Over half of Russians want Lenin’s body to be buried - poll
At least 58 percent of Russians think Lenin’s body should be taken from the Red Square Mausoleum and properly buried, though the majority don’t want the monument to the Bolshevik leader to be removed from Moscow’s main square, a new poll indicates, APA reported citing Interfax.
The poll was conducted by the Levada Center, a Russian non-governmental polling and sociological research group. It was released on the eve of the Bolshevik leader’s birthday.
Around 1,600 people from 137 Russian cities and towns took part in the poll between March 31 and April 3.
According to the survey, 32 percent of those who agreed the body of the communist revolutionary leader should be moved from Red Square want to bury him near the Kremlin walls.
Another 26 percent want to bury Lenin in Volkovo Cemetery in St. Petersburg, where many artists, musicians, and politicians were laid to rest. Lenin’s mother and sister are also buried there.
The majority of respondents, 78 percent, said they were against removing Lenin’s monument from Red Square.
According to the poll, the proportion of Russians positively disposed towards Lenin’s policies jumped from 40 percent in 2006 to 56 percent.
The pollsters also asked the respondents to evaluate the role of the Bolshevik leader in the history of Russia, and 26 percent said that Lenin will live on in people’s memory but no one will follow in his path. Another 23 percent said that Lenin led the country to progress and equality, while 21 percent answered that his ideas were distorted by his followers.
Related news releases
- 24.05.2017CIS defense ministers to meet in Moscow
- 24.05.2017Maria Zakharova: "Mechanism of alerting on cyber attacks practically never used by US"
- 22.05.2017Putin to meet with Macron in Paris on May 29
- 22.05.2017Russia, Turkey sign joint statement on mutual lifting of trade restrictions
- 22.05.2017Turkmenistan: Report claims deputy PM committed suicide
- 19.05.2017Jail term extended for “ex-defense minister” of Karabakh separatist regime
- 19.05.2017OSCE chief says current challenges to European security require cooperation
- 18.05.2017Ara Babloyan from ruling RPA elected Armenian parliament speaker
- 18.05.2017Armenian president accepts government’s resignation
- 18.05.2017Putin offers transcript to prove Trump did not pass Russia secrets
- 17.05.2017EU, Ukraine sign visa liberalization agreement
- 17.05.2017One more Armenian soldier killed
- 17.05.2017Putin: Russia ready to provide US Congress with transcript of Trump-Lavrov talks
- 17.05.2017UN: Economic growth in CIS to make up 1.4% this year, 2% in 2018
- 15.05.2017Russian MFA employee shoots wife, daughter to death, then commits suicide
- 12.05.2017Russia to welcome any US contribution to setting up de-escalation zones in Syria — Lavrov
- 11.05.2017EU Council of Ministers decides on visa-free regime for Ukraine
- 10.05.2017Putin, Abbas to meet in Sochi to discuss Mideast settlement
- 09.05.2017Ambassador says Russia military base in Armenia could be expanded
- 09.05.2017Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov to start visit to US on Tuesday
- 06.05.2017Russia says Syria de-escalation deal to take effect at midnight: agencies
- 05.05.2017Russian, German top diplomats agree to continue Normandy-format efforts
- 03.05.2017Russia hopes for steady development of relations with Turkey — Putin
- 03.05.2017First deputy chief of Armenian General Staff dismissed
- 03.05.2017Putin and Trump stress importance of anti-terrorism cooperation
- 02.05.2017Russian Military Adviser Killed In Syria - Russian MoD
- 02.05.2017Kremlin reveals what Putin and Trump discussed over the phone - UPDATED
- 02.05.2017Survey: Majority of Russians desire Putin’s re-election as President
- 01.05.2017Russian FM Lavrov, US State Secretary Tillerson agree on date of next meeting
- 29.04.2017Russian foreign ministry: US anti-missile systems in Eastern Europe violate INF Treaty
- 29.04.2017Charges filed against rectors of three private universities in Armenia
- 29.04.2017Over 20 feared buried after landslide hits southern Kyrgyzstan
- 28.04.2017Merkel to discuss Ukrainian crisis, Syria with Putin
- 28.04.2017Russian prosecutors confirm bid urging Interpol to put Ukraine’s ex-PM on wanted list
- 28.04.2017Russia's PM Medvedev thanks Turkish premier for help in evacuating crew of wrecked ship
- 27.04.201713 people indicted for theft from EU Armenia delegation grant funds - UPDATED
- 26.04.2017Russia says U.S. missile strike on Syria was a threat to its forces
- 26.04.2017Sixth Moscow conference on int’l security kicks off
- 25.04.2017Russian schoolboy hospitalized after being attacked by lion
- 24.04.2017Georgian first lady’s brother sentenced to 4 years in prison
- 21.04.2017Protest staged outside government building in Yerevan
- 22.04.2017Russian serviceman killed in Armenia
- 24.04.2017Mogherini: EU still has disagreements with Russia on Ukraine issue
- 21.04.2017Unidentified gunman opens fire in FSB office in Russia’s Khabarovsk
- 21.04.2017Russian army pilots in Armenia hold night trainings
- 21.04.2017State of counter-terror operation imposed in two districts in Dagestan