Putin: Russia ready to move towards universal nuclear disarmament
Russia will be working for universal nuclear disarmament, but it is ready to develop new non-nuclear weapons in response to their emergence in other countries, Russian President Vladimir Putin said at a meeting of the international discussion club Valdai on Thursday, APA reports quoting TASS.
"Should you ask me if nuclear disarmament is possible, I will tell you ‘Yes, it is possible.’ Does Russia wish to achieve universal nuclear disarmament or not? The answer is in the affirmative, too. ‘Yes, it does, and it will be working for it’," Putin said.
At the same time he pointed out that advanced high-tech countries were creating alternative weapon systems only slightly inferior to nuclear weapons, but far more accurate ones.
"A nuclear bomb or a missile hits a large area. Its yield is great enough to affect a vast territory with its blast wave and radiation," Putin said.
He pointed out that other countries were declaring their readiness for nuclear disarmament precisely to an extent matching their own progress in developing new weapon systems and the ability to use them.
"I would like to say that we will be prepared for that," Putin said. "We keep a close watch on what is happening around the world and our country will be arming itself with new weapon systems, including non-nuclear ones," Putin said.
Related news releases
- 16.07.2018Putin calls summit first step towards ‘clearing backlog’ in Russia-US relations
- 14.07.2018Russia says U.S. indictment over election meddling is groundless
- 12.07.2018Russian Foreign Ministry calls NATO 'Useless Military Bloc'
- 11.07.2018Yerevan experiences power outage
- 10.07.2018Kremlin pins American senator’s harsh swipe at Russia on US Deep State ‘pressure’
- 08.07.2018Armenian court issues arrest warrant for ex-president’s brother Levon Sargsyan and his daughter
- 06.07.2018Large fire breaks out in residential house in central Moscow
- 03.07.2018Armenian trucks stuck at Russia-Georgia border – ministry
- 02.07.2018Kremlin says political resolve for establishing Russia-US dialogue will prevail
- 28.06.2018Trump to meet with Putin July 16 in Finland
- 25.06.2018Sargsyan’s brother detained by police
- 25.06.2018Top Russian, Iranian diplomats mull preparations for summit of Caspian states
- 24.06.2018Russian State Duma chairman embarks on official visit to Azerbaijan
- 21.06.2018Armenian military officer caught red-handed for embezzlement of technical supplies
- 21.06.2018Russia’s cooperation with UN to be in focus of Lavrov’s talks with UN Secretary General
- 21.06.2018Russian interior minister arrives in New York to attend UN Chiefs of Police Summit
- 16.06.2018Taxi rams into people in Moscow, at least 8 injured - UPDATED
- 14.06.2018Putin introduced Armenian PM to the President of Azerbaijan
- 13.06.2018Anton Vaino appointed head of Kremlin administration
- 12.06.2018Russian foreign minister praises Trump-Kim meeting
- 12.06.2018Ukraine, Russia fail to agree on UN peacekeeping mission
- 07.06.2018Gazprom appeals against assets seizure in Swiss Court
- 07.06.2018Russia-Armenia trade turnover up by 30 percent last year – Lavrov
- 07.06.2018Russian, Armenian FMs meet in Moscow
- 06.06.2018Russian defense minister: Terror is the main threat to CIS countries
- 06.06.2018Putin expects sanctions on Russia to be removed with time, relations with US to improve
- 05.06.2018Russia not trying to split EU, Putin says before rare visit to Western Europe
- 03.06.2018Counterterrorism operation regime introduced in Dagestan
- 01.06.2018NPP reactor will be closed for repair In Armenia
- 31.05.2018Russia to cut excise duties on diesel fuel, gasoline starting from June 1
- 31.05.2018Moscow "House of Books" allows presentation of American historian's book about the "Armenian Genocide" after APA's news
- 30.05.2018Russia slams Ukraine's staging reporter's murder as `anti-Russian provocation'
- 30.05.2018Russian journalist believed to be dead turns up alive at news conference
- 29.05.2018Putin appoints Russia’s new ambassador to Azerbaijan
- 29.05.2018Lavrov notes US not interested in cooperating with Russia on cybersecurity
- 29.05.2018Armenian serviceman dies in road accident
- 26.05.2018Putin: Turkey has right to choose its military aircraft
- 25.05.2018Plenary meeting held in Petersburg forum with participation of Russian, French and Japan leaders
- 25.05.2018Armenian president visits Georgia
- 25.05.2018Cancellation of US-North Korea summit is ‘testing humanity’s nerve’ — Russian senator
- 20.10.2017Putin regrets that disrespect shown for Trump in US
- 20.10.2017Russia's Putin says oil price above $50/bbl is fair
- 20.10.2017Sergey Lavrov meets with Council of Europe Secretary General
- 19.10.2017Russian TV host Ksenia Sobchak declares Kremlin bid for 2018
- 18.10.2017Pedro Agramunt receives honorary doctorate from Russian higher school
- 18.10.2017One of main sponsors of separatist regime in Karabakh dies