Group of Five plan for Syria runs counter to Geneva process — Lavrov
The plan for Syria drawn up by the U.S., France, the UK, Jordan, and Saudi Arabia appeared in a non-transparent manner and runs counter to the Geneva process, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov told reporters on Tuesday, APA reports quoting TASS.
"You mentioned a document drafted by the five nations that gathered in Washington and then in Paris to jot down some ideas on paper," he said. "This is non-transparent activity that runs counter to the Geneva process, because the five randomly chosen countries got together while the key players who are engaged in Syrian peace settlement were not invited there."
"I don’t even mention here the Syrian parties to the conflict," Lavrov said. "No one gave a thought to them. But neither Turkey nor Iran nor Russia, which are the guarantor nations of the Astana process, were invited."
Lavrov voiced the apprehension that non-transparent gatherings of the kind might impede the Geneva process, "[…] since someone may get an illusion such get-togethers offer a faster way to agreements than the inclusion of all the participants without exception."
"We’re moving along the other path," he said. "It’s true that striking an agreement is a more difficult thing in the conditions where sitting at the same table are adversaries, not the like-minded sides that gathered in Paris and Washington."
"Still the agreements they reach are much more stable, durable and reliable than the ones the like-minded nations adopt at selective meetings instead of the Syrian people," Lavrov said.
The five countries drafted an unofficial document on peace settlement in Syria at a meeting in Washington on January 12. They did not publish its text but Al-Mayadin TV channel said quoting its own well-informed sources the document spoke, among other things, about turning Syria into a mixed presidential-parliamentary republic, decentralization, profound reforming, and postwar reorganization under control from the outside.
Related news releases
- 26.05.2018Putin: Turkey has right to choose its military aircraft
- 25.05.2018Plenary meeting held in Petersburg forum with participation of Russian, French and Japan leaders
- 25.05.2018Armenian president visits Georgia
- 25.05.2018Cancellation of US-North Korea summit is ‘testing humanity’s nerve’ — Russian senator
- 25.05.2018Second Syrian National Dialogue Congress planned to be held in Sochi next month
- 25.05.2018Man taking hostages in Moscow apartment detained
- 24.05.2018Man takes three hostages in Moscow - Interior Ministry
- 24.05.2018Russian Defense Ministry general detained
- 24.05.2018Man commits suicide after killing five in Russia
- 24.05.2018Armenia army chief to be dismissed
- 20.05.2018Pentagon says Moscow 'not doing enough' to fight terrorism within borders
- 20.05.2018All militants who attacked church in Grozny identified, says Chechnya’s head
- 18.05.2018Putin approves new cabinet
- 17.05.2018Putin Met With Assad in Sochi - Kremlin Spokesman
- 17.05.2018Putin: Defense Ministry allocates $24 billion for state defense order 2018
- 16.05.2018Protesters storm mayor’s building in Yerevan
- 16.05.2018Russian embassy warns of attempts to embroil other states in Skripal case
- 15.05.2018Start your engines: Putin driving truck, opens newly-built Crimean Bridge
- 15.05.2018Moscow says U.S. putting serious pressure on Iran nuclear deal participants
- 15.05.2018Moscow does not rule out Iran’s pullout from nuclear deal — diplomat
- 15.05.2018State Duma approves criminal liability for aiding West’s anti-Russia sanctions
- 14.05.2018Books on “Armenian genocide” by American and Turkish historians published in Moscow
- 12.05.2018Armenian president appoints new FM
- 10.05.2018Armenia police chief, director of National Security Service dismissed
- 09.05.2018Russia slams US decision to withdraw from Iran deal
- 08.05.2018Armenia’s first deputy defense minister resigns
- 08.05.2018Russian Interior Ministry warns Armenian and Azerbaijani diaspora over upcoming Immortal Regiment march
- 08.05.2018Pashinyan elected Armenia's prime minister
- 07.05.2018Putin asks State Duma to appoint Medvedev Russia’s prime minister
- 07.05.2018Putin takes office for second six-year term as Russia’s president
- 05.05.2018Russian journalist: "Armenia historically is an encumbrance for Russia"
- 05.05.2018Police seize Navalny at Putin protest
- 04.05.2018Terrorist acts plotted in Russia were coordinated from abroad – FSB
- 03.05.2018One person killed, one wounded in attack on HSBC bank in Armenia
- 03.05.2018Azerbaijani woman appointed as Tatarstan’s minister of culture
- 03.05.2018Ukraine suspends participation in CIS coordination councils
- 02.05.2018Armenia’s ruling party to vote for candidate supported by one third of MPs
- 02.05.2018Opposition blocks highways linking Armenia with Georgia, Iran
- 02.05.2018Armenia's parliament to hold fresh vote for PM on May 8
- 02.05.2018Civil resistance in Armenia expands
- 31.01.2018Sergei Lavrov: "Sochi Congress Agrees a Constitutional Committee"
- 01.02.2018Meeting between Russian, Italian FMs kicks off in Moscow
- 01.02.2018Law enforcement officer receives stab wounds in Yerevan
- 30.01.2018US ‘Kremlin List’ means nothing to Russia — PM
- 30.01.2018Putin says he feels 'sad' about not being included in US 'Kremlin report’
- 29.01.2018Search for missing Azerbaijanis in the Japanese Sea suspended