Armen Sarkissian elected 4th President of Armenia
Armen Sarkissian has been elected the fourth President of Armenia as a result of the vote in the National Assembly, APA reported citing news.am.
Head of the election commission Gagik Melikyan said Sarkissian was elected 90 votes for and ten votes against as a result of secret ballot.
Sarkissian was the only candidate for the presidency. His candidacy was presented by the ruling coalition - Republican Party of Armenia and ARF Dashnaktsutyun. One quarter of the deputies' votes was necessary to nominate a candidate for the presidency. The Tsarukyan bloc did not express a desire to nominate a candidate, while Yelq bloc lached enough deputies to nominate a candidate.
In accordance with the amendments to the Constitution introduced in 2015, it is the first time when Armenia chooses the president not by way of nationwide elections, but by voting in the National Assembly. Since the Republic has adopted to the parliamentary form of government, the prime minister becomes the first official of the state, and the powers of the president have significantly decreased. Armen Sarkissian will take over the office after the powers of the incumbent president expire on April 9.
Related news releases
- 24.04.2018Russia says no decision yet on delivery of S-300 missiles to Syria
- 23.04.2018Armenian PM Serzh Sargsyan resigns - UPDATED
- 23.04.2018Kremlin calls events in Armenia domestic affair, says Russia won’t meddle
- 23.04.2018Armenia’s delegation to PACE returns to Yerevan
- 23.04.2018Nikol Pashinyan released from detention center
- 22.04.2018Militants hand 30 armored vehicles to Russian military in Syria
- 22.04.2018Armenian President meets Serzh Sargsyan after talk with opposition leader
- 21.04.2018Nine gunmen plotting terror attack on May Day shot dead in Dagestan
- 21.04.2018Storm in Moscow leaves 2 dead, 12 people injured - UPDATED
- 21.04.2018Russian media company correspondent killed in Syria
- 20.04.2018Pashinyan: Situation is not under Serzh Sargsyan’s control
- 20.04.2018Democratic Party sues Russia, Trump campaign for allegedly disrupting 2016 election
- 20.04.2018Armenian police detain 183 opposition activists - UPDATED
- 20.04.2018Putin, Trump will not allow armed confrontation between Russia, US – Lavrov
- 19.04.2018Nikol Pashinyan: "We resume action of total blocking of Yerevan streets"
- 19.04.2018Russia and US may be left without direct flights due to Aeroflot’s visa difficulties
- 19.04.2018Militants who attacked UN Mission in Douma were warned in advance
- 19.04.2018Journalist gets beaten during mass protest in Armenia
- 18.04.2018Opposition march toward Republic Square
- 17.04.2018The Armenian opposition announced the creation of a committee of "velvet revolution"
- 17.04.2018Serzh Sargsyan elected Armenia’s PM
- 17.04.2018FSB exposes IS cell plotting terrorist attacks in Russia
- 16.04.2018Armenian opposition leader urges to block parliament building
- 16.04.201822 injured after demonstrators clash with police in Yerevan
- 16.04.2018Armenia’s Republican Party formally nominates Sargsyan’s candidacy as next PM
- 16.04.2018Armenians protest Sargsyan's appointment as PM
- 15.04.2018Kazakhstan warns of further military de-escalation in Syria
- 14.04.2018Opposition-led protesters break into building of Armenian public radio
- 14.04.2018Serzh Sargsyan nominated for Armenia’s PM
- 14.04.2018Syrian downs 71 out of 103 US coalition cruise missiles: Russian military
- 14.04.2018Putin: Operation launched by US and allies is aggression against sovereign state
- 14.04.2018Russian Defence Ministry: Over 100 missiles fired at Syria
- 14.04.2018Russian Foreign Ministry: "You shelled Syria's capital at the moment when it had gained a chance of a peaceful future"
- 13.04.2018Three wounded in landmine explosion in Armenia
- 13.04.2018Russia calls for emergency UN Security Council meeting
- 12.04.2018Russia asks US to solve problems at 'negotiating table'
- 12.04.2018Russia resumes flights to Egypt
- 11.04.2018Putin expects common sense to prevail amid global tensions
- 11.04.2018Putin's inauguration scheduled for 7 May
- 11.04.2018Moscow to Trump: Are ‘smart’ missiles an attempt to destroy alleged chem attack evidence in Syria?
- 15.03.2014Alexander Turchynov: “Ukrainian Army is capable of defending the country”
- 15.03.2014Ukrainian parliament terminates early powers of Crimea's Supreme Council
- 15.03.2014Oleh Tyahnybok: “Russian provocateurs are planning to seize the Verkhovna Rada”
- 15.03.2014East Ukraine’s Donetsk Mourns Deadly Clash Victims
- 15.03.2014Russia Says Ukraine Must Pay for Military Inspection Flight
- 15.03.2014Russian tourism agency: CIS states expand cooperation in tourism