Uzbek prosecutors charge ex-leader's daughter of 6 criminal offenses
Uzbekistan's authorities have charged the late president's elder daughter Gulnara Karimova of links to criminal enterprises, ordering her to be remanded in custody, the Uzbek prosecutor's office said Friday, according to Sputnik International.
"Karimova Gulnara is charged under articles 168 [fraud], 178 [concealment of foreign currency], 182 [violation of customs legislation], 189 [violation of trade regulations or of providing services], 228 [production, forgery of documents] and 243 [legalization of revenue from criminal activities] of the Criminal Code of the Republic of Uzbekistan," the office said.
The anti-organized crime and corruption department of the prosecutor's office said it has remanded Karimova, Islam Karimov's daughter, in custody.
Uzbekistan has uncovered the assets of a criminal group allegedly assisted by Gulnara Karimova in 12 countries including Russia, the Uzbek prosecutor's office said Friday.
Karimova has been remanded in custody on charges under six articles of the Central Asian country's criminal code, including fraud and money laundering.
"According to the investigation materials, the assets of an organized criminal group totaling $1.394 billion, 63.5 million euros, 27.1 million pounds and 18.5 million francs were preliminarily found in the territory of 12 foreign countries," the office said.
In Russia, the anti-organized crime and corruption department of the prosecutor's office detected $6 million worth of assets, a penthouse, a villa and eight apartments in Moscow, in addition to other land and property, the office said.
Uzbekistan has sent a number of countries an order to seize the assets of the suspected criminal group.
Related news releases
- 15.12.2017Russian presidential election set for March 18
- 15.12.2017Russia to double ballistic missile tests in 2018
- 15.12.2017Putin, Trump discuss Russia-US relations, North Korea in phone call
- 15.12.2017Russia unlikely to apply for participation in PACE’s work in 2018 — Russian MP
- 15.12.2017Moscow denies Russian jets intercepted by US F-22s in Syria
- 14.12.2017Russia, U.S. could cooperate on Afghanistan – Putin
- 14.12.2017Putin on Saakashvili's actions: This is 'a spit in the face of Ukrainian, Georgian people'
- 14.12.2017Trump faces restrictions in implementing intention to improve ties with Russia – Putin
- 14.12.2017Putin says Washington has in fact quit INF treaty
- 13.12.2017Erdogan's position on Jerusalem does not coincide with Russia's - Peskov
- 12.12.2017Price of AI-92 gasoline reduced in Kazakhstan
- 12.12.2017Soldier wounded in landmine explosion at Armenian border
- 12.12.2017Russian military chief criticizes U.S., Japan and South Korea drills
- 11.12.2017Kyiv court turns down prosecutor's motion to place Saakashvili under house arrest - UPDATED
- 09.12.2017Ex-President of Georgia goes on hunger strike in Ukrainian Jail
- 09.12.2017Mikheil Saakashvili detained in Kyiv
- 08.12.2017Russian FM: Trump’s Jerusalem decision contradicts all agreements
- 06.12.2017Russia claims Daesh completely destroyed in Syria
- 06.12.2017Putin says to seek new presidential term in 2018
- 06.12.2017Russian lower house slaps ban on US ‘foreign agent’ mass media from visiting State Duma
- 05.12.201741% of Russians want Lenin’s body to be buried
- 05.12.2017Russia's Investigative Committee appeals to General Prosecutor's Office for putting Telman Ismailov on Interpol’s wanted list
- 02.12.2017Sergey Lavrov: "We have no doubts and suspicions towards Azerbaijan"
- 02.12.2017Russia’s Foreign Ministry confirms Lavrov, Tillerson plan to meet in Vienna
- 01.12.2017Russia strengthened air defense in the North Caucasus
- 27.11.2017Iranian foreign minister to visit Armenia
- 26.11.2017Russia’s ex-finance minister regrets adoption of foreign agent media law
- 25.11.2017Tiger shot dead in Paris after escaping from circus
- 25.11.2017Fire in Batumi hotel kills eleven - UPDATED
- 25.11.2017Ukraine rebel region's security minister says he is new leader
- 23.11.2017Russia to cut task force in Syria — General Staff
- 23.11.20172 killed, 6 injured in shootout in Dagestan, closer to the border with Azerbaijan
- 22.11.2017Turkey, Russia, Iran vow to back Syria's sovereignty
- 22.11.2017Putin, Erdogan and Rouhani agree on holding Syrian national dialogue congress in Sochi
- 22.11.2017Turkish, Russian, Iranian presidents meet in Sochi
- 22.11.2017Russian baritone Hvorostovsky dies at 55
- 21.11.2017Putin and Assad meet in Sochi
- 18.11.2017Five injured in passenger bus-truck collision in Russia
- 17.11.2017Six inmates slash their wrists in Moscow court
- 17.11.2017Minibus collides with truck in Volga Area, 15 dead
- 28.07.20177 suspected terrorists detained in St. Petersburg
- 28.07.2017Russia suspends US embassy use of diplomatic properties in Moscow
- 28.07.2017Russia orders out U.S. diplomats in sanctions retaliation
- 27.07.2017Putin: We'll have to retaliate against 'illegal' U.S. sanctions
- 27.07.2017Russia's response to U.S. sanctions to hinge on final bill text: Putin
- 26.07.2017Ukraine deports Russian journalist