Militant killed in counterterrorism operation in Dagestan aligned with IS
The militant who was killed during a counterterrorism operation in the Russian North Caucasus region of Dagestan was aligned with the Islamic State international terrorist group banned in Russia, the country’s National Anti-Terrorism Committee (NAC) said on Saturday, APA reports quoting TASS.
"Spetsnaz of Russia’s FSB Federal Security Service supported by the National Guard and police had sealed off the house where the bandit was holed up. The criminal who had refused to lay down arms and surrender was neutralized in a fight," the committee said.
"According to available intelligence, he is Yunus Khabibob, who featured on the federal wanted list. He is said to pledge allegiance to the ISIS international terrorist organization (former name of IS) and followed its orders as a ringleader of the gang that had previously operated in a mountainous and forested area (in Dagestan’s Botlikh district - TASS)," it said.
Russia’s NAC said that it had been reported earlier that an armed gunman was hiding in a private house in a village of the Botlikh district. He was reported to have committed some terrorism-related crimes. Dagestan’s FSB chief ordered a counterterrorism operation on Saturday afternoon.
"A sniper rifle and ammo, a grenade, a radio transceiver and thermal imaging camera were recovered on the scene," NAC said. "There are no casualties among civilians and law enforcers.".
Related news releases
- 25.04.2018Armenian opposition bloc to nominate protest leader Pashinyan as PM
- 25.04.2018Armenia’s Dashnaktsutyun leaves ruling coalition
- 25.04.2018Armenia’s acting sport minister resigns
- 25.04.2018West conceals details of military drills from Russian inspectors — foreign ministry
- 25.04.2018Acing PM issues statement over cancellation of meeting with Nikol Pashinyan
- 25.04.2018Leader of Karabakh separatists called on Pashinyan for dialogue
- 25.04.2018Russian Foreign Ministry comments on US missile defense system’s buildup
- 24.04.2018Nikol Pashinyan says ready to be Armenia’s premier
- 24.04.2018Russia says no decision yet on delivery of S-300 missiles to Syria
- 23.04.2018Armenian PM Serzh Sargsyan resigns - UPDATED
- 23.04.2018Kremlin calls events in Armenia domestic affair, says Russia won’t meddle
- 23.04.2018Armenia’s delegation to PACE returns to Yerevan
- 23.04.2018Nikol Pashinyan released from detention center
- 22.04.2018Militants hand 30 armored vehicles to Russian military in Syria
- 22.04.2018Armenian President meets Serzh Sargsyan after talk with opposition leader
- 21.04.2018Nine gunmen plotting terror attack on May Day shot dead in Dagestan
- 21.04.2018Storm in Moscow leaves 2 dead, 12 people injured - UPDATED
- 21.04.2018Russian media company correspondent killed in Syria
- 20.04.2018Pashinyan: Situation is not under Serzh Sargsyan’s control
- 20.04.2018Democratic Party sues Russia, Trump campaign for allegedly disrupting 2016 election
- 20.04.2018Armenian police detain 183 opposition activists - UPDATED
- 20.04.2018Putin, Trump will not allow armed confrontation between Russia, US – Lavrov
- 19.04.2018Nikol Pashinyan: "We resume action of total blocking of Yerevan streets"
- 19.04.2018Russia and US may be left without direct flights due to Aeroflot’s visa difficulties
- 19.04.2018Militants who attacked UN Mission in Douma were warned in advance
- 19.04.2018Journalist gets beaten during mass protest in Armenia
- 18.04.2018Opposition march toward Republic Square
- 17.04.2018The Armenian opposition announced the creation of a committee of "velvet revolution"
- 17.04.2018Serzh Sargsyan elected Armenia’s PM
- 17.04.2018FSB exposes IS cell plotting terrorist attacks in Russia
- 16.04.2018Armenian opposition leader urges to block parliament building
- 16.04.201822 injured after demonstrators clash with police in Yerevan
- 16.04.2018Armenia’s Republican Party formally nominates Sargsyan’s candidacy as next PM
- 16.04.2018Armenians protest Sargsyan's appointment as PM
- 15.04.2018Kazakhstan warns of further military de-escalation in Syria
- 14.04.2018Opposition-led protesters break into building of Armenian public radio
- 14.04.2018Serzh Sargsyan nominated for Armenia’s PM
- 14.04.2018Syrian downs 71 out of 103 US coalition cruise missiles: Russian military
- 14.04.2018Putin: Operation launched by US and allies is aggression against sovereign state
- 14.04.2018Russian Defence Ministry: Over 100 missiles fired at Syria
- 25.03.2018EU recalls ambassador from Moscow as required sign of its solidarity with UK - Kremlin
- 26.03.2018At least 53 dead in Siberian shopping mall fire
- 27.03.2018Russian Health Minister: 25 victims of Kemerovo mall fire identified
- 24.03.2018Ukraine signs deal with France to buy 55 Airbus helicopters
- 23.03.2018Ukraine's Savchenko goes on hunger strike over detention
- 23.03.2018Results of Russian presidential election revealed