Lavrov: Moscow wants to know Trump administration’s real intentions
Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said on Wednesday that Moscow wants to know what the real intentions of the Trump administration are.
Speaking ahead of a meeting with his US counterpart Rex Tillerson in Moscow, Lavrov expressed concern about the US decision to strike a Syrian airbase, APA’s Moscow correspondent reported.
“We hope that such actions will not be repeated by Washington. I think your visit to Moscow is of great importance. At the same time, Moscow needs to want the Trump administration’s real intentions,” he said.
Lavrov stressed that Russia is always in favor of conducting dialogue.
“We always support joint activity. We have repeteadly expressed our position to our US colleagues,” added the top Russian diplomat.
In his turn, Tillerson outlined that Washington is interested to maintain relations with Russia.
"We are in frequent telephone contact with you. Washington is in favor this line remaining open,” said the top US diplomat.
Tillerson continued: “This meeting is taking place at a time very crucial for us. We’re trying to explain our positions to each other. We have a common goal and a common duty. Despite the differences in our tactical approaches, we have overlapping interests. Hopefully, this meeting will help the open dialogue for us to make our bilateral relations develop in the positive direction.”
Lavrov and Tillerson will also discuss the Syrian conflict, the problems with Ukraine and North Korea, as well as Russia-US relations.
The meeting will be followed by a press conference.
- 17.01.2018Putin is in good shape, Kremlin says
- 17.01.2018Businessman, son killed in Russia’s Orenburg
- 16.01.2018Armenia army general staff deputy chief’s son dies in car crash
- 16.01.2018Yerevan minibus drivers go on strike
- 16.01.2018Russia will not support U.S. bid to change Iran nuclear deal: Lavrov
- 15.01.2018Date set for presidential election in Armenia
- 13.01.201846 hospitalized in Russia after contracting salmonella
- 12.01.2018Russian military eliminates militants who shelled Hmeymim airbase on Dec. 31
- 11.01.2018Putin says Russia ready to return to Ukraine dozens of naval ships, warplanes
- 11.01.2018General Staff reveals details of drones that attacked Russian bases in Syria
- 09.01.2018Passenger bus overturns in Russia’s Stavropol region injuring four
- 08.01.2018Details emerge of Chechen rebel commander Khattab’s death
- 04.01.2018Hrymchak claims gas pipeline from Ukraine to Europe planned to be blown up in 2014-2015
- 03.01.2018Russian military helicopter crashes in Syria, killing two
- 31.12.20172 injured as unknown man opened fire near Red Square in Moscow
- 30.12.2017Suspect in St Petersburg blast has psychiatric record - source
- 30.12.2017St Petersburg supermarket blast suspect detained - FSB
- 30.12.2017Russia, Uzbekistan sign nuclear energy deal
- 29.12.2017Three injured after bus plows into public transport stop in Moscow - UPDATED
- 28.12.2017Moscow: Erdogan's claims that Assad is a 'terrorist' have no legal basis
- 28.12.2017Mass carbon monoxide poisoning reported among schoolchildren in Kyrgyzstan
- 28.12.2017Putin announces number of military servicemen involved in Syria op
- 28.12.2017Ukraine and pro-Russian rebels swap prisoners before New Year
- 27.12.2017Kiev, pro-Russian separatists exchange hostages
- 27.12.2017Blast injures ten in St Petersburg shop, 50 evacuated
- 27.12.2017Russia’s election commission accepts Putin’s documents for nomination
- 27.12.2017Gunman kills one in Moscow factory building, takes several hostages
- 27.12.2017Zenit-2SB rocket carrying Angolan satellite blasts off from Baikonur — Roscosmos
- 26.12.2017Belarusian leader hails Russia’s role in anti-terrorist efforts in Syria
- 26.12.2017President of Azerbaijan: "Russia is a stabilization factor on a global scale"
- 26.12.2017Informal meeting of CIS leaders starts - UPDATED
- 25.12.2017Russian officials bar Navalny from running for president
- 25.12.2017Five killed in Moscow as bus drives into pedestrian underpass
- 24.12.2017Russia’s State Duma can take tit-for-tat measures if RT’s license in France is revoked
- 23.12.2017Putin says Russia is not "adorable grandma"
- 23.12.2017Russia ready to work with all countries on basis of trust - Putin
- 23.12.2017Everything preventing Russia’s renovation should be left out – Putin
- 22.12.2017Johnson and Lavrov clash in Moscow talks
- 22.12.2017Russian CEC approves Zhirinovsky’s presidential candidacy
- 21.12.2017Turkey, Russia to sign deal on S-400 in coming days
- 12.04.2017Putin vows he won’t allow color revolutions in Russia
- 12.04.2017Putin: Almost half of foreign Islamic State militants are from CIS countries
- 12.04.2017Russian, Iranian and Syrian foreign ministers to meet in Moscow
- 12.04.2017Putin says Russia's faith in US has waned since Trump's inauguration
- 12.04.2017Kazakhstan switches to Latin alphabet
- 12.04.2017Pentagon aims to weaken Syrian government’s forces — Russian Defense Ministry