15.02.2018New US sanctions pose no serious threat to Russian economy, russians - Medvedev
- 15.02.2018Reports of scores of Russians killed in Syria are disinformation by anti-govt forces - Moscow
- 14.02.2018Presidents of Russia and Ukraine hold a telephone conversation
- 13.02.2018Lavrov says ‘aggressive minority’ in West impedes establishment of relations with Russia
- 09.02.2018Former governor of Sakhalin region Khoroshavin sentenced to 13 years in jail for bribery
- 07.02.2018Russia favors making UN Security Council more efficient
- 06.02.2018Russian, Kazakh FMs discuss preparations for Caspian Summit
- 06.02.2018Russian Central Election Commission registers Putin as presidential candidate
- 04.02.2018Russian Defense Ministry Releases Video of Su-25 Downing Over Syria - VİDEO
- 04.02.2018Russian weapons deliver strikes on area from which Su-25 was shot down , 30 militants killed
- 03.02.2018Russia’s Foreign Ministry notes anti-Russian focus of US nuclear doctrine
- 02.02.2018Russian CEC chairwoman disapproves of Kremlin spokesman’s statement
- 02.02.2018Armenia: 10-year-old girl kidnapped for debts
- 02.02.2018Russia says U.S. 'hunting' for Russians to arrest around the world
- 01.02.2018UN envoy for Syria highlights role of Sochi congress for Geneva process, says Lavrov
- 01.02.2018Law enforcement officer receives stab wounds in Yerevan
- 01.02.2018Meeting between Russian, Italian FMs kicks off in Moscow
- 31.01.2018Sergei Lavrov: "Sochi Congress Agrees a Constitutional Committee"
- 30.10.2017Man breaks into kindergarten in Armenia, takes hostages
- 31.10.2017Wife of Russian accused of Putin assassination plot shot dead in Kiev
- 31.10.2017Moscow doesn’t rule out visa-free regime with Georgia
- 27.10.2017Lavrov: Russia’s non-commercial organizations should promote idea of Eurasian integration in CIS
- 27.10.2017Putin test-fires ballistic missiles in strategic nuclear force command and control drills
- 27.10.2017Kazakhstan President orders transition to Latin-based alphabet