Russia Awaits Reaction of Syrian Opposition on Proposed Draft Constitution
Russia awaits the reaction of the Syrian opposition on Russia’s proposals on the future constitution of the country, Alexander Lavrentyev, the head of Russian delegation to the Astana talks said Tuesday, APA reports quoting Sputnik.
The Russian delegation to the Astana talks presented to the Syrian armed opposition a draft new constitution of the country, Alexander Lavrentyev, the head of Russian delegation to the Astana talks said Tuesday.
"We transferred the draft constitution, which was prepared by Russian experts, to the Syrian armed opposition. I want to emphasize, we have done this solely for the reason that we want to accelerate this process and to give it some additional pacing, we are in no way interfering in the process of consideration and adoption of the constitution," Lavrentyev told reporters.
"At present, the armed constitution has the draft constitution, we are waiting for their reaction which is very important to us and interesting from the point of view of further help," Lavrentyev told reporters.
"We believ eit is right to initiate the establishment of a constitutional commission, which would consist of representatives of the Syrian opposition and representatives of the Syrian government. We have unfortunately failed to do that yet, but we do not lose hope that we will still manage to break the deadlock in the near future," Lavrentyev told reporters.
The delegation of the Syrian armed opposition expressed its readiness at the talks in Astana to work on the country’s new constitution, Lavrentyev said.
"During our negotiations with the Syrian opposition, they overall admitted the importance of launching the political process, admitted the need to start working on elaboration of a new main law of the country, a new constitution," Lavrentyev said speaking to reporters.
The Syria talks were held in Astana on January 23-24. They were initiated by Russian President Vladimir Putin, who proposed establishing in Astana a site of the Syrian peace process in addition to Geneva.
Related news releases
- 28.04.2017Russia's PM Medvedev thanks Turkish premier for help in evacuating crew of wrecked ship
- 27.04.201713 people indicted for theft from EU Armenia delegation grant funds - UPDATED
- 26.04.2017Russia says U.S. missile strike on Syria was a threat to its forces
- 26.04.2017Sixth Moscow conference on int’l security kicks off
- 25.04.2017Russian schoolboy hospitalized after being attacked by lion
- 24.04.2017Georgian first lady’s brother sentenced to 4 years in prison
- 24.04.2017Mogherini: EU still has disagreements with Russia on Ukraine issue
- 22.04.2017Russian serviceman killed in Armenia
- 21.04.2017Protest staged outside government building in Yerevan
- 21.04.2017Over half of Russians want Lenin’s body to be buried - poll
- 21.04.2017Unidentified gunman opens fire in FSB office in Russia’s Khabarovsk
- 21.04.2017Russian army pilots in Armenia hold night trainings
- 21.04.2017State of counter-terror operation imposed in two districts in Dagestan
- 20.04.2017Russia says metro bomber funded by 'international terrorists' in Turkey
- 20.04.2017Russia’s FSB close to establishing instigator of St. Petersburg metro attack
- 19.04.2017FSB detains brother of St. Petersburg metro attack suspect
- 19.04.2017Russian journalist dies after attack in St. Petersburg
- 19.04.2017Ukrainian MP slams Zaporozhye regional council for “Armenian genocide” statement
- 19.04.2017Russia's FSB eliminates two Central Asian would-be terrorists in Vladimir region
- 19.04.2017OSCE Secretary General, Russian FM to mull Karabakh conflict
- 19.04.2017US F-22 fighter jets scrambled to intercept Russian strategic bombers near Alaska
- 18.04.2017Russian president congratulates Turkish counterpart on outcome of Turkey's Constitutional Referendum
- 18.04.2017Russia puts Moscow air defenses on high alert
- 18.04.2017Normandy Four states point out importance of Easter ceasefire in Donbass
- 17.04.2017Suspected organizer of St. Petersburg metro attack detained near Moscow
- 17.04.2017Russia to open embassy in self-proclaimed “Republic of Abkhazia”
- 14.04.2017Armenian opposition appeals to Constitutional Court to annul outcome of elections
- 14.04.2017Yuri Khachaturov appointed CSTO Secretary General
- 14.04.2017MP comments on Baku mosque demolition case
- 14.04.2017Russian, Iranian and Syrian foreign ministers hold trilateral talks
- 14.04.2017Eurasian Economic Union endorses Moldova’s application for observer status
- 14.04.2017St.Peterburg teenager seriously injured as bomb goes off in his hands
- 13.04.2017Russian and Turkish presidents hold phone conversation
- 13.04.2017Belarus pays off $726 mln gas debt to Russia's Gazprom
- 13.04.2017Former head of Russia's Mari El Republic detained over suspected bribe-taking
- 12.04.2017Russia’s top diplomat demands probe into Syrian chemical attack
- 12.04.2017Putin says trust erodes under Trump, Moscow icily receives Tillerson
- 12.04.2017Russian, Iranian and Syrian foreign ministers to meet in Moscow
- 12.04.2017Putin: Almost half of foreign Islamic State militants are from CIS countries
- 12.04.2017Putin vows he won’t allow color revolutions in Russia
- 25.01.2017Russian FM: Nearly 50 countries willing to co-op with Eurasian Economic Union
- 25.01.2017Armenia soldier found dead at military outpost
- 25.01.2017Russia determines identity of person who threatened Armenia with terror
- 21.01.2017De Mistura arrives in Astana for Intra-Syrian talks
- 21.01.2017U.S. envoy to Kazakhstan to attend Syria talks as an observer
- 21.01.2017Putin ready to meet with Trump – Peskov