Ex-Georgian leader banned entry to Ukraine till 2021
According to Interfax-Ukraine news agency Wednesday, Saakashvili’s lawyer Ruslan Chernolutsky said the Ukrainian State Border Guard Service issued the ban.
Chernolutsky claimed that the decision of the border service was illegal saying he intended to appeal against it.
Last week, Saakashvili was detained at a restaurant in Kiev and deported to Poland, according to Ukrainian border service spokesman Oleg Slobodyan.
A local report said he was given permission to stay in the Netherlands on basis of family reunion as Saakashvili is married to a Dutch woman.
After serving as president of Georgia for 10 years, Saakashvili was appointed as the governor of Ukraine's southern Odessa region by Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko in 2015 but he resigned the following year.
He then became an outspoken critic of the Ukrainian president and accused him of corruption.
Saakashvili was stripped of his Ukrainian citizenship while in the U.S. in mid-2017, rendering him stateless.
However, in September he crossed into Ukraine from Poland with the help of his supporters.
His Georgian citizenship had already been revoked after getting a Ukrainian passport in 2015.
In 2014, former Georgian Prime Minister Vano Merabishvili was also sentenced to three years for abusing his powers.
Related news releases
- 24.04.2018Russia says no decision yet on delivery of S-300 missiles to Syria
- 23.04.2018Armenian PM Serzh Sargsyan resigns - UPDATED
- 23.04.2018Kremlin calls events in Armenia domestic affair, says Russia won’t meddle
- 23.04.2018Armenia’s delegation to PACE returns to Yerevan
- 23.04.2018Nikol Pashinyan released from detention center
- 22.04.2018Militants hand 30 armored vehicles to Russian military in Syria
- 22.04.2018Armenian President meets Serzh Sargsyan after talk with opposition leader
- 21.04.2018Nine gunmen plotting terror attack on May Day shot dead in Dagestan
- 21.04.2018Storm in Moscow leaves 2 dead, 12 people injured - UPDATED
- 21.04.2018Russian media company correspondent killed in Syria
- 20.04.2018Pashinyan: Situation is not under Serzh Sargsyan’s control
- 20.04.2018Democratic Party sues Russia, Trump campaign for allegedly disrupting 2016 election
- 20.04.2018Armenian police detain 183 opposition activists - UPDATED
- 20.04.2018Putin, Trump will not allow armed confrontation between Russia, US – Lavrov
- 19.04.2018Nikol Pashinyan: "We resume action of total blocking of Yerevan streets"
- 19.04.2018Russia and US may be left without direct flights due to Aeroflot’s visa difficulties
- 19.04.2018Militants who attacked UN Mission in Douma were warned in advance
- 19.04.2018Journalist gets beaten during mass protest in Armenia
- 18.04.2018Opposition march toward Republic Square
- 17.04.2018The Armenian opposition announced the creation of a committee of "velvet revolution"
- 17.04.2018Serzh Sargsyan elected Armenia’s PM
- 17.04.2018FSB exposes IS cell plotting terrorist attacks in Russia
- 16.04.2018Armenian opposition leader urges to block parliament building
- 16.04.201822 injured after demonstrators clash with police in Yerevan
- 16.04.2018Armenia’s Republican Party formally nominates Sargsyan’s candidacy as next PM
- 16.04.2018Armenians protest Sargsyan's appointment as PM
- 15.04.2018Kazakhstan warns of further military de-escalation in Syria
- 14.04.2018Opposition-led protesters break into building of Armenian public radio
- 14.04.2018Serzh Sargsyan nominated for Armenia’s PM
- 14.04.2018Syrian downs 71 out of 103 US coalition cruise missiles: Russian military
- 14.04.2018Putin: Operation launched by US and allies is aggression against sovereign state
- 14.04.2018Russian Defence Ministry: Over 100 missiles fired at Syria
- 14.04.2018Russian Foreign Ministry: "You shelled Syria's capital at the moment when it had gained a chance of a peaceful future"
- 13.04.2018Three wounded in landmine explosion in Armenia
- 13.04.2018Russia calls for emergency UN Security Council meeting
- 12.04.2018Russia asks US to solve problems at 'negotiating table'
- 12.04.2018Russia resumes flights to Egypt
- 11.04.2018Putin expects common sense to prevail amid global tensions
- 11.04.2018Putin's inauguration scheduled for 7 May
- 11.04.2018Moscow to Trump: Are ‘smart’ missiles an attempt to destroy alleged chem attack evidence in Syria?
- 14.12.2015Russia says Kerry, Lavrov agree on preconditions for next international Syria meeting
- 15.12.2015Russia does not supply Free Syrian Army with weapons -Kremlin aide
- 15.12.2015Kerry arrives in Moscow to explore Syria peace process in Kremlin talks
- 14.12.2015NATO's anti-Russia policy, anti-missile shield threaten balance - Moscow
- 13.12.2015At least 9 dead in neurological hospital fire in central Russia
- 12.12.2015Moldova calls Russian sanctions 'counterproductive'