Fire in Batumi hotel kills eleven - UPDATED
A fire in a hotel in Georgia’s Black Sea resort city of Batumi killed 11 people including one Iranian and 10 Georgian citizens, an official said on Saturday, APA reports quoting Reuters.
“Unfortunately, 11 people were killed and 19 were injured in a fire,” Giorgi Gakharia, Georgia’s interior minister, told reporters.
The fire started late on Friday on one floor of the Leogrand hotel and spread quickly. Batumi is about 360 km from Tbilisi, Georgia’s capital.
The hotel has been scheduled to be a venue for the Miss Georgia beauty contest on Sunday. According to officials, no participants of the contest, who were staying at the hotel, were injured in the blaze.
Speaking to reporters in Batumi, Interior Minister Giorgi Gakharia said fire may have erupted on the fourth floor of the building. “Unfortunately, the only stair-case was filled with smoke and the people were left stranded on the seventh floor,” Gakharia noted, adding that the firefighters had to use rescue cranes to evacuate the visitors from the building. As of 00:55, the evacuation was announced over.
Zaal Mikeladze, minister of healthcare and social protection in Adjara’s regional government, told reporters that 21 persons were hospitalized with signs of smoke inhalations, 18 of whom remain in Batumi hospitals, including one Israeli, five Turkish and 12 Georgian citizens.
As a result of a fire in the hotel "Leogrand" in Batumi, 12 people were killed told the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Georgia, APA’s Georgian bureau reports.
“Up to 100 firefighters/rescue workers are mobilized to fight fire in Batumi five-star hotel, Leogrand, reads the statement of the Georgian MIA”
According to the MIA, their personalities are being identified at this stage. Rescuers and policemen evacuated more than a hundred people from the hotel. Among them are guests, as well as hotel staff. Due to the different stages of intoxication, people in the hotel are transported to Batumi clinics.
The management center in the hotel "Leo Grand is active, which is headed by Levan Maisuradze, Head of Ajara Main Division of Patrol Police Department, ".
Related news releases
- 21.06.2018Armenian military officer caught red-handed for embezzlement of technical supplies
- 21.06.2018Russia’s cooperation with UN to be in focus of Lavrov’s talks with UN Secretary General
- 21.06.2018Russian interior minister arrives in New York to attend UN Chiefs of Police Summit
- 16.06.2018Taxi rams into people in Moscow, at least 8 injured - UPDATED
- 14.06.2018Putin introduced Armenian PM to the President of Azerbaijan
- 13.06.2018Anton Vaino appointed head of Kremlin administration
- 12.06.2018Russian foreign minister praises Trump-Kim meeting
- 12.06.2018Ukraine, Russia fail to agree on UN peacekeeping mission
- 07.06.2018Gazprom appeals against assets seizure in Swiss Court
- 07.06.2018Russia-Armenia trade turnover up by 30 percent last year – Lavrov
- 07.06.2018Russian, Armenian FMs meet in Moscow
- 06.06.2018Russian defense minister: Terror is the main threat to CIS countries
- 06.06.2018Putin expects sanctions on Russia to be removed with time, relations with US to improve
- 05.06.2018Russia not trying to split EU, Putin says before rare visit to Western Europe
- 03.06.2018Counterterrorism operation regime introduced in Dagestan
- 01.06.2018NPP reactor will be closed for repair In Armenia
- 31.05.2018Russia to cut excise duties on diesel fuel, gasoline starting from June 1
- 31.05.2018Moscow "House of Books" allows presentation of American historian's book about the "Armenian Genocide" after APA's news
- 30.05.2018Russia slams Ukraine's staging reporter's murder as `anti-Russian provocation'
- 30.05.2018Russian journalist believed to be dead turns up alive at news conference
- 29.05.2018Putin appoints Russia’s new ambassador to Azerbaijan
- 29.05.2018Lavrov notes US not interested in cooperating with Russia on cybersecurity
- 29.05.2018Armenian serviceman dies in road accident
- 26.05.2018Putin: Turkey has right to choose its military aircraft
- 25.05.2018Plenary meeting held in Petersburg forum with participation of Russian, French and Japan leaders
- 25.05.2018Armenian president visits Georgia
- 25.05.2018Cancellation of US-North Korea summit is ‘testing humanity’s nerve’ — Russian senator
- 25.05.2018Second Syrian National Dialogue Congress planned to be held in Sochi next month
- 25.05.2018Man taking hostages in Moscow apartment detained
- 24.05.2018Man takes three hostages in Moscow - Interior Ministry
- 24.05.2018Russian Defense Ministry general detained
- 24.05.2018Man commits suicide after killing five in Russia
- 24.05.2018Armenia army chief to be dismissed
- 20.05.2018Pentagon says Moscow 'not doing enough' to fight terrorism within borders
- 20.05.2018All militants who attacked church in Grozny identified, says Chechnya’s head
- 18.05.2018Putin approves new cabinet
- 17.05.2018Putin Met With Assad in Sochi - Kremlin Spokesman
- 17.05.2018Putin: Defense Ministry allocates $24 billion for state defense order 2018
- 16.05.2018Protesters storm mayor’s building in Yerevan
- 16.05.2018Russian embassy warns of attempts to embroil other states in Skripal case
- 25.11.2017Tiger shot dead in Paris after escaping from circus
- 26.11.2017Russia’s ex-finance minister regrets adoption of foreign agent media law
- 27.11.2017Iranian foreign minister to visit Armenia
- 25.11.2017Ukraine rebel region's security minister says he is new leader
- 23.11.2017Russia to cut task force in Syria — General Staff
- 23.11.20172 killed, 6 injured in shootout in Dagestan, closer to the border with Azerbaijan