Putin orders assistance after meteor explodes over Ural Mountains
Baku-APA. President Vladimir Putin has ordered immediate assistance for people living in Russia's Ural Mountains after a meteor exploded over the region on Friday, injuring at least 520, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
"Every effort should be made to objectively estimate the damage. People have been injured. Assistance must be provided to them immediately," Putin said in a statement posted on the Kremlin's website.
Emergency Situations Minister Vladimir Puchkov said the meteor, observed at 07:20 Moscow time (0320 GMT) near Chelyabink, injured more than 520 people, including 12 children.
Some 300 houses, 12 schools, and a number of factories were damaged, the minister said.
The explosions broke an estimated 100,000 square meters of glass in Chelyabink, a city of 1 million about 1,500 km east of Moscow, officials said.
The meteor -- estimated to be about 10 tons -- entered the Earth's atmosphere at a hypersonic speed of at least 54,000 kph and shattered about 30-50 km above the ground, the Russian Academy of Sciences said in a statement.
It released the energy of several kilotons above the Chelyabinsk region, the academy said.
Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev, who addressed an economic forum in the city of Krasnoyarsk in Siberia, said the meteor "indicates that not only economies are vulnerable, but the entire planet is."
Other officials were also highly responsive to the unexpected meteor.
Pavel Astakhov, the presidential envoy for children rights, told the Interfax news agency that "it is necessary to secure children's safety as a threat of a new meteorite shower in Chelyabinsk region remains."
Emergency Situations Ministry spokeswoman Irina Rossius, however, urged people not to approach the meteor fragments and immediately call police if they found any.
"Security Committee of the State Duma controls the situation," Vyacheslav Timchenko, a Duma member, told reporters after the MPs were briefed on the event in the Urals.
Soldiers were heading to the region to carry out rescue and relief operations.
Related news releases
- 24.02.20183 Georgians kidnapped in South Ossetia
- 22.02.2018Russian President met with the heads and deputy defense ministers of several countries
- 22.02.2018Ex-Georgian leader banned entry to Ukraine till 2021
- 20.02.2018Ukrainian president signs Donbass reintegration law
- 20.02.2018Dozens of Russian, CIS citizens killed & injured in recent clashes in Syria – Foreign Ministry
- 20.02.2018Russia summons Ukraine's representative over attack on building in Kiev
- 16.02.2018Russian toll in Syria battle was 300 killed and wounded: sources
- 16.02.2018Truck with 2,500 loaves of bread hijacked in Russia
- 15.02.2018New US sanctions pose no serious threat to Russian economy, russians - Medvedev
- 15.02.2018Reports of scores of Russians killed in Syria are disinformation by anti-govt forces - Moscow
- 14.02.2018Presidents of Russia and Ukraine hold a telephone conversation
- 13.02.2018Lavrov says ‘aggressive minority’ in West impedes establishment of relations with Russia
- 09.02.2018Former governor of Sakhalin region Khoroshavin sentenced to 13 years in jail for bribery
- 07.02.2018Russia favors making UN Security Council more efficient
- 06.02.2018Russian, Kazakh FMs discuss preparations for Caspian Summit
- 06.02.2018Russian Central Election Commission registers Putin as presidential candidate
- 04.02.2018Russian Defense Ministry Releases Video of Su-25 Downing Over Syria - VİDEO
- 04.02.2018Russian weapons deliver strikes on area from which Su-25 was shot down , 30 militants killed
- 03.02.2018Russia’s Foreign Ministry notes anti-Russian focus of US nuclear doctrine
- 02.02.2018Russian CEC chairwoman disapproves of Kremlin spokesman’s statement
- 02.02.2018Armenia: 10-year-old girl kidnapped for debts
- 02.02.2018Russia says U.S. 'hunting' for Russians to arrest around the world
- 01.02.2018UN envoy for Syria highlights role of Sochi congress for Geneva process, says Lavrov
- 01.02.2018Law enforcement officer receives stab wounds in Yerevan
- 01.02.2018Meeting between Russian, Italian FMs kicks off in Moscow
- 31.01.2018Sergei Lavrov: "Sochi Congress Agrees a Constitutional Committee"
- 31.01.2018Group of Five plan for Syria runs counter to Geneva process — Lavrov
- 30.01.2018US ‘Kremlin List’ means nothing to Russia — PM
- 30.01.2018Putin says he feels 'sad' about not being included in US 'Kremlin report’
- 29.01.2018Search for missing Azerbaijanis in the Japanese Sea suspended
- 27.01.2018Russia says new U.S. sanctions are destructive step, will retaliate: RIA
- 26.01.201815 people die from hypothermia in Bishkek in January
- 25.01.2018Zakharova says Turkey is a difficult partner
- 25.01.2018Zakharova: ‘Any country’s destructive intervention in election campaign in Russia will be dealt with harshly’
- 25.01.2018Search operation for missing Russian fishing boat in Sea of Japan
- 23.01.2018Ukraine calls for boycott of 2018 World Cup in Russia
- 22.01.2018Russia says U.S. actions in Syria either a provocation or ill-informed
- 21.01.2018Russia says US 'took provocative steps' by arming YPG in Syria
- 20.01.2018Russia, Iran, Turkey agree lists for Congress in Sochi - president’s representative
- 20.01.2018Russia concerned over Turkey's launch of military op in Syria's Afrin - MoD
- 16.02.2013Russia Resolved to Repatriate Nationals Held in Libya
- 16.02.2013‘Pregnant’ Boy Sues Kazakh Medics for $300
- 16.02.2013Ukraine's Environment Minister Visits Chernobyl Nuclear Plant
- 15.02.2013Vladimir Zhirinovsky denies meteorite, claims US weapons tests
- 15.02.2013Meteor shower injures at least 500 in Chelyabinsk
- 15.02.2013Meteor shower explodes in Chelyabinsk, several injured - VIDEO