Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan continue talks on border settlement - Kyrgyz Government
The Kyrgyz-Uzbek frontier has repeatedly become a center of clashes between local residents, sometimes leading to armed conflicts. After Shavkat Mirziyoyev took Uzbekistan's presidential office in 2016, the bilateral relations between the countries experienced a massive breakthrough. As of May 2017, Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan have agreed on around 1,055 kilometers (slightly over 650 miles), or 76.5 percent, of bilateral border line, APA reports quoting sputniknews.
"Since the renewal of the talks, from August 2016 to July 31, 2017, a total of 14 governmental delegation task groups' meetings have been held, where the problems of boundary delimitation and demarcation have been discussed," the statement says.
According to the statement, the negotiation teams' heads Uzbek ambassador at large and adviser to the Uzbekistan's Minister of Interior Affairs Ilhom Nematov and Kyrgyz government special representative Kurbanbai Iskandarov have informed Kyrgyzstan's Prime Minister Sooronbai Zheenbekov on the talks process, particularly on the nine-day negotiations held in Bishkek between July 20 and 29.
"Overall, the meeting was held on a constructive basis and in a friendly atmosphere. Based on the results of the negotiations, we have signed a protocol and agreed upon holding another task group meeting on the territory of Uzbekistan," the press service added.
In June 2017, Kyrgyz and Uzbek presidents charged responsible authorities with the task of accelerating the work on signing the bilateral delimitation and demarcation agreement on the sidelines of Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) meeting in Kazakhstan's capital city of Astana.
Related news releases
- 09.08.2017Russian Defense Ministry renovating major facilities for FIFA World Cup
- 08.08.2017Russia's Putin visits breakaway Georgian region of Abkhazia: Kremlin
- 06.08.2017Russia’s ex-envoy to US says his talks with Flynn were about Russian-US cooperation
- 05.08.2017Russian minister says U.S. exit from Paris pact "terrible mistake"
- 05.08.2017Russia says reserves right to retaliate over new EU sanctions
- 04.08.2017Russian deputy minister blacklisted in new EU sanctions over Siemens turbines to Crimea
- 03.08.2017Kremlin: Moldova Gov't Declaring Rogozin Persona Non-Grata Unacceptable
- 02.08.2017Russian PM Medvedev on new sanctions: 'US declares full-fledged trade war'
- 02.08.2017Moldovan gov't declares Russian Deputy Prime Minister Rogozin Persona Non-Grata
- 28.07.2017Russia suspends US embassy use of diplomatic properties in Moscow
- 28.07.20177 suspected terrorists detained in St. Petersburg
- 28.07.2017Uzbek prosecutors charge ex-leader's daughter of 6 criminal offenses
- 27.07.2017Putin: We'll have to retaliate against 'illegal' U.S. sanctions
- 27.07.2017Russia's response to U.S. sanctions to hinge on final bill text: Putin
- 26.07.2017Ukraine deports Russian journalist
- 26.07.2017Russia calls US source of danger
- 25.07.2017Man planning to fly to Syria to join ISIL via Baku detained in Russia
- 25.07.2017Applicants for higher education decreasing in numbers in Armenia
- 25.07.2017Trump slams AG Sessions' 'weak' position on Clinton emails
- 22.07.2017Lavrov says US continues support to some opposition groups in Syria
- 20.07.2017Kremlin says not considering Lapshin’s extradition to Russia
- 18.07.2017Russia reiterates its restrained stance on North Korean issue settlement
- 18.07.2017Fire in Mosow high-rise extinguished - UPDATED
- 17.07.2017Sargsyan: Russia’s sale of arms to Azerbaijan is most painful aspect of Armenia-Russia relations
- 16.07.2017Suspects in attack on Russian tourists in Abkhazia identified - security service
- 14.07.2017Russia's Putin hopes dialogue with Trump will continue
- 14.07.2017Lawmaker Zhirinovsky: United Russian-Armenian military group should be under Russian command
- 14.07.2017Russian Duma ratifies agreement to keep 49-year presence at Syrian naval and air base
- 14.07.2017Russia ratifies agreement on joint group of forces with Armenia
- 14.07.2017Moscow threatens to reduce number of American diplomats at US embassy
- 14.07.2017The State Duma will consider ratification of the agreement with Armenia
- 13.07.2017Sergei Lavrov: "Russia does not support Assad"
- 13.07.2017Boris Nemtsov killer sentenced to 20 years in prison
- 12.07.2017Russian defense adviser killed in militant attack in Hama, Syria
- 08.07.2017Putin: US position on Syria became more pragmatic
- 05.07.2017Astana, Washington sign 5-year defense cooperation plan
- 05.07.2017Anatoly Serdyukov to head Rostvertol’s board of directors
- 04.07.2017Chinese president says ties with Putin stronger than with any other leader
- 02.07.201710 people killed, 12 injured in bus, truck crash in Russia's Tatarstan
- 01.07.2017Putin has phone talks with Qatar, Bahrain on Gulf row
- 01.08.2017Four killed in shooting at Moscow court: lawyer
- 01.08.2017Moscow court shooting: Three 'Grand Theft Auto' gang members killed in bungled bid to escape trial
- 02.08.2017Georgian officials strongly criticize Putin’s forthcoming visit to Abkhazia
- 30.07.2017Russia to continue delivering rocket engines to US — deputy premier
- 29.07.2017Moldova demands Russia to withdraw its troops from Transnistria
- 28.07.2017Russia orders out U.S. diplomats in sanctions retaliation