Russia hopes Syria will be liberated from terrorists in one or two months
Moscow hopes that Syria will be completely liberated from Islamic State (a terrorist organization outlawed in Russia) terrorists in a couple of months, Russian president’s special envoy for Syria Alexander Lavrentyev said on Tuesday, APA reports quoting TASS.
"The situation on the ground is developing rather swiftly. The fight against Islamic State is at the final stage. We all hope that at least in one or two months there will be no [Islamic State] armed groups in Syria and there will be no settlements used by this terrorist group as its strongholds," he said at a news conference in Astana.
He said it is time to think about political settlement. "I would like to note that the Russian side sees the necessity to look for options of launching national dialogue and for these ends has announced an initiative to organize a congress of Syrian national dialogue," he said.
According to the Russian chief negotiator, various options for a venue of such a forum have been offered. "We would like to organize such an important intra-Syrian forum in Syria. But taking into account the current situation, which does not make it possible to ensure proper security, it was decided to hold this forum in Sochi (on November 18)," Lavrentyev said.
There is a lot of distorted information about prisoners exchange in Syria, he went on.
"There has emerged a lot of distorted information which in no way helps to build up trust between the conflicting parties. Various figure are cited: 15,000 women forcibly kept by the central authorities in Syrian prisons or 100,000 arrested militants who are kept there," he said.
He called to show "certain restraint" on this issue and "adequately react to such unverified reports."
"It is not in the interests of those who are really kept in prisons, both in the government-controlled territory and in territories controlled by the opposition," he stressed, adding that participants in the intra-Syrian talks will continue work on a document on forcibly kept people and exchange of bodies of those killed.
Related news releases
- 16.07.2018Putin calls summit first step towards ‘clearing backlog’ in Russia-US relations
- 14.07.2018Russia says U.S. indictment over election meddling is groundless
- 12.07.2018Russian Foreign Ministry calls NATO 'Useless Military Bloc'
- 11.07.2018Yerevan experiences power outage
- 10.07.2018Kremlin pins American senator’s harsh swipe at Russia on US Deep State ‘pressure’
- 08.07.2018Armenian court issues arrest warrant for ex-president’s brother Levon Sargsyan and his daughter
- 06.07.2018Large fire breaks out in residential house in central Moscow
- 03.07.2018Armenian trucks stuck at Russia-Georgia border – ministry
- 02.07.2018Kremlin says political resolve for establishing Russia-US dialogue will prevail
- 28.06.2018Trump to meet with Putin July 16 in Finland
- 25.06.2018Sargsyan’s brother detained by police
- 25.06.2018Top Russian, Iranian diplomats mull preparations for summit of Caspian states
- 24.06.2018Russian State Duma chairman embarks on official visit to Azerbaijan
- 21.06.2018Armenian military officer caught red-handed for embezzlement of technical supplies
- 21.06.2018Russia’s cooperation with UN to be in focus of Lavrov’s talks with UN Secretary General
- 21.06.2018Russian interior minister arrives in New York to attend UN Chiefs of Police Summit
- 16.06.2018Taxi rams into people in Moscow, at least 8 injured - UPDATED
- 14.06.2018Putin introduced Armenian PM to the President of Azerbaijan
- 13.06.2018Anton Vaino appointed head of Kremlin administration
- 12.06.2018Russian foreign minister praises Trump-Kim meeting
- 12.06.2018Ukraine, Russia fail to agree on UN peacekeeping mission
- 07.06.2018Gazprom appeals against assets seizure in Swiss Court
- 07.06.2018Russia-Armenia trade turnover up by 30 percent last year – Lavrov
- 07.06.2018Russian, Armenian FMs meet in Moscow
- 06.06.2018Russian defense minister: Terror is the main threat to CIS countries
- 06.06.2018Putin expects sanctions on Russia to be removed with time, relations with US to improve
- 05.06.2018Russia not trying to split EU, Putin says before rare visit to Western Europe
- 03.06.2018Counterterrorism operation regime introduced in Dagestan
- 01.06.2018NPP reactor will be closed for repair In Armenia
- 31.05.2018Russia to cut excise duties on diesel fuel, gasoline starting from June 1
- 31.05.2018Moscow "House of Books" allows presentation of American historian's book about the "Armenian Genocide" after APA's news
- 30.05.2018Russia slams Ukraine's staging reporter's murder as `anti-Russian provocation'
- 30.05.2018Russian journalist believed to be dead turns up alive at news conference
- 29.05.2018Putin appoints Russia’s new ambassador to Azerbaijan
- 29.05.2018Lavrov notes US not interested in cooperating with Russia on cybersecurity
- 29.05.2018Armenian serviceman dies in road accident
- 26.05.2018Putin: Turkey has right to choose its military aircraft
- 25.05.2018Plenary meeting held in Petersburg forum with participation of Russian, French and Japan leaders
- 25.05.2018Armenian president visits Georgia
- 25.05.2018Cancellation of US-North Korea summit is ‘testing humanity’s nerve’ — Russian senator
- 01.11.2017Another round of Astana talks on Syria to be held in late December
- 01.11.2017Russian president arrives in Tehran
- 01.11.2017ATC: Most of websites engaged in terrorist recruitment in CIS managed from abroad
- 31.10.2017Ukraine interior minister's son detained
- 31.10.2017Lavrov: Russia needs legal guarantees to extend Turkish Stream gas pipeline to EU soil
- 31.10.2017Moscow doesn’t rule out visa-free regime with Georgia