Number of Kyrgyz presidential candidates reaches 11
The number of Kyrgyz presidential candidates has increased to 11.
Two people, Temir Sariev and Bakyt Torobayev, were nominated their parties, while the other nine are self-nominated, APA reported citing TASS.
The leader of the “Ata-Meken” opposition parliamentary faction Omurbek Tekebaev, who is currently in custody due to the initiation of a criminal case against him on corruption charges, is on the list of the self-nominated.
Omurbek Babanov, the former prime minister of the country and head of the Respublika Party, announced about the intention to take part in the elections as a candidate. And the political council of the pro-presidential Social Democratic Party of Kyrgyzstan (SDPK) decided to nominate the current head of the Cabinet of Ministers Sooronbay Jeenbekov. The party’s congress will be held on July 15.
Meanwhile, according to most local experts, not all of the nominated politicians actually plan to go through the registration procedure before August 15. To this end, they will need to collect at least 30,000 signatures of citizens in their support, take an examination on the Kyrgyz language, and put an electoral deposit of 1 million soms (about $15,000). According to political scientists, three or four people can really claim presidential office, and the remaining candidates are only engaged in political self-promotion on the background of the upcoming elections.
The election is scheduled for October 15. The current president Almazbek Atambayev will not take part in the election, as the law prohibits citizens from holding the Post of President for more than six years.
Related news releases
- 21.06.2018Armenian military officer caught red-handed for embezzlement of technical supplies
- 21.06.2018Russia’s cooperation with UN to be in focus of Lavrov’s talks with UN Secretary General
- 21.06.2018Russian interior minister arrives in New York to attend UN Chiefs of Police Summit
- 16.06.2018Taxi rams into people in Moscow, at least 8 injured - UPDATED
- 14.06.2018Putin introduced Armenian PM to the President of Azerbaijan
- 13.06.2018Anton Vaino appointed head of Kremlin administration
- 12.06.2018Russian foreign minister praises Trump-Kim meeting
- 12.06.2018Ukraine, Russia fail to agree on UN peacekeeping mission
- 07.06.2018Gazprom appeals against assets seizure in Swiss Court
- 07.06.2018Russia-Armenia trade turnover up by 30 percent last year – Lavrov
- 07.06.2018Russian, Armenian FMs meet in Moscow
- 06.06.2018Russian defense minister: Terror is the main threat to CIS countries
- 06.06.2018Putin expects sanctions on Russia to be removed with time, relations with US to improve
- 05.06.2018Russia not trying to split EU, Putin says before rare visit to Western Europe
- 03.06.2018Counterterrorism operation regime introduced in Dagestan
- 01.06.2018NPP reactor will be closed for repair In Armenia
- 31.05.2018Russia to cut excise duties on diesel fuel, gasoline starting from June 1
- 31.05.2018Moscow "House of Books" allows presentation of American historian's book about the "Armenian Genocide" after APA's news
- 30.05.2018Russia slams Ukraine's staging reporter's murder as `anti-Russian provocation'
- 30.05.2018Russian journalist believed to be dead turns up alive at news conference
- 29.05.2018Putin appoints Russia’s new ambassador to Azerbaijan
- 29.05.2018Lavrov notes US not interested in cooperating with Russia on cybersecurity
- 29.05.2018Armenian serviceman dies in road accident
- 26.05.2018Putin: Turkey has right to choose its military aircraft
- 25.05.2018Plenary meeting held in Petersburg forum with participation of Russian, French and Japan leaders
- 25.05.2018Armenian president visits Georgia
- 25.05.2018Cancellation of US-North Korea summit is ‘testing humanity’s nerve’ — Russian senator
- 25.05.2018Second Syrian National Dialogue Congress planned to be held in Sochi next month
- 25.05.2018Man taking hostages in Moscow apartment detained
- 24.05.2018Man takes three hostages in Moscow - Interior Ministry
- 24.05.2018Russian Defense Ministry general detained
- 24.05.2018Man commits suicide after killing five in Russia
- 24.05.2018Armenia army chief to be dismissed
- 20.05.2018Pentagon says Moscow 'not doing enough' to fight terrorism within borders
- 20.05.2018All militants who attacked church in Grozny identified, says Chechnya’s head
- 18.05.2018Putin approves new cabinet
- 17.05.2018Putin Met With Assad in Sochi - Kremlin Spokesman
- 17.05.2018Putin: Defense Ministry allocates $24 billion for state defense order 2018
- 16.05.2018Protesters storm mayor’s building in Yerevan
- 16.05.2018Russian embassy warns of attempts to embroil other states in Skripal case
- 30.06.2017Russia cuts contribution to Council of Europe
- 01.07.2017Almost 120 flights delayed in Moscow over heavy rainfall
- 01.07.2017Putin has phone talks with Qatar, Bahrain on Gulf row
- 29.06.2017Medvedev:"Sanctions will still influence Russian economy in coming years"
- 28.06.2017Armenia concerned over Russia’s selling weapons to Azerbaijan
- 27.06.2017Ukrainian serviceman killed in car bomb