Uzbekistan starts direct negotiations with Taliban
Uzbekistan announced on Tuesday that the country has made direct contact with the Taliban in order to organize the group's negotiations with Afghanistan, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
The Uzbek Foreign Ministry said in a statement that in order to realize the common position of the participants of Afghanistan Conference which was held in capital Tashkent in March, Uzbekistan has made "constructive" conversations with senior members of the Taliban.
In these conversations, Uzbek officials discussed with Taliban the provision of long-term peace and stability in Afghanistan, dialogue for economic development of Afghanistan, and the future of mutual cooperation, the Foreign Ministry said.
In a declaration issued at the end of the conference, the sides "strongly" supported Afghan government's offer to launch direct talks with the Taliban without any preconditions.
The declaration was adopted by Uzbekistan, Afghanistan, China, France, Germany, India, Iran, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Tajikistan, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, England, the U.S., European Union and EU officials in the conference.
Also on Tuesday, Afghan President Ashraf Ghani offered to extend a cease-fire with the Taliban, which ended last week, to a year.
“I am ready to sit with them [Taliban leadership] in the desert, in the mountains, in the mosque…wherever they want," he said.
Earlier, the Taliban announced a three-day truce with the government for the Muslim festival of Eid-ul-Fitr.
In February, Ghani offered an olive branch to the Taliban, who have waged a brutal insurgency in the country in the past 17 years.
Ghani said a cease-fire will be enforced, a political framework will be established, and steps will be taken to free Taliban prisoners.
Related news releases
- 19.07.2018Civilians killed in Afghanistan air strike: officials
- 19.07.2018Buildings collapse in Delhi killing at least three, more feared dead
- 19.07.201810 injured in 4 explosions in Iraq’s Kirkuk
- 18.07.2018Yemen's Houthis say they attacked Aramco refinery in Riyadh with drone
- 17.07.2018Unknown military aircraft crashes in Northern Syria
- 17.07.2018Women in Saudi Arabia Will Soon Be Able to Train as Pilots
- 17.07.2018Iran ready to boost uranium enrichment if talks with EU fail - Official
- 17.07.2018Protests in Iraq leave 5 dead, 190 injured
- 17.07.2018Syrian army says it captures strategic hill overlooking Israeli border
- 15.07.2018Indonesian police shoot dead three suspected militants
- 15.07.2018Rouhani: "The US ‘more isolated than ever’ over Iran sanctions"
- 14.07.2018At least 10 killed by landslide in northern Myanmar
- 14.07.2018Velayati: Russia wants to create joint electrical grid with Iran, Azerbaijan
- 14.07.2018China floods wreak havoc, block roads and railways
- 14.07.2018Palestinian teenager killed in Israel-Gaza border protests
- 13.07.2018Suicide bomber kills 128 in attack on Pakistani election rally
- 13.07.2018Former Pakistani premier Sharif arrested in Lahore
- 13.07.2018Indian planes carrying more than 300 people avoid mid-air collision by 200 feet
- 12.07.2018FBI Presents New Details on Lead Up to Saddam Hussein's Interrogation
- 12.07.2018Kim Jong-un: "Extraordinary efforts' made by Trump for improving US-N Korea ties
- 11.07.2018Iran Supreme Leader's aide hails 'strategic' ties with Russia before Putin talks
- 11.07.201812 killed in election rally in NW Pakistan
- 10.07.2018Death toll in Japan flood disaster rises to 156
- 10.07.2018Last remaining kid, coach evacuated from Thai cave - media
- 10.07.2018At least 140 dead after heavy rain and landslides in Japan
- 09.07.2018Death toll rises to 126 in W. Japan after flood, rain
- 08.07.2018Japan floods and heavy rain leave at least 41 dead, dozens missing - UPDATED
- 07.07.2018North Korea regrets US stance at talks
- 07.07.2018Iran calls for EU help as shipping giant pulls out for fear of U.S. sanctions
- 07.07.2018Insider attack in S. Afghanistan kills 1 US serviceman, injures 2 others - NATO - UPDATED
- 07.07.2018Indian army kills 3 civilians in southern Kashmir
- 07.07.2018Both sides seek to 'clarify' as Pompeo holds second day of North Korea talks
- 07.07.2018No breakthrough in nuclear talks as Iran demands more after U.S. exit
- 07.07.2018Israeli air strike hits Syria at Golan frontier
- 07.07.2018Palestinian killed as Gaza protests against Israel enter fourth month
- 07.07.2018Second Saudi teen kills self after playing online game
- 06.07.2018Iranian leader describes EU proposals to save JCPOA as ‘disappointing’
- 05.07.2018German Coalition parties reach deal on Migration
- 05.07.2018Iranian FM summons German, French, Belgian diplomats
- 05.07.2018Pakistani court sends fake degree mill owner to jail
- 20.06.2018North Korea, China discuss 'true peace', denuclearization: KCNA
- 20.06.2018North Korea expected to begin transferring remains of U.S. troops soon: officials
- 20.06.2018Iran says no plans to increase missile range, rejects talks with Trump
- 20.06.2018Afghan president offers year of ceasefire to Taliban
- 19.06.2018Iran rules out OPEC deal as Russia, Saudi push for oil output hike
- 19.06.2018Russia, Saudi push for big hike in oil output despite Iran opposition