Lavrov: Organizers of Ankara terrorist act failed to thwart Moscow meeting
The organizers of the murder of the Russian ambassador in Ankara have failed to thwart the trilateral meeting of the Russian, Iranian and Turkish foreign ministers in Moscow, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said at a meeting with his Iranian counterpart Mohammad Javad Zarif on Tuesday, APA’s Moscow correspondent reported.
“This crime showed us the war on terrorism must be uncompromising and merciless,” Lavrov said, thanking his Iranian counterpart for his solidarity over the terrorist act that killed the Russian ambassador yesterday in Ankara.
The FM noted that the attempts to make the world believe that the support of the legitimate Syrian regime only increases the terrorist threat, are absolutely unacceptable.
The masterminds of the murder of the Russian ambassador in Turkey will fail to thwart the struggle against terrorism, according to Lavrov.
"If the organizers of this terrorist attack intended to thwart the fight against terrorism and our meeting, in particular, they have failed to do this and will fail," Lavrov added.
Iranian FM Mohammad Javad Zarif in his turn offered condolences to his Russian counterpart over the terrorist act.
“Terror today has exceeded the boundary of place. This shows that we must join forces in the fight against terrorism,” Zarif added. “We think that there can be reason for a terrorist act, which proves useless even in achieving short-term goals. We, alongside Russia, are on the front line against terrorism. The trilateral meeting taking place today I think is also going to contribute to the efforts to resolve the Syria conflict. There are excellent conditions today for a political solution to the Syria conflict.”
Russia’s ambassador to Turkey, Andrey Karlov, was gunned down on December 19 as he was speaking at the opening of a photo exhibition Russia from Kaliningrad to Kamchatka through a Traveler’s Eyes.
The Turkish authorities identified the attacker as former police officer Mevlut Mert Altintas. He was promptly eliminated by the local security forces. The attacker had injured three other persons. The Russian Foreign Ministry has qualified the attack as an act of terrorism.
Related news releases
- 09.08.2017Russian Defense Ministry renovating major facilities for FIFA World Cup
- 08.08.2017Russia's Putin visits breakaway Georgian region of Abkhazia: Kremlin
- 06.08.2017Russia’s ex-envoy to US says his talks with Flynn were about Russian-US cooperation
- 05.08.2017Russian minister says U.S. exit from Paris pact "terrible mistake"
- 05.08.2017Russia says reserves right to retaliate over new EU sanctions
- 04.08.2017Russian deputy minister blacklisted in new EU sanctions over Siemens turbines to Crimea
- 03.08.2017Kremlin: Moldova Gov't Declaring Rogozin Persona Non-Grata Unacceptable
- 02.08.2017Russian PM Medvedev on new sanctions: 'US declares full-fledged trade war'
- 02.08.2017Moldovan gov't declares Russian Deputy Prime Minister Rogozin Persona Non-Grata
- 02.08.2017Georgian officials strongly criticize Putin’s forthcoming visit to Abkhazia
- 01.08.2017Moscow court shooting: Three 'Grand Theft Auto' gang members killed in bungled bid to escape trial
- 01.08.2017Four killed in shooting at Moscow court: lawyer
- 01.08.2017Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan continue talks on border settlement - Kyrgyz Government
- 30.07.2017Russia to continue delivering rocket engines to US — deputy premier
- 29.07.2017Moldova demands Russia to withdraw its troops from Transnistria
- 28.07.2017Russia orders out U.S. diplomats in sanctions retaliation
- 28.07.2017Russia suspends US embassy use of diplomatic properties in Moscow
- 28.07.20177 suspected terrorists detained in St. Petersburg
- 28.07.2017Uzbek prosecutors charge ex-leader's daughter of 6 criminal offenses
- 27.07.2017Putin: We'll have to retaliate against 'illegal' U.S. sanctions
- 27.07.2017Russia's response to U.S. sanctions to hinge on final bill text: Putin
- 26.07.2017Ukraine deports Russian journalist
- 26.07.2017Russia calls US source of danger
- 25.07.2017Man planning to fly to Syria to join ISIL via Baku detained in Russia
- 25.07.2017Applicants for higher education decreasing in numbers in Armenia
- 25.07.2017Trump slams AG Sessions' 'weak' position on Clinton emails
- 22.07.2017Lavrov says US continues support to some opposition groups in Syria
- 20.07.2017Kremlin says not considering Lapshin’s extradition to Russia
- 18.07.2017Russia reiterates its restrained stance on North Korean issue settlement
- 18.07.2017Fire in Mosow high-rise extinguished - UPDATED
- 17.07.2017Sargsyan: Russia’s sale of arms to Azerbaijan is most painful aspect of Armenia-Russia relations
- 16.07.2017Suspects in attack on Russian tourists in Abkhazia identified - security service
- 14.07.2017Russia's Putin hopes dialogue with Trump will continue
- 14.07.2017Lawmaker Zhirinovsky: United Russian-Armenian military group should be under Russian command
- 14.07.2017Russian Duma ratifies agreement to keep 49-year presence at Syrian naval and air base
- 14.07.2017Russia ratifies agreement on joint group of forces with Armenia
- 14.07.2017Moscow threatens to reduce number of American diplomats at US embassy
- 14.07.2017The State Duma will consider ratification of the agreement with Armenia
- 13.07.2017Sergei Lavrov: "Russia does not support Assad"
- 13.07.2017Boris Nemtsov killer sentenced to 20 years in prison
- 20.12.2016Russia, Turkey, Iran FMs holding meeting in Moscow
- 20.12.2016Turkey, Russia, Iran agree on joint Syria declaration
- 20.12.2016Jet carrying body of slain Russian ambassador lands at Moscow airport - VIDEO
- 20.12.2016FM: Turkey, Russia not to allow ambassador shooting to deteriorate ties
- 20.12.2016Russian, Turkish FMs holding meeting in Moscow
- 20.12.2016Lavrov: “Ambassador's murder aimed at disrupting normalization of Russian-Turkish ties”