Cairo cathedral bombing: IS claims responsibility for attack
So-called Islamic State say it was behind a bomb attack on a church in Cairo on Sunday in which at least 25 people were killed, APA reports quoting BBC.
One of its fighters carried out the suicide attack on the Coptic Christian cathedral, the group said in a statement.
Egyptian President Abdul Fattah al-Sisi had earlier named the attacker as Shafik Mahmoud Mohamed Mostafa, 22.
Mr Sisi said the attack caused "pain to all Egyptians".
IS named the attacker as Abu Abdallah al-Masri.
President Sisi used his address at a service for victims on Monday to urge the government to amend the country's terrorism laws, which he said were "restricting the judicial system" in its battle to prevent such attacks.
He also declared three days of national mourning for the victims of the blast.
The Christian minority in Egypt has frequently been targeted by Islamist militants.
Egypt has seen a wave of attacks by militants since 2013, when the military overthrew President Mohammed Morsi, an elected leader who backed the Muslim
Brotherhood, and launched a crackdown against Islamists.
Some of Mr Morsi's supporters blamed Christians for supporting the overthrow.
Related news releases
- 20.05.2018Pentagon says Moscow 'not doing enough' to fight terrorism within borders
- 20.05.2018All militants who attacked church in Grozny identified, says Chechnya’s head
- 18.05.2018Putin approves new cabinet
- 17.05.2018Putin Met With Assad in Sochi - Kremlin Spokesman
- 17.05.2018Putin: Defense Ministry allocates $24 billion for state defense order 2018
- 16.05.2018Protesters storm mayor’s building in Yerevan
- 16.05.2018Russian embassy warns of attempts to embroil other states in Skripal case
- 15.05.2018Start your engines: Putin driving truck, opens newly-built Crimean Bridge
- 15.05.2018Moscow says U.S. putting serious pressure on Iran nuclear deal participants
- 15.05.2018Moscow does not rule out Iran’s pullout from nuclear deal — diplomat
- 15.05.2018State Duma approves criminal liability for aiding West’s anti-Russia sanctions
- 14.05.2018Books on “Armenian genocide” by American and Turkish historians published in Moscow
- 12.05.2018Armenian president appoints new FM
- 10.05.2018Armenia police chief, director of National Security Service dismissed
- 09.05.2018Russia slams US decision to withdraw from Iran deal
- 08.05.2018Armenia’s first deputy defense minister resigns
- 08.05.2018Russian Interior Ministry warns Armenian and Azerbaijani diaspora over upcoming Immortal Regiment march
- 08.05.2018Pashinyan elected Armenia's prime minister
- 07.05.2018Putin asks State Duma to appoint Medvedev Russia’s prime minister
- 07.05.2018Putin takes office for second six-year term as Russia’s president
- 05.05.2018Russian journalist: "Armenia historically is an encumbrance for Russia"
- 05.05.2018Police seize Navalny at Putin protest
- 04.05.2018Terrorist acts plotted in Russia were coordinated from abroad – FSB
- 03.05.2018One person killed, one wounded in attack on HSBC bank in Armenia
- 03.05.2018Azerbaijani woman appointed as Tatarstan’s minister of culture
- 03.05.2018Ukraine suspends participation in CIS coordination councils
- 02.05.2018Armenia’s ruling party to vote for candidate supported by one third of MPs
- 02.05.2018Opposition blocks highways linking Armenia with Georgia, Iran
- 02.05.2018Armenia's parliament to hold fresh vote for PM on May 8
- 02.05.2018Civil resistance in Armenia expands
- 02.05.2018Armenia protest leader: "We will not give up"
- 02.05.2018Protestors block many streets, including road to international airport in Yerevan
- 02.05.2018Pashinyan will once again be nominated to become Armenian prime minister
- 01.05.2018Armenian Opposition Leader Pashinyan: Protesters Will Block Streets, Airport, Everything
- 01.05.2018Armenian Parliament fails to elect PM - UPDATED
- 01.05.2018Armenia's ruling party not to support Pashinyan's PM candidacy
- 01.05.2018Russia to remain Armenia’s strategic ally, Pashinyan says
- 30.04.2018Armenian opposition leader Pashinyan officially nominated for PM
- 29.04.2018Gagik Tsarukyan to support candidate Nikol Pashinyan
- 28.04.2018Armenia's ruling party withdraws prime minister candidate
- 14.12.2016Lavrov: "Russia interested in normalization of relations with EU, US"
- 15.12.2016Media: Russian Deputy Prime Minister to visit Baku
- 15.12.2016ISIL terrorist attacks prevented in Moscow
- 13.12.2016Russia's opposition leader Navalny plans to run for president in 2018
- 13.12.2016Gorbachev thinks new Union in borders of USSR is possible
- 10.12.2016Car crash leaves at least seven dead in Russia's southern Urals