Lavrov called the condition of the abolition of visas for Georgian citizens
Condition for easing the visa regime between Russia and Georgia is the restoration of law enforcement cooperation between the two countries, said Russian foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov on the sidelines of the Munich security conference, APA reports quoting TASS.
The Minister called the possibility of returning the visa-free regime with Georgia is a complex issue and noted that he was “a little weird” to discuss in the absence of diplomatic relations with Tbilisi. “But it is also associated with the need to ensure the safety, not only Central Asia but the Caucasus is becoming a route that trying to use the militants and extremists,” said Lavrov.
The Russian foreign Minister added that talking about simplifying the visa regime will be after solving these problems through the cooperation between the law enforcement agencies of Russia and Georgia. He also drew attention to the fact that between the two countries is growing, increasing the number of flights, and the citizens of Georgia, “almost any reason” unable to visit Russia.
In December 2016, Russian President Vladimir Putin did not rule out a resumption of a visa-free regime for citizens of Georgia, saying that Moscow sees “certain signals” from Tbilisi. However, he pointed out the necessity of normalization of cooperation between law enforcement and intelligence agencies of the two countries.
Diplomatic relations between Russia and Georgia were severed in 2008.
Related news releases
- 17.12.2017Austria’s new government set to lift anti-Russian sanctions
- 16.12.2017Gunman killed in armed clash in Russia’s Kabardino-Balkaria Region
- 15.12.2017Russian ex-minister Ulyukayev gets 8 years in prison for extorting $2 mln bribe
- 15.12.2017Russian presidential election set for March 18
- 15.12.2017Russia to double ballistic missile tests in 2018
- 15.12.2017Putin, Trump discuss Russia-US relations, North Korea in phone call
- 15.12.2017Russia unlikely to apply for participation in PACE’s work in 2018 — Russian MP
- 15.12.2017Moscow denies Russian jets intercepted by US F-22s in Syria
- 14.12.2017Russia, U.S. could cooperate on Afghanistan – Putin
- 14.12.2017Putin on Saakashvili's actions: This is 'a spit in the face of Ukrainian, Georgian people'
- 14.12.2017Trump faces restrictions in implementing intention to improve ties with Russia – Putin
- 14.12.2017Putin says Washington has in fact quit INF treaty
- 13.12.2017Erdogan's position on Jerusalem does not coincide with Russia's - Peskov
- 12.12.2017Price of AI-92 gasoline reduced in Kazakhstan
- 12.12.2017Soldier wounded in landmine explosion at Armenian border
- 12.12.2017Russian military chief criticizes U.S., Japan and South Korea drills
- 11.12.2017Kyiv court turns down prosecutor's motion to place Saakashvili under house arrest - UPDATED
- 09.12.2017Ex-President of Georgia goes on hunger strike in Ukrainian Jail
- 09.12.2017Mikheil Saakashvili detained in Kyiv
- 08.12.2017Russian FM: Trump’s Jerusalem decision contradicts all agreements
- 06.12.2017Russia claims Daesh completely destroyed in Syria
- 06.12.2017Putin says to seek new presidential term in 2018
- 06.12.2017Russian lower house slaps ban on US ‘foreign agent’ mass media from visiting State Duma
- 05.12.201741% of Russians want Lenin’s body to be buried
- 05.12.2017Russia's Investigative Committee appeals to General Prosecutor's Office for putting Telman Ismailov on Interpol’s wanted list
- 02.12.2017Sergey Lavrov: "We have no doubts and suspicions towards Azerbaijan"
- 02.12.2017Russia’s Foreign Ministry confirms Lavrov, Tillerson plan to meet in Vienna
- 01.12.2017Russia strengthened air defense in the North Caucasus
- 27.11.2017Iranian foreign minister to visit Armenia
- 26.11.2017Russia’s ex-finance minister regrets adoption of foreign agent media law
- 25.11.2017Tiger shot dead in Paris after escaping from circus
- 25.11.2017Fire in Batumi hotel kills eleven - UPDATED
- 25.11.2017Ukraine rebel region's security minister says he is new leader
- 23.11.2017Russia to cut task force in Syria — General Staff
- 23.11.20172 killed, 6 injured in shootout in Dagestan, closer to the border with Azerbaijan
- 22.11.2017Turkey, Russia, Iran vow to back Syria's sovereignty
- 22.11.2017Putin, Erdogan and Rouhani agree on holding Syrian national dialogue congress in Sochi
- 22.11.2017Turkish, Russian, Iranian presidents meet in Sochi
- 22.11.2017Russian baritone Hvorostovsky dies at 55
- 21.11.2017Putin and Assad meet in Sochi
- 20.02.2017Seven schoolchildren hospitalized with carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms in Armenia
- 20.02.2017Armenia disapproves of Azerbaijan's arms purchases from Russia
- 20.02.2017Kazakh MFA awaiting explanation from Bishkek
- 18.02.2017Putin signs decree on recognition of documents issued by separatist regimes
- 16.02.2017Discussed issues at the Dunford-Gerasimov meeting become known
- 16.02.2017Lavrov says Tillerson ready to support Syrian peace talks in Astana