MP comments on Baku mosque demolition case
There are some forces in Azerbaijan who want to destabilize the situation, said Deputy Executive Secretary of the ruling New Azerbaijan Party, MP Siyavush Novruzov.
He made the remarks at the parliament’s plenary session on Friday commenting on the situation around the demolition of Haji Javad mosque in Baku.
The parliamentarian called on local media to be careful in this matter.
“The public should be provided accurate information about this matter. There is Teze Pir mosque not far from Haji Javad mosque. One can worship there too. The mosque is not a venue where people gather in and take decisions”, he said.
Recalling that 2017 has been declared the ‘Year of the Islamic Solidarity’ in Azerbaijan, Novruzov said that presidents and representatives of 57 Muslim countries will come to Azerbaijan in May this year.
“The model of Islam exists in Azerbaijan. There are more than 2,500 mosques in Azerbaijan,” he added.
Azerbaijan’s President Ilham Aliyev has already ordered the setting up of a special commission to halt the demolition of Haji Javad Mosque located in Yasamal district of Baku.
Taking into account the reaction of believers, the president gave directions to halt the demolition of the mosque, comprehensively investigate the situation, evaluate the technical conditions of the building and submit relevant proposals.
Related news releases
- 20.05.2018Pentagon says Moscow 'not doing enough' to fight terrorism within borders
- 20.05.2018All militants who attacked church in Grozny identified, says Chechnya’s head
- 18.05.2018Putin approves new cabinet
- 17.05.2018Putin Met With Assad in Sochi - Kremlin Spokesman
- 17.05.2018Putin: Defense Ministry allocates $24 billion for state defense order 2018
- 16.05.2018Protesters storm mayor’s building in Yerevan
- 16.05.2018Russian embassy warns of attempts to embroil other states in Skripal case
- 15.05.2018Start your engines: Putin driving truck, opens newly-built Crimean Bridge
- 15.05.2018Moscow says U.S. putting serious pressure on Iran nuclear deal participants
- 15.05.2018Moscow does not rule out Iran’s pullout from nuclear deal — diplomat
- 15.05.2018State Duma approves criminal liability for aiding West’s anti-Russia sanctions
- 14.05.2018Books on “Armenian genocide” by American and Turkish historians published in Moscow
- 12.05.2018Armenian president appoints new FM
- 10.05.2018Armenia police chief, director of National Security Service dismissed
- 09.05.2018Russia slams US decision to withdraw from Iran deal
- 08.05.2018Armenia’s first deputy defense minister resigns
- 08.05.2018Russian Interior Ministry warns Armenian and Azerbaijani diaspora over upcoming Immortal Regiment march
- 08.05.2018Pashinyan elected Armenia's prime minister
- 07.05.2018Putin asks State Duma to appoint Medvedev Russia’s prime minister
- 07.05.2018Putin takes office for second six-year term as Russia’s president
- 05.05.2018Russian journalist: "Armenia historically is an encumbrance for Russia"
- 05.05.2018Police seize Navalny at Putin protest
- 04.05.2018Terrorist acts plotted in Russia were coordinated from abroad – FSB
- 03.05.2018One person killed, one wounded in attack on HSBC bank in Armenia
- 03.05.2018Azerbaijani woman appointed as Tatarstan’s minister of culture
- 03.05.2018Ukraine suspends participation in CIS coordination councils
- 02.05.2018Armenia’s ruling party to vote for candidate supported by one third of MPs
- 02.05.2018Opposition blocks highways linking Armenia with Georgia, Iran
- 02.05.2018Armenia's parliament to hold fresh vote for PM on May 8
- 02.05.2018Civil resistance in Armenia expands
- 02.05.2018Armenia protest leader: "We will not give up"
- 02.05.2018Protestors block many streets, including road to international airport in Yerevan
- 02.05.2018Pashinyan will once again be nominated to become Armenian prime minister
- 01.05.2018Armenian Opposition Leader Pashinyan: Protesters Will Block Streets, Airport, Everything
- 01.05.2018Armenian Parliament fails to elect PM - UPDATED
- 01.05.2018Armenia's ruling party not to support Pashinyan's PM candidacy
- 01.05.2018Russia to remain Armenia’s strategic ally, Pashinyan says
- 30.04.2018Armenian opposition leader Pashinyan officially nominated for PM
- 29.04.2018Gagik Tsarukyan to support candidate Nikol Pashinyan
- 28.04.2018Armenia's ruling party withdraws prime minister candidate
- 14.04.2017Yuri Khachaturov appointed CSTO Secretary General
- 14.04.2017Armenian opposition appeals to Constitutional Court to annul outcome of elections
- 17.04.2017Russia to open embassy in self-proclaimed “Republic of Abkhazia”
- 14.04.2017Russian, Iranian and Syrian foreign ministers hold trilateral talks
- 14.04.2017Eurasian Economic Union endorses Moldova’s application for observer status
- 14.04.2017St.Peterburg teenager seriously injured as bomb goes off in his hands