Villagers killed in Myanmar's Rakhine state
Myanmar’s government on Thursday claimed a group of armed men on Thursday killed six villagers in the country’s volatile Rakhine state, APA reports quoting Anadolu.
A release from State Counselor Aung San Suu Kyi’s office said they were attacked as they were on their way to farmland near Kine Gyi village in Maungdaw Township on Thursday morning
The government said security forces found six villagers, including three women, dead of gun and knife wounds.
The victims were members of the ethnic Myo minority, the government said, adding its security forces were searching for two more missing villagers.
The northern part of Rakhine state has seen a four-month military crackdown after nine policemen were killed near the country’s western border with Bangladesh last October.
At least 106 people have been killed during the operation, the government claims, but Rohingya groups have said approximately 400 Rohingya have been killed.
The government said there have been about 60 cases of civilian murders or kidnappings by militants since operation ended in February.
A recent UN report said there was evidence of security forces committing abuses such as killings, including of babies and children, gang rapes and destruction of property.
Rohingya are denied citizenship by the Myanmar government, which officially labels them Bengalis -- suggesting they are illegal immigrants from neighboring Bangladesh.
The ethnic group, however, maintains it belongs to Myanmar and citizenship is their birthright.
Related news releases
- 20.08.2017Australian men charged with terrorism over mosque fires
- 20.08.2017Iraqi PM says start of operation to liberate Tal Afar from ISIL underway
- 20.08.2017Saudi central bank says Qatari pilgrims can change riyals
- 19.08.2017Israel's Netanyahu to discuss Middle East with Putin
- 19.08.2017DPRK accuses Japan of planning cyberspace war of aggression
- 19.08.201720 killed, more than 150 injured after 6 coaches of train derails in northern India
- 19.08.2017Floods kill 10 people, displace 11,000 in South China
- 19.08.2017Lebanese army launches operation against Islamic State
- 19.08.2017Yemen violence worsening, more access to north needed: U.N.
- 17.08.2017Suicide blast in Gaza kills police officer, hurts five
- 17.08.2017Iranian president urges EU to step up efforts in nuclear deal implementation
- 17.08.2017Kyrgyz opposition leader convicted ahead of election
- 16.08.2017Detained Iran opposition leader goes on hunger strike
- 16.08.2017Afghanistan, Pakistan agree on need to restore trust
- 16.08.2017Mass graves found after Afghan forces recapture Shia village from Taliban
- 16.08.2017Turkish military kills 3 PKK terrorists in Iraq
- 16.08.2017North Korea delays Guam missile firing, U.S. says dialogue up to Kim
- 15.08.2017Syrian Military Jet Crashes in Suwayda Province - UPDATED
- 15.08.2017Philippines, ASEAN urge dialogue with North Korea
- 15.08.2017Fighting between Moro groups in Philippines kills 25
- 15.08.2017North Korea delays plan to fire missiles toward Guam
- 15.08.2017Iran appoints chief of influential expediency council
- 14.08.2017Blast kills six in Pakistan's southwest
- 14.08.2017Turkish jets kill 13 PKK terrorists in N. Iraq
- 13.08.2017Quake of magnitude 6.5 strikes off Indonesian island of Sumatra
- 13.08.20178 PKK terrorists killed in southeast Turkey
- 13.08.2017Bomb kills at least 15 in Pakistani city of Quetta
- 12.08.2017Former Afghan police chief jailed on corruption charges
- 12.08.2017Laos to withdraw troops from disputed border area with Cambodia
- 12.08.2017Flooding kills 11 in Iran’s northeast, west
- 12.08.201730 children die in hospital in northern India: medical official
- 11.08.2017Myanmar: Swine flu deaths go up to 23
- 11.08.2017U.S.-led coalition targets IS financial centers
- 11.08.201736 dead, 13 injured in NW China road accident
- 10.08.2017Counterterror operations kill 6 PKK terrorists
- 10.08.2017Bomb attack kills politician in Yemen
- 10.08.2017EU broadens sanction list agaisnt DPRK amid U.S.-DPRK war of words
- 10.08.2017South Korea threatens to retaliate against North’s provocations
- 10.08.2017North Korea Calls Trump Impossible to Communicate With
- 10.08.2017Up to 50 teen migrants 'deliberately drowned' off Yemen
- 04.08.2017Large fire rips through Dubai's Torch Tower - VİDEO
- 04.08.2017NATO soldier killed in Afghanistan convoy attack: coalition
- 04.08.2017China warns India of 'serious consequences' over border
- 03.08.2017Afghan forces kill over 150 militants
- 03.08.2017Oil dips on high OPEC supplies, defying falling U.S. crude stocks
- 03.08.2017Iran says new U.S. sanctions violate nuclear deal, vows "proportional reaction"