Villagers killed in Myanmar's Rakhine state
Myanmar’s government on Thursday claimed a group of armed men on Thursday killed six villagers in the country’s volatile Rakhine state, APA reports quoting Anadolu.
A release from State Counselor Aung San Suu Kyi’s office said they were attacked as they were on their way to farmland near Kine Gyi village in Maungdaw Township on Thursday morning
The government said security forces found six villagers, including three women, dead of gun and knife wounds.
The victims were members of the ethnic Myo minority, the government said, adding its security forces were searching for two more missing villagers.
The northern part of Rakhine state has seen a four-month military crackdown after nine policemen were killed near the country’s western border with Bangladesh last October.
At least 106 people have been killed during the operation, the government claims, but Rohingya groups have said approximately 400 Rohingya have been killed.
The government said there have been about 60 cases of civilian murders or kidnappings by militants since operation ended in February.
A recent UN report said there was evidence of security forces committing abuses such as killings, including of babies and children, gang rapes and destruction of property.
Rohingya are denied citizenship by the Myanmar government, which officially labels them Bengalis -- suggesting they are illegal immigrants from neighboring Bangladesh.
The ethnic group, however, maintains it belongs to Myanmar and citizenship is their birthright.
Related news releases
- 22.07.2018North Korea's nuclear production capability still intact - US Commander
- 22.07.2018Coalition planes conduct air strike on civilians in eastern Syria - SANA
- 21.07.2018Hmeymim air defenses shot down militant UAV in Syria - Russian MoD
- 21.07.2018Turkish airstrikes ‘neutralize’ 8 terrorists
- 21.07.201811 killed, 8 injured in clash with terrorists in western Iran
- 21.07.2018One Iraqi protester killed in protest at Badr militia branch
- 21.07.2018Israeli fire kills four Palestinians as troops shot at on Gaza border
- 21.07.2018Israeli soldier killed by Gaza militants along Gaza border
- 19.07.2018Civilians killed in Afghanistan air strike: officials
- 19.07.2018Buildings collapse in Delhi killing at least three, more feared dead
- 19.07.201810 injured in 4 explosions in Iraq’s Kirkuk
- 18.07.2018Yemen's Houthis say they attacked Aramco refinery in Riyadh with drone
- 17.07.2018Unknown military aircraft crashes in Northern Syria
- 17.07.2018Women in Saudi Arabia Will Soon Be Able to Train as Pilots
- 17.07.2018Iran ready to boost uranium enrichment if talks with EU fail - Official
- 17.07.2018Protests in Iraq leave 5 dead, 190 injured
- 17.07.2018Syrian army says it captures strategic hill overlooking Israeli border
- 15.07.2018Indonesian police shoot dead three suspected militants
- 15.07.2018Rouhani: "The US ‘more isolated than ever’ over Iran sanctions"
- 14.07.2018At least 10 killed by landslide in northern Myanmar
- 14.07.2018Velayati: Russia wants to create joint electrical grid with Iran, Azerbaijan
- 14.07.2018China floods wreak havoc, block roads and railways
- 14.07.2018Palestinian teenager killed in Israel-Gaza border protests
- 13.07.2018Suicide bomber kills 128 in attack on Pakistani election rally
- 13.07.2018Former Pakistani premier Sharif arrested in Lahore
- 13.07.2018Indian planes carrying more than 300 people avoid mid-air collision by 200 feet
- 12.07.2018FBI Presents New Details on Lead Up to Saddam Hussein's Interrogation
- 12.07.2018Kim Jong-un: "Extraordinary efforts' made by Trump for improving US-N Korea ties
- 11.07.2018Iran Supreme Leader's aide hails 'strategic' ties with Russia before Putin talks
- 11.07.201812 killed in election rally in NW Pakistan
- 10.07.2018Death toll in Japan flood disaster rises to 156
- 10.07.2018Last remaining kid, coach evacuated from Thai cave - media
- 10.07.2018At least 140 dead after heavy rain and landslides in Japan
- 09.07.2018Death toll rises to 126 in W. Japan after flood, rain
- 08.07.2018Japan floods and heavy rain leave at least 41 dead, dozens missing - UPDATED
- 07.07.2018North Korea regrets US stance at talks
- 07.07.2018Iran calls for EU help as shipping giant pulls out for fear of U.S. sanctions
- 07.07.2018Insider attack in S. Afghanistan kills 1 US serviceman, injures 2 others - NATO - UPDATED
- 07.07.2018Indian army kills 3 civilians in southern Kashmir
- 07.07.2018Both sides seek to 'clarify' as Pompeo holds second day of North Korea talks
- 04.08.2017Large fire rips through Dubai's Torch Tower - VİDEO
- 04.08.2017NATO soldier killed in Afghanistan convoy attack: coalition
- 04.08.2017China warns India of 'serious consequences' over border
- 03.08.2017Afghan forces kill over 150 militants
- 03.08.2017Oil dips on high OPEC supplies, defying falling U.S. crude stocks
- 03.08.2017Iran says new U.S. sanctions violate nuclear deal, vows "proportional reaction"