Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan continue talks on border settlement - Kyrgyz Government
The Kyrgyz-Uzbek frontier has repeatedly become a center of clashes between local residents, sometimes leading to armed conflicts. After Shavkat Mirziyoyev took Uzbekistan's presidential office in 2016, the bilateral relations between the countries experienced a massive breakthrough. As of May 2017, Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan have agreed on around 1,055 kilometers (slightly over 650 miles), or 76.5 percent, of bilateral border line, APA reports quoting sputniknews.
"Since the renewal of the talks, from August 2016 to July 31, 2017, a total of 14 governmental delegation task groups' meetings have been held, where the problems of boundary delimitation and demarcation have been discussed," the statement says.
According to the statement, the negotiation teams' heads Uzbek ambassador at large and adviser to the Uzbekistan's Minister of Interior Affairs Ilhom Nematov and Kyrgyz government special representative Kurbanbai Iskandarov have informed Kyrgyzstan's Prime Minister Sooronbai Zheenbekov on the talks process, particularly on the nine-day negotiations held in Bishkek between July 20 and 29.
"Overall, the meeting was held on a constructive basis and in a friendly atmosphere. Based on the results of the negotiations, we have signed a protocol and agreed upon holding another task group meeting on the territory of Uzbekistan," the press service added.
In June 2017, Kyrgyz and Uzbek presidents charged responsible authorities with the task of accelerating the work on signing the bilateral delimitation and demarcation agreement on the sidelines of Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) meeting in Kazakhstan's capital city of Astana.
Related news releases
- 15.12.2017Russian presidential election set for March 18
- 15.12.2017Russia to double ballistic missile tests in 2018
- 15.12.2017Putin, Trump discuss Russia-US relations, North Korea in phone call
- 15.12.2017Russia unlikely to apply for participation in PACE’s work in 2018 — Russian MP
- 15.12.2017Moscow denies Russian jets intercepted by US F-22s in Syria
- 14.12.2017Russia, U.S. could cooperate on Afghanistan – Putin
- 14.12.2017Putin on Saakashvili's actions: This is 'a spit in the face of Ukrainian, Georgian people'
- 14.12.2017Trump faces restrictions in implementing intention to improve ties with Russia – Putin
- 14.12.2017Putin says Washington has in fact quit INF treaty
- 13.12.2017Erdogan's position on Jerusalem does not coincide with Russia's - Peskov
- 12.12.2017Price of AI-92 gasoline reduced in Kazakhstan
- 12.12.2017Soldier wounded in landmine explosion at Armenian border
- 12.12.2017Russian military chief criticizes U.S., Japan and South Korea drills
- 11.12.2017Kyiv court turns down prosecutor's motion to place Saakashvili under house arrest - UPDATED
- 09.12.2017Ex-President of Georgia goes on hunger strike in Ukrainian Jail
- 09.12.2017Mikheil Saakashvili detained in Kyiv
- 08.12.2017Russian FM: Trump’s Jerusalem decision contradicts all agreements
- 06.12.2017Russia claims Daesh completely destroyed in Syria
- 06.12.2017Putin says to seek new presidential term in 2018
- 06.12.2017Russian lower house slaps ban on US ‘foreign agent’ mass media from visiting State Duma
- 05.12.201741% of Russians want Lenin’s body to be buried
- 05.12.2017Russia's Investigative Committee appeals to General Prosecutor's Office for putting Telman Ismailov on Interpol’s wanted list
- 02.12.2017Sergey Lavrov: "We have no doubts and suspicions towards Azerbaijan"
- 02.12.2017Russia’s Foreign Ministry confirms Lavrov, Tillerson plan to meet in Vienna
- 01.12.2017Russia strengthened air defense in the North Caucasus
- 27.11.2017Iranian foreign minister to visit Armenia
- 26.11.2017Russia’s ex-finance minister regrets adoption of foreign agent media law
- 25.11.2017Tiger shot dead in Paris after escaping from circus
- 25.11.2017Fire in Batumi hotel kills eleven - UPDATED
- 25.11.2017Ukraine rebel region's security minister says he is new leader
- 23.11.2017Russia to cut task force in Syria — General Staff
- 23.11.20172 killed, 6 injured in shootout in Dagestan, closer to the border with Azerbaijan
- 22.11.2017Turkey, Russia, Iran vow to back Syria's sovereignty
- 22.11.2017Putin, Erdogan and Rouhani agree on holding Syrian national dialogue congress in Sochi
- 22.11.2017Turkish, Russian, Iranian presidents meet in Sochi
- 22.11.2017Russian baritone Hvorostovsky dies at 55
- 21.11.2017Putin and Assad meet in Sochi
- 18.11.2017Five injured in passenger bus-truck collision in Russia
- 17.11.2017Six inmates slash their wrists in Moscow court
- 17.11.2017Minibus collides with truck in Volga Area, 15 dead
- 01.08.2017Four killed in shooting at Moscow court: lawyer
- 01.08.2017Moscow court shooting: Three 'Grand Theft Auto' gang members killed in bungled bid to escape trial
- 02.08.2017Georgian officials strongly criticize Putin’s forthcoming visit to Abkhazia
- 30.07.2017Russia to continue delivering rocket engines to US — deputy premier
- 29.07.2017Moldova demands Russia to withdraw its troops from Transnistria
- 28.07.2017Russia orders out U.S. diplomats in sanctions retaliation