Moscow accuses US intelligence of trying to recruit Russian diplomat
US intelligence services tried to recruit a Russian diplomat while he was buying a medicine to former Russian prime minister Yevgeny Primakov, Maria Zakharova, Russian Foreign Ministry spokesperson, said in an interview with Rossiya 1 TV channel, APA reported.
“Primakov, for his treatment, needed a medicine which is sold in the US. For this purpose, a Russian diplomat in the US was instructed to buy the medicine and sent $10,000 which was collected by the former PM’s family and friends,” Zakharova said.
“All official procedures were carried out and necessary references and prescriptions were drawn up. When the diplomat entered the pharmacy, US intelligence officers approached him, took him to a basement where there was no mobile network and talked to him for an hour.”
Zakharova called the incident a recruitment attempt.
“They tried to scare the diplomat with accusations over illegal trafficking of medicines. The medicine was seized and money wan not returned to him,” she added.
Zakharova said US Secretary of State John Kerry called the incident unacceptable, promising to do everything possible to deliver the medicine to Russia. “Unfortunately, it took a lot of time,” she said.
Despite the intervention of Kerry, after a while the diplomat was departed from the US.
Related news releases
- 14.03.2018Moscow not connected to ex-spy’s poisoning: Kremlin
- 14.03.2018Moscow welcomes Turkey’s request for prompt S-400 delivery, Lavrov says
- 14.03.2018Turkish, Russian presidents to meet in Ankara on April 3 – FM
- 14.03.2018Syria, S-400 to be in focus at talks of Russian, Turkish foreign ministers
- 10.03.2018Putin on U.S. election interference: ‘I couldn’t care less’
- 07.03.2018Russia’s Mi-8 helicopter crashes in Chechnya
- 05.03.2018Russia has evidence West trying to save Nusra front for regime change - Lavrov
- 05.03.2018Putin’s adviser: Russia ready to disconnect from global Internet
- 03.03.2018Kremlin rejects U.S. charge Russia in breach of arms control treaties
- 02.03.2018Armen Sarkissian elected 4th President of Armenia
- 01.03.2018Putin: ‘No one listened to us then, so listen to us now’ - REPORTAGE
- 01.03.2018Putin announces Russia possesses hypersonic weapons
- 28.02.2018Shooting kills at least two, injures two in Kazan, Russia
- 26.02.2018Car carrying Armenian PM’s bodyguards crashes in Yerevan
- 24.02.20183 Georgians kidnapped in South Ossetia
- 22.02.2018Russian President met with the heads and deputy defense ministers of several countries
- 22.02.2018Ex-Georgian leader banned entry to Ukraine till 2021
- 20.02.2018Ukrainian president signs Donbass reintegration law
- 20.02.2018Dozens of Russian, CIS citizens killed & injured in recent clashes in Syria – Foreign Ministry
- 20.02.2018Russia summons Ukraine's representative over attack on building in Kiev
- 16.02.2018Russian toll in Syria battle was 300 killed and wounded: sources
- 16.02.2018Truck with 2,500 loaves of bread hijacked in Russia
- 15.02.2018New US sanctions pose no serious threat to Russian economy, russians - Medvedev
- 15.02.2018Reports of scores of Russians killed in Syria are disinformation by anti-govt forces - Moscow
- 14.02.2018Presidents of Russia and Ukraine hold a telephone conversation
- 13.02.2018Lavrov says ‘aggressive minority’ in West impedes establishment of relations with Russia
- 09.02.2018Former governor of Sakhalin region Khoroshavin sentenced to 13 years in jail for bribery
- 07.02.2018Russia favors making UN Security Council more efficient
- 06.02.2018Russian, Kazakh FMs discuss preparations for Caspian Summit
- 06.02.2018Russian Central Election Commission registers Putin as presidential candidate
- 04.02.2018Russian Defense Ministry Releases Video of Su-25 Downing Over Syria - VİDEO
- 04.02.2018Russian weapons deliver strikes on area from which Su-25 was shot down , 30 militants killed
- 03.02.2018Russia’s Foreign Ministry notes anti-Russian focus of US nuclear doctrine
- 02.02.2018Russian CEC chairwoman disapproves of Kremlin spokesman’s statement
- 02.02.2018Armenia: 10-year-old girl kidnapped for debts
- 02.02.2018Russia says U.S. 'hunting' for Russians to arrest around the world
- 01.02.2018UN envoy for Syria highlights role of Sochi congress for Geneva process, says Lavrov
- 01.02.2018Law enforcement officer receives stab wounds in Yerevan
- 01.02.2018Meeting between Russian, Italian FMs kicks off in Moscow
- 31.01.2018Sergei Lavrov: "Sochi Congress Agrees a Constitutional Committee"
- 16.01.2017Biden: Anti-Russian sanctions to remain until fulfillment of Minsk and Crimea de-occupation
- 17.01.2017Ukraine files suit against Russia for allegedly violating UN conventions
- 17.01.2017Lavrov: Russia "did right thing" by starting its anti-terrorism campaign in Syria
- 16.01.2017US Vice-President Biden arrives in Ukraine for last meeting with Poroshenko
- 12.01.2017Dmitry Peskov: "US deployment of troops in Poland 'threat' for Russia"
- 12.01.2017Russia's Chechnya chief says dozens of militants captured