Jet carrying body of slain Russian ambassador lands at Moscow airport - VIDEO
A chartered flight airlifting the body of Russia's Ambassador to Turkey, Andrei Karlov, who was assassinated in Ankara on Monday, has landed at Vnukovo airport in Moscow, APA reports quoting TASS.
The ambassador's widow arrived by the same flight accompanied by a physician and a psychologist dispatched by the Ministry for Emergency Situations and Civil Defense.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said earlier he would come to the airport personally to meet the flight.
Turkish embassy in Moscow said Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu, now visiting Russia, would also be at the airport to take part in meeting the flight.
An armed man whom the police identified later as a 22-year-old former police officer opened indiscriminate fire on Monday in an arts gallery in Ankara where Ambassador Karlov was opening a photo exhibition. According to Maria Zakharova, the Russian Foreign Ministry's official spokesperson, Karlov received a gunshot wound, of which he died at hospital later.
Turkish officials said the attacker was eliminated on the spot. Apart from the ambassador, he wounded three more people.
Related news releases
- 20.10.2017Sergey Lavrov meets with Council of Europe Secretary General
- 20.10.2017Russia's Putin says oil price above $50/bbl is fair
- 20.10.2017Putin regrets that disrespect shown for Trump in US
- 19.10.2017Putin: Russia ready to move towards universal nuclear disarmament
- 19.10.2017Russian TV host Ksenia Sobchak declares Kremlin bid for 2018
- 18.10.2017Pedro Agramunt receives honorary doctorate from Russian higher school
- 18.10.2017One of main sponsors of separatist regime in Karabakh dies
- 18.10.2017Moscow police detain Armenian taxi driver accused of poisoning almost 100 people to death
- 18.10.2017Russia testing new Silo-Based ballistic missile
- 17.10.2017Lavrov: Agreement on UNSC reform unrealistic in next couple of years
- 16.10.2017Putin signs decree to implement UNSC sanctions on North Korea
- 16.10.2017Lavrov comments on construction of subsea pipeline in Caspian Sea
- 16.10.2017Armenian citizen shot dead in downtown Moscow
- 14.10.2017Russian FSB, police detain İSİL supporters preparing terrorist attacks
- 14.10.2017Russian President: "Fight against terror should be free from double standards"
- 13.10.2017Lavrov urges to give up on escalating tensions around DPRK
- 11.10.2017Putin: Volume of trade between CIS countries has reached $75 billion
- 11.10.2017Lukashenko criticizes CIS Interparliamentary Assembly for low efficiency
- 11.10.201718 documents inked at CIS summit in Sochi
- 11.10.2017Tajikistan takes over CIS presidency
- 11.10.2017Putin stresses need to increase effectiveness of CIS
- 11.10.2017Turkmen president gives Putin Central Asian pooch as gift
- 10.10.2017Several documents signed at CIS Ministerial Council meeting
- 09.10.2017House fire kills five in Russia
- 06.10.201717 killed, 12 others injured as train collides with bus in central Russia - UPDATED
- 06.10.2017Four Russian nationals abroad suspected of false phone bomb threats in Russia
- 05.10.2017Armenian businessman shot dead in Moscow
- 05.10.2017Russian Investigative Committee refuses to open criminal case against historian who exposed Armenian lies
- 05.10.2017Terror threat for CIS countries remains high: Anti-Terrorism Center
- 04.10.2017Saudi King arrives in Moscow for first ever visit
- 04.10.2017CIS foreign ministers to meet in Sochi
- 04.10.2017Severed human legs found next to supermarket in Moscow
- 04.10.2017Conditions for defeating terrorists, returning to peaceful life in Syria created — Lavrov
- 04.10.2017Venezuela's Maduro Travels to Russia For Energy Talks
- 03.10.2017Saakashvili's issue must be resolved through legal means: Ukrainian FM
- 30.09.2017Mammadbagir Aliyev elected to RAS Presidium
- 29.09.2017Shootout at Russian military base leaves 3 dead, 2 wounded
- 29.09.2017Two pilots die in military aircraft crash in Ukraine
- 27.09.2017Ukraine detains suspects behind massive blaze at ammo depot in Vinnytsia
- 27.09.2017Dagestan leader Ramazan Abdulatipov writes resignation letter
- 21.12.2016Russian president puts off annual news conference
- 21.12.2016Iran's Rouhani president arrives in Armenia
- 21.12.2016Ambassador Karlov posthumously awarded Hero of Russia title
- 20.12.2016Turkey, Russia, Iran agree on joint Syria declaration
- 20.12.2016Russia, Turkey, Iran FMs holding meeting in Moscow
- 20.12.2016Lavrov: Organizers of Ankara terrorist act failed to thwart Moscow meeting