US strikes 'kill 30 Haqqani militants' in Afghanistan
At least 30 members of the Haqqani network are thought to have been killed in U.S. air strikes in Afghanistan on Monday, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Provincial authorities in southeastern Paktia province bordering Pakistan’s restive tribal belt said hideouts of the Haqqani network in the Dand-e-Pathan district had been targeted.
The Haqqani network is a faction of militants associated with the Taliban. Based in southeastern areas of Afghanistan, it has been responsible for many deadly attacks in the capital, Kabul.
Abdullah Hasrat, spokesman for the provincial government, told Anadolu Agency a cache of arms and ammunition was also destroyed in the raids.
“I can confirm to you that 30 militants of the Haqqani Network were killed, and no civilian was harmed in the American air raids today”, he said.
The U.S. military in Afghanistan was approached for comment but did not respond by the filing of this report.
The Afghan Ministry of Defense confirmed the raid. In a statement, it said 109 insurgents had been killed in nationwide counter terrorism operations during the past 24 hours.
A day earlier, U.S. forces in Afghanistan confirmed the killing of Sheikh Abdul Hasib, the so-called emir of Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant – Khorasan Province (ISIS-K, another name for Daesh) and 35 other militants in a combined Afghan/U.S. raid in Nangarhar on April 27.
“This fight strengthens our resolve to rid Afghanistan of these terrorists and bring peace and stability to this great country. Any ISIS [Daesh] member that comes to Afghanistan will meet the same fate,” said General John Nicholson, Commander U.S. Forces – Afghanistan.
A deadly attack on a hospital in the heart of the Afghan capital Kabul in March remains one of the deadliest attacks orchestrated by Daesh in Afghanistan.
Afghan officials said then that at least five suicide attackers disguised as doctors stormed the Sardar Dawood Khan Hospital, also known as the 400-Bed Hospital, and started indiscriminately shooting at patients, doctors and staff. The attack claimed up to 49 lives.
Afghanistan and the U.S. have vowed to completely eliminate Daesh-K in 2017.
Related news releases
- 20.02.2018Palestine Ready to Exchange Minor Territories With Israel - Abbas
- 20.02.2018Turkish President: Syrian forces tried to enter Afrin, retreated after Turkey's shelling
- 20.02.2018YPG/PKK-Daesh terror groups shell Turkey's south Hatay
- 20.02.2018Maldives leader seeks approval to extend state of emergency
- 19.02.2018Three Iranian police killed in clashes with Sufi protesters
- 19.02.2018Islamic State kills 27 Iraqi militiamen near Kirkuk
- 19.02.2018Israel, Egypt sign $15bn natural gas purchase agreement
- 19.02.2018Kurdish region flight ban to be lifted soon: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.2018Daesh doesn’t represent Islam: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.20182 Turkish soldiers martyred, one injured in operations
- 17.02.2018Turkish, Iraqi PMs stress cooperation against terrorism
- 17.02.20184 Israeli troops injured by explosive device near Gaza
- 17.02.2018Turkish PM: 'We have given terrorist organizations the Ottoman slap'
- 16.02.2018PYD/PKK terrorist admits to posing as civilian
- 16.02.20187 Turkish soldiers injured in Operation Olive Branch
- 15.02.2018Indonesia charges Daesh-linked group for deadly bombing
- 15.02.2018Lebanese PM rule out Hezbollah alliance in May election
- 15.02.2018US secretary of state meets with Jordan king in Amman
- 14.02.2018Knesset rejects bill recognizing so-called Armenian Genocide
- 14.02.2018No cases of human infection with H5N6 bird flu reported in Iran – official
- 14.02.2018Over 20 undocumented migrants held in Turkey
- 14.02.2018Turkey's president speaks to Saudi counterpart
- 14.02.2018Taliban confirms senior leader killed by US air strike
- 14.02.2018İraqi Turkmen Front officer attacked in Kirkuk
- 13.02.2018Cyclone wreaks havoc in Tonga's capital, parliament flattened, homes wrecked
- 13.02.2018Russians killed in clash with U.S.-led forces in Syria, say associates
- 12.02.2018Israel's Netanyahu says discussing settlement annexation with U.S.
- 11.02.2018Netanyahu speaks to Russia’s Putin about Iran
- 11.02.2018Putin Urges Netanyahu to Avoid Escalation in Syria
- 10.02.201811 Turkish soldiers killed, 11 injured in Afrin - UPDATED
- 10.02.2018Hundreds protesting in Seoul against N. Korea's participation in Olympic
- 10.02.201815 PYD/PKK, Daesh terrorists neutralized in Afrin
- 10.02.2018Hong Kong bus overturns killing 18
- 10.02.201848 Daesh-linked suspects arrested across Turkey
- 10.02.201827 reported dead in bus crash in Indonesia
- 10.02.20182 Turkish pilots martyred in Syria helicopter crash
- 10.02.2018Turkish military, Free Syrian Army free another village
- 10.02.2018North Korea's Kim Jong-un invites South Korean president to Pyongyang
- 10.02.2018South Korea's Moon hosts talks with North Korean leader's sister
- 10.02.2018Pence avoids Olympics encounter with North Korean official as Korean athletes march together
- 30.11.2013China to Provide Uzbekistan $350M for Crucial Rail Tunnel
- 30.11.2013Top US commander apologizes for Afghan airstrike
- 30.11.2013China scrambles jets to new defense zone, eyes U.S., Japan flights
- 29.11.2013Anti-government protesters break into Thai army compound
- 29.11.2013Syrian prime minister starts visit to Iran
- 29.11.2013Mortar attack kills 4 in Syrian capital