Putin calls attempts to disturb world nuclear balance 'big mistake'
"When the United States created an atomic bomb and the Soviet Union began to actively develop this program, domestic, foreign scientists, primarily Germans, worked in Russia. But our intelligence received a huge amount of information from the United States," Putin told in one of the fragments from the documentary series, published on the US TV channel Showtime YouTube page late on Tuesday.
The Russian president spoke about the case of Julius and Ethel Rosenberg, who were executed in the electric chair in 1953 after being convicted of passing technical information about building an atomic bomb to the Soviet Union.
"They just had been getting the information. And who had been passing it? The scientists, who developed the American atomic bomb," Putin stressed.
The Russian leader stressed that "they realized the danger, they released the genie from the bottle."
"It is impossible to get it back in there. And this international team of scientists — probably they were cleverer that politicians — I think, they deliberately passed this information to the Soviet Union so that the nuclear balance in the world could be restored," Putin noted, adding that "we are now trying to disturb this balance," which "is a big mistake."
The second episode of the four-part documentary series by Stone, called "The Putin Interviews," will be aired on the television network on Tuesday night, while the remaining two parts are to be broadcast later in the week.
The first part of the documentary was aired by the Showtime broadcaster on Monday night.
Related news releases
- 23.09.2017“DPR minister” wounded in assassination attempt in Donetsk
- 22.09.2017Lavrov calls on US-led coalition not to spare Jabhat al-Nusra
- 21.09.2017Kazakhstan’s former prime minister released from prison
- 20.09.2017Russian FM: "Russia interested in bringing ties with US back to normal"
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijani shot dead in Moscow
- 18.09.2017People's Artist of USSR Zurab Sotkilava dies at 80
- 17.09.2017Russian Foreign Ministry: Lavrov and Tillerson discuss Syria by phone
- 17.09.2017Russian eastern Kamchatka region hit by 5.6-magnitude quake
- 16.09.2017Russia’s Yak-130 crashes during training flight
- 16.09.2017Fire occurred in nursing home in Russia
- 16.09.20173 dead after children’s camp burns down in Odessa, Ukraine
- 15.09.2017Putin discusses North Korean missile test with his security council: agencies
- 15.09.2017Shots in downtown Yerevan, one dead
- 14.09.2017Editor of Interfax agency found dead
- 12.09.2017Putin has not yet announced his participation in 2018 election – Kremlin
- 09.09.2017At least one dead as car explodes in central Kiev
- 05.09.2017Russia, Egypt oppose Myanmar violence, call for control over situation – Putin
- 05.09.2017Putin and Moon condemn North Korea over missile test: Kremlin
- 05.09.2017Uzbek leader reshuffles security officials, removes veteran defense minister
- 01.09.2017US decision on Russian diplomatic property 'illegal seizure' - Putin's aide
- 01.09.2017Lavrov: Moscow will react to latest step of US
- 01.09.2017Russia simplifies citizenship procedure for Ukrainians
- 31.08.2017Methane blast kills 3 at Kazakhstan coal mine
- 30.08.2017Russian TV journalist to be deported from Ukraine - UPDATED
- 29.08.2017Armenia’s deputy defense minister relieved of duty
- 24.08.2017Two injured as blast hits central Kiev
- 24.08.2017US State Department considers sending weapons to Ukraine
- 24.08.2017Poroshenko: Over 10,000 Ukrainians killed in Donbas military aggression
- 24.08.2017US will never accept annexation of Crimea – Pentagon chief
- 24.08.2017Russia readies for huge military exercises as tensions with west simmer
- 22.08.2017Putin, Sargsyan to mull Karabakh settlement in Sochi
- 21.08.2017Armenian army officer found dead with gunshot wound on his jaw
- 21.08.2017US suspends procedure of issuing nonimmigrant visas throughout Russia
- 09.08.2017Russian Defense Ministry renovating major facilities for FIFA World Cup
- 08.08.2017Russia's Putin visits breakaway Georgian region of Abkhazia: Kremlin
- 06.08.2017Russia’s ex-envoy to US says his talks with Flynn were about Russian-US cooperation
- 05.08.2017Russian minister says U.S. exit from Paris pact "terrible mistake"
- 05.08.2017Russia says reserves right to retaliate over new EU sanctions
- 04.08.2017Russian deputy minister blacklisted in new EU sanctions over Siemens turbines to Crimea
- 03.08.2017Kremlin: Moldova Gov't Declaring Rogozin Persona Non-Grata Unacceptable
- 15.06.2017Famous Russian actor Alexei Batalov dies
- 15.06.2017Putin says not surprised over US Senate’s attempts to tighten anti-Russian sanctions
- 15.06.2017Lukashenko considers foreign interference in conflicts in post-Soviet territory unacceptable
- 13.06.2017Putin: Us provided support to terrorists in Russia's Chechnya
- 13.06.2017Putin calls US anti-Russia election campaign rhetoric ‘big mistake’
- 11.06.2017Man who opened fire from shotgun in township near Moscow eliminated by police