Lavrov called the condition of the abolition of visas for Georgian citizens
Condition for easing the visa regime between Russia and Georgia is the restoration of law enforcement cooperation between the two countries, said Russian foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov on the sidelines of the Munich security conference, APA reports quoting TASS.
The Minister called the possibility of returning the visa-free regime with Georgia is a complex issue and noted that he was “a little weird” to discuss in the absence of diplomatic relations with Tbilisi. “But it is also associated with the need to ensure the safety, not only Central Asia but the Caucasus is becoming a route that trying to use the militants and extremists,” said Lavrov.
The Russian foreign Minister added that talking about simplifying the visa regime will be after solving these problems through the cooperation between the law enforcement agencies of Russia and Georgia. He also drew attention to the fact that between the two countries is growing, increasing the number of flights, and the citizens of Georgia, “almost any reason” unable to visit Russia.
In December 2016, Russian President Vladimir Putin did not rule out a resumption of a visa-free regime for citizens of Georgia, saying that Moscow sees “certain signals” from Tbilisi. However, he pointed out the necessity of normalization of cooperation between law enforcement and intelligence agencies of the two countries.
Diplomatic relations between Russia and Georgia were severed in 2008.
Related news releases
- 09.08.2017Russian Defense Ministry renovating major facilities for FIFA World Cup
- 08.08.2017Russia's Putin visits breakaway Georgian region of Abkhazia: Kremlin
- 06.08.2017Russia’s ex-envoy to US says his talks with Flynn were about Russian-US cooperation
- 05.08.2017Russian minister says U.S. exit from Paris pact "terrible mistake"
- 05.08.2017Russia says reserves right to retaliate over new EU sanctions
- 04.08.2017Russian deputy minister blacklisted in new EU sanctions over Siemens turbines to Crimea
- 03.08.2017Kremlin: Moldova Gov't Declaring Rogozin Persona Non-Grata Unacceptable
- 02.08.2017Russian PM Medvedev on new sanctions: 'US declares full-fledged trade war'
- 02.08.2017Moldovan gov't declares Russian Deputy Prime Minister Rogozin Persona Non-Grata
- 02.08.2017Georgian officials strongly criticize Putin’s forthcoming visit to Abkhazia
- 01.08.2017Moscow court shooting: Three 'Grand Theft Auto' gang members killed in bungled bid to escape trial
- 01.08.2017Four killed in shooting at Moscow court: lawyer
- 01.08.2017Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan continue talks on border settlement - Kyrgyz Government
- 30.07.2017Russia to continue delivering rocket engines to US — deputy premier
- 29.07.2017Moldova demands Russia to withdraw its troops from Transnistria
- 28.07.2017Russia orders out U.S. diplomats in sanctions retaliation
- 28.07.2017Russia suspends US embassy use of diplomatic properties in Moscow
- 28.07.20177 suspected terrorists detained in St. Petersburg
- 28.07.2017Uzbek prosecutors charge ex-leader's daughter of 6 criminal offenses
- 27.07.2017Putin: We'll have to retaliate against 'illegal' U.S. sanctions
- 27.07.2017Russia's response to U.S. sanctions to hinge on final bill text: Putin
- 26.07.2017Ukraine deports Russian journalist
- 26.07.2017Russia calls US source of danger
- 25.07.2017Man planning to fly to Syria to join ISIL via Baku detained in Russia
- 25.07.2017Applicants for higher education decreasing in numbers in Armenia
- 25.07.2017Trump slams AG Sessions' 'weak' position on Clinton emails
- 22.07.2017Lavrov says US continues support to some opposition groups in Syria
- 20.07.2017Kremlin says not considering Lapshin’s extradition to Russia
- 18.07.2017Russia reiterates its restrained stance on North Korean issue settlement
- 18.07.2017Fire in Mosow high-rise extinguished - UPDATED
- 17.07.2017Sargsyan: Russia’s sale of arms to Azerbaijan is most painful aspect of Armenia-Russia relations
- 16.07.2017Suspects in attack on Russian tourists in Abkhazia identified - security service
- 14.07.2017Russia's Putin hopes dialogue with Trump will continue
- 14.07.2017Lawmaker Zhirinovsky: United Russian-Armenian military group should be under Russian command
- 14.07.2017Russian Duma ratifies agreement to keep 49-year presence at Syrian naval and air base
- 14.07.2017Russia ratifies agreement on joint group of forces with Armenia
- 14.07.2017Moscow threatens to reduce number of American diplomats at US embassy
- 14.07.2017The State Duma will consider ratification of the agreement with Armenia
- 13.07.2017Sergei Lavrov: "Russia does not support Assad"
- 13.07.2017Boris Nemtsov killer sentenced to 20 years in prison
- 20.02.2017Seven schoolchildren hospitalized with carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms in Armenia
- 20.02.2017Armenia disapproves of Azerbaijan's arms purchases from Russia
- 20.02.2017Kazakh MFA awaiting explanation from Bishkek
- 18.02.2017Putin signs decree on recognition of documents issued by separatist regimes
- 16.02.2017Discussed issues at the Dunford-Gerasimov meeting become known
- 16.02.2017Lavrov says Tillerson ready to support Syrian peace talks in Astana