Atambayev: Russian military base must leave Kyrgyzstan
Baku – APA. Russia will remain as Kyrgyzstan’s strategic partner, but in military terms the republic must rely on its own power, said Kyrgyz President Almazbek Atambayev during a press conference on the results of 2016, RIA Novosti reported on Dec. 1.
“I think that we did absolutely right thing with regard to the Hansi base (the US air base at the international airport of Kyrgyzstan’s capital was withdrawn under the decision of President Atambayev),” noted Kyrgyz President. “Five years have passed and time has shown that this was the right decision.”
Kyrgyzstan must rely only on its own power in the future, he said, adding that it also concerns the Russian base.
Atambayev also noted that after the expiry of the agreement on the Russian base, it “will have to leave” the territory of Kyrgyzstan.
He added that the Russian leadership responded with understanding in this regard.
Joint Russian military base is based in Kazakhstan’s territory. Under the bilateral Kyrgyz-Russian agreements, there are four military facilities of Russia in Kyrgyzstan. In 2009, the term of the agreement was extended for 49 years with the possibility of its automatic extension for 25-year periods.
Related news releases
- 20.05.2018Pentagon says Moscow 'not doing enough' to fight terrorism within borders
- 20.05.2018All militants who attacked church in Grozny identified, says Chechnya’s head
- 18.05.2018Putin approves new cabinet
- 17.05.2018Putin Met With Assad in Sochi - Kremlin Spokesman
- 17.05.2018Putin: Defense Ministry allocates $24 billion for state defense order 2018
- 16.05.2018Protesters storm mayor’s building in Yerevan
- 16.05.2018Russian embassy warns of attempts to embroil other states in Skripal case
- 15.05.2018Start your engines: Putin driving truck, opens newly-built Crimean Bridge
- 15.05.2018Moscow says U.S. putting serious pressure on Iran nuclear deal participants
- 15.05.2018Moscow does not rule out Iran’s pullout from nuclear deal — diplomat
- 15.05.2018State Duma approves criminal liability for aiding West’s anti-Russia sanctions
- 14.05.2018Books on “Armenian genocide” by American and Turkish historians published in Moscow
- 12.05.2018Armenian president appoints new FM
- 10.05.2018Armenia police chief, director of National Security Service dismissed
- 09.05.2018Russia slams US decision to withdraw from Iran deal
- 08.05.2018Armenia’s first deputy defense minister resigns
- 08.05.2018Russian Interior Ministry warns Armenian and Azerbaijani diaspora over upcoming Immortal Regiment march
- 08.05.2018Pashinyan elected Armenia's prime minister
- 07.05.2018Putin asks State Duma to appoint Medvedev Russia’s prime minister
- 07.05.2018Putin takes office for second six-year term as Russia’s president
- 05.05.2018Russian journalist: "Armenia historically is an encumbrance for Russia"
- 05.05.2018Police seize Navalny at Putin protest
- 04.05.2018Terrorist acts plotted in Russia were coordinated from abroad – FSB
- 03.05.2018One person killed, one wounded in attack on HSBC bank in Armenia
- 03.05.2018Azerbaijani woman appointed as Tatarstan’s minister of culture
- 03.05.2018Ukraine suspends participation in CIS coordination councils
- 02.05.2018Armenia’s ruling party to vote for candidate supported by one third of MPs
- 02.05.2018Opposition blocks highways linking Armenia with Georgia, Iran
- 02.05.2018Armenia's parliament to hold fresh vote for PM on May 8
- 02.05.2018Civil resistance in Armenia expands
- 02.05.2018Armenia protest leader: "We will not give up"
- 02.05.2018Protestors block many streets, including road to international airport in Yerevan
- 02.05.2018Pashinyan will once again be nominated to become Armenian prime minister
- 01.05.2018Armenian Opposition Leader Pashinyan: Protesters Will Block Streets, Airport, Everything
- 01.05.2018Armenian Parliament fails to elect PM - UPDATED
- 01.05.2018Armenia's ruling party not to support Pashinyan's PM candidacy
- 01.05.2018Russia to remain Armenia’s strategic ally, Pashinyan says
- 30.04.2018Armenian opposition leader Pashinyan officially nominated for PM
- 29.04.2018Gagik Tsarukyan to support candidate Nikol Pashinyan
- 28.04.2018Armenia's ruling party withdraws prime minister candidate
- 01.12.2016Russian economy is on way to recovery, Putin says
- 01.12.2016Russia ready to cooperate with new US administration
- 01.12.2016Putin: Russia ready to take part in resolving int’l problems
- 01.12.2016Ukraine starts missile launch drills near Crimea
- 01.12.2016Ukraine prepares missile test near Crimea, angering Russia
- 01.12.2016Lavrov and Kerry will discuss Ukraine at meeting in Rome