Man serving life sentence for 1999 Armenia parliament tragedy dies at night
Eduard Grigoryan, who was sentenced to life imprisonment for the tragedy that had occurred in the National Assembly (NA) of Armenia on October 27, 1999, has died.
He had a sharp pain around his heart at night. He was taken to hospital but died therein, said Gor Ghlechyan, Head of Public Relations at the Penitentiary Department of Armenia, APA reported citing news.am.
“Forensic medical examination will find out what exactly he died from,” Ghlechyan added.
A group of criminals broke into the NA Sessions’ Hall, on October 27, 1999, and shot and killed several government and parliament members.
This terrorist act took the lives of Prime Minister and Supreme Commander Vazgen Sargsyan, NA Speaker Karen Demirchyan, Vice-Speakers Yuri Bakhshyan and Ruben Miroyan, Operational Affairs Minister Leonard Petrosyan, and MPs Armenak Armenakyan, Henrik Abrahamyan, and Mikayel Kotanyan.
The terrorists was tried from 2001 to 2003. As a result, six of them were sentenced to life imprisonment, whereas another one was handed down a fourteen-year prison term.
The court case, however, failed to expose the actual persons responsible for the tragedy, and, as a result, the Armenian society still has considerable doubts regarding the masterminds behind the terrorist act.
Related news releases
- 18.11.2017Five injured in passenger bus-truck collision in Russia
- 17.11.2017Six inmates slash their wrists in Moscow court
- 17.11.2017Minibus collides with truck in Volga Area, 15 dead
- 15.11.2017Russia’s State Duma passes amendments to foreign agent media law
- 14.11.2017Defense Ministry provides explanation on wrong photos attached to Abu Kamal statement
- 14.11.2017Russia detains 69 extremists in the Moscow region
- 14.11.2017Prisoner escapes in Armenia
- 13.11.2017Putin, Erdogan hold joint press conference after meeting in Sochi
- 13.11.2017Turkish, Russian presidents meet in Sochi
- 10.11.2017Russian, Turkish presidents to meet in Sochi on Nov. 13
- 10.11.2017Students continue protests in Yerevan
- 10.11.2017Syria deal could be announced after Trump-Putin meeting friday
- 09.11.2017Putin informed about collapse of residential building in Izhevsk
- 09.11.2017Several dead, injured as 9-storey building collapses in Russia
- 01.11.2017Another round of Astana talks on Syria to be held in late December
- 31.10.2017Russia hopes Syria will be liberated from terrorists in one or two months
- 31.10.2017Ukraine interior minister's son detained
- 31.10.2017Lavrov: Russia needs legal guarantees to extend Turkish Stream gas pipeline to EU soil
- 31.10.2017Moscow doesn’t rule out visa-free regime with Georgia
- 31.10.2017Wife of Russian accused of Putin assassination plot shot dead in Kiev
- 30.10.2017Man breaks into kindergarten in Armenia, takes hostages
- 27.10.2017Russia neutralizes threats along western borders by beefing up troop combat strength
- 27.10.2017Lavrov: Russia’s non-commercial organizations should promote idea of Eurasian integration in CIS
- 27.10.2017Putin test-fires ballistic missiles in strategic nuclear force command and control drills
- 27.10.2017Kazakhstan President orders transition to Latin-based alphabet
- 27.10.2017Western companies hardest hit by anti-Russia sanctions — Russian minister
- 26.10.2017Russia will respond to Twitter's RT, Sputnik ad ban - Russian Foreign Ministry
- 26.10.2017One man killed, three wounded in Kiev explosion
- 25.10.2017Kremlin slams Sobchak’s statement on Crimea as totally wrong
- 25.10.2017Turkmen leader tours Ashgabat on horseback - VIDEO
- 25.10.2017President Poroshenko awards Azerbaijani officer of Ukrainian National Guard
- 24.10.2017Russia vetoes UN extension of gas attack probe in Syria
- 24.10.2017Ksenia Sobchak: Crimea belongs to Ukraine under law
- 23.10.2017Russian national guard officer eliminated after killing 4 colleagues in Chechnya
- 23.10.2017Assailant who stabbed host of Moscow radio station identified - UPDATED
- 23.10.2017Lavrov: Hopefully, there will be no war between Iraqi government troops and Kurds
- 20.10.2017Sergey Lavrov meets with Council of Europe Secretary General
- 20.10.2017Russia's Putin says oil price above $50/bbl is fair
- 20.10.2017Putin regrets that disrespect shown for Trump in US
- 19.10.2017Putin: Russia ready to move towards universal nuclear disarmament
- 05.11.2017Kremlin: Syrian settlement is considered as a topic for Putin-Trump meeting
- 07.11.2017Russian State Duma delegation to visit Azerbaijan
- 07.11.2017Russia's Communist Party organizes march celebrating 100th anniversary of October Revolution in Moscow
- 02.11.2017Kremlin confirms preparation for Putin-Erdogan meeting underway
- 01.11.2017ATC: Most of websites engaged in terrorist recruitment in CIS managed from abroad
- 01.11.2017Russian president arrives in Tehran