Man serving life sentence for 1999 Armenia parliament tragedy dies at night
Eduard Grigoryan, who was sentenced to life imprisonment for the tragedy that had occurred in the National Assembly (NA) of Armenia on October 27, 1999, has died.
He had a sharp pain around his heart at night. He was taken to hospital but died therein, said Gor Ghlechyan, Head of Public Relations at the Penitentiary Department of Armenia, APA reported citing news.am.
“Forensic medical examination will find out what exactly he died from,” Ghlechyan added.
A group of criminals broke into the NA Sessions’ Hall, on October 27, 1999, and shot and killed several government and parliament members.
This terrorist act took the lives of Prime Minister and Supreme Commander Vazgen Sargsyan, NA Speaker Karen Demirchyan, Vice-Speakers Yuri Bakhshyan and Ruben Miroyan, Operational Affairs Minister Leonard Petrosyan, and MPs Armenak Armenakyan, Henrik Abrahamyan, and Mikayel Kotanyan.
The terrorists was tried from 2001 to 2003. As a result, six of them were sentenced to life imprisonment, whereas another one was handed down a fourteen-year prison term.
The court case, however, failed to expose the actual persons responsible for the tragedy, and, as a result, the Armenian society still has considerable doubts regarding the masterminds behind the terrorist act.
Related news releases
- 18.01.2018Ukrainian parliament adopts law on Donbas reintegration
- 18.01.2018Bus fire in Kazakhstan: Short circuit a preliminary cause of fire
- 18.01.2018Putin says some CIS countries could become Eurasian Economic Union observers
- 18.01.2018Turkish chief of staff, intelligence chief in Russia for Syria talks
- 17.01.2018Putin is in good shape, Kremlin says
- 17.01.2018Businessman, son killed in Russia’s Orenburg
- 16.01.2018Armenia army general staff deputy chief’s son dies in car crash
- 16.01.2018Yerevan minibus drivers go on strike
- 16.01.2018Russia will not support U.S. bid to change Iran nuclear deal: Lavrov
- 15.01.2018Date set for presidential election in Armenia
- 13.01.201846 hospitalized in Russia after contracting salmonella
- 12.01.2018Russian military eliminates militants who shelled Hmeymim airbase on Dec. 31
- 11.01.2018Putin says Russia ready to return to Ukraine dozens of naval ships, warplanes
- 11.01.2018General Staff reveals details of drones that attacked Russian bases in Syria
- 09.01.2018Passenger bus overturns in Russia’s Stavropol region injuring four
- 08.01.2018Details emerge of Chechen rebel commander Khattab’s death
- 04.01.2018Hrymchak claims gas pipeline from Ukraine to Europe planned to be blown up in 2014-2015
- 03.01.2018Russian military helicopter crashes in Syria, killing two
- 31.12.20172 injured as unknown man opened fire near Red Square in Moscow
- 30.12.2017Suspect in St Petersburg blast has psychiatric record - source
- 30.12.2017St Petersburg supermarket blast suspect detained - FSB
- 30.12.2017Russia, Uzbekistan sign nuclear energy deal
- 29.12.2017Three injured after bus plows into public transport stop in Moscow - UPDATED
- 28.12.2017Moscow: Erdogan's claims that Assad is a 'terrorist' have no legal basis
- 28.12.2017Mass carbon monoxide poisoning reported among schoolchildren in Kyrgyzstan
- 28.12.2017Putin announces number of military servicemen involved in Syria op
- 28.12.2017Ukraine and pro-Russian rebels swap prisoners before New Year
- 27.12.2017Kiev, pro-Russian separatists exchange hostages
- 27.12.2017Blast injures ten in St Petersburg shop, 50 evacuated
- 27.12.2017Russia’s election commission accepts Putin’s documents for nomination
- 27.12.2017Gunman kills one in Moscow factory building, takes several hostages
- 27.12.2017Zenit-2SB rocket carrying Angolan satellite blasts off from Baikonur — Roscosmos
- 26.12.2017Belarusian leader hails Russia’s role in anti-terrorist efforts in Syria
- 26.12.2017President of Azerbaijan: "Russia is a stabilization factor on a global scale"
- 26.12.2017Informal meeting of CIS leaders starts - UPDATED
- 25.12.2017Russian officials bar Navalny from running for president
- 25.12.2017Five killed in Moscow as bus drives into pedestrian underpass
- 24.12.2017Russia’s State Duma can take tit-for-tat measures if RT’s license in France is revoked
- 23.12.2017Putin says Russia is not "adorable grandma"
- 23.12.2017Russia ready to work with all countries on basis of trust - Putin
- 05.11.2017Kremlin: Syrian settlement is considered as a topic for Putin-Trump meeting
- 07.11.2017Russian State Duma delegation to visit Azerbaijan
- 07.11.2017Russia's Communist Party organizes march celebrating 100th anniversary of October Revolution in Moscow
- 02.11.2017Kremlin confirms preparation for Putin-Erdogan meeting underway
- 01.11.2017ATC: Most of websites engaged in terrorist recruitment in CIS managed from abroad
- 01.11.2017Russian president arrives in Tehran