Putin calls for enhancing capability of nuclear forces
Russian President Vlamir Putin on Thursday called for enhancing the combat capability of Russia's nuclear forcesç APA reports quoting Anadolu.
Putin's remarks came during the annual meeting of the Defense Ministry Board in Russia.
In a statement released by the Kremlin, Putin said: "We need to enhance the combat capability of strategic nuclear forces, primarily by strengthening missile complexes that will be guaranteed to penetrate existing and future missile defense systems.
"Strategic non-nuclear forces must also reach a new level of sophistication so as to neutralize any military threats Russia may face."
He said Russia remains “stronger than any potential aggressor". But, he warned that any relaxation could change the situation "quickly".
"We need to do a great deal to strengthen the nuclear triad, to improve the missile warning system and the Aerospace Forces, but there is even more we need to do in the Navy and the Army," Putin added in the statement.
Related news releases
- 28.03.2017Russian strategic missile carriers to take part in military drills in Tajikistan
- 28.03.2017Putin, Rouhani make joint statement for press
- 28.03.2017Ukraine Prime Minister accepts invitation to visit Georgia in November
- 27.03.2017Russian opposition activist gets 15 days in jail
- 27.03.2017Lavrov slams West’s reaction to protests across Russia as usual double-standards
- 27.03.2017Russian Security Service busts hardcore arms smugglers
- 26.03.2017New US sanctions mean continuation of anti-Russian course – Russian Lawmaker
- 24.03.2017Russian FM comments on reports on sending of military convoy to Armenia through Georgia
- 24.03.2017IS assumes responsibility for attack on Russian National Guard base
- 24.03.2017Vladimir Putin meets French far-right candidate Marine Le Pen in Moscow
- 24.03.2017Russian ex-MP Voronenkov’s assassin was named as Pavel Parshov
- 24.03.2017Six Russian militants killed in attempted attack on National Guard in Chechnya
- 24.03.2017Ukrainian Interior Ministry: Voronenkov was killed by Russian intelligence agent
- 23.03.2017Kremlin slams absurd claims about alleged ‘Russian link’ to politician's murder
- 23.03.2017Moscow shocked by Russian ex-lawmaker's 'demonstrative' killing in Kiev
- 23.03.2017Former member of Russia’s State Duma gunned down in Kiev
- 23.03.2017Depot fire in Ukraine's Kharkiv caused by sabotage - military prosecutor - UPDATED
- 23.03.2017Ukraine says sanctions on Russian banks to start from Thursday
- 22.03.2017Former 'defense minister' of so-called NK Republic detained
- 22.03.2017Russia’s Eurovision contestant may be banned from entering Ukraine for 3 years
- 19.03.2017Clashes occur between demonstrators and police in Yerevan
- 19.03.20172,000 protest against St.Isaac Cathedral’s transfer to Orthodox Church in St. Petersburg
- 18.03.2017No explosives found at Moscow railway station after bomb threat call
- 17.03.2017Russia issues int’l arrest warrant for Baku-born woman over alleged involvement in armed groups
- 17.03.2017Blast at coke factory in Zaporizhya claims four lives
- 17.03.2017A protest action takes place in the center of Yerevan
- 16.03.2017Ukraine's national bank proposes sanctions against Russian banks
- 16.03.2017Russia to assist Armenia-Turkey talks – Lavrov
- 16.03.2017Moscow believes restoration of co-op with Ankara will serve stability in South Caucasus
- 15.03.2017Putin, Sargsyan meet in Moscow
- 15.03.2017Liberal Democrats walk out of Duma session after corruption row with United Russia
- 15.03.2017Russia's Lavrov slams allegations of Moscow’s new imperial ambition as hoax
- 15.03.2017Russian special services prevented a major terrorist attack planned in Moscow
- 15.03.2017Putin, Sargsyan to discuss Nagorno-Karabakh conflict settlement
- 14.03.2017Kremlin: No decision on Russian UN ambassador candidacy as of yet
- 13.03.2017Russia’s representative may be banned from Eurovision 2017 in Kiev
- 13.03.2017Military exercises launched in Russia’s south
- 12.03.2017Astana ready to host talks on Syria on March 14-15 - Kazakhstan’s foreign ministry
- 11.03.2017Moscow cinema evacuated over bomb alert
- 10.03.2017Putin: "I'd like to emphasize that we view Turkey as our key partner"
- 23.12.2016Siberian methanol poisoning death toll rises to 74 - health authority
- 23.12.2016Putin holds major annual press conference
- 23.12.2016“Ilham Aliyev. Portrait of the President on the background of changes” book presented in Moscow
- 22.12.2016Ambassador Karlov laid to rest at Moscow cemetery
- 22.12.2016Joseph Stalin's grandson dies in Moscow
- 22.12.2016Bath lotion kills 71 in Russia's Irkutsk