Putin dismisses secret Trump dossier claims
"Look, I am not acquainted with Mr Trump. I have never met him. I do not know what he will do in the international arena, so I have no reason either to attack him or criticise him for whatever reason or to defend him, no matter what," he said during a joint news conference in Moscow with President of Moldova Igor Dodon, according to the Kremlin’s website.
"People who order these kinds of fabrications, which are now being used to smear the US President-elect, and use it to advance their political agenda are worse than prostitutes," Putin said.
Trump last Wednesday similarly lashed out at "shameful and disgraceful" reports Russia has compromising information about him that it could use for blackmail.
"It's all fake news. It's phony stuff. It didn't happen," he said during his first news conference in six months. "It was a group of opponents that got together -- sick people -- and they put that crap together."
CNN and other news organizations reported that the president-elect was presented with documents that showed Moscow had compromising information on him when he was briefed by America's intelligence leaders in early January.
The U.S. intelligence community has unequivocally accused Putin of personally ordering cyber attacks on high-profile U.S. targets to influence the outcome of the Nov. 8 presidential election.
During Wednesday’s Trump acknowledged publicly for the first time that he thought "it was Russia". Putin has denied the hacks.
During his campaign and since his election, Trump has expressed his intention to have good ties with Russia and repeatedly praised its leader.
Related news releases
- 20.10.2017Sergey Lavrov meets with Council of Europe Secretary General
- 20.10.2017Russia's Putin says oil price above $50/bbl is fair
- 20.10.2017Putin regrets that disrespect shown for Trump in US
- 19.10.2017Putin: Russia ready to move towards universal nuclear disarmament
- 19.10.2017Russian TV host Ksenia Sobchak declares Kremlin bid for 2018
- 18.10.2017Pedro Agramunt receives honorary doctorate from Russian higher school
- 18.10.2017One of main sponsors of separatist regime in Karabakh dies
- 18.10.2017Moscow police detain Armenian taxi driver accused of poisoning almost 100 people to death
- 18.10.2017Russia testing new Silo-Based ballistic missile
- 17.10.2017Lavrov: Agreement on UNSC reform unrealistic in next couple of years
- 16.10.2017Putin signs decree to implement UNSC sanctions on North Korea
- 16.10.2017Lavrov comments on construction of subsea pipeline in Caspian Sea
- 16.10.2017Armenian citizen shot dead in downtown Moscow
- 14.10.2017Russian FSB, police detain İSİL supporters preparing terrorist attacks
- 14.10.2017Russian President: "Fight against terror should be free from double standards"
- 13.10.2017Lavrov urges to give up on escalating tensions around DPRK
- 11.10.2017Putin: Volume of trade between CIS countries has reached $75 billion
- 11.10.2017Lukashenko criticizes CIS Interparliamentary Assembly for low efficiency
- 11.10.201718 documents inked at CIS summit in Sochi
- 11.10.2017Tajikistan takes over CIS presidency
- 11.10.2017Putin stresses need to increase effectiveness of CIS
- 11.10.2017Turkmen president gives Putin Central Asian pooch as gift
- 10.10.2017Several documents signed at CIS Ministerial Council meeting
- 09.10.2017House fire kills five in Russia
- 06.10.201717 killed, 12 others injured as train collides with bus in central Russia - UPDATED
- 06.10.2017Four Russian nationals abroad suspected of false phone bomb threats in Russia
- 05.10.2017Armenian businessman shot dead in Moscow
- 05.10.2017Russian Investigative Committee refuses to open criminal case against historian who exposed Armenian lies
- 05.10.2017Terror threat for CIS countries remains high: Anti-Terrorism Center
- 04.10.2017Saudi King arrives in Moscow for first ever visit
- 04.10.2017CIS foreign ministers to meet in Sochi
- 04.10.2017Severed human legs found next to supermarket in Moscow
- 04.10.2017Conditions for defeating terrorists, returning to peaceful life in Syria created — Lavrov
- 04.10.2017Venezuela's Maduro Travels to Russia For Energy Talks
- 03.10.2017Saakashvili's issue must be resolved through legal means: Ukrainian FM
- 30.09.2017Mammadbagir Aliyev elected to RAS Presidium
- 29.09.2017Shootout at Russian military base leaves 3 dead, 2 wounded
- 29.09.2017Two pilots die in military aircraft crash in Ukraine
- 27.09.2017Ukraine detains suspects behind massive blaze at ammo depot in Vinnytsia
- 27.09.2017Dagestan leader Ramazan Abdulatipov writes resignation letter
- 18.01.2017OSCE aims to help resolve conflict in eastern Ukraine: Chairperson
- 18.01.2017Russian top diplomat believes OSCE may play important role in settling Ukrainian crisis
- 19.01.2017Russian citizens to visit Armenia with internal passports
- 17.01.2017Poroshenko says meeting with Trump agreed
- 17.01.2017Lavrov: Russia "did right thing" by starting its anti-terrorism campaign in Syria
- 17.01.2017Ukraine files suit against Russia for allegedly violating UN conventions