Former head of Russia's Mari El Republic detained over suspected bribe-taking
The Russian Investigative Committee has detained the former head of Russia’s Mari El Republic in the east of Russia's European part, Leonid Markelov, over suspected bribe-taking, the lawyer of another suspect in the case, entrepreneur Nikolai Krivashin, told TASS on Thursday.
Lawyer Igor Trunov said the Investigative Committee suspects Markelov of an attempt to take a bribe worth 250 million rubles ($4.417 million). He said criminal proceedings were instituted on April 12.
The lawyer said three people were targeted in the investigation - "Markelov, who has been detained, as well as bribe-givers - Nikolai Krivashin and the head of local TV channel ‘Region12’, Maria Kozhevnikova".
"Searches are under way in Moscow in the apartment of Markelov’s daughter and in the house of his wife. Also, searches are conducted in Mari El," the lawyer said.
Trunov said Krivashin has not been detained as of yet, as he is currently staying abroad. Criminal proceedings have been instituted under three articles of the Russian Criminal Code - ‘Bribe-taking on an especially large scale’, ‘Bribe-giving on an especially large scale’ and ‘Mediation in bribery’.
The lawyer believes Markelov will be shortly brought to Moscow for investigation and a measure of restraint will be chosen.
On April 6, Russian President Vladimir Putin signed a decree to relive of his duties as head of the Mari El Republic Leonid Markelov following his request.
The chairman of the Moscow region’s arbitrary court and president’s former deputy envoy to the Volga Federal District, Alexander Yevstifeyev, was appointed as acting head of the republic.
On April 7, a source in the republic’s government said Markelov would like to continue work at the Federation Council upper house of parliament.
Markelov was first elected head of the republic in January 2001, while in 2004 he was reelected with the support of United Russia party. In 2009, the parliament of Mari El approved him for a third term. On January 14, 2015, he was appointed acting head of the region. On September 13, 2015, he was reelected head of Mari El after the first round of the gubernatorial election.
Related news releases
- 17.01.2018Putin is in good shape, Kremlin says
- 17.01.2018Businessman, son killed in Russia’s Orenburg
- 16.01.2018Armenia army general staff deputy chief’s son dies in car crash
- 16.01.2018Yerevan minibus drivers go on strike
- 16.01.2018Russia will not support U.S. bid to change Iran nuclear deal: Lavrov
- 15.01.2018Date set for presidential election in Armenia
- 13.01.201846 hospitalized in Russia after contracting salmonella
- 12.01.2018Russian military eliminates militants who shelled Hmeymim airbase on Dec. 31
- 11.01.2018Putin says Russia ready to return to Ukraine dozens of naval ships, warplanes
- 11.01.2018General Staff reveals details of drones that attacked Russian bases in Syria
- 09.01.2018Passenger bus overturns in Russia’s Stavropol region injuring four
- 08.01.2018Details emerge of Chechen rebel commander Khattab’s death
- 04.01.2018Hrymchak claims gas pipeline from Ukraine to Europe planned to be blown up in 2014-2015
- 03.01.2018Russian military helicopter crashes in Syria, killing two
- 31.12.20172 injured as unknown man opened fire near Red Square in Moscow
- 30.12.2017Suspect in St Petersburg blast has psychiatric record - source
- 30.12.2017St Petersburg supermarket blast suspect detained - FSB
- 30.12.2017Russia, Uzbekistan sign nuclear energy deal
- 29.12.2017Three injured after bus plows into public transport stop in Moscow - UPDATED
- 28.12.2017Moscow: Erdogan's claims that Assad is a 'terrorist' have no legal basis
- 28.12.2017Mass carbon monoxide poisoning reported among schoolchildren in Kyrgyzstan
- 28.12.2017Putin announces number of military servicemen involved in Syria op
- 28.12.2017Ukraine and pro-Russian rebels swap prisoners before New Year
- 27.12.2017Kiev, pro-Russian separatists exchange hostages
- 27.12.2017Blast injures ten in St Petersburg shop, 50 evacuated
- 27.12.2017Russia’s election commission accepts Putin’s documents for nomination
- 27.12.2017Gunman kills one in Moscow factory building, takes several hostages
- 27.12.2017Zenit-2SB rocket carrying Angolan satellite blasts off from Baikonur — Roscosmos
- 26.12.2017Belarusian leader hails Russia’s role in anti-terrorist efforts in Syria
- 26.12.2017President of Azerbaijan: "Russia is a stabilization factor on a global scale"
- 26.12.2017Informal meeting of CIS leaders starts - UPDATED
- 25.12.2017Russian officials bar Navalny from running for president
- 25.12.2017Five killed in Moscow as bus drives into pedestrian underpass
- 24.12.2017Russia’s State Duma can take tit-for-tat measures if RT’s license in France is revoked
- 23.12.2017Putin says Russia is not "adorable grandma"
- 23.12.2017Russia ready to work with all countries on basis of trust - Putin
- 23.12.2017Everything preventing Russia’s renovation should be left out – Putin
- 22.12.2017Johnson and Lavrov clash in Moscow talks
- 22.12.2017Russian CEC approves Zhirinovsky’s presidential candidacy
- 21.12.2017Turkey, Russia to sign deal on S-400 in coming days
- 13.04.2017Belarus pays off $726 mln gas debt to Russia's Gazprom
- 13.04.2017Russian and Turkish presidents hold phone conversation
- 14.04.2017St.Peterburg teenager seriously injured as bomb goes off in his hands
- 12.04.2017Russia’s top diplomat demands probe into Syrian chemical attack
- 12.04.2017Putin says trust erodes under Trump, Moscow icily receives Tillerson
- 12.04.2017Russian, Iranian and Syrian foreign ministers to meet in Moscow