Russia calls for direct talks between Syrian opponents
Russia on Tuesday called for the opposing sides in the Syrian peace talks to negotiate directly, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
In an interview with Anadolu Agency, Deputy Foreign Minister Gennady Gatilov said: “Direct talks, that is what we [have been] calling for from the very beginning. Unfortunately, this has not happened until now.”
Gatilov, whose government supports Bashar al-Assad’s regime, is expected to meet the opposition delegation on Wednesday in Geneva. He said he would listen to the opposition’s view of the current situation.
On Monday, Nasr al-Hariri, the head of the opposition delegation, said he recognized the “openness” of Russian officials in their approach to discussions.
The latest round of talks to find a resolution to the six-year conflict began on Thursday last week following the suspension of negotiations last April.
Both sides were in the same room on the opening day to hear the UN envoy on Syria Staffan de Mistura call for an end to the war. “The Syrian people desperately want an end to this conflict and you all know it,” he said. “You are the first ones to tell us it.”
However, the opposing delegations are yet to talk face-to-face.
Gatilov said Moscow was open to discussion with the U.S. over Syria.
“We are open in all context with the American administration and we always were constructive in finding possible ground for our common cooperation, first of all, in the fight against terrorism in Syria,” he said.
President Donald Trump’s policy on Syria remains unclear.
Since civil war erupted in March 2011, more than 250,000 people have been killed, according to the UN. However, the Syrian Center for Policy Research puts the death toll at more than 470,000.
Related news releases
- 24.02.20183 Georgians kidnapped in South Ossetia
- 22.02.2018Russian President met with the heads and deputy defense ministers of several countries
- 22.02.2018Ex-Georgian leader banned entry to Ukraine till 2021
- 20.02.2018Ukrainian president signs Donbass reintegration law
- 20.02.2018Dozens of Russian, CIS citizens killed & injured in recent clashes in Syria – Foreign Ministry
- 20.02.2018Russia summons Ukraine's representative over attack on building in Kiev
- 16.02.2018Russian toll in Syria battle was 300 killed and wounded: sources
- 16.02.2018Truck with 2,500 loaves of bread hijacked in Russia
- 15.02.2018New US sanctions pose no serious threat to Russian economy, russians - Medvedev
- 15.02.2018Reports of scores of Russians killed in Syria are disinformation by anti-govt forces - Moscow
- 14.02.2018Presidents of Russia and Ukraine hold a telephone conversation
- 13.02.2018Lavrov says ‘aggressive minority’ in West impedes establishment of relations with Russia
- 09.02.2018Former governor of Sakhalin region Khoroshavin sentenced to 13 years in jail for bribery
- 07.02.2018Russia favors making UN Security Council more efficient
- 06.02.2018Russian, Kazakh FMs discuss preparations for Caspian Summit
- 06.02.2018Russian Central Election Commission registers Putin as presidential candidate
- 04.02.2018Russian Defense Ministry Releases Video of Su-25 Downing Over Syria - VİDEO
- 04.02.2018Russian weapons deliver strikes on area from which Su-25 was shot down , 30 militants killed
- 03.02.2018Russia’s Foreign Ministry notes anti-Russian focus of US nuclear doctrine
- 02.02.2018Russian CEC chairwoman disapproves of Kremlin spokesman’s statement
- 02.02.2018Armenia: 10-year-old girl kidnapped for debts
- 02.02.2018Russia says U.S. 'hunting' for Russians to arrest around the world
- 01.02.2018UN envoy for Syria highlights role of Sochi congress for Geneva process, says Lavrov
- 01.02.2018Law enforcement officer receives stab wounds in Yerevan
- 01.02.2018Meeting between Russian, Italian FMs kicks off in Moscow
- 31.01.2018Sergei Lavrov: "Sochi Congress Agrees a Constitutional Committee"
- 31.01.2018Group of Five plan for Syria runs counter to Geneva process — Lavrov
- 30.01.2018US ‘Kremlin List’ means nothing to Russia — PM
- 30.01.2018Putin says he feels 'sad' about not being included in US 'Kremlin report’
- 29.01.2018Search for missing Azerbaijanis in the Japanese Sea suspended
- 27.01.2018Russia says new U.S. sanctions are destructive step, will retaliate: RIA
- 26.01.201815 people die from hypothermia in Bishkek in January
- 25.01.2018Zakharova says Turkey is a difficult partner
- 25.01.2018Zakharova: ‘Any country’s destructive intervention in election campaign in Russia will be dealt with harshly’
- 25.01.2018Search operation for missing Russian fishing boat in Sea of Japan
- 23.01.2018Ukraine calls for boycott of 2018 World Cup in Russia
- 22.01.2018Russia says U.S. actions in Syria either a provocation or ill-informed
- 21.01.2018Russia says US 'took provocative steps' by arming YPG in Syria
- 20.01.2018Russia, Iran, Turkey agree lists for Congress in Sochi - president’s representative
- 20.01.2018Russia concerned over Turkey's launch of military op in Syria's Afrin - MoD
- 01.03.2017Armenia conceals ethnic affiliations in censuses
- 02.03.2017Food poisoning sickens 60 children in Ukraine
- 03.03.2017Russian EU ambassador says no signs of US rethinking anti-Russian sanctions
- 28.02.2017Ex-governor’s relative beaten up by Armenian police chief
- 28.02.2017Practical preparations for Putin-Trump meeting under way - Russian diplomat
- 27.02.2017Russia detains IS-linked terror suspect