Cairo cathedral bombing: IS claims responsibility for attack
So-called Islamic State say it was behind a bomb attack on a church in Cairo on Sunday in which at least 25 people were killed, APA reports quoting BBC.
One of its fighters carried out the suicide attack on the Coptic Christian cathedral, the group said in a statement.
Egyptian President Abdul Fattah al-Sisi had earlier named the attacker as Shafik Mahmoud Mohamed Mostafa, 22.
Mr Sisi said the attack caused "pain to all Egyptians".
IS named the attacker as Abu Abdallah al-Masri.
President Sisi used his address at a service for victims on Monday to urge the government to amend the country's terrorism laws, which he said were "restricting the judicial system" in its battle to prevent such attacks.
He also declared three days of national mourning for the victims of the blast.
The Christian minority in Egypt has frequently been targeted by Islamist militants.
Egypt has seen a wave of attacks by militants since 2013, when the military overthrew President Mohammed Morsi, an elected leader who backed the Muslim
Brotherhood, and launched a crackdown against Islamists.
Some of Mr Morsi's supporters blamed Christians for supporting the overthrow.
Related news releases
- 23.03.2017Former member of Russia’s State Duma gunned down in Kiev
- 23.03.2017Depot fire in Ukraine's Kharkiv caused by sabotage - military prosecutor - UPDATED
- 23.03.2017Ukraine says sanctions on Russian banks to start from Thursday
- 22.03.2017Former 'defense minister' of so-called NK Republic detained
- 22.03.2017Russia’s Eurovision contestant may be banned from entering Ukraine for 3 years
- 19.03.2017Clashes occur between demonstrators and police in Yerevan
- 19.03.20172,000 protest against St.Isaac Cathedral’s transfer to Orthodox Church in St. Petersburg
- 18.03.2017No explosives found at Moscow railway station after bomb threat call
- 17.03.2017Russia issues int’l arrest warrant for Baku-born woman over alleged involvement in armed groups
- 17.03.2017Blast at coke factory in Zaporizhya claims four lives
- 17.03.2017A protest action takes place in the center of Yerevan
- 16.03.2017Ukraine's national bank proposes sanctions against Russian banks
- 16.03.2017Russia to assist Armenia-Turkey talks – Lavrov
- 16.03.2017Moscow believes restoration of co-op with Ankara will serve stability in South Caucasus
- 15.03.2017Putin, Sargsyan meet in Moscow
- 15.03.2017Liberal Democrats walk out of Duma session after corruption row with United Russia
- 15.03.2017Russia's Lavrov slams allegations of Moscow’s new imperial ambition as hoax
- 15.03.2017Russian special services prevented a major terrorist attack planned in Moscow
- 15.03.2017Putin, Sargsyan to discuss Nagorno-Karabakh conflict settlement
- 14.03.2017Kremlin: No decision on Russian UN ambassador candidacy as of yet
- 13.03.2017Russia’s representative may be banned from Eurovision 2017 in Kiev
- 13.03.2017Military exercises launched in Russia’s south
- 12.03.2017Astana ready to host talks on Syria on March 14-15 - Kazakhstan’s foreign ministry
- 11.03.2017Moscow cinema evacuated over bomb alert
- 10.03.2017Putin: "I'd like to emphasize that we view Turkey as our key partner"
- 10.03.2017Turkish Stream to increase Turkey’s transit potential – Putin
- 10.03.2017Putin, Erdogan holding meeting in Moscow
- 09.03.2017Telman Ismailov officially declared bankrupt
- 09.03.2017Russia’s Putin sacks 10 generals
- 09.03.2017Two Armenian businessmen shot dead in Russia
- 09.03.2017Lavrov: No conflict can be resolved without US involvement
- 07.03.2017Avian influence outbreak reported in Russia
- 07.03.2017Putin pardons Russian woman convicted of high treason
- 07.03.2017Armenian president departs for France on official visit
- 06.03.2017Former deputy commander-in-chief of Russia's Internal Troops arrested
- 06.03.2017Russia hopes Caspian littoral countries to reach agreement on status issue
- 03.03.2017Armenian soldiers injured at military position identified - UPDATED
- 03.03.2017Russian general seriously wounded in Syria
- 03.03.2017Ukraine’s tax chief suspected of embezzling near $73 million
- 03.03.2017Ukrainian minister of Azerbaijani background Roman Nasirov detained
- 14.12.2016Lavrov: "Russia interested in normalization of relations with EU, US"
- 15.12.2016Media: Russian Deputy Prime Minister to visit Baku
- 15.12.2016ISIL terrorist attacks prevented in Moscow
- 13.12.2016Russia's opposition leader Navalny plans to run for president in 2018
- 13.12.2016Gorbachev thinks new Union in borders of USSR is possible
- 10.12.2016Car crash leaves at least seven dead in Russia's southern Urals