Russia hopes Syria will be liberated from terrorists in one or two months
Moscow hopes that Syria will be completely liberated from Islamic State (a terrorist organization outlawed in Russia) terrorists in a couple of months, Russian president’s special envoy for Syria Alexander Lavrentyev said on Tuesday, APA reports quoting TASS.
"The situation on the ground is developing rather swiftly. The fight against Islamic State is at the final stage. We all hope that at least in one or two months there will be no [Islamic State] armed groups in Syria and there will be no settlements used by this terrorist group as its strongholds," he said at a news conference in Astana.
He said it is time to think about political settlement. "I would like to note that the Russian side sees the necessity to look for options of launching national dialogue and for these ends has announced an initiative to organize a congress of Syrian national dialogue," he said.
According to the Russian chief negotiator, various options for a venue of such a forum have been offered. "We would like to organize such an important intra-Syrian forum in Syria. But taking into account the current situation, which does not make it possible to ensure proper security, it was decided to hold this forum in Sochi (on November 18)," Lavrentyev said.
There is a lot of distorted information about prisoners exchange in Syria, he went on.
"There has emerged a lot of distorted information which in no way helps to build up trust between the conflicting parties. Various figure are cited: 15,000 women forcibly kept by the central authorities in Syrian prisons or 100,000 arrested militants who are kept there," he said.
He called to show "certain restraint" on this issue and "adequately react to such unverified reports."
"It is not in the interests of those who are really kept in prisons, both in the government-controlled territory and in territories controlled by the opposition," he stressed, adding that participants in the intra-Syrian talks will continue work on a document on forcibly kept people and exchange of bodies of those killed.
Related news releases
- 14.03.2018Moscow not connected to ex-spy’s poisoning: Kremlin
- 14.03.2018Moscow welcomes Turkey’s request for prompt S-400 delivery, Lavrov says
- 14.03.2018Turkish, Russian presidents to meet in Ankara on April 3 – FM
- 14.03.2018Syria, S-400 to be in focus at talks of Russian, Turkish foreign ministers
- 10.03.2018Putin on U.S. election interference: ‘I couldn’t care less’
- 07.03.2018Russia’s Mi-8 helicopter crashes in Chechnya
- 05.03.2018Russia has evidence West trying to save Nusra front for regime change - Lavrov
- 05.03.2018Putin’s adviser: Russia ready to disconnect from global Internet
- 03.03.2018Kremlin rejects U.S. charge Russia in breach of arms control treaties
- 02.03.2018Armen Sarkissian elected 4th President of Armenia
- 01.03.2018Putin: ‘No one listened to us then, so listen to us now’ - REPORTAGE
- 01.03.2018Putin announces Russia possesses hypersonic weapons
- 28.02.2018Shooting kills at least two, injures two in Kazan, Russia
- 26.02.2018Car carrying Armenian PM’s bodyguards crashes in Yerevan
- 24.02.20183 Georgians kidnapped in South Ossetia
- 22.02.2018Russian President met with the heads and deputy defense ministers of several countries
- 22.02.2018Ex-Georgian leader banned entry to Ukraine till 2021
- 20.02.2018Ukrainian president signs Donbass reintegration law
- 20.02.2018Dozens of Russian, CIS citizens killed & injured in recent clashes in Syria – Foreign Ministry
- 20.02.2018Russia summons Ukraine's representative over attack on building in Kiev
- 16.02.2018Russian toll in Syria battle was 300 killed and wounded: sources
- 16.02.2018Truck with 2,500 loaves of bread hijacked in Russia
- 15.02.2018New US sanctions pose no serious threat to Russian economy, russians - Medvedev
- 15.02.2018Reports of scores of Russians killed in Syria are disinformation by anti-govt forces - Moscow
- 14.02.2018Presidents of Russia and Ukraine hold a telephone conversation
- 13.02.2018Lavrov says ‘aggressive minority’ in West impedes establishment of relations with Russia
- 09.02.2018Former governor of Sakhalin region Khoroshavin sentenced to 13 years in jail for bribery
- 07.02.2018Russia favors making UN Security Council more efficient
- 06.02.2018Russian, Kazakh FMs discuss preparations for Caspian Summit
- 06.02.2018Russian Central Election Commission registers Putin as presidential candidate
- 04.02.2018Russian Defense Ministry Releases Video of Su-25 Downing Over Syria - VİDEO
- 04.02.2018Russian weapons deliver strikes on area from which Su-25 was shot down , 30 militants killed
- 03.02.2018Russia’s Foreign Ministry notes anti-Russian focus of US nuclear doctrine
- 02.02.2018Russian CEC chairwoman disapproves of Kremlin spokesman’s statement
- 02.02.2018Armenia: 10-year-old girl kidnapped for debts
- 02.02.2018Russia says U.S. 'hunting' for Russians to arrest around the world
- 01.02.2018UN envoy for Syria highlights role of Sochi congress for Geneva process, says Lavrov
- 01.02.2018Law enforcement officer receives stab wounds in Yerevan
- 01.02.2018Meeting between Russian, Italian FMs kicks off in Moscow
- 31.01.2018Sergei Lavrov: "Sochi Congress Agrees a Constitutional Committee"
- 01.11.2017Another round of Astana talks on Syria to be held in late December
- 01.11.2017Russian president arrives in Tehran
- 01.11.2017ATC: Most of websites engaged in terrorist recruitment in CIS managed from abroad
- 31.10.2017Ukraine interior minister's son detained
- 31.10.2017Lavrov: Russia needs legal guarantees to extend Turkish Stream gas pipeline to EU soil
- 31.10.2017Moscow doesn’t rule out visa-free regime with Georgia