Lavrov: Moscow wants to know Trump administration’s real intentions
Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said on Wednesday that Moscow wants to know what the real intentions of the Trump administration are.
Speaking ahead of a meeting with his US counterpart Rex Tillerson in Moscow, Lavrov expressed concern about the US decision to strike a Syrian airbase, APA’s Moscow correspondent reported.
“We hope that such actions will not be repeated by Washington. I think your visit to Moscow is of great importance. At the same time, Moscow needs to want the Trump administration’s real intentions,” he said.
Lavrov stressed that Russia is always in favor of conducting dialogue.
“We always support joint activity. We have repeteadly expressed our position to our US colleagues,” added the top Russian diplomat.
In his turn, Tillerson outlined that Washington is interested to maintain relations with Russia.
"We are in frequent telephone contact with you. Washington is in favor this line remaining open,” said the top US diplomat.
Tillerson continued: “This meeting is taking place at a time very crucial for us. We’re trying to explain our positions to each other. We have a common goal and a common duty. Despite the differences in our tactical approaches, we have overlapping interests. Hopefully, this meeting will help the open dialogue for us to make our bilateral relations develop in the positive direction.”
Lavrov and Tillerson will also discuss the Syrian conflict, the problems with Ukraine and North Korea, as well as Russia-US relations.
The meeting will be followed by a press conference.
- 22.05.2017Putin to meet with Macron in Paris on May 29
- 22.05.2017Russia, Turkey sign joint statement on mutual lifting of trade restrictions
- 22.05.2017Turkmenistan: Report claims deputy PM committed suicide
- 19.05.2017Jail term extended for “ex-defense minister” of Karabakh separatist regime
- 19.05.2017OSCE chief says current challenges to European security require cooperation
- 18.05.2017Ara Babloyan from ruling RPA elected Armenian parliament speaker
- 18.05.2017Armenian president accepts government’s resignation
- 18.05.2017Putin offers transcript to prove Trump did not pass Russia secrets
- 17.05.2017EU, Ukraine sign visa liberalization agreement
- 17.05.2017One more Armenian soldier killed
- 17.05.2017Putin: Russia ready to provide US Congress with transcript of Trump-Lavrov talks
- 17.05.2017UN: Economic growth in CIS to make up 1.4% this year, 2% in 2018
- 15.05.2017Russian MFA employee shoots wife, daughter to death, then commits suicide
- 12.05.2017Russia to welcome any US contribution to setting up de-escalation zones in Syria — Lavrov
- 11.05.2017EU Council of Ministers decides on visa-free regime for Ukraine
- 10.05.2017Putin, Abbas to meet in Sochi to discuss Mideast settlement
- 09.05.2017Ambassador says Russia military base in Armenia could be expanded
- 09.05.2017Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov to start visit to US on Tuesday
- 06.05.2017Russia says Syria de-escalation deal to take effect at midnight: agencies
- 05.05.2017Russian, German top diplomats agree to continue Normandy-format efforts
- 03.05.2017Russia hopes for steady development of relations with Turkey — Putin
- 03.05.2017First deputy chief of Armenian General Staff dismissed
- 03.05.2017Putin and Trump stress importance of anti-terrorism cooperation
- 02.05.2017Russian Military Adviser Killed In Syria - Russian MoD
- 02.05.2017Kremlin reveals what Putin and Trump discussed over the phone - UPDATED
- 02.05.2017Survey: Majority of Russians desire Putin’s re-election as President
- 01.05.2017Russian FM Lavrov, US State Secretary Tillerson agree on date of next meeting
- 29.04.2017Russian foreign ministry: US anti-missile systems in Eastern Europe violate INF Treaty
- 29.04.2017Charges filed against rectors of three private universities in Armenia
- 29.04.2017Over 20 feared buried after landslide hits southern Kyrgyzstan
- 28.04.2017Merkel to discuss Ukrainian crisis, Syria with Putin
- 28.04.2017Russian prosecutors confirm bid urging Interpol to put Ukraine’s ex-PM on wanted list
- 28.04.2017Russia's PM Medvedev thanks Turkish premier for help in evacuating crew of wrecked ship
- 27.04.201713 people indicted for theft from EU Armenia delegation grant funds - UPDATED
- 26.04.2017Russia says U.S. missile strike on Syria was a threat to its forces
- 26.04.2017Sixth Moscow conference on int’l security kicks off
- 25.04.2017Russian schoolboy hospitalized after being attacked by lion
- 24.04.2017Georgian first lady’s brother sentenced to 4 years in prison
- 24.04.2017Mogherini: EU still has disagreements with Russia on Ukraine issue
- 22.04.2017Russian serviceman killed in Armenia
- 12.04.2017Putin vows he won’t allow color revolutions in Russia
- 12.04.2017Putin: Almost half of foreign Islamic State militants are from CIS countries
- 12.04.2017Russian, Iranian and Syrian foreign ministers to meet in Moscow
- 12.04.2017Putin says Russia's faith in US has waned since Trump's inauguration
- 12.04.2017Kazakhstan switches to Latin alphabet
- 12.04.2017Pentagon aims to weaken Syrian government’s forces — Russian Defense Ministry