Lavrov: Organizers of Ankara terrorist act failed to thwart Moscow meeting
The organizers of the murder of the Russian ambassador in Ankara have failed to thwart the trilateral meeting of the Russian, Iranian and Turkish foreign ministers in Moscow, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said at a meeting with his Iranian counterpart Mohammad Javad Zarif on Tuesday, APA’s Moscow correspondent reported.
“This crime showed us the war on terrorism must be uncompromising and merciless,” Lavrov said, thanking his Iranian counterpart for his solidarity over the terrorist act that killed the Russian ambassador yesterday in Ankara.
The FM noted that the attempts to make the world believe that the support of the legitimate Syrian regime only increases the terrorist threat, are absolutely unacceptable.
The masterminds of the murder of the Russian ambassador in Turkey will fail to thwart the struggle against terrorism, according to Lavrov.
"If the organizers of this terrorist attack intended to thwart the fight against terrorism and our meeting, in particular, they have failed to do this and will fail," Lavrov added.
Iranian FM Mohammad Javad Zarif in his turn offered condolences to his Russian counterpart over the terrorist act.
“Terror today has exceeded the boundary of place. This shows that we must join forces in the fight against terrorism,” Zarif added. “We think that there can be reason for a terrorist act, which proves useless even in achieving short-term goals. We, alongside Russia, are on the front line against terrorism. The trilateral meeting taking place today I think is also going to contribute to the efforts to resolve the Syria conflict. There are excellent conditions today for a political solution to the Syria conflict.”
Russia’s ambassador to Turkey, Andrey Karlov, was gunned down on December 19 as he was speaking at the opening of a photo exhibition Russia from Kaliningrad to Kamchatka through a Traveler’s Eyes.
The Turkish authorities identified the attacker as former police officer Mevlut Mert Altintas. He was promptly eliminated by the local security forces. The attacker had injured three other persons. The Russian Foreign Ministry has qualified the attack as an act of terrorism.
Related news releases
- 18.03.2018Voting begins in Russian 2018 presidential election
- 17.03.2018Russia, Iran, Turkey to assist UN to draft constitutional reform in Syria - Lavrov
- 14.03.2018Moscow not connected to ex-spy’s poisoning: Kremlin
- 14.03.2018Moscow welcomes Turkey’s request for prompt S-400 delivery, Lavrov says
- 14.03.2018Turkish, Russian presidents to meet in Ankara on April 3 – FM
- 14.03.2018Syria, S-400 to be in focus at talks of Russian, Turkish foreign ministers
- 10.03.2018Putin on U.S. election interference: ‘I couldn’t care less’
- 07.03.2018Russia’s Mi-8 helicopter crashes in Chechnya
- 05.03.2018Russia has evidence West trying to save Nusra front for regime change - Lavrov
- 05.03.2018Putin’s adviser: Russia ready to disconnect from global Internet
- 03.03.2018Kremlin rejects U.S. charge Russia in breach of arms control treaties
- 02.03.2018Armen Sarkissian elected 4th President of Armenia
- 01.03.2018Putin: ‘No one listened to us then, so listen to us now’ - REPORTAGE
- 01.03.2018Putin announces Russia possesses hypersonic weapons
- 28.02.2018Shooting kills at least two, injures two in Kazan, Russia
- 26.02.2018Car carrying Armenian PM’s bodyguards crashes in Yerevan
- 24.02.20183 Georgians kidnapped in South Ossetia
- 22.02.2018Russian President met with the heads and deputy defense ministers of several countries
- 22.02.2018Ex-Georgian leader banned entry to Ukraine till 2021
- 20.02.2018Ukrainian president signs Donbass reintegration law
- 20.02.2018Dozens of Russian, CIS citizens killed & injured in recent clashes in Syria – Foreign Ministry
- 20.02.2018Russia summons Ukraine's representative over attack on building in Kiev
- 16.02.2018Russian toll in Syria battle was 300 killed and wounded: sources
- 16.02.2018Truck with 2,500 loaves of bread hijacked in Russia
- 15.02.2018New US sanctions pose no serious threat to Russian economy, russians - Medvedev
- 15.02.2018Reports of scores of Russians killed in Syria are disinformation by anti-govt forces - Moscow
- 14.02.2018Presidents of Russia and Ukraine hold a telephone conversation
- 13.02.2018Lavrov says ‘aggressive minority’ in West impedes establishment of relations with Russia
- 09.02.2018Former governor of Sakhalin region Khoroshavin sentenced to 13 years in jail for bribery
- 07.02.2018Russia favors making UN Security Council more efficient
- 06.02.2018Russian, Kazakh FMs discuss preparations for Caspian Summit
- 06.02.2018Russian Central Election Commission registers Putin as presidential candidate
- 04.02.2018Russian Defense Ministry Releases Video of Su-25 Downing Over Syria - VİDEO
- 04.02.2018Russian weapons deliver strikes on area from which Su-25 was shot down , 30 militants killed
- 03.02.2018Russia’s Foreign Ministry notes anti-Russian focus of US nuclear doctrine
- 02.02.2018Russian CEC chairwoman disapproves of Kremlin spokesman’s statement
- 02.02.2018Armenia: 10-year-old girl kidnapped for debts
- 02.02.2018Russia says U.S. 'hunting' for Russians to arrest around the world
- 01.02.2018UN envoy for Syria highlights role of Sochi congress for Geneva process, says Lavrov
- 01.02.2018Law enforcement officer receives stab wounds in Yerevan
- 20.12.2016Russia, Turkey, Iran FMs holding meeting in Moscow
- 20.12.2016Turkey, Russia, Iran agree on joint Syria declaration
- 20.12.2016Jet carrying body of slain Russian ambassador lands at Moscow airport - VIDEO
- 20.12.2016FM: Turkey, Russia not to allow ambassador shooting to deteriorate ties
- 20.12.2016Russian, Turkish FMs holding meeting in Moscow
- 20.12.2016Lavrov: “Ambassador's murder aimed at disrupting normalization of Russian-Turkish ties”