Civil resistance in Armenia expands
Civil resistance campaigns have begun in Armenia by Nikol Pashinyan's call.
Mass protests began in the country this morning, APA reports citing NTV (Russia).
The activists blocked access to some ministries and state offices, including the Ministry of Science and Education, the Diaspora Ministry, as well as many streets and avenues.
Protesters in Gyumri and Maralik have entered the local town hall. Levon Barseghyan, a local opposition activist in Gyumri, said that Mayor of Yerevan, Samvel Balasanyan, should join the opposition. He noted the opposition was controlling all public buildings in the city.
The same situation has occurred in Maralik. Demonstrators called on the mayor to resign from the ranks of the ruling party and join the people.
Leader of the protestors, Nikol Pashinyan, told Reuters that mass protests will continue.
"We will not surrender. Disobedience and strikes will continue," he said.
Pashinyan said he would think about re-nominating himself as prime minister.
Related news releases
- 20.05.2018Pentagon says Moscow 'not doing enough' to fight terrorism within borders
- 20.05.2018All militants who attacked church in Grozny identified, says Chechnya’s head
- 18.05.2018Putin approves new cabinet
- 17.05.2018Putin Met With Assad in Sochi - Kremlin Spokesman
- 17.05.2018Putin: Defense Ministry allocates $24 billion for state defense order 2018
- 16.05.2018Protesters storm mayor’s building in Yerevan
- 16.05.2018Russian embassy warns of attempts to embroil other states in Skripal case
- 15.05.2018Start your engines: Putin driving truck, opens newly-built Crimean Bridge
- 15.05.2018Moscow says U.S. putting serious pressure on Iran nuclear deal participants
- 15.05.2018Moscow does not rule out Iran’s pullout from nuclear deal — diplomat
- 15.05.2018State Duma approves criminal liability for aiding West’s anti-Russia sanctions
- 14.05.2018Books on “Armenian genocide” by American and Turkish historians published in Moscow
- 12.05.2018Armenian president appoints new FM
- 10.05.2018Armenia police chief, director of National Security Service dismissed
- 09.05.2018Russia slams US decision to withdraw from Iran deal
- 08.05.2018Armenia’s first deputy defense minister resigns
- 08.05.2018Russian Interior Ministry warns Armenian and Azerbaijani diaspora over upcoming Immortal Regiment march
- 08.05.2018Pashinyan elected Armenia's prime minister
- 07.05.2018Putin asks State Duma to appoint Medvedev Russia’s prime minister
- 07.05.2018Putin takes office for second six-year term as Russia’s president
- 05.05.2018Russian journalist: "Armenia historically is an encumbrance for Russia"
- 05.05.2018Police seize Navalny at Putin protest
- 04.05.2018Terrorist acts plotted in Russia were coordinated from abroad – FSB
- 03.05.2018One person killed, one wounded in attack on HSBC bank in Armenia
- 03.05.2018Azerbaijani woman appointed as Tatarstan’s minister of culture
- 03.05.2018Ukraine suspends participation in CIS coordination councils
- 01.05.2018Armenian Opposition Leader Pashinyan: Protesters Will Block Streets, Airport, Everything
- 01.05.2018Armenian Parliament fails to elect PM - UPDATED
- 01.05.2018Armenia's ruling party not to support Pashinyan's PM candidacy
- 01.05.2018Russia to remain Armenia’s strategic ally, Pashinyan says
- 30.04.2018Armenian opposition leader Pashinyan officially nominated for PM
- 29.04.2018Gagik Tsarukyan to support candidate Nikol Pashinyan
- 28.04.2018Armenia's ruling party withdraws prime minister candidate
- 28.04.2018Top diplomat hails Russian-Turkish cooperation
- 27.04.2018Russia's FSB detains four members of Daesh 'sleeper cell' from Syria
- 26.04.2018Pashinyan: We are not going to hold closed-door talks
- 26.04.2018Russian President and Armenia’s Acting PM hold phone call
- 26.04.2018Armenia ARF ministers, provincial governors resign
- 26.04.2018Armenia parliament to discuss election of new PM in early May
- 26.04.2018Serzh Sargsyan resigns as chairman of Armenia’s ruling party
- 02.05.2018Armenia's parliament to hold fresh vote for PM on May 8
- 02.05.2018Opposition blocks highways linking Armenia with Georgia, Iran
- 02.05.2018Armenia’s ruling party to vote for candidate supported by one third of MPs
- 02.05.2018Armenia protest leader: "We will not give up"
- 02.05.2018Protestors block many streets, including road to international airport in Yerevan
- 02.05.2018Pashinyan will once again be nominated to become Armenian prime minister