Number of Kyrgyz presidential candidates reaches 11
The number of Kyrgyz presidential candidates has increased to 11.
Two people, Temir Sariev and Bakyt Torobayev, were nominated their parties, while the other nine are self-nominated, APA reported citing TASS.
The leader of the “Ata-Meken” opposition parliamentary faction Omurbek Tekebaev, who is currently in custody due to the initiation of a criminal case against him on corruption charges, is on the list of the self-nominated.
Omurbek Babanov, the former prime minister of the country and head of the Respublika Party, announced about the intention to take part in the elections as a candidate. And the political council of the pro-presidential Social Democratic Party of Kyrgyzstan (SDPK) decided to nominate the current head of the Cabinet of Ministers Sooronbay Jeenbekov. The party’s congress will be held on July 15.
Meanwhile, according to most local experts, not all of the nominated politicians actually plan to go through the registration procedure before August 15. To this end, they will need to collect at least 30,000 signatures of citizens in their support, take an examination on the Kyrgyz language, and put an electoral deposit of 1 million soms (about $15,000). According to political scientists, three or four people can really claim presidential office, and the remaining candidates are only engaged in political self-promotion on the background of the upcoming elections.
The election is scheduled for October 15. The current president Almazbek Atambayev will not take part in the election, as the law prohibits citizens from holding the Post of President for more than six years.
Related news releases
- 23.09.2017“DPR minister” wounded in assassination attempt in Donetsk
- 22.09.2017Lavrov calls on US-led coalition not to spare Jabhat al-Nusra
- 21.09.2017Kazakhstan’s former prime minister released from prison
- 20.09.2017Russian FM: "Russia interested in bringing ties with US back to normal"
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijani shot dead in Moscow
- 18.09.2017People's Artist of USSR Zurab Sotkilava dies at 80
- 17.09.2017Russian Foreign Ministry: Lavrov and Tillerson discuss Syria by phone
- 17.09.2017Russian eastern Kamchatka region hit by 5.6-magnitude quake
- 16.09.2017Russia’s Yak-130 crashes during training flight
- 16.09.2017Fire occurred in nursing home in Russia
- 16.09.20173 dead after children’s camp burns down in Odessa, Ukraine
- 15.09.2017Putin discusses North Korean missile test with his security council: agencies
- 15.09.2017Shots in downtown Yerevan, one dead
- 14.09.2017Editor of Interfax agency found dead
- 12.09.2017Putin has not yet announced his participation in 2018 election – Kremlin
- 09.09.2017At least one dead as car explodes in central Kiev
- 05.09.2017Russia, Egypt oppose Myanmar violence, call for control over situation – Putin
- 05.09.2017Putin and Moon condemn North Korea over missile test: Kremlin
- 05.09.2017Uzbek leader reshuffles security officials, removes veteran defense minister
- 01.09.2017US decision on Russian diplomatic property 'illegal seizure' - Putin's aide
- 01.09.2017Lavrov: Moscow will react to latest step of US
- 01.09.2017Russia simplifies citizenship procedure for Ukrainians
- 31.08.2017Methane blast kills 3 at Kazakhstan coal mine
- 30.08.2017Russian TV journalist to be deported from Ukraine - UPDATED
- 29.08.2017Armenia’s deputy defense minister relieved of duty
- 24.08.2017Two injured as blast hits central Kiev
- 24.08.2017US State Department considers sending weapons to Ukraine
- 24.08.2017Poroshenko: Over 10,000 Ukrainians killed in Donbas military aggression
- 24.08.2017US will never accept annexation of Crimea – Pentagon chief
- 24.08.2017Russia readies for huge military exercises as tensions with west simmer
- 22.08.2017Putin, Sargsyan to mull Karabakh settlement in Sochi
- 21.08.2017Armenian army officer found dead with gunshot wound on his jaw
- 21.08.2017US suspends procedure of issuing nonimmigrant visas throughout Russia
- 09.08.2017Russian Defense Ministry renovating major facilities for FIFA World Cup
- 08.08.2017Russia's Putin visits breakaway Georgian region of Abkhazia: Kremlin
- 06.08.2017Russia’s ex-envoy to US says his talks with Flynn were about Russian-US cooperation
- 05.08.2017Russian minister says U.S. exit from Paris pact "terrible mistake"
- 05.08.2017Russia says reserves right to retaliate over new EU sanctions
- 04.08.2017Russian deputy minister blacklisted in new EU sanctions over Siemens turbines to Crimea
- 03.08.2017Kremlin: Moldova Gov't Declaring Rogozin Persona Non-Grata Unacceptable
- 30.06.2017Russia cuts contribution to Council of Europe
- 01.07.2017Almost 120 flights delayed in Moscow over heavy rainfall
- 01.07.2017Putin has phone talks with Qatar, Bahrain on Gulf row
- 29.06.2017Medvedev:"Sanctions will still influence Russian economy in coming years"
- 28.06.2017Armenia concerned over Russia’s selling weapons to Azerbaijan
- 27.06.2017Ukrainian serviceman killed in car bomb