Putin calls US anti-Russia election campaign rhetoric ‘big mistake’
"Unfortunately, the United States developed a fashion to speculate and, I’d say, abuse the Russian issue during election campaigns. Then they tell us, ‘Don't you pay attention to this! You need to understand that this is just election rhetoric, we will come to agreement with you later.’ But sacrificing international relations in the course of current political processes is, I believe, a big mistake," Putin said in his interview with US filmmaker Oliver Stone for documentary series, the first part of which was broadcast by the Showtime channel late on Monday.
According to the president, Moscow cannot welcome Pentagon’s statements about Russia being the main threat to the United States.
"On the contrary, we were always ready for the dialogue pretty much on any track of cooperation," Putin said.
Putin also believes that Western media call him Tzar because they like such an old stereotype.
"They seem to like it, that's why they talk about it. They cannot get rid of these old stereotypes," Putin said.
The US spends large amounts on defense while it should focus on building equal relations with Russia instead, Russian President said.
"In 2016, under various estimations, [the US spent] more than $600 billion [on defense]. This, of course, is beyond limits. This is more than all the countries of the world spend for this purpose put together," Putin said.
"The main thing that Russia has, is its people with its self-consciousness. This people cannot exist outside its sovereignty, its statehood, and this understanding, and not the threat of a retaliatory nuclear strike, should set all our Western partners on building long-term equitable relations with Russia. And then one will not need to spend such money on defense," Putin said.
The first part of the documentary series was aired by the Showtime broadcaster on Monday night.
Related news releases
- 17.11.2017Six inmates slash their wrists in Moscow court
- 17.11.2017Minibus collides with truck in Volga Area, 15 dead
- 15.11.2017Russia’s State Duma passes amendments to foreign agent media law
- 14.11.2017Defense Ministry provides explanation on wrong photos attached to Abu Kamal statement
- 14.11.2017Russia detains 69 extremists in the Moscow region
- 14.11.2017Prisoner escapes in Armenia
- 13.11.2017Putin, Erdogan hold joint press conference after meeting in Sochi
- 13.11.2017Turkish, Russian presidents meet in Sochi
- 10.11.2017Russian, Turkish presidents to meet in Sochi on Nov. 13
- 10.11.2017Students continue protests in Yerevan
- 10.11.2017Syria deal could be announced after Trump-Putin meeting friday
- 09.11.2017Putin informed about collapse of residential building in Izhevsk
- 09.11.2017Several dead, injured as 9-storey building collapses in Russia
- 07.11.2017Russia's Communist Party organizes march celebrating 100th anniversary of October Revolution in Moscow
- 07.11.2017Russian State Duma delegation to visit Azerbaijan
- 05.11.2017Kremlin: Syrian settlement is considered as a topic for Putin-Trump meeting
- 03.11.2017Man serving life sentence for 1999 Armenia parliament tragedy dies at night
- 02.11.2017Kremlin confirms preparation for Putin-Erdogan meeting underway
- 01.11.2017ATC: Most of websites engaged in terrorist recruitment in CIS managed from abroad
- 01.11.2017Russian president arrives in Tehran
- 01.11.2017Another round of Astana talks on Syria to be held in late December
- 31.10.2017Russia hopes Syria will be liberated from terrorists in one or two months
- 31.10.2017Ukraine interior minister's son detained
- 31.10.2017Lavrov: Russia needs legal guarantees to extend Turkish Stream gas pipeline to EU soil
- 31.10.2017Moscow doesn’t rule out visa-free regime with Georgia
- 31.10.2017Wife of Russian accused of Putin assassination plot shot dead in Kiev
- 30.10.2017Man breaks into kindergarten in Armenia, takes hostages
- 27.10.2017Russia neutralizes threats along western borders by beefing up troop combat strength
- 27.10.2017Lavrov: Russia’s non-commercial organizations should promote idea of Eurasian integration in CIS
- 27.10.2017Putin test-fires ballistic missiles in strategic nuclear force command and control drills
- 27.10.2017Kazakhstan President orders transition to Latin-based alphabet
- 27.10.2017Western companies hardest hit by anti-Russia sanctions — Russian minister
- 26.10.2017Russia will respond to Twitter's RT, Sputnik ad ban - Russian Foreign Ministry
- 26.10.2017One man killed, three wounded in Kiev explosion
- 25.10.2017Kremlin slams Sobchak’s statement on Crimea as totally wrong
- 25.10.2017Turkmen leader tours Ashgabat on horseback - VIDEO
- 25.10.2017President Poroshenko awards Azerbaijani officer of Ukrainian National Guard
- 24.10.2017Russia vetoes UN extension of gas attack probe in Syria
- 24.10.2017Ksenia Sobchak: Crimea belongs to Ukraine under law
- 23.10.2017Russian national guard officer eliminated after killing 4 colleagues in Chechnya
- 13.06.2017Putin: Us provided support to terrorists in Russia's Chechnya
- 14.06.2017Putin calls attempts to disturb world nuclear balance 'big mistake'
- 15.06.2017Famous Russian actor Alexei Batalov dies
- 11.06.2017Man who opened fire from shotgun in township near Moscow eliminated by police
- 10.06.2017Two killed in shooting in Moscow region
- 09.06.2017Granddaughter of Cold War-era Soviet leader dies after being hit by train near Moscow