Villagers killed in Myanmar's Rakhine state
Myanmar’s government on Thursday claimed a group of armed men on Thursday killed six villagers in the country’s volatile Rakhine state, APA reports quoting Anadolu.
A release from State Counselor Aung San Suu Kyi’s office said they were attacked as they were on their way to farmland near Kine Gyi village in Maungdaw Township on Thursday morning
The government said security forces found six villagers, including three women, dead of gun and knife wounds.
The victims were members of the ethnic Myo minority, the government said, adding its security forces were searching for two more missing villagers.
The northern part of Rakhine state has seen a four-month military crackdown after nine policemen were killed near the country’s western border with Bangladesh last October.
At least 106 people have been killed during the operation, the government claims, but Rohingya groups have said approximately 400 Rohingya have been killed.
The government said there have been about 60 cases of civilian murders or kidnappings by militants since operation ended in February.
A recent UN report said there was evidence of security forces committing abuses such as killings, including of babies and children, gang rapes and destruction of property.
Rohingya are denied citizenship by the Myanmar government, which officially labels them Bengalis -- suggesting they are illegal immigrants from neighboring Bangladesh.
The ethnic group, however, maintains it belongs to Myanmar and citizenship is their birthright.
Related news releases
- 20.03.2018Daesh kills one officer, injures two in northern Iraq
- 18.03.2018Iran security service arrest close ally of ex-president Ahmadinejad
- 17.03.2018Turkish troops reunite in Afrin's north
- 17.03.2018China's parliament re-elects Xi Jinping as president
- 16.03.2018Iran won’t renegotiate 2015 nuke deal: Deputy FM
- 16.03.2018U.S. military helicopter crashes in Iraq with seven aboard
- 14.03.2018Explosion kills 9 in northeast Pakistan
- 14.03.2018Deputy of ex-Iranian president remanded in custody
- 14.03.2018Two civilians killed in Damascus in shelling by militants
- 13.03.2018Iranian official blames UK for London embassy incident
- 13.03.2018Israeli PM Netanyahu urges feuding coalition to remain intact
- 12.03.2018At least 50 dead as Bangladeshi passenger plane crashes at Kathmandu airport - UPDATED-2
- 11.03.2018Military vehicle crash in Turkey martyrs one soldier
- 11.03.2018So-called leaders of YPG/PKK 'fleeing' Afrin
- 10.03.2018Iran expresses protest to UK over incident with embassy in London – FM
- 10.03.20188 terrorists 'neutralized' this week in Turkey, N Iraq
- 10.03.2018North Korean state media quiet on Kim Jong Un's overtures to Trump
- 09.03.2018Iranian farmers stage protest in drought-hit Isfahan
- 08.03.2018Israel will always control Jordan Valley: Netanyahu
- 08.03.2018Military storage unit in Iran explodes
- 08.03.2018Israel's El Al seeks U.N. help in bid to fly through Saudi airspace
- 07.03.2018Suicide bomber kills Muslim official in Afghan city
- 07.03.2018Ex-Iran leader warns of mounting public 'disaffection'
- 07.03.2018Terrorists force Afrin residents to dig ditches
- 07.03.20181 killed in car bomb blast in Syria's Al-Bab
- 06.03.2018Russian transport plane crashes in Syria
- 06.03.2018Wedding party truck plunges off a bridge in India, killing 25
- 06.03.2018Koreas reach 'satisfactory' agreement
- 06.03.2018Iran: We can resume enriching weapons-grade uranium in 'less than 48 hours'
- 05.03.2018'More than 40 militants' killed in Afghanistan
- 05.03.2018Papua New Guinea quake kills 80 people
- 04.03.2018N. Korea warns U.S. not to misjudge intention for talks
- 03.03.2018Saudi Arabia holds first-ever marathon for women
- 03.03.2018Turkish female troops provide backup in Afrin operation
- 03.03.2018North Korea threatens to 'counter' U.S. over military drills
- 03.03.2018Three Australians die, more sick in listeria outbreak tied to melons
- 02.03.2018Saudi Arabia lifts 35-year-long ban on cinemas
- 02.03.2018South Korea plans to send envoy to North Korea soon
- 02.03.20188 Turkish soldiers martyred, 13 wounded in Afrin
- 02.03.2018Iran detains 35 women for going to football match
- 04.08.2017Large fire rips through Dubai's Torch Tower - VİDEO
- 04.08.2017NATO soldier killed in Afghanistan convoy attack: coalition
- 04.08.2017China warns India of 'serious consequences' over border
- 03.08.2017Afghan forces kill over 150 militants
- 03.08.2017Oil dips on high OPEC supplies, defying falling U.S. crude stocks
- 03.08.2017Iran says new U.S. sanctions violate nuclear deal, vows "proportional reaction"