EU, Ukraine sign visa liberalization agreement
The EU and Ukraine signed a visa liberalization agreement on Wednesday, allowing Ukrainian citizens visa-free travel to the bloc for short stays, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
"Today is a historical day for Ukraine, for my 45-million nation. And I am absolutely confident that this is a historical day for the EU," Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko said at a joint news conference with the president of the EU Parliament, Antonio Tajani after the signing ceremony in Strasbourg.
"Ukraine returns to the European family. Ukraine says final farewell to the Soviet and Russian empire," Poroshenko added.
Tajani, for his part, said the signing of the legislative act was a "good message for Ukraine".
“After this positive decision, the relations between Ukraine and the European Union will be easier," he said.
Under the scheme, which will enter into force in June, Ukrainians who hold a biometric passport will be able to enter the EU without a visa for 90 days in any 180-day period, for tourism, to visit relatives or friends, or for business purposes, but not to work.
The visa exemption applies to all EU countries, except the U.K. and Ireland.
The EU Parliament approved the visa waiver a month ago, and the EU Council approved it last Thursday.
Three months ago, European lawmakers passed a similar legislation for Georgia. Both former Soviet states had long urged the EU to grant their citizens visa-free travel to help deepen ties with the West.
Related news releases
- 29.05.2017Storm in Moscow storm kills six people in Moscow
- 27.05.2017Azerbaijani and Russian presidents expected to meet in June
- 27.05.2017Russian MP: "Estonia expels Russian diplomats in bid to get US support"
- 26.05.2017Moscow court orders arrest of four suspects of plotting terrorist attack
- 26.05.2017Azerbaijan’s Defense Minister takes part in session of Council of CIS Defense Ministers
- 26.05.2017Russia conducts anti-terror exercises in Caspian Sea
- 26.05.2017Moldova's Chisinau Mayor Detained as Part of Corruption Probe
- 26.05.2017Moscow says date of de Mistura's visit to Russia yet to be set
- 25.05.2017Ukraine plans to stop railway communication with Russia
- 25.05.2017Over 500 people lost their homes in wildfires in Russia
- 24.05.2017CIS defense ministers to meet in Moscow
- 24.05.2017Maria Zakharova: "Mechanism of alerting on cyber attacks practically never used by US"
- 22.05.2017Putin to meet with Macron in Paris on May 29
- 22.05.2017Russia, Turkey sign joint statement on mutual lifting of trade restrictions
- 22.05.2017Turkmenistan: Report claims deputy PM committed suicide
- 19.05.2017Jail term extended for “ex-defense minister” of Karabakh separatist regime
- 19.05.2017OSCE chief says current challenges to European security require cooperation
- 15.05.2017Russian MFA employee shoots wife, daughter to death, then commits suicide
- 12.05.2017Russia to welcome any US contribution to setting up de-escalation zones in Syria — Lavrov
- 11.05.2017EU Council of Ministers decides on visa-free regime for Ukraine
- 10.05.2017Putin, Abbas to meet in Sochi to discuss Mideast settlement
- 09.05.2017Ambassador says Russia military base in Armenia could be expanded
- 09.05.2017Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov to start visit to US on Tuesday
- 06.05.2017Russia says Syria de-escalation deal to take effect at midnight: agencies
- 05.05.2017Russian, German top diplomats agree to continue Normandy-format efforts
- 03.05.2017Russia hopes for steady development of relations with Turkey — Putin
- 03.05.2017First deputy chief of Armenian General Staff dismissed
- 03.05.2017Putin and Trump stress importance of anti-terrorism cooperation
- 02.05.2017Russian Military Adviser Killed In Syria - Russian MoD
- 02.05.2017Kremlin reveals what Putin and Trump discussed over the phone - UPDATED
- 02.05.2017Survey: Majority of Russians desire Putin’s re-election as President
- 01.05.2017Russian FM Lavrov, US State Secretary Tillerson agree on date of next meeting
- 29.04.2017Russian foreign ministry: US anti-missile systems in Eastern Europe violate INF Treaty
- 29.04.2017Charges filed against rectors of three private universities in Armenia
- 29.04.2017Over 20 feared buried after landslide hits southern Kyrgyzstan
- 28.04.2017Merkel to discuss Ukrainian crisis, Syria with Putin
- 28.04.2017Russian prosecutors confirm bid urging Interpol to put Ukraine’s ex-PM on wanted list
- 28.04.2017Russia's PM Medvedev thanks Turkish premier for help in evacuating crew of wrecked ship
- 27.04.201713 people indicted for theft from EU Armenia delegation grant funds - UPDATED
- 26.04.2017Russia says U.S. missile strike on Syria was a threat to its forces
- 18.05.2017Putin offers transcript to prove Trump did not pass Russia secrets
- 18.05.2017Armenian president accepts government’s resignation
- 18.05.2017Ara Babloyan from ruling RPA elected Armenian parliament speaker
- 17.05.2017One more Armenian soldier killed
- 17.05.2017Putin: Russia ready to provide US Congress with transcript of Trump-Lavrov talks
- 17.05.2017UN: Economic growth in CIS to make up 1.4% this year, 2% in 2018