US strikes 'kill 30 Haqqani militants' in Afghanistan
At least 30 members of the Haqqani network are thought to have been killed in U.S. air strikes in Afghanistan on Monday, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Provincial authorities in southeastern Paktia province bordering Pakistan’s restive tribal belt said hideouts of the Haqqani network in the Dand-e-Pathan district had been targeted.
The Haqqani network is a faction of militants associated with the Taliban. Based in southeastern areas of Afghanistan, it has been responsible for many deadly attacks in the capital, Kabul.
Abdullah Hasrat, spokesman for the provincial government, told Anadolu Agency a cache of arms and ammunition was also destroyed in the raids.
“I can confirm to you that 30 militants of the Haqqani Network were killed, and no civilian was harmed in the American air raids today”, he said.
The U.S. military in Afghanistan was approached for comment but did not respond by the filing of this report.
The Afghan Ministry of Defense confirmed the raid. In a statement, it said 109 insurgents had been killed in nationwide counter terrorism operations during the past 24 hours.
A day earlier, U.S. forces in Afghanistan confirmed the killing of Sheikh Abdul Hasib, the so-called emir of Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant – Khorasan Province (ISIS-K, another name for Daesh) and 35 other militants in a combined Afghan/U.S. raid in Nangarhar on April 27.
“This fight strengthens our resolve to rid Afghanistan of these terrorists and bring peace and stability to this great country. Any ISIS [Daesh] member that comes to Afghanistan will meet the same fate,” said General John Nicholson, Commander U.S. Forces – Afghanistan.
A deadly attack on a hospital in the heart of the Afghan capital Kabul in March remains one of the deadliest attacks orchestrated by Daesh in Afghanistan.
Afghan officials said then that at least five suicide attackers disguised as doctors stormed the Sardar Dawood Khan Hospital, also known as the 400-Bed Hospital, and started indiscriminately shooting at patients, doctors and staff. The attack claimed up to 49 lives.
Afghanistan and the U.S. have vowed to completely eliminate Daesh-K in 2017.
Related news releases
- 24.09.2017KRG leader rules out delay to referendum schedule
- 23.09.2017Iran says tests new missile, after U.S. criticizes arms program
- 23.09.2017US bombers stage North Korea show of force
- 23.09.2017Turkish parliament ratifies motion on Iraq, Syria - UPDATED
- 23.09.2017Turkish defense minister urges KRG to call off poll
- 23.09.2017Barzani: US Position on Kurdistan’s Independence Vote 'Surprising'
- 23.09.2017Turkey says KRG referendum will have serious consequences
- 23.09.2017First vote cast in Kurdistan independence referendum
- 23.09.2017Iran successfully test-fires new ballistic missile
- 23.09.2017Kurd region poll to be held on schedule: Barzani
- 22.09.2017North Korea's FM: "Pyongyang could test a nuclear weapon in response to Trump's threats of military action"
- 22.09.2017North Korea's Kim says will make 'deranged' Trump pay dearly for UN speech
- 21.09.2017S&P downgrades China's credit ratings
- 21.09.2017Khamenei: Trump’s ‘foolish’ comments on Iran rooted in US defeats in West Asia
- 21.09.2017Troops kill 9 rebels in Northern Philippines Province
- 20.09.2017'Ignorant, absurd, hateful rhetoric' - Iran's president on Trump's un speech
- 20.09.2017Iran publicly hangs man for rape, murder of 7-year-old girl
- 20.09.2017Turkey mulling sanctions over Kurdish referendum
- 19.09.2017Turkish jets kill 3 PKK terrorists in northern Iraq
- 19.09.2017Iran says it will not renegotiate nuclear deal
- 19.09.2017Iraqi Turkmen leader: Barzani plans to annex Kirkuk to Kurdish region
- 19.09.2017Palestine: President, Hamas' Haniyeh talk on phone
- 19.09.2017North Korea: UN sanctions motivate acceleration of nuclear weapon development
- 19.09.2017Turkish president speaks with Iraqi PM on phone
- 18.09.2017Iraq Supreme Court orders suspension of Kurdistan referendum
- 17.09.2017Turkey names new head to religious affairs directorate
- 16.09.2017Car bomb kills one, wounds 10 in disputed Iraqi oil city
- 16.09.2017Iraqi army liberates ISIS-held Akashat town near Syria border
- 16.09.2017Rouhani urges EU to pressure US
- 15.09.2017Islamic State claims responsibility for London blast:
- 15.09.2017Turkish Deputy PM meets Rohingya group's head
- 15.09.2017Seoul holds emergency National Security meeting after North Korean missile test
- 15.09.2017North Korea fires missile over Japan that lands far out in the Pacific
- 14.09.2017At least 50 die in twin attacks in Iraq
- 14.09.2017Airstrikes kill 5 PKK terrorists in eastern Turkey
- 14.09.2017Malaysia’s prime minister calls Myanmar violence genocide
- 14.09.201725 dead in fire at religious school in Malaysia
- 14.09.2017Evacuated Islamic State fighters reach Syria's Deir al-Zor: pro-Damascus commander
- 14.09.2017North Korea accused of raising money by stealing bitcoins in hack attacks
- 13.09.2017Suicide bomb near cricket stadium in Afghan capital kills at least three
- 09.05.2017South Koreans vote for new leader after months of political vacuum
- 09.05.2017Syrian peace talks to reconvene in Geneva on May 16: U.N.
- 09.05.2017South Koreans vote for new leader
- 09.05.2017North Korea detention of fourth US citizen 'concerning' - White House
- 08.05.2017Malaysian-born Daesh leader killed
- 06.05.2017Turkish army not to enter Syria's Idlib: Hatay governor