Putin calls attempts to disturb world nuclear balance 'big mistake'
"When the United States created an atomic bomb and the Soviet Union began to actively develop this program, domestic, foreign scientists, primarily Germans, worked in Russia. But our intelligence received a huge amount of information from the United States," Putin told in one of the fragments from the documentary series, published on the US TV channel Showtime YouTube page late on Tuesday.
The Russian president spoke about the case of Julius and Ethel Rosenberg, who were executed in the electric chair in 1953 after being convicted of passing technical information about building an atomic bomb to the Soviet Union.
"They just had been getting the information. And who had been passing it? The scientists, who developed the American atomic bomb," Putin stressed.
The Russian leader stressed that "they realized the danger, they released the genie from the bottle."
"It is impossible to get it back in there. And this international team of scientists — probably they were cleverer that politicians — I think, they deliberately passed this information to the Soviet Union so that the nuclear balance in the world could be restored," Putin noted, adding that "we are now trying to disturb this balance," which "is a big mistake."
The second episode of the four-part documentary series by Stone, called "The Putin Interviews," will be aired on the television network on Tuesday night, while the remaining two parts are to be broadcast later in the week.
The first part of the documentary was aired by the Showtime broadcaster on Monday night.
Related news releases
- 21.04.2018Russian media company correspondent killed in Syria
- 20.04.2018Pashinyan: Situation is not under Serzh Sargsyan’s control
- 20.04.2018Democratic Party sues Russia, Trump campaign for allegedly disrupting 2016 election
- 20.04.2018Armenian police detain 183 opposition activists - UPDATED
- 20.04.2018Putin, Trump will not allow armed confrontation between Russia, US – Lavrov
- 19.04.2018Nikol Pashinyan: "We resume action of total blocking of Yerevan streets"
- 19.04.2018Russia and US may be left without direct flights due to Aeroflot’s visa difficulties
- 19.04.2018Militants who attacked UN Mission in Douma were warned in advance
- 19.04.2018Journalist gets beaten during mass protest in Armenia
- 18.04.2018Opposition march toward Republic Square
- 17.04.2018The Armenian opposition announced the creation of a committee of "velvet revolution"
- 17.04.2018Serzh Sargsyan elected Armenia’s PM
- 17.04.2018FSB exposes IS cell plotting terrorist attacks in Russia
- 16.04.2018Armenian opposition leader urges to block parliament building
- 16.04.201822 injured after demonstrators clash with police in Yerevan
- 16.04.2018Armenia’s Republican Party formally nominates Sargsyan’s candidacy as next PM
- 16.04.2018Armenians protest Sargsyan's appointment as PM
- 15.04.2018Kazakhstan warns of further military de-escalation in Syria
- 14.04.2018Opposition-led protesters break into building of Armenian public radio
- 14.04.2018Serzh Sargsyan nominated for Armenia’s PM
- 14.04.2018Syrian downs 71 out of 103 US coalition cruise missiles: Russian military
- 14.04.2018Putin: Operation launched by US and allies is aggression against sovereign state
- 14.04.2018Russian Defence Ministry: Over 100 missiles fired at Syria
- 14.04.2018Russian Foreign Ministry: "You shelled Syria's capital at the moment when it had gained a chance of a peaceful future"
- 13.04.2018Three wounded in landmine explosion in Armenia
- 13.04.2018Russia calls for emergency UN Security Council meeting
- 12.04.2018Russia asks US to solve problems at 'negotiating table'
- 12.04.2018Russia resumes flights to Egypt
- 11.04.2018Putin expects common sense to prevail amid global tensions
- 11.04.2018Putin's inauguration scheduled for 7 May
- 11.04.2018Moscow to Trump: Are ‘smart’ missiles an attempt to destroy alleged chem attack evidence in Syria?
- 11.04.2018Helicopter Crashes in Russian City of Khabarovsk
- 09.04.2018Russia’s Lavrov calls on Turkey to return Afrin to Damascus control
- 09.04.2018Kazakh TV presenter dies as her leg gets stuck in elevator door
- 09.04.2018Presidential inauguration held in Armenia
- 08.04.2018Russian Aerospace Forces to get three S-400 regimental sets this year — Defense Ministry
- 06.04.2018Russia appoints new ambassador to Armenia
- 05.04.2018Azerbaijani President: "Our personal relations with Vladimir Putin are one of the major factors for successful bilateral relations"
- 04.04.2018Russian foreign intelligence chief says Washington’s system of vassalage has failed
- 04.04.2018Patrushev: Some countries claim to act as global prosecutors and judges all in one
- 15.06.2017Famous Russian actor Alexei Batalov dies
- 15.06.2017Putin says not surprised over US Senate’s attempts to tighten anti-Russian sanctions
- 15.06.2017Lukashenko considers foreign interference in conflicts in post-Soviet territory unacceptable
- 13.06.2017Putin: Us provided support to terrorists in Russia's Chechnya
- 13.06.2017Putin calls US anti-Russia election campaign rhetoric ‘big mistake’
- 11.06.2017Man who opened fire from shotgun in township near Moscow eliminated by police