Moscow expects Syria talks in Astana to boost peace process in Geneva
"Several resolutions in support of this process were passed by the UN Security Council," Deputy Foreign Minister Gennady Gatilov said. "Technical-level meetings were organized. Literally today, Astana will host another meeting with the participation of delegations of the Syrian government and representatives of armed groups. Hopefully this process will make it possible to boost the Geneva process," the diplomat said.
"We consider the situation developing on the ground in Syria and discussion in Astana as a kind of a springboard, a platform for continuation of the intra-Syrian dialog in Geneva," Gatilov said.
He said "representatives from the armed groups that are fighting directly in Syria, offering resistance to government troops" have been also attracted within the framework of Russia-initiated "Astana process".
"It is clear that some decisions will hardly be hammered out without the participation of the main players," the diplomat noted.
"Representatives of Mr. de Mistura (UN Special Envoy for Syria) will also be present in Astana," he said. "We by no means separate the United Nations from this process," he marked.
"The talks on Syria in Astana have prompted the UN to announce the beginning of the next round of the intra-Syrian negotiations in Geneva," the diplomat said speaking at the annual International Model UN conference on Tuesday. "It can be held after February 20."
"We hope it will take place as planned," he added.
The last round of the intra-Syrian negotiations held in Geneva from April 13 to April 27, 2016, ended without results. De Mistura expected to resume consultations in May, but the talks were repeatedly delayed. The beginning of the next round of negotiations on Syria in Geneva is scheduled for February 20.
Russia’s delegation to the Syria meeting in Kazakhstan’s capital on February 15-16 will be led by president’s special envoy for the Syrian settlement Alexander Lavrentyev
Related news releases
- 09.08.2017Russian Defense Ministry renovating major facilities for FIFA World Cup
- 08.08.2017Russia's Putin visits breakaway Georgian region of Abkhazia: Kremlin
- 06.08.2017Russia’s ex-envoy to US says his talks with Flynn were about Russian-US cooperation
- 05.08.2017Russian minister says U.S. exit from Paris pact "terrible mistake"
- 05.08.2017Russia says reserves right to retaliate over new EU sanctions
- 04.08.2017Russian deputy minister blacklisted in new EU sanctions over Siemens turbines to Crimea
- 03.08.2017Kremlin: Moldova Gov't Declaring Rogozin Persona Non-Grata Unacceptable
- 02.08.2017Russian PM Medvedev on new sanctions: 'US declares full-fledged trade war'
- 02.08.2017Moldovan gov't declares Russian Deputy Prime Minister Rogozin Persona Non-Grata
- 02.08.2017Georgian officials strongly criticize Putin’s forthcoming visit to Abkhazia
- 01.08.2017Moscow court shooting: Three 'Grand Theft Auto' gang members killed in bungled bid to escape trial
- 01.08.2017Four killed in shooting at Moscow court: lawyer
- 01.08.2017Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan continue talks on border settlement - Kyrgyz Government
- 30.07.2017Russia to continue delivering rocket engines to US — deputy premier
- 29.07.2017Moldova demands Russia to withdraw its troops from Transnistria
- 28.07.2017Russia orders out U.S. diplomats in sanctions retaliation
- 28.07.2017Russia suspends US embassy use of diplomatic properties in Moscow
- 28.07.20177 suspected terrorists detained in St. Petersburg
- 28.07.2017Uzbek prosecutors charge ex-leader's daughter of 6 criminal offenses
- 27.07.2017Putin: We'll have to retaliate against 'illegal' U.S. sanctions
- 27.07.2017Russia's response to U.S. sanctions to hinge on final bill text: Putin
- 26.07.2017Ukraine deports Russian journalist
- 26.07.2017Russia calls US source of danger
- 25.07.2017Man planning to fly to Syria to join ISIL via Baku detained in Russia
- 25.07.2017Applicants for higher education decreasing in numbers in Armenia
- 25.07.2017Trump slams AG Sessions' 'weak' position on Clinton emails
- 22.07.2017Lavrov says US continues support to some opposition groups in Syria
- 20.07.2017Kremlin says not considering Lapshin’s extradition to Russia
- 18.07.2017Russia reiterates its restrained stance on North Korean issue settlement
- 18.07.2017Fire in Mosow high-rise extinguished - UPDATED
- 17.07.2017Sargsyan: Russia’s sale of arms to Azerbaijan is most painful aspect of Armenia-Russia relations
- 16.07.2017Suspects in attack on Russian tourists in Abkhazia identified - security service
- 14.07.2017Russia's Putin hopes dialogue with Trump will continue
- 14.07.2017Lawmaker Zhirinovsky: United Russian-Armenian military group should be under Russian command
- 14.07.2017Russian Duma ratifies agreement to keep 49-year presence at Syrian naval and air base
- 14.07.2017Russia ratifies agreement on joint group of forces with Armenia
- 14.07.2017Moscow threatens to reduce number of American diplomats at US embassy
- 14.07.2017The State Duma will consider ratification of the agreement with Armenia
- 13.07.2017Sergei Lavrov: "Russia does not support Assad"
- 13.07.2017Boris Nemtsov killer sentenced to 20 years in prison
- 15.02.2017Russian MoD Denies Incidents With Russian Planes Near US Destroyer in Black Sea
- 15.02.2017Kremlin dismisses report of Trump campaign contacts with Russian spies
- 16.02.2017Georgian police arrest American wanted on terrorism charges in Uzbekistan
- 14.02.2017Syria peace talks in Astana postponed until February 16
- 13.02.2017Embassy: "All the Azerbaijani detainees in Derbent were released"
- 13.02.2017Russia releases footage of wide damage at Syria's Palmyra - VIDEO