Former head of Russia's Mari El Republic detained over suspected bribe-taking
The Russian Investigative Committee has detained the former head of Russia’s Mari El Republic in the east of Russia's European part, Leonid Markelov, over suspected bribe-taking, the lawyer of another suspect in the case, entrepreneur Nikolai Krivashin, told TASS on Thursday.
Lawyer Igor Trunov said the Investigative Committee suspects Markelov of an attempt to take a bribe worth 250 million rubles ($4.417 million). He said criminal proceedings were instituted on April 12.
The lawyer said three people were targeted in the investigation - "Markelov, who has been detained, as well as bribe-givers - Nikolai Krivashin and the head of local TV channel ‘Region12’, Maria Kozhevnikova".
"Searches are under way in Moscow in the apartment of Markelov’s daughter and in the house of his wife. Also, searches are conducted in Mari El," the lawyer said.
Trunov said Krivashin has not been detained as of yet, as he is currently staying abroad. Criminal proceedings have been instituted under three articles of the Russian Criminal Code - ‘Bribe-taking on an especially large scale’, ‘Bribe-giving on an especially large scale’ and ‘Mediation in bribery’.
The lawyer believes Markelov will be shortly brought to Moscow for investigation and a measure of restraint will be chosen.
On April 6, Russian President Vladimir Putin signed a decree to relive of his duties as head of the Mari El Republic Leonid Markelov following his request.
The chairman of the Moscow region’s arbitrary court and president’s former deputy envoy to the Volga Federal District, Alexander Yevstifeyev, was appointed as acting head of the republic.
On April 7, a source in the republic’s government said Markelov would like to continue work at the Federation Council upper house of parliament.
Markelov was first elected head of the republic in January 2001, while in 2004 he was reelected with the support of United Russia party. In 2009, the parliament of Mari El approved him for a third term. On January 14, 2015, he was appointed acting head of the region. On September 13, 2015, he was reelected head of Mari El after the first round of the gubernatorial election.
Related news releases
- 09.08.2017Russian Defense Ministry renovating major facilities for FIFA World Cup
- 08.08.2017Russia's Putin visits breakaway Georgian region of Abkhazia: Kremlin
- 06.08.2017Russia’s ex-envoy to US says his talks with Flynn were about Russian-US cooperation
- 05.08.2017Russian minister says U.S. exit from Paris pact "terrible mistake"
- 05.08.2017Russia says reserves right to retaliate over new EU sanctions
- 04.08.2017Russian deputy minister blacklisted in new EU sanctions over Siemens turbines to Crimea
- 03.08.2017Kremlin: Moldova Gov't Declaring Rogozin Persona Non-Grata Unacceptable
- 02.08.2017Russian PM Medvedev on new sanctions: 'US declares full-fledged trade war'
- 02.08.2017Moldovan gov't declares Russian Deputy Prime Minister Rogozin Persona Non-Grata
- 02.08.2017Georgian officials strongly criticize Putin’s forthcoming visit to Abkhazia
- 01.08.2017Moscow court shooting: Three 'Grand Theft Auto' gang members killed in bungled bid to escape trial
- 01.08.2017Four killed in shooting at Moscow court: lawyer
- 01.08.2017Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan continue talks on border settlement - Kyrgyz Government
- 30.07.2017Russia to continue delivering rocket engines to US — deputy premier
- 29.07.2017Moldova demands Russia to withdraw its troops from Transnistria
- 28.07.2017Russia orders out U.S. diplomats in sanctions retaliation
- 28.07.2017Russia suspends US embassy use of diplomatic properties in Moscow
- 28.07.20177 suspected terrorists detained in St. Petersburg
- 28.07.2017Uzbek prosecutors charge ex-leader's daughter of 6 criminal offenses
- 27.07.2017Putin: We'll have to retaliate against 'illegal' U.S. sanctions
- 27.07.2017Russia's response to U.S. sanctions to hinge on final bill text: Putin
- 26.07.2017Ukraine deports Russian journalist
- 26.07.2017Russia calls US source of danger
- 25.07.2017Man planning to fly to Syria to join ISIL via Baku detained in Russia
- 25.07.2017Applicants for higher education decreasing in numbers in Armenia
- 25.07.2017Trump slams AG Sessions' 'weak' position on Clinton emails
- 22.07.2017Lavrov says US continues support to some opposition groups in Syria
- 20.07.2017Kremlin says not considering Lapshin’s extradition to Russia
- 18.07.2017Russia reiterates its restrained stance on North Korean issue settlement
- 18.07.2017Fire in Mosow high-rise extinguished - UPDATED
- 17.07.2017Sargsyan: Russia’s sale of arms to Azerbaijan is most painful aspect of Armenia-Russia relations
- 16.07.2017Suspects in attack on Russian tourists in Abkhazia identified - security service
- 14.07.2017Russia's Putin hopes dialogue with Trump will continue
- 14.07.2017Lawmaker Zhirinovsky: United Russian-Armenian military group should be under Russian command
- 14.07.2017Russian Duma ratifies agreement to keep 49-year presence at Syrian naval and air base
- 14.07.2017Russia ratifies agreement on joint group of forces with Armenia
- 14.07.2017Moscow threatens to reduce number of American diplomats at US embassy
- 14.07.2017The State Duma will consider ratification of the agreement with Armenia
- 13.07.2017Sergei Lavrov: "Russia does not support Assad"
- 13.07.2017Boris Nemtsov killer sentenced to 20 years in prison
- 13.04.2017Belarus pays off $726 mln gas debt to Russia's Gazprom
- 13.04.2017Russian and Turkish presidents hold phone conversation
- 14.04.2017St.Peterburg teenager seriously injured as bomb goes off in his hands
- 12.04.2017Russia’s top diplomat demands probe into Syrian chemical attack
- 12.04.2017Putin says trust erodes under Trump, Moscow icily receives Tillerson
- 12.04.2017Russian, Iranian and Syrian foreign ministers to meet in Moscow