Putin calls for enhancing capability of nuclear forces
Russian President Vlamir Putin on Thursday called for enhancing the combat capability of Russia's nuclear forcesç APA reports quoting Anadolu.
Putin's remarks came during the annual meeting of the Defense Ministry Board in Russia.
In a statement released by the Kremlin, Putin said: "We need to enhance the combat capability of strategic nuclear forces, primarily by strengthening missile complexes that will be guaranteed to penetrate existing and future missile defense systems.
"Strategic non-nuclear forces must also reach a new level of sophistication so as to neutralize any military threats Russia may face."
He said Russia remains “stronger than any potential aggressor". But, he warned that any relaxation could change the situation "quickly".
"We need to do a great deal to strengthen the nuclear triad, to improve the missile warning system and the Aerospace Forces, but there is even more we need to do in the Navy and the Army," Putin added in the statement.
Related news releases
- 21.08.2017US suspends procedure of issuing nonimmigrant visas throughout Russia
- 09.08.2017Russian Defense Ministry renovating major facilities for FIFA World Cup
- 08.08.2017Russia's Putin visits breakaway Georgian region of Abkhazia: Kremlin
- 06.08.2017Russia’s ex-envoy to US says his talks with Flynn were about Russian-US cooperation
- 05.08.2017Russian minister says U.S. exit from Paris pact "terrible mistake"
- 05.08.2017Russia says reserves right to retaliate over new EU sanctions
- 04.08.2017Russian deputy minister blacklisted in new EU sanctions over Siemens turbines to Crimea
- 03.08.2017Kremlin: Moldova Gov't Declaring Rogozin Persona Non-Grata Unacceptable
- 02.08.2017Russian PM Medvedev on new sanctions: 'US declares full-fledged trade war'
- 02.08.2017Moldovan gov't declares Russian Deputy Prime Minister Rogozin Persona Non-Grata
- 02.08.2017Georgian officials strongly criticize Putin’s forthcoming visit to Abkhazia
- 01.08.2017Moscow court shooting: Three 'Grand Theft Auto' gang members killed in bungled bid to escape trial
- 01.08.2017Four killed in shooting at Moscow court: lawyer
- 01.08.2017Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan continue talks on border settlement - Kyrgyz Government
- 30.07.2017Russia to continue delivering rocket engines to US — deputy premier
- 29.07.2017Moldova demands Russia to withdraw its troops from Transnistria
- 28.07.2017Russia orders out U.S. diplomats in sanctions retaliation
- 28.07.2017Russia suspends US embassy use of diplomatic properties in Moscow
- 28.07.20177 suspected terrorists detained in St. Petersburg
- 28.07.2017Uzbek prosecutors charge ex-leader's daughter of 6 criminal offenses
- 27.07.2017Putin: We'll have to retaliate against 'illegal' U.S. sanctions
- 27.07.2017Russia's response to U.S. sanctions to hinge on final bill text: Putin
- 26.07.2017Ukraine deports Russian journalist
- 26.07.2017Russia calls US source of danger
- 25.07.2017Man planning to fly to Syria to join ISIL via Baku detained in Russia
- 25.07.2017Applicants for higher education decreasing in numbers in Armenia
- 25.07.2017Trump slams AG Sessions' 'weak' position on Clinton emails
- 22.07.2017Lavrov says US continues support to some opposition groups in Syria
- 20.07.2017Kremlin says not considering Lapshin’s extradition to Russia
- 18.07.2017Russia reiterates its restrained stance on North Korean issue settlement
- 18.07.2017Fire in Mosow high-rise extinguished - UPDATED
- 17.07.2017Sargsyan: Russia’s sale of arms to Azerbaijan is most painful aspect of Armenia-Russia relations
- 16.07.2017Suspects in attack on Russian tourists in Abkhazia identified - security service
- 14.07.2017Russia's Putin hopes dialogue with Trump will continue
- 14.07.2017Lawmaker Zhirinovsky: United Russian-Armenian military group should be under Russian command
- 14.07.2017Russian Duma ratifies agreement to keep 49-year presence at Syrian naval and air base
- 14.07.2017Russia ratifies agreement on joint group of forces with Armenia
- 14.07.2017Moscow threatens to reduce number of American diplomats at US embassy
- 14.07.2017The State Duma will consider ratification of the agreement with Armenia
- 13.07.2017Sergei Lavrov: "Russia does not support Assad"
- 23.12.2016Siberian methanol poisoning death toll rises to 74 - health authority
- 23.12.2016Putin holds major annual press conference
- 23.12.2016“Ilham Aliyev. Portrait of the President on the background of changes” book presented in Moscow
- 22.12.2016Ambassador Karlov laid to rest at Moscow cemetery
- 22.12.2016Joseph Stalin's grandson dies in Moscow
- 22.12.2016Bath lotion kills 71 in Russia's Irkutsk