US-backed forces take key Syrian city, dam
The U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) and the Syrian Arab Coalition (SAC) have taken the pivotal city of Tabqa and the dam there from Daesh terror group, U.S. Central Command said Thursday, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
The forces had ousted Daesh militants from a nearby airfield in late March, and had been working to upend the group's control of the area for over a month.
Central Command said Daesh accepted the SDF's terms of defeat, and the coalition "tracked fleeing fighters and targeted those that could be safely hit without harming civilians".
Daesh's defeat in Tabqa marks a major milestone for the coalition's effort to encircle Daesh's de facto Syrian capital, Raqqah, ahead of a planned attack on the city.
The victory closely follows the U.S. announcement that it would begin to directly arm "Kurdish elements" of the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF).
SDF ranks include the YPG, an organization Ankara considers the Syrian affiliate of the PKK, which is listed as a terrorist organization in Turkey, the U.S., and EU.
Washington has relied heavily on the YPG in its campaign against Daesh but until recently had not directly armed the group as a matter of policy.
The recent shift has angered the Turkish government, which views the change as a threat to its security.
Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said Wednesday, "You cannot destroy a terrorist organization using another terrorist organization."
After meeting with Yildirim in London, Defense Secretary James Mattis said he has "no doubt" that Turkey and the U.S. "will work this out with due consideration, significant attention paid to Turkey's security, to NATO's security, and the continuing campaign against" Daesh.
"We agree 100 percent with Turkey's concern about PKK, a named terrorist group," he told reporters en route to Washington. "It is conducting an active insurgency in Turkey. It has orchestrated the killing of innocent Turkish civilians and Turkish soldiers. And we support Turkey in its fight against PKK as a fellow NATO member, just like all the NATO countries stand with Turkey against the PKK."
Related news releases
- 27.04.2018Leaders of two Koreas meet at historic summit
- 27.04.2018Kim Jong-un departs from Pyongyang to attend inter-Korean summit - agency
- 26.04.2018Yemen: 8 get death for collaborating with coalition
- 26.04.2018South Korea's Moon to meet North Korea's Kim at border for summit
- 25.04.2018Rouhani: US sets eyes on Arabian black gold reserves, bank accounts
- 24.04.20186 PKK terrorists 'neutralized' in N.Iraq
- 24.04.2018North Korean leader mourns deaths of Chinese tourists
- 24.04.2018Magnitude 5.1 earthquake strikes southeastern Turkey
- 24.04.2018Southern China karaoke lounge fire kills 18 - police
- 24.04.2018Saudi-led air strikes kill at least 20 at Yemen wedding
- 23.04.2018Russian, Chinese FMs call for peace in Syria
- 23.04.20187 killed, 2 injured in SW China road accident
- 22.04.2018Iran 'ready' to resume nuke program if US leaves deal
- 22.04.2018India seeks death penalty for child rapists
- 22.04.2018Saudi police: Riyadh's shooting targeted toy drone - UPDATED
- 22.04.2018Arms seized from militants shown in Syria’s Douma
- 22.04.2018Fears of a coup are sparked in Saudi Arabia after heavy gunfire erupts near the Royal Palace
- 21.04.2018PKK terror attack kills civilian in eastern Turkey
- 21.04.2018Japan’s Abe lauds North Korea move to end nuclear tests
- 21.04.2018Israeli troops kill four Palestinians in border protest
- 21.04.2018North Korea says will stop nuclear tests, scrap test site
- 21.04.2018Twenty killed in air strike in southwest Yemen: residents
- 21.04.2018Tehran warns Israel: Our ‘hands are on the trigger’
- 20.04.201829 Daesh terrorists killed in Iraq by airstrikes
- 20.04.2018Turkish court remands 3 senior FETO members
- 20.04.2018Four Saudi security forces killed by gunmen in southern province
- 19.04.2018U.N. team fired upon in Syria while visiting suspected chemical sites
- 18.04.2018Peace treaty with North Korea possible following denuclearization
- 18.04.2018Iranian helicopter crashes into Persian Gulf
- 17.04.2018Putin, Merkel discuss Syria — Kremlin
- 14.04.2018Rouhani, Assad hold phone conversation
- 14.04.2018Ali Khamenei accuses US, France and Britain of crime
- 14.04.2018Iranian FM: US, British, French aggression on Syria breaches international laws
- 14.04.2018Israel: Strikes in Syria an 'important signal' to Iran, Syria and Hezbollah
- 14.04.2018Syrian air defenses shot down 13 missiles: state TV
- 14.04.2018Israel says Iranian drone it shot down in February was carrying explosives
- 13.04.2018Russia claims chemical attack in Syria was 'staged and directed by UK'
- 12.04.2018Turkish army neutralizes 3 PKK/PYD-YPG terrorists
- 12.04.2018At least 16 killed by bombing to the north of Baghdad
- 12.04.2018Russian MFA: Israeli air force’s missile strikes on Syria coincident with intensified activities of ISIS
- 12.05.201725 killed in Pakistan suicide attack by Islamic State
- 12.05.2017Pakistan, Afghanistan, US to jointly act against Daesh
- 13.05.2017Philippines forces kill 20 Abu Sayyaf terrorists
- 12.05.2017Pyongyang doubles down on CIA terror threat
- 11.05.2017New South Korean president Moon Jae-in unlikely to shake up foreign policy
- 11.05.2017Assassination attempt of Iraqi health minister foiled