Moscow expects Syria talks in Astana to boost peace process in Geneva
"Several resolutions in support of this process were passed by the UN Security Council," Deputy Foreign Minister Gennady Gatilov said. "Technical-level meetings were organized. Literally today, Astana will host another meeting with the participation of delegations of the Syrian government and representatives of armed groups. Hopefully this process will make it possible to boost the Geneva process," the diplomat said.
"We consider the situation developing on the ground in Syria and discussion in Astana as a kind of a springboard, a platform for continuation of the intra-Syrian dialog in Geneva," Gatilov said.
He said "representatives from the armed groups that are fighting directly in Syria, offering resistance to government troops" have been also attracted within the framework of Russia-initiated "Astana process".
"It is clear that some decisions will hardly be hammered out without the participation of the main players," the diplomat noted.
"Representatives of Mr. de Mistura (UN Special Envoy for Syria) will also be present in Astana," he said. "We by no means separate the United Nations from this process," he marked.
"The talks on Syria in Astana have prompted the UN to announce the beginning of the next round of the intra-Syrian negotiations in Geneva," the diplomat said speaking at the annual International Model UN conference on Tuesday. "It can be held after February 20."
"We hope it will take place as planned," he added.
The last round of the intra-Syrian negotiations held in Geneva from April 13 to April 27, 2016, ended without results. De Mistura expected to resume consultations in May, but the talks were repeatedly delayed. The beginning of the next round of negotiations on Syria in Geneva is scheduled for February 20.
Russia’s delegation to the Syria meeting in Kazakhstan’s capital on February 15-16 will be led by president’s special envoy for the Syrian settlement Alexander Lavrentyev
Related news releases
- 19.03.2018Putin urges his rivals to maintain dialogue, pool efforts in the country’s interests
- 18.03.2018Voting begins in Russian 2018 presidential election
- 17.03.2018Russia, Iran, Turkey to assist UN to draft constitutional reform in Syria - Lavrov
- 14.03.2018Moscow not connected to ex-spy’s poisoning: Kremlin
- 14.03.2018Moscow welcomes Turkey’s request for prompt S-400 delivery, Lavrov says
- 14.03.2018Turkish, Russian presidents to meet in Ankara on April 3 – FM
- 14.03.2018Syria, S-400 to be in focus at talks of Russian, Turkish foreign ministers
- 10.03.2018Putin on U.S. election interference: ‘I couldn’t care less’
- 07.03.2018Russia’s Mi-8 helicopter crashes in Chechnya
- 05.03.2018Russia has evidence West trying to save Nusra front for regime change - Lavrov
- 05.03.2018Putin’s adviser: Russia ready to disconnect from global Internet
- 03.03.2018Kremlin rejects U.S. charge Russia in breach of arms control treaties
- 02.03.2018Armen Sarkissian elected 4th President of Armenia
- 01.03.2018Putin: ‘No one listened to us then, so listen to us now’ - REPORTAGE
- 01.03.2018Putin announces Russia possesses hypersonic weapons
- 28.02.2018Shooting kills at least two, injures two in Kazan, Russia
- 26.02.2018Car carrying Armenian PM’s bodyguards crashes in Yerevan
- 24.02.20183 Georgians kidnapped in South Ossetia
- 22.02.2018Russian President met with the heads and deputy defense ministers of several countries
- 22.02.2018Ex-Georgian leader banned entry to Ukraine till 2021
- 20.02.2018Ukrainian president signs Donbass reintegration law
- 20.02.2018Dozens of Russian, CIS citizens killed & injured in recent clashes in Syria – Foreign Ministry
- 20.02.2018Russia summons Ukraine's representative over attack on building in Kiev
- 16.02.2018Russian toll in Syria battle was 300 killed and wounded: sources
- 16.02.2018Truck with 2,500 loaves of bread hijacked in Russia
- 15.02.2018New US sanctions pose no serious threat to Russian economy, russians - Medvedev
- 15.02.2018Reports of scores of Russians killed in Syria are disinformation by anti-govt forces - Moscow
- 14.02.2018Presidents of Russia and Ukraine hold a telephone conversation
- 13.02.2018Lavrov says ‘aggressive minority’ in West impedes establishment of relations with Russia
- 09.02.2018Former governor of Sakhalin region Khoroshavin sentenced to 13 years in jail for bribery
- 07.02.2018Russia favors making UN Security Council more efficient
- 06.02.2018Russian, Kazakh FMs discuss preparations for Caspian Summit
- 06.02.2018Russian Central Election Commission registers Putin as presidential candidate
- 04.02.2018Russian Defense Ministry Releases Video of Su-25 Downing Over Syria - VİDEO
- 04.02.2018Russian weapons deliver strikes on area from which Su-25 was shot down , 30 militants killed
- 03.02.2018Russia’s Foreign Ministry notes anti-Russian focus of US nuclear doctrine
- 02.02.2018Russian CEC chairwoman disapproves of Kremlin spokesman’s statement
- 02.02.2018Armenia: 10-year-old girl kidnapped for debts
- 02.02.2018Russia says U.S. 'hunting' for Russians to arrest around the world
- 01.02.2018UN envoy for Syria highlights role of Sochi congress for Geneva process, says Lavrov
- 15.02.2017Russian MoD Denies Incidents With Russian Planes Near US Destroyer in Black Sea
- 15.02.2017Kremlin dismisses report of Trump campaign contacts with Russian spies
- 16.02.2017Georgian police arrest American wanted on terrorism charges in Uzbekistan
- 14.02.2017Syria peace talks in Astana postponed until February 16
- 13.02.2017Embassy: "All the Azerbaijani detainees in Derbent were released"
- 13.02.2017Russia releases footage of wide damage at Syria's Palmyra - VIDEO