Liberal Democrats walk out of Duma session after corruption row with United Russia
All MPs from the LDPR walked out of the Wednesday session of the State Duma after a deputy speaker asked the Parliamentary Ethics Commission to look into their harsh statements accusing the parliamentary majority party of corruption, APA reported citing Russia Today.
The controversy began shortly beforehand as the head of the Liberal Democratic party of Russia (LDPR), Vladimir Zhirinovsky, accused certain unnamed MPs of meddling in the elections of the Moscow Region legislature.
“They have intimidated seven people forced them to take their candidacies off the list, to leave the elections. Who is commanding there? A milk mobster and other thieves and mobsters. The MPs that represent Moscow Region are also corrupt, you have been bribed,” Zhirinovsky said.
He did not name anyone personally, but in his trademark flamboyant manner promised to execute his opponents with through hanging and firing squads once he wins next year’s presidential polls.
On Wednesday, Deputy Speaker Sergey Neverov, who represents parliamentary majority party United Russia called upon the Parliamentary Commission for Ethics to pay attention to Zhirinovsky’s statements and take disciplinary measures if any rules had been violated.
“Political speeches can be emotional, but they must not be insulting or rude. Our voters have decided who should represent them in the State Duma. Gentlemen, please respect our constitution and the presumption of innocence. Only a court can declare someone a criminal, but now we are discussing executions in the State Duma."
Zhirinovsky replied by stating that half of United Russia MPs had no right to be in the State Duma session hall and ordered that his party members walk out from the session in protest.
State Duma Speaker Vyacheslav Volodin then asked the lawmakers to “calm down their emotions,” noting that to him the events looked a lot like a road rage.
This was not the first open standoff between nationalist and populist LDPR and centrist-conservative United Russia. In September 2015, a representative of United Russia’s ally group – the United Popular Front – asked state prosecutors to discipline Zhirinovsky who had called United Russia MPs thieves and accused them of fomenting anti-government riots. At the time, all Liberal Democratic Party members also left the State Duma session hall in protest of the alleged violations during the elections in Amur Region in the Russian Far East.
Prosecutors looked into the incident and concluded that Zhirinovsky had violated no laws and the possible breach of parliamentary conduct must be investigated by the Ethics Commission of the State Duma.
Related news releases
- 22.02.2018Ex-Georgian leader banned entry to Ukraine till 2021
- 20.02.2018Ukrainian president signs Donbass reintegration law
- 20.02.2018Dozens of Russian, CIS citizens killed & injured in recent clashes in Syria – Foreign Ministry
- 20.02.2018Russia summons Ukraine's representative over attack on building in Kiev
- 16.02.2018Russian toll in Syria battle was 300 killed and wounded: sources
- 16.02.2018Truck with 2,500 loaves of bread hijacked in Russia
- 15.02.2018New US sanctions pose no serious threat to Russian economy, russians - Medvedev
- 15.02.2018Reports of scores of Russians killed in Syria are disinformation by anti-govt forces - Moscow
- 14.02.2018Presidents of Russia and Ukraine hold a telephone conversation
- 13.02.2018Lavrov says ‘aggressive minority’ in West impedes establishment of relations with Russia
- 09.02.2018Former governor of Sakhalin region Khoroshavin sentenced to 13 years in jail for bribery
- 07.02.2018Russia favors making UN Security Council more efficient
- 06.02.2018Russian, Kazakh FMs discuss preparations for Caspian Summit
- 06.02.2018Russian Central Election Commission registers Putin as presidential candidate
- 04.02.2018Russian Defense Ministry Releases Video of Su-25 Downing Over Syria - VİDEO
- 04.02.2018Russian weapons deliver strikes on area from which Su-25 was shot down , 30 militants killed
- 03.02.2018Russia’s Foreign Ministry notes anti-Russian focus of US nuclear doctrine
- 02.02.2018Russian CEC chairwoman disapproves of Kremlin spokesman’s statement
- 02.02.2018Armenia: 10-year-old girl kidnapped for debts
- 02.02.2018Russia says U.S. 'hunting' for Russians to arrest around the world
- 01.02.2018UN envoy for Syria highlights role of Sochi congress for Geneva process, says Lavrov
- 01.02.2018Law enforcement officer receives stab wounds in Yerevan
- 01.02.2018Meeting between Russian, Italian FMs kicks off in Moscow
- 31.01.2018Sergei Lavrov: "Sochi Congress Agrees a Constitutional Committee"
- 31.01.2018Group of Five plan for Syria runs counter to Geneva process — Lavrov
- 30.01.2018US ‘Kremlin List’ means nothing to Russia — PM
- 30.01.2018Putin says he feels 'sad' about not being included in US 'Kremlin report’
- 29.01.2018Search for missing Azerbaijanis in the Japanese Sea suspended
- 27.01.2018Russia says new U.S. sanctions are destructive step, will retaliate: RIA
- 26.01.201815 people die from hypothermia in Bishkek in January
- 25.01.2018Zakharova says Turkey is a difficult partner
- 25.01.2018Zakharova: ‘Any country’s destructive intervention in election campaign in Russia will be dealt with harshly’
- 25.01.2018Search operation for missing Russian fishing boat in Sea of Japan
- 23.01.2018Ukraine calls for boycott of 2018 World Cup in Russia
- 22.01.2018Russia says U.S. actions in Syria either a provocation or ill-informed
- 21.01.2018Russia says US 'took provocative steps' by arming YPG in Syria
- 20.01.2018Russia, Iran, Turkey agree lists for Congress in Sochi - president’s representative
- 20.01.2018Russia concerned over Turkey's launch of military op in Syria's Afrin - MoD
- 20.01.2018Russian, US army chiefs discuss Syria by phone
- 19.01.2018U.S. funding hold will hurt U.N. effort to help Palestinian refugees: Russia's Lavrov
- 15.03.2017Putin, Sargsyan meet in Moscow
- 16.03.2017Moscow believes restoration of co-op with Ankara will serve stability in South Caucasus
- 16.03.2017Russia to assist Armenia-Turkey talks – Lavrov
- 15.03.2017Russia's Lavrov slams allegations of Moscow’s new imperial ambition as hoax
- 15.03.2017Russian special services prevented a major terrorist attack planned in Moscow
- 15.03.2017Putin, Sargsyan to discuss Nagorno-Karabakh conflict settlement