Over half of Russians want Lenin’s body to be buried - poll
At least 58 percent of Russians think Lenin’s body should be taken from the Red Square Mausoleum and properly buried, though the majority don’t want the monument to the Bolshevik leader to be removed from Moscow’s main square, a new poll indicates, APA reported citing Interfax.
The poll was conducted by the Levada Center, a Russian non-governmental polling and sociological research group. It was released on the eve of the Bolshevik leader’s birthday.
Around 1,600 people from 137 Russian cities and towns took part in the poll between March 31 and April 3.
According to the survey, 32 percent of those who agreed the body of the communist revolutionary leader should be moved from Red Square want to bury him near the Kremlin walls.
Another 26 percent want to bury Lenin in Volkovo Cemetery in St. Petersburg, where many artists, musicians, and politicians were laid to rest. Lenin’s mother and sister are also buried there.
The majority of respondents, 78 percent, said they were against removing Lenin’s monument from Red Square.
According to the poll, the proportion of Russians positively disposed towards Lenin’s policies jumped from 40 percent in 2006 to 56 percent.
The pollsters also asked the respondents to evaluate the role of the Bolshevik leader in the history of Russia, and 26 percent said that Lenin will live on in people’s memory but no one will follow in his path. Another 23 percent said that Lenin led the country to progress and equality, while 21 percent answered that his ideas were distorted by his followers.
Related news releases
- 22.07.2017Lavrov says US continues support to some opposition groups in Syria
- 20.07.2017Kremlin says not considering Lapshin’s extradition to Russia
- 18.07.2017Russia reiterates its restrained stance on North Korean issue settlement
- 18.07.2017Fire in Mosow high-rise extinguished - UPDATED
- 17.07.2017Sargsyan: Russia’s sale of arms to Azerbaijan is most painful aspect of Armenia-Russia relations
- 16.07.2017Suspects in attack on Russian tourists in Abkhazia identified - security service
- 14.07.2017Russia's Putin hopes dialogue with Trump will continue
- 14.07.2017Lawmaker Zhirinovsky: United Russian-Armenian military group should be under Russian command
- 14.07.2017Russian Duma ratifies agreement to keep 49-year presence at Syrian naval and air base
- 14.07.2017Russia ratifies agreement on joint group of forces with Armenia
- 14.07.2017Moscow threatens to reduce number of American diplomats at US embassy
- 14.07.2017The State Duma will consider ratification of the agreement with Armenia
- 13.07.2017Sergei Lavrov: "Russia does not support Assad"
- 13.07.2017Boris Nemtsov killer sentenced to 20 years in prison
- 12.07.2017Russian defense adviser killed in militant attack in Hama, Syria
- 08.07.2017Putin: US position on Syria became more pragmatic
- 05.07.2017Astana, Washington sign 5-year defense cooperation plan
- 05.07.2017Anatoly Serdyukov to head Rostvertol’s board of directors
- 04.07.2017Chinese president says ties with Putin stronger than with any other leader
- 02.07.201710 people killed, 12 injured in bus, truck crash in Russia's Tatarstan
- 01.07.2017Putin has phone talks with Qatar, Bahrain on Gulf row
- 01.07.2017Almost 120 flights delayed in Moscow over heavy rainfall
- 30.06.2017Russia cuts contribution to Council of Europe
- 30.06.2017Number of Kyrgyz presidential candidates reaches 11
- 29.06.2017Medvedev:"Sanctions will still influence Russian economy in coming years"
- 28.06.2017Armenia concerned over Russia’s selling weapons to Azerbaijan
- 27.06.2017Ukrainian serviceman killed in car bomb
- 27.06.2017Russia's Lavrov, U.S. Secretary of State Tillerson discuss Syrian conflict
- 24.06.2017Russian Foreign Ministry: Conflict around Qatar should be settled by diplomatic means
- 23.06.2017Russian FM: US sanction pressure on Moscow 'illusory'
- 21.06.2017Russian Su-27 warns off NATO F-16 trying to approach defense minister’s plane over Baltic
- 20.06.2017Moscow confirms new Astana meeting on Syria slated for July 4-5
- 16.06.2017Russia's Caspian Flotilla launches exercises in Makhachkala
- 16.06.2017Putin: US Always Interfered in Russian Elections, Especially in 2012
- 15.06.2017Putin says Russia ready for constructive dialogue with USA
- 15.06.2017Putin: Russia will analyze situation in Donbass to take right decision
- 15.06.2017Putin says ready to cooperate with opposition
- 15.06.2017Lukashenko considers foreign interference in conflicts in post-Soviet territory unacceptable
- 15.06.2017Putin says not surprised over US Senate’s attempts to tighten anti-Russian sanctions
- 15.06.2017Famous Russian actor Alexei Batalov dies
- 21.04.2017Protest staged outside government building in Yerevan
- 22.04.2017Russian serviceman killed in Armenia
- 24.04.2017Mogherini: EU still has disagreements with Russia on Ukraine issue
- 21.04.2017Unidentified gunman opens fire in FSB office in Russia’s Khabarovsk
- 21.04.2017Russian army pilots in Armenia hold night trainings
- 21.04.2017State of counter-terror operation imposed in two districts in Dagestan