MP comments on Baku mosque demolition case
There are some forces in Azerbaijan who want to destabilize the situation, said Deputy Executive Secretary of the ruling New Azerbaijan Party, MP Siyavush Novruzov.
He made the remarks at the parliament’s plenary session on Friday commenting on the situation around the demolition of Haji Javad mosque in Baku.
The parliamentarian called on local media to be careful in this matter.
“The public should be provided accurate information about this matter. There is Teze Pir mosque not far from Haji Javad mosque. One can worship there too. The mosque is not a venue where people gather in and take decisions”, he said.
Recalling that 2017 has been declared the ‘Year of the Islamic Solidarity’ in Azerbaijan, Novruzov said that presidents and representatives of 57 Muslim countries will come to Azerbaijan in May this year.
“The model of Islam exists in Azerbaijan. There are more than 2,500 mosques in Azerbaijan,” he added.
Azerbaijan’s President Ilham Aliyev has already ordered the setting up of a special commission to halt the demolition of Haji Javad Mosque located in Yasamal district of Baku.
Taking into account the reaction of believers, the president gave directions to halt the demolition of the mosque, comprehensively investigate the situation, evaluate the technical conditions of the building and submit relevant proposals.
Related news releases
- 16.01.2018Armenia army general staff deputy chief’s son dies in car crash
- 16.01.2018Yerevan minibus drivers go on strike
- 16.01.2018Russia will not support U.S. bid to change Iran nuclear deal: Lavrov
- 15.01.2018Date set for presidential election in Armenia
- 13.01.201846 hospitalized in Russia after contracting salmonella
- 12.01.2018Russian military eliminates militants who shelled Hmeymim airbase on Dec. 31
- 11.01.2018Putin says Russia ready to return to Ukraine dozens of naval ships, warplanes
- 11.01.2018General Staff reveals details of drones that attacked Russian bases in Syria
- 09.01.2018Passenger bus overturns in Russia’s Stavropol region injuring four
- 08.01.2018Details emerge of Chechen rebel commander Khattab’s death
- 04.01.2018Hrymchak claims gas pipeline from Ukraine to Europe planned to be blown up in 2014-2015
- 03.01.2018Russian military helicopter crashes in Syria, killing two
- 31.12.20172 injured as unknown man opened fire near Red Square in Moscow
- 30.12.2017Suspect in St Petersburg blast has psychiatric record - source
- 30.12.2017St Petersburg supermarket blast suspect detained - FSB
- 30.12.2017Russia, Uzbekistan sign nuclear energy deal
- 29.12.2017Three injured after bus plows into public transport stop in Moscow - UPDATED
- 28.12.2017Moscow: Erdogan's claims that Assad is a 'terrorist' have no legal basis
- 28.12.2017Mass carbon monoxide poisoning reported among schoolchildren in Kyrgyzstan
- 28.12.2017Putin announces number of military servicemen involved in Syria op
- 28.12.2017Ukraine and pro-Russian rebels swap prisoners before New Year
- 27.12.2017Kiev, pro-Russian separatists exchange hostages
- 27.12.2017Blast injures ten in St Petersburg shop, 50 evacuated
- 27.12.2017Russia’s election commission accepts Putin’s documents for nomination
- 27.12.2017Gunman kills one in Moscow factory building, takes several hostages
- 27.12.2017Zenit-2SB rocket carrying Angolan satellite blasts off from Baikonur — Roscosmos
- 26.12.2017Belarusian leader hails Russia’s role in anti-terrorist efforts in Syria
- 26.12.2017President of Azerbaijan: "Russia is a stabilization factor on a global scale"
- 26.12.2017Informal meeting of CIS leaders starts - UPDATED
- 25.12.2017Russian officials bar Navalny from running for president
- 25.12.2017Five killed in Moscow as bus drives into pedestrian underpass
- 24.12.2017Russia’s State Duma can take tit-for-tat measures if RT’s license in France is revoked
- 23.12.2017Putin says Russia is not "adorable grandma"
- 23.12.2017Russia ready to work with all countries on basis of trust - Putin
- 23.12.2017Everything preventing Russia’s renovation should be left out – Putin
- 22.12.2017Johnson and Lavrov clash in Moscow talks
- 22.12.2017Russian CEC approves Zhirinovsky’s presidential candidacy
- 21.12.2017Turkey, Russia to sign deal on S-400 in coming days
- 20.12.2017Brawl erupts in Armenian parliament
- 20.12.2017Russian Foreign Ministry describes US’ new national security strategy as confrontational
- 14.04.2017Yuri Khachaturov appointed CSTO Secretary General
- 14.04.2017Armenian opposition appeals to Constitutional Court to annul outcome of elections
- 17.04.2017Russia to open embassy in self-proclaimed “Republic of Abkhazia”
- 14.04.2017Russian, Iranian and Syrian foreign ministers hold trilateral talks
- 14.04.2017Eurasian Economic Union endorses Moldova’s application for observer status
- 14.04.2017St.Peterburg teenager seriously injured as bomb goes off in his hands