17 killed, 12 others injured as train collides with bus in central Russia - UPDATED
17 people died in a crash after a train hit a bus which had stuck on railways in Vladimir region, Russia, according to the local law enforcement, APA reports quoting Sputnik.
A shuttle train hit a passenger bus in Russia's Vladimir region east of Moscow, killing more than ten people, the regional interior ministry said early Friday.
"At least 17 people have died in the collision," the Russian investigative committee’s Moscow department for transport said.
An emergency source has told Sputnik a child was among the dead.
A central hospital that is caring for those hurt in the collision has told Sputnik five people have been admitted, four in critical condition.
Authorities said the bus drove into the path of the train on a railway crossing at the red traffic light. The Moscow railway authority issued a statement saying the vehicle broke down.
"Tonight, at 3:39 a.m. a bus was passing a railway crossing near the Pokrov station when the engine stalled," its press office said.
A spokesperson of the Vladimir governor said the bus had a Kazakh license plate and the passengers were from Uzbekistan. The regional authorities identified 15 victims as Uzbek nationals.
At least 16 people were killed when a train collided with a bus in the Vladimir Region east of Moscow, local administration head Vyacheslav Arkelov told TASS, APA reports.
Some 12 other people were taken away in ambulances, with two children critically injured, Arkelov said.
Thirty-four people are reported to have survived the incident. Police are working on the ground to establish the details of the accident.
Early data indicates the most likely cause was the bus driver going across the rail tracks in spite of a red traffic light.
Related news releases
- 22.11.2017Turkey, Russia, Iran vow to back Syria's sovereignty
- 22.11.2017Putin, Erdogan and Rouhani agree on holding Syrian national dialogue congress in Sochi
- 22.11.2017Turkish, Russian, Iranian presidents meet in Sochi
- 22.11.2017Russian baritone Hvorostovsky dies at 55
- 21.11.2017Putin and Assad meet in Sochi
- 18.11.2017Five injured in passenger bus-truck collision in Russia
- 17.11.2017Six inmates slash their wrists in Moscow court
- 17.11.2017Minibus collides with truck in Volga Area, 15 dead
- 15.11.2017Russia’s State Duma passes amendments to foreign agent media law
- 14.11.2017Defense Ministry provides explanation on wrong photos attached to Abu Kamal statement
- 14.11.2017Russia detains 69 extremists in the Moscow region
- 14.11.2017Prisoner escapes in Armenia
- 13.11.2017Putin, Erdogan hold joint press conference after meeting in Sochi
- 13.11.2017Turkish, Russian presidents meet in Sochi
- 10.11.2017Russian, Turkish presidents to meet in Sochi on Nov. 13
- 10.11.2017Students continue protests in Yerevan
- 10.11.2017Syria deal could be announced after Trump-Putin meeting friday
- 09.11.2017Putin informed about collapse of residential building in Izhevsk
- 09.11.2017Several dead, injured as 9-storey building collapses in Russia
- 07.11.2017Russia's Communist Party organizes march celebrating 100th anniversary of October Revolution in Moscow
- 07.11.2017Russian State Duma delegation to visit Azerbaijan
- 05.11.2017Kremlin: Syrian settlement is considered as a topic for Putin-Trump meeting
- 03.11.2017Man serving life sentence for 1999 Armenia parliament tragedy dies at night
- 02.11.2017Kremlin confirms preparation for Putin-Erdogan meeting underway
- 01.11.2017ATC: Most of websites engaged in terrorist recruitment in CIS managed from abroad
- 01.11.2017Russian president arrives in Tehran
- 01.11.2017Another round of Astana talks on Syria to be held in late December
- 31.10.2017Russia hopes Syria will be liberated from terrorists in one or two months
- 31.10.2017Ukraine interior minister's son detained
- 31.10.2017Lavrov: Russia needs legal guarantees to extend Turkish Stream gas pipeline to EU soil
- 31.10.2017Moscow doesn’t rule out visa-free regime with Georgia
- 31.10.2017Wife of Russian accused of Putin assassination plot shot dead in Kiev
- 30.10.2017Man breaks into kindergarten in Armenia, takes hostages
- 27.10.2017Russia neutralizes threats along western borders by beefing up troop combat strength
- 27.10.2017Lavrov: Russia’s non-commercial organizations should promote idea of Eurasian integration in CIS
- 27.10.2017Putin test-fires ballistic missiles in strategic nuclear force command and control drills
- 27.10.2017Kazakhstan President orders transition to Latin-based alphabet
- 27.10.2017Western companies hardest hit by anti-Russia sanctions — Russian minister
- 26.10.2017Russia will respond to Twitter's RT, Sputnik ad ban - Russian Foreign Ministry
- 26.10.2017One man killed, three wounded in Kiev explosion
- 09.10.2017House fire kills five in Russia
- 10.10.2017Several documents signed at CIS Ministerial Council meeting
- 11.10.2017Turkmen president gives Putin Central Asian pooch as gift
- 06.10.2017Four Russian nationals abroad suspected of false phone bomb threats in Russia
- 05.10.2017Armenian businessman shot dead in Moscow
- 05.10.2017Russian Investigative Committee refuses to open criminal case against historian who exposed Armenian lies