Moscow accuses US intelligence of trying to recruit Russian diplomat
US intelligence services tried to recruit a Russian diplomat while he was buying a medicine to former Russian prime minister Yevgeny Primakov, Maria Zakharova, Russian Foreign Ministry spokesperson, said in an interview with Rossiya 1 TV channel, APA reported.
“Primakov, for his treatment, needed a medicine which is sold in the US. For this purpose, a Russian diplomat in the US was instructed to buy the medicine and sent $10,000 which was collected by the former PM’s family and friends,” Zakharova said.
“All official procedures were carried out and necessary references and prescriptions were drawn up. When the diplomat entered the pharmacy, US intelligence officers approached him, took him to a basement where there was no mobile network and talked to him for an hour.”
Zakharova called the incident a recruitment attempt.
“They tried to scare the diplomat with accusations over illegal trafficking of medicines. The medicine was seized and money wan not returned to him,” she added.
Zakharova said US Secretary of State John Kerry called the incident unacceptable, promising to do everything possible to deliver the medicine to Russia. “Unfortunately, it took a lot of time,” she said.
Despite the intervention of Kerry, after a while the diplomat was departed from the US.
Related news releases
- 20.10.2017Sergey Lavrov meets with Council of Europe Secretary General
- 20.10.2017Russia's Putin says oil price above $50/bbl is fair
- 20.10.2017Putin regrets that disrespect shown for Trump in US
- 19.10.2017Putin: Russia ready to move towards universal nuclear disarmament
- 19.10.2017Russian TV host Ksenia Sobchak declares Kremlin bid for 2018
- 18.10.2017Pedro Agramunt receives honorary doctorate from Russian higher school
- 18.10.2017One of main sponsors of separatist regime in Karabakh dies
- 18.10.2017Moscow police detain Armenian taxi driver accused of poisoning almost 100 people to death
- 18.10.2017Russia testing new Silo-Based ballistic missile
- 17.10.2017Lavrov: Agreement on UNSC reform unrealistic in next couple of years
- 16.10.2017Putin signs decree to implement UNSC sanctions on North Korea
- 16.10.2017Lavrov comments on construction of subsea pipeline in Caspian Sea
- 16.10.2017Armenian citizen shot dead in downtown Moscow
- 14.10.2017Russian FSB, police detain İSİL supporters preparing terrorist attacks
- 14.10.2017Russian President: "Fight against terror should be free from double standards"
- 13.10.2017Lavrov urges to give up on escalating tensions around DPRK
- 11.10.2017Putin: Volume of trade between CIS countries has reached $75 billion
- 11.10.2017Lukashenko criticizes CIS Interparliamentary Assembly for low efficiency
- 11.10.201718 documents inked at CIS summit in Sochi
- 11.10.2017Tajikistan takes over CIS presidency
- 11.10.2017Putin stresses need to increase effectiveness of CIS
- 11.10.2017Turkmen president gives Putin Central Asian pooch as gift
- 10.10.2017Several documents signed at CIS Ministerial Council meeting
- 09.10.2017House fire kills five in Russia
- 06.10.201717 killed, 12 others injured as train collides with bus in central Russia - UPDATED
- 06.10.2017Four Russian nationals abroad suspected of false phone bomb threats in Russia
- 05.10.2017Armenian businessman shot dead in Moscow
- 05.10.2017Russian Investigative Committee refuses to open criminal case against historian who exposed Armenian lies
- 05.10.2017Terror threat for CIS countries remains high: Anti-Terrorism Center
- 04.10.2017Saudi King arrives in Moscow for first ever visit
- 04.10.2017CIS foreign ministers to meet in Sochi
- 04.10.2017Severed human legs found next to supermarket in Moscow
- 04.10.2017Conditions for defeating terrorists, returning to peaceful life in Syria created — Lavrov
- 04.10.2017Venezuela's Maduro Travels to Russia For Energy Talks
- 03.10.2017Saakashvili's issue must be resolved through legal means: Ukrainian FM
- 30.09.2017Mammadbagir Aliyev elected to RAS Presidium
- 29.09.2017Shootout at Russian military base leaves 3 dead, 2 wounded
- 29.09.2017Two pilots die in military aircraft crash in Ukraine
- 27.09.2017Ukraine detains suspects behind massive blaze at ammo depot in Vinnytsia
- 27.09.2017Dagestan leader Ramazan Abdulatipov writes resignation letter
- 16.01.2017Biden: Anti-Russian sanctions to remain until fulfillment of Minsk and Crimea de-occupation
- 17.01.2017Ukraine files suit against Russia for allegedly violating UN conventions
- 17.01.2017Lavrov: Russia "did right thing" by starting its anti-terrorism campaign in Syria
- 16.01.2017US Vice-President Biden arrives in Ukraine for last meeting with Poroshenko
- 12.01.2017Dmitry Peskov: "US deployment of troops in Poland 'threat' for Russia"
- 12.01.2017Russia's Chechnya chief says dozens of militants captured