OSCE Secretary General, Russian FM to mull Karabakh conflict
OSCE Secretary General Lamberto Zannier will discuss several regional conflicts, including the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov in Moscow April 26, Maria Zakharova, spokesperson for Russia’s Foreign Ministry told a briefing on April 19, APA’s correspondent reported form Moscow.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in December 1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 20.10.2017Sergey Lavrov meets with Council of Europe Secretary General
- 20.10.2017Russia's Putin says oil price above $50/bbl is fair
- 20.10.2017Putin regrets that disrespect shown for Trump in US
- 19.10.2017Putin: Russia ready to move towards universal nuclear disarmament
- 19.10.2017Russian TV host Ksenia Sobchak declares Kremlin bid for 2018
- 18.10.2017Pedro Agramunt receives honorary doctorate from Russian higher school
- 18.10.2017One of main sponsors of separatist regime in Karabakh dies
- 18.10.2017Moscow police detain Armenian taxi driver accused of poisoning almost 100 people to death
- 18.10.2017Russia testing new Silo-Based ballistic missile
- 17.10.2017Lavrov: Agreement on UNSC reform unrealistic in next couple of years
- 16.10.2017Putin signs decree to implement UNSC sanctions on North Korea
- 16.10.2017Lavrov comments on construction of subsea pipeline in Caspian Sea
- 16.10.2017Armenian citizen shot dead in downtown Moscow
- 14.10.2017Russian FSB, police detain İSİL supporters preparing terrorist attacks
- 14.10.2017Russian President: "Fight against terror should be free from double standards"
- 13.10.2017Lavrov urges to give up on escalating tensions around DPRK
- 11.10.2017Putin: Volume of trade between CIS countries has reached $75 billion
- 11.10.2017Lukashenko criticizes CIS Interparliamentary Assembly for low efficiency
- 11.10.201718 documents inked at CIS summit in Sochi
- 11.10.2017Tajikistan takes over CIS presidency
- 11.10.2017Putin stresses need to increase effectiveness of CIS
- 11.10.2017Turkmen president gives Putin Central Asian pooch as gift
- 10.10.2017Several documents signed at CIS Ministerial Council meeting
- 09.10.2017House fire kills five in Russia
- 06.10.201717 killed, 12 others injured as train collides with bus in central Russia - UPDATED
- 06.10.2017Four Russian nationals abroad suspected of false phone bomb threats in Russia
- 05.10.2017Armenian businessman shot dead in Moscow
- 05.10.2017Russian Investigative Committee refuses to open criminal case against historian who exposed Armenian lies
- 05.10.2017Terror threat for CIS countries remains high: Anti-Terrorism Center
- 04.10.2017Saudi King arrives in Moscow for first ever visit
- 04.10.2017CIS foreign ministers to meet in Sochi
- 04.10.2017Severed human legs found next to supermarket in Moscow
- 04.10.2017Conditions for defeating terrorists, returning to peaceful life in Syria created — Lavrov
- 04.10.2017Venezuela's Maduro Travels to Russia For Energy Talks
- 03.10.2017Saakashvili's issue must be resolved through legal means: Ukrainian FM
- 30.09.2017Mammadbagir Aliyev elected to RAS Presidium
- 29.09.2017Shootout at Russian military base leaves 3 dead, 2 wounded
- 29.09.2017Two pilots die in military aircraft crash in Ukraine
- 27.09.2017Ukraine detains suspects behind massive blaze at ammo depot in Vinnytsia
- 27.09.2017Dagestan leader Ramazan Abdulatipov writes resignation letter
- 19.04.2017Russia's FSB eliminates two Central Asian would-be terrorists in Vladimir region
- 19.04.2017Ukrainian MP slams Zaporozhye regional council for “Armenian genocide” statement
- 19.04.2017Russian journalist dies after attack in St. Petersburg
- 19.04.2017US F-22 fighter jets scrambled to intercept Russian strategic bombers near Alaska
- 18.04.2017Russian president congratulates Turkish counterpart on outcome of Turkey's Constitutional Referendum
- 18.04.2017Russia puts Moscow air defenses on high alert