Uzbek prosecutors charge ex-leader's daughter of 6 criminal offenses
Uzbekistan's authorities have charged the late president's elder daughter Gulnara Karimova of links to criminal enterprises, ordering her to be remanded in custody, the Uzbek prosecutor's office said Friday, according to Sputnik International.
"Karimova Gulnara is charged under articles 168 [fraud], 178 [concealment of foreign currency], 182 [violation of customs legislation], 189 [violation of trade regulations or of providing services], 228 [production, forgery of documents] and 243 [legalization of revenue from criminal activities] of the Criminal Code of the Republic of Uzbekistan," the office said.
The anti-organized crime and corruption department of the prosecutor's office said it has remanded Karimova, Islam Karimov's daughter, in custody.
Uzbekistan has uncovered the assets of a criminal group allegedly assisted by Gulnara Karimova in 12 countries including Russia, the Uzbek prosecutor's office said Friday.
Karimova has been remanded in custody on charges under six articles of the Central Asian country's criminal code, including fraud and money laundering.
"According to the investigation materials, the assets of an organized criminal group totaling $1.394 billion, 63.5 million euros, 27.1 million pounds and 18.5 million francs were preliminarily found in the territory of 12 foreign countries," the office said.
In Russia, the anti-organized crime and corruption department of the prosecutor's office detected $6 million worth of assets, a penthouse, a villa and eight apartments in Moscow, in addition to other land and property, the office said.
Uzbekistan has sent a number of countries an order to seize the assets of the suspected criminal group.
Related news releases
- 09.08.2017Russian Defense Ministry renovating major facilities for FIFA World Cup
- 08.08.2017Russia's Putin visits breakaway Georgian region of Abkhazia: Kremlin
- 06.08.2017Russia’s ex-envoy to US says his talks with Flynn were about Russian-US cooperation
- 05.08.2017Russian minister says U.S. exit from Paris pact "terrible mistake"
- 05.08.2017Russia says reserves right to retaliate over new EU sanctions
- 04.08.2017Russian deputy minister blacklisted in new EU sanctions over Siemens turbines to Crimea
- 03.08.2017Kremlin: Moldova Gov't Declaring Rogozin Persona Non-Grata Unacceptable
- 02.08.2017Russian PM Medvedev on new sanctions: 'US declares full-fledged trade war'
- 02.08.2017Moldovan gov't declares Russian Deputy Prime Minister Rogozin Persona Non-Grata
- 02.08.2017Georgian officials strongly criticize Putin’s forthcoming visit to Abkhazia
- 01.08.2017Moscow court shooting: Three 'Grand Theft Auto' gang members killed in bungled bid to escape trial
- 01.08.2017Four killed in shooting at Moscow court: lawyer
- 01.08.2017Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan continue talks on border settlement - Kyrgyz Government
- 30.07.2017Russia to continue delivering rocket engines to US — deputy premier
- 29.07.2017Moldova demands Russia to withdraw its troops from Transnistria
- 26.07.2017Russia calls US source of danger
- 25.07.2017Man planning to fly to Syria to join ISIL via Baku detained in Russia
- 25.07.2017Applicants for higher education decreasing in numbers in Armenia
- 25.07.2017Trump slams AG Sessions' 'weak' position on Clinton emails
- 22.07.2017Lavrov says US continues support to some opposition groups in Syria
- 20.07.2017Kremlin says not considering Lapshin’s extradition to Russia
- 18.07.2017Russia reiterates its restrained stance on North Korean issue settlement
- 18.07.2017Fire in Mosow high-rise extinguished - UPDATED
- 17.07.2017Sargsyan: Russia’s sale of arms to Azerbaijan is most painful aspect of Armenia-Russia relations
- 16.07.2017Suspects in attack on Russian tourists in Abkhazia identified - security service
- 14.07.2017Russia's Putin hopes dialogue with Trump will continue
- 14.07.2017Lawmaker Zhirinovsky: United Russian-Armenian military group should be under Russian command
- 14.07.2017Russian Duma ratifies agreement to keep 49-year presence at Syrian naval and air base
- 14.07.2017Russia ratifies agreement on joint group of forces with Armenia
- 14.07.2017Moscow threatens to reduce number of American diplomats at US embassy
- 14.07.2017The State Duma will consider ratification of the agreement with Armenia
- 13.07.2017Sergei Lavrov: "Russia does not support Assad"
- 13.07.2017Boris Nemtsov killer sentenced to 20 years in prison
- 12.07.2017Russian defense adviser killed in militant attack in Hama, Syria
- 08.07.2017Putin: US position on Syria became more pragmatic
- 05.07.2017Astana, Washington sign 5-year defense cooperation plan
- 05.07.2017Anatoly Serdyukov to head Rostvertol’s board of directors
- 04.07.2017Chinese president says ties with Putin stronger than with any other leader
- 02.07.201710 people killed, 12 injured in bus, truck crash in Russia's Tatarstan
- 01.07.2017Putin has phone talks with Qatar, Bahrain on Gulf row
- 28.07.20177 suspected terrorists detained in St. Petersburg
- 28.07.2017Russia suspends US embassy use of diplomatic properties in Moscow
- 28.07.2017Russia orders out U.S. diplomats in sanctions retaliation
- 27.07.2017Putin: We'll have to retaliate against 'illegal' U.S. sanctions
- 27.07.2017Russia's response to U.S. sanctions to hinge on final bill text: Putin
- 26.07.2017Ukraine deports Russian journalist