Moscow expects Syria talks in Astana to boost peace process in Geneva
"Several resolutions in support of this process were passed by the UN Security Council," Deputy Foreign Minister Gennady Gatilov said. "Technical-level meetings were organized. Literally today, Astana will host another meeting with the participation of delegations of the Syrian government and representatives of armed groups. Hopefully this process will make it possible to boost the Geneva process," the diplomat said.
"We consider the situation developing on the ground in Syria and discussion in Astana as a kind of a springboard, a platform for continuation of the intra-Syrian dialog in Geneva," Gatilov said.
He said "representatives from the armed groups that are fighting directly in Syria, offering resistance to government troops" have been also attracted within the framework of Russia-initiated "Astana process".
"It is clear that some decisions will hardly be hammered out without the participation of the main players," the diplomat noted.
"Representatives of Mr. de Mistura (UN Special Envoy for Syria) will also be present in Astana," he said. "We by no means separate the United Nations from this process," he marked.
"The talks on Syria in Astana have prompted the UN to announce the beginning of the next round of the intra-Syrian negotiations in Geneva," the diplomat said speaking at the annual International Model UN conference on Tuesday. "It can be held after February 20."
"We hope it will take place as planned," he added.
The last round of the intra-Syrian negotiations held in Geneva from April 13 to April 27, 2016, ended without results. De Mistura expected to resume consultations in May, but the talks were repeatedly delayed. The beginning of the next round of negotiations on Syria in Geneva is scheduled for February 20.
Russia’s delegation to the Syria meeting in Kazakhstan’s capital on February 15-16 will be led by president’s special envoy for the Syrian settlement Alexander Lavrentyev
Related news releases
- 16.12.2017Gunman killed in armed clash in Russia’s Kabardino-Balkaria Region
- 15.12.2017Russian ex-minister Ulyukayev gets 8 years in prison for extorting $2 mln bribe
- 15.12.2017Russian presidential election set for March 18
- 15.12.2017Russia to double ballistic missile tests in 2018
- 15.12.2017Putin, Trump discuss Russia-US relations, North Korea in phone call
- 15.12.2017Russia unlikely to apply for participation in PACE’s work in 2018 — Russian MP
- 15.12.2017Moscow denies Russian jets intercepted by US F-22s in Syria
- 14.12.2017Russia, U.S. could cooperate on Afghanistan – Putin
- 14.12.2017Putin on Saakashvili's actions: This is 'a spit in the face of Ukrainian, Georgian people'
- 14.12.2017Trump faces restrictions in implementing intention to improve ties with Russia – Putin
- 14.12.2017Putin says Washington has in fact quit INF treaty
- 13.12.2017Erdogan's position on Jerusalem does not coincide with Russia's - Peskov
- 12.12.2017Price of AI-92 gasoline reduced in Kazakhstan
- 12.12.2017Soldier wounded in landmine explosion at Armenian border
- 12.12.2017Russian military chief criticizes U.S., Japan and South Korea drills
- 11.12.2017Kyiv court turns down prosecutor's motion to place Saakashvili under house arrest - UPDATED
- 09.12.2017Ex-President of Georgia goes on hunger strike in Ukrainian Jail
- 09.12.2017Mikheil Saakashvili detained in Kyiv
- 08.12.2017Russian FM: Trump’s Jerusalem decision contradicts all agreements
- 06.12.2017Russia claims Daesh completely destroyed in Syria
- 06.12.2017Putin says to seek new presidential term in 2018
- 06.12.2017Russian lower house slaps ban on US ‘foreign agent’ mass media from visiting State Duma
- 05.12.201741% of Russians want Lenin’s body to be buried
- 05.12.2017Russia's Investigative Committee appeals to General Prosecutor's Office for putting Telman Ismailov on Interpol’s wanted list
- 02.12.2017Sergey Lavrov: "We have no doubts and suspicions towards Azerbaijan"
- 02.12.2017Russia’s Foreign Ministry confirms Lavrov, Tillerson plan to meet in Vienna
- 01.12.2017Russia strengthened air defense in the North Caucasus
- 27.11.2017Iranian foreign minister to visit Armenia
- 26.11.2017Russia’s ex-finance minister regrets adoption of foreign agent media law
- 25.11.2017Tiger shot dead in Paris after escaping from circus
- 25.11.2017Fire in Batumi hotel kills eleven - UPDATED
- 25.11.2017Ukraine rebel region's security minister says he is new leader
- 23.11.2017Russia to cut task force in Syria — General Staff
- 23.11.20172 killed, 6 injured in shootout in Dagestan, closer to the border with Azerbaijan
- 22.11.2017Turkey, Russia, Iran vow to back Syria's sovereignty
- 22.11.2017Putin, Erdogan and Rouhani agree on holding Syrian national dialogue congress in Sochi
- 22.11.2017Turkish, Russian, Iranian presidents meet in Sochi
- 22.11.2017Russian baritone Hvorostovsky dies at 55
- 21.11.2017Putin and Assad meet in Sochi
- 18.11.2017Five injured in passenger bus-truck collision in Russia
- 15.02.2017Russian MoD Denies Incidents With Russian Planes Near US Destroyer in Black Sea
- 15.02.2017Kremlin dismisses report of Trump campaign contacts with Russian spies
- 16.02.2017Georgian police arrest American wanted on terrorism charges in Uzbekistan
- 14.02.2017Syria peace talks in Astana postponed until February 16
- 13.02.2017Embassy: "All the Azerbaijani detainees in Derbent were released"
- 13.02.2017Russia releases footage of wide damage at Syria's Palmyra - VIDEO