Nikol Pashinyan says ready to be Armenia’s premier
Leader of the Armenian opposition Nikol Pashinyan told reporters at a news conference on Tuesday that he is ready to become Armenia’s prime minister, if this is the will of the people, APA reports quoting TASS.
"I have already said that I am prepared to assume responsibility and become the premier, if this is the will of the people. Anyway, none of the Republican Party representatives will become prime minister. Their rule is over. I call on Karen Karapetyan not to try to retain power. Tomorrow we should discuss the peaceful transition of power," Pashinyan said.
Pashinyan told reporters he is going to propose a candidate for Armenia’s prime minister at a rally.
"We will arrange that on the square. We will just ask or propose a candidate, and the people will [vote] with their response and their voices," he said.
Serzh Sargsyan nominated by Armenia’s Republican Party was elected prime minister by the parliament on April 17. On Monday, he stepped down amid growing opposition protests, which erupted on April 13. On April 23, Karen Karapetyan became the country’s Acting Prime Minister. The talks between Pashinyan and Karapetyan are expected to be held on April 25.
Related news releases
- 25.05.2018Plenary meeting held in Petersburg forum with participation of Russian, French and Japan leaders
- 25.05.2018Armenian president visits Georgia
- 25.05.2018Cancellation of US-North Korea summit is ‘testing humanity’s nerve’ — Russian senator
- 25.05.2018Second Syrian National Dialogue Congress planned to be held in Sochi next month
- 25.05.2018Man taking hostages in Moscow apartment detained
- 24.05.2018Man takes three hostages in Moscow - Interior Ministry
- 24.05.2018Russian Defense Ministry general detained
- 24.05.2018Man commits suicide after killing five in Russia
- 24.05.2018Armenia army chief to be dismissed
- 20.05.2018Pentagon says Moscow 'not doing enough' to fight terrorism within borders
- 20.05.2018All militants who attacked church in Grozny identified, says Chechnya’s head
- 18.05.2018Putin approves new cabinet
- 17.05.2018Putin Met With Assad in Sochi - Kremlin Spokesman
- 17.05.2018Putin: Defense Ministry allocates $24 billion for state defense order 2018
- 16.05.2018Protesters storm mayor’s building in Yerevan
- 16.05.2018Russian embassy warns of attempts to embroil other states in Skripal case
- 15.05.2018Start your engines: Putin driving truck, opens newly-built Crimean Bridge
- 15.05.2018Moscow says U.S. putting serious pressure on Iran nuclear deal participants
- 15.05.2018Moscow does not rule out Iran’s pullout from nuclear deal — diplomat
- 15.05.2018State Duma approves criminal liability for aiding West’s anti-Russia sanctions
- 14.05.2018Books on “Armenian genocide” by American and Turkish historians published in Moscow
- 12.05.2018Armenian president appoints new FM
- 10.05.2018Armenia police chief, director of National Security Service dismissed
- 09.05.2018Russia slams US decision to withdraw from Iran deal
- 08.05.2018Armenia’s first deputy defense minister resigns
- 08.05.2018Russian Interior Ministry warns Armenian and Azerbaijani diaspora over upcoming Immortal Regiment march
- 08.05.2018Pashinyan elected Armenia's prime minister
- 07.05.2018Putin asks State Duma to appoint Medvedev Russia’s prime minister
- 07.05.2018Putin takes office for second six-year term as Russia’s president
- 05.05.2018Russian journalist: "Armenia historically is an encumbrance for Russia"
- 05.05.2018Police seize Navalny at Putin protest
- 04.05.2018Terrorist acts plotted in Russia were coordinated from abroad – FSB
- 03.05.2018One person killed, one wounded in attack on HSBC bank in Armenia
- 03.05.2018Azerbaijani woman appointed as Tatarstan’s minister of culture
- 03.05.2018Ukraine suspends participation in CIS coordination councils
- 02.05.2018Armenia’s ruling party to vote for candidate supported by one third of MPs
- 02.05.2018Opposition blocks highways linking Armenia with Georgia, Iran
- 02.05.2018Armenia's parliament to hold fresh vote for PM on May 8
- 02.05.2018Civil resistance in Armenia expands
- 02.05.2018Armenia protest leader: "We will not give up"
- 25.04.2018Russian Foreign Ministry comments on US missile defense system’s buildup
- 25.04.2018Leader of Karabakh separatists called on Pashinyan for dialogue
- 25.04.2018Acing PM issues statement over cancellation of meeting with Nikol Pashinyan
- 24.04.2018Russia says no decision yet on delivery of S-300 missiles to Syria
- 23.04.2018Armenian PM Serzh Sargsyan resigns - UPDATED
- 23.04.2018Kremlin calls events in Armenia domestic affair, says Russia won’t meddle