Number of Kyrgyz presidential candidates reaches 11
The number of Kyrgyz presidential candidates has increased to 11.
Two people, Temir Sariev and Bakyt Torobayev, were nominated their parties, while the other nine are self-nominated, APA reported citing TASS.
The leader of the “Ata-Meken” opposition parliamentary faction Omurbek Tekebaev, who is currently in custody due to the initiation of a criminal case against him on corruption charges, is on the list of the self-nominated.
Omurbek Babanov, the former prime minister of the country and head of the Respublika Party, announced about the intention to take part in the elections as a candidate. And the political council of the pro-presidential Social Democratic Party of Kyrgyzstan (SDPK) decided to nominate the current head of the Cabinet of Ministers Sooronbay Jeenbekov. The party’s congress will be held on July 15.
Meanwhile, according to most local experts, not all of the nominated politicians actually plan to go through the registration procedure before August 15. To this end, they will need to collect at least 30,000 signatures of citizens in their support, take an examination on the Kyrgyz language, and put an electoral deposit of 1 million soms (about $15,000). According to political scientists, three or four people can really claim presidential office, and the remaining candidates are only engaged in political self-promotion on the background of the upcoming elections.
The election is scheduled for October 15. The current president Almazbek Atambayev will not take part in the election, as the law prohibits citizens from holding the Post of President for more than six years.
Related news releases
- 21.04.2018Russian media company correspondent killed in Syria
- 20.04.2018Pashinyan: Situation is not under Serzh Sargsyan’s control
- 20.04.2018Democratic Party sues Russia, Trump campaign for allegedly disrupting 2016 election
- 20.04.2018Armenian police detain 183 opposition activists - UPDATED
- 20.04.2018Putin, Trump will not allow armed confrontation between Russia, US – Lavrov
- 19.04.2018Nikol Pashinyan: "We resume action of total blocking of Yerevan streets"
- 19.04.2018Russia and US may be left without direct flights due to Aeroflot’s visa difficulties
- 19.04.2018Militants who attacked UN Mission in Douma were warned in advance
- 19.04.2018Journalist gets beaten during mass protest in Armenia
- 18.04.2018Opposition march toward Republic Square
- 17.04.2018The Armenian opposition announced the creation of a committee of "velvet revolution"
- 17.04.2018Serzh Sargsyan elected Armenia’s PM
- 17.04.2018FSB exposes IS cell plotting terrorist attacks in Russia
- 16.04.2018Armenian opposition leader urges to block parliament building
- 16.04.201822 injured after demonstrators clash with police in Yerevan
- 16.04.2018Armenia’s Republican Party formally nominates Sargsyan’s candidacy as next PM
- 16.04.2018Armenians protest Sargsyan's appointment as PM
- 15.04.2018Kazakhstan warns of further military de-escalation in Syria
- 14.04.2018Opposition-led protesters break into building of Armenian public radio
- 14.04.2018Serzh Sargsyan nominated for Armenia’s PM
- 14.04.2018Syrian downs 71 out of 103 US coalition cruise missiles: Russian military
- 14.04.2018Putin: Operation launched by US and allies is aggression against sovereign state
- 14.04.2018Russian Defence Ministry: Over 100 missiles fired at Syria
- 14.04.2018Russian Foreign Ministry: "You shelled Syria's capital at the moment when it had gained a chance of a peaceful future"
- 13.04.2018Three wounded in landmine explosion in Armenia
- 13.04.2018Russia calls for emergency UN Security Council meeting
- 12.04.2018Russia asks US to solve problems at 'negotiating table'
- 12.04.2018Russia resumes flights to Egypt
- 11.04.2018Putin expects common sense to prevail amid global tensions
- 11.04.2018Putin's inauguration scheduled for 7 May
- 11.04.2018Moscow to Trump: Are ‘smart’ missiles an attempt to destroy alleged chem attack evidence in Syria?
- 11.04.2018Helicopter Crashes in Russian City of Khabarovsk
- 09.04.2018Russia’s Lavrov calls on Turkey to return Afrin to Damascus control
- 09.04.2018Kazakh TV presenter dies as her leg gets stuck in elevator door
- 09.04.2018Presidential inauguration held in Armenia
- 08.04.2018Russian Aerospace Forces to get three S-400 regimental sets this year — Defense Ministry
- 06.04.2018Russia appoints new ambassador to Armenia
- 05.04.2018Azerbaijani President: "Our personal relations with Vladimir Putin are one of the major factors for successful bilateral relations"
- 04.04.2018Russian foreign intelligence chief says Washington’s system of vassalage has failed
- 04.04.2018Patrushev: Some countries claim to act as global prosecutors and judges all in one
- 30.06.2017Russia cuts contribution to Council of Europe
- 01.07.2017Almost 120 flights delayed in Moscow over heavy rainfall
- 01.07.2017Putin has phone talks with Qatar, Bahrain on Gulf row
- 29.06.2017Medvedev:"Sanctions will still influence Russian economy in coming years"
- 28.06.2017Armenia concerned over Russia’s selling weapons to Azerbaijan
- 27.06.2017Ukrainian serviceman killed in car bomb