Uzbek prosecutors charge ex-leader's daughter of 6 criminal offenses
Uzbekistan's authorities have charged the late president's elder daughter Gulnara Karimova of links to criminal enterprises, ordering her to be remanded in custody, the Uzbek prosecutor's office said Friday, according to Sputnik International.
"Karimova Gulnara is charged under articles 168 [fraud], 178 [concealment of foreign currency], 182 [violation of customs legislation], 189 [violation of trade regulations or of providing services], 228 [production, forgery of documents] and 243 [legalization of revenue from criminal activities] of the Criminal Code of the Republic of Uzbekistan," the office said.
The anti-organized crime and corruption department of the prosecutor's office said it has remanded Karimova, Islam Karimov's daughter, in custody.
Uzbekistan has uncovered the assets of a criminal group allegedly assisted by Gulnara Karimova in 12 countries including Russia, the Uzbek prosecutor's office said Friday.
Karimova has been remanded in custody on charges under six articles of the Central Asian country's criminal code, including fraud and money laundering.
"According to the investigation materials, the assets of an organized criminal group totaling $1.394 billion, 63.5 million euros, 27.1 million pounds and 18.5 million francs were preliminarily found in the territory of 12 foreign countries," the office said.
In Russia, the anti-organized crime and corruption department of the prosecutor's office detected $6 million worth of assets, a penthouse, a villa and eight apartments in Moscow, in addition to other land and property, the office said.
Uzbekistan has sent a number of countries an order to seize the assets of the suspected criminal group.
Related news releases
- 18.03.2018Voting begins in Russian 2018 presidential election
- 17.03.2018Russia, Iran, Turkey to assist UN to draft constitutional reform in Syria - Lavrov
- 14.03.2018Moscow not connected to ex-spy’s poisoning: Kremlin
- 14.03.2018Moscow welcomes Turkey’s request for prompt S-400 delivery, Lavrov says
- 14.03.2018Turkish, Russian presidents to meet in Ankara on April 3 – FM
- 14.03.2018Syria, S-400 to be in focus at talks of Russian, Turkish foreign ministers
- 10.03.2018Putin on U.S. election interference: ‘I couldn’t care less’
- 07.03.2018Russia’s Mi-8 helicopter crashes in Chechnya
- 05.03.2018Russia has evidence West trying to save Nusra front for regime change - Lavrov
- 05.03.2018Putin’s adviser: Russia ready to disconnect from global Internet
- 03.03.2018Kremlin rejects U.S. charge Russia in breach of arms control treaties
- 02.03.2018Armen Sarkissian elected 4th President of Armenia
- 01.03.2018Putin: ‘No one listened to us then, so listen to us now’ - REPORTAGE
- 01.03.2018Putin announces Russia possesses hypersonic weapons
- 28.02.2018Shooting kills at least two, injures two in Kazan, Russia
- 26.02.2018Car carrying Armenian PM’s bodyguards crashes in Yerevan
- 24.02.20183 Georgians kidnapped in South Ossetia
- 22.02.2018Russian President met with the heads and deputy defense ministers of several countries
- 22.02.2018Ex-Georgian leader banned entry to Ukraine till 2021
- 20.02.2018Ukrainian president signs Donbass reintegration law
- 20.02.2018Dozens of Russian, CIS citizens killed & injured in recent clashes in Syria – Foreign Ministry
- 20.02.2018Russia summons Ukraine's representative over attack on building in Kiev
- 16.02.2018Russian toll in Syria battle was 300 killed and wounded: sources
- 16.02.2018Truck with 2,500 loaves of bread hijacked in Russia
- 15.02.2018New US sanctions pose no serious threat to Russian economy, russians - Medvedev
- 15.02.2018Reports of scores of Russians killed in Syria are disinformation by anti-govt forces - Moscow
- 14.02.2018Presidents of Russia and Ukraine hold a telephone conversation
- 13.02.2018Lavrov says ‘aggressive minority’ in West impedes establishment of relations with Russia
- 09.02.2018Former governor of Sakhalin region Khoroshavin sentenced to 13 years in jail for bribery
- 07.02.2018Russia favors making UN Security Council more efficient
- 06.02.2018Russian, Kazakh FMs discuss preparations for Caspian Summit
- 06.02.2018Russian Central Election Commission registers Putin as presidential candidate
- 04.02.2018Russian Defense Ministry Releases Video of Su-25 Downing Over Syria - VİDEO
- 04.02.2018Russian weapons deliver strikes on area from which Su-25 was shot down , 30 militants killed
- 03.02.2018Russia’s Foreign Ministry notes anti-Russian focus of US nuclear doctrine
- 02.02.2018Russian CEC chairwoman disapproves of Kremlin spokesman’s statement
- 02.02.2018Armenia: 10-year-old girl kidnapped for debts
- 02.02.2018Russia says U.S. 'hunting' for Russians to arrest around the world
- 01.02.2018UN envoy for Syria highlights role of Sochi congress for Geneva process, says Lavrov
- 01.02.2018Law enforcement officer receives stab wounds in Yerevan
- 28.07.20177 suspected terrorists detained in St. Petersburg
- 28.07.2017Russia suspends US embassy use of diplomatic properties in Moscow
- 28.07.2017Russia orders out U.S. diplomats in sanctions retaliation
- 27.07.2017Putin: We'll have to retaliate against 'illegal' U.S. sanctions
- 27.07.2017Russia's response to U.S. sanctions to hinge on final bill text: Putin
- 26.07.2017Ukraine deports Russian journalist