Atambayev: Russian military base must leave Kyrgyzstan
Baku – APA. Russia will remain as Kyrgyzstan’s strategic partner, but in military terms the republic must rely on its own power, said Kyrgyz President Almazbek Atambayev during a press conference on the results of 2016, RIA Novosti reported on Dec. 1.
“I think that we did absolutely right thing with regard to the Hansi base (the US air base at the international airport of Kyrgyzstan’s capital was withdrawn under the decision of President Atambayev),” noted Kyrgyz President. “Five years have passed and time has shown that this was the right decision.”
Kyrgyzstan must rely only on its own power in the future, he said, adding that it also concerns the Russian base.
Atambayev also noted that after the expiry of the agreement on the Russian base, it “will have to leave” the territory of Kyrgyzstan.
He added that the Russian leadership responded with understanding in this regard.
Joint Russian military base is based in Kazakhstan’s territory. Under the bilateral Kyrgyz-Russian agreements, there are four military facilities of Russia in Kyrgyzstan. In 2009, the term of the agreement was extended for 49 years with the possibility of its automatic extension for 25-year periods.
Related news releases
- 09.08.2017Russian Defense Ministry renovating major facilities for FIFA World Cup
- 08.08.2017Russia's Putin visits breakaway Georgian region of Abkhazia: Kremlin
- 06.08.2017Russia’s ex-envoy to US says his talks with Flynn were about Russian-US cooperation
- 05.08.2017Russian minister says U.S. exit from Paris pact "terrible mistake"
- 05.08.2017Russia says reserves right to retaliate over new EU sanctions
- 04.08.2017Russian deputy minister blacklisted in new EU sanctions over Siemens turbines to Crimea
- 03.08.2017Kremlin: Moldova Gov't Declaring Rogozin Persona Non-Grata Unacceptable
- 02.08.2017Russian PM Medvedev on new sanctions: 'US declares full-fledged trade war'
- 02.08.2017Moldovan gov't declares Russian Deputy Prime Minister Rogozin Persona Non-Grata
- 02.08.2017Georgian officials strongly criticize Putin’s forthcoming visit to Abkhazia
- 01.08.2017Moscow court shooting: Three 'Grand Theft Auto' gang members killed in bungled bid to escape trial
- 01.08.2017Four killed in shooting at Moscow court: lawyer
- 01.08.2017Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan continue talks on border settlement - Kyrgyz Government
- 30.07.2017Russia to continue delivering rocket engines to US — deputy premier
- 29.07.2017Moldova demands Russia to withdraw its troops from Transnistria
- 28.07.2017Russia orders out U.S. diplomats in sanctions retaliation
- 28.07.2017Russia suspends US embassy use of diplomatic properties in Moscow
- 28.07.20177 suspected terrorists detained in St. Petersburg
- 28.07.2017Uzbek prosecutors charge ex-leader's daughter of 6 criminal offenses
- 27.07.2017Putin: We'll have to retaliate against 'illegal' U.S. sanctions
- 27.07.2017Russia's response to U.S. sanctions to hinge on final bill text: Putin
- 26.07.2017Ukraine deports Russian journalist
- 26.07.2017Russia calls US source of danger
- 25.07.2017Man planning to fly to Syria to join ISIL via Baku detained in Russia
- 25.07.2017Applicants for higher education decreasing in numbers in Armenia
- 25.07.2017Trump slams AG Sessions' 'weak' position on Clinton emails
- 22.07.2017Lavrov says US continues support to some opposition groups in Syria
- 20.07.2017Kremlin says not considering Lapshin’s extradition to Russia
- 18.07.2017Russia reiterates its restrained stance on North Korean issue settlement
- 18.07.2017Fire in Mosow high-rise extinguished - UPDATED
- 17.07.2017Sargsyan: Russia’s sale of arms to Azerbaijan is most painful aspect of Armenia-Russia relations
- 16.07.2017Suspects in attack on Russian tourists in Abkhazia identified - security service
- 14.07.2017Russia's Putin hopes dialogue with Trump will continue
- 14.07.2017Lawmaker Zhirinovsky: United Russian-Armenian military group should be under Russian command
- 14.07.2017Russian Duma ratifies agreement to keep 49-year presence at Syrian naval and air base
- 14.07.2017Russia ratifies agreement on joint group of forces with Armenia
- 14.07.2017Moscow threatens to reduce number of American diplomats at US embassy
- 14.07.2017The State Duma will consider ratification of the agreement with Armenia
- 13.07.2017Sergei Lavrov: "Russia does not support Assad"
- 13.07.2017Boris Nemtsov killer sentenced to 20 years in prison
- 01.12.2016Russian economy is on way to recovery, Putin says
- 01.12.2016Russia ready to cooperate with new US administration
- 01.12.2016Putin: Russia ready to take part in resolving int’l problems
- 01.12.2016Ukraine starts missile launch drills near Crimea
- 01.12.2016Ukraine prepares missile test near Crimea, angering Russia
- 01.12.2016Lavrov and Kerry will discuss Ukraine at meeting in Rome