UN official condemns violence in Syria, attacks on aid workers
Baku-APA.UN official on Wednesday condemned the continued violence and the attacks on aid workers in Syria, saying that putting humanitarian workers into dangerous situations in the Middle East country "is not acceptable,” APA reports quoting Xinhua
Valerie Amos, the UN under-secretary-general for humanitarian affairs and UN emergency relief coordinator, said, " Nowhere in Syria is safe any more and humanitarian workers risk their lives every day to provide essential life-saving help. This is unacceptable."
"All parties must allow humanitarian aid and workers to pass safely into all areas of need," she said. "The recognized symbols of the Red Cross/Red Crescent movement must be respected."
Her comments came while expressing condolences over the death of a staff member of the Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC) in the Syrian city of Aleppo.
"My sympathy goes out to the family of Yousef Lattouf, and to the friends and families of all the humanitarian workers who have been killed in Syria," said Amos.
Lattouf is the 18th SARC staff member to die in the political crisis in Syria, which broke out in March 2011 and later developed into violence between the government troops and armed opposition.
The SARC warehouse Lattouf was guarding in the opposition-held area of Mashahad, was hit by a mortar on April 14. Another SARC volunteer was also injured in the attack.
John Ging, the operations director of the UN Office of the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), visited the site of the latest killing with the SARC Director for Aleppo, Hail Assi.
Ging condemned "the continuing brutal violence resulting in the senseless loss of civilian lives," said a press release on the incident.
Related news releases
- 25.08.2016US Navy Ship fired warning shots at Iranian Fast Boat
- 25.08.2016Separatists kill 6 paramilitary troops in SW Pakistan
- 25.08.2016Twelve people killed in American University attack - UPDATED
- 25.08.2016Palestinian Foreign Ministry urges U.S. to ban citizens from trespassing Al-Aqsa Mosque
- 25.08.2016North Korea fires submarine-launched ballistic missile towards Japan
- 24.08.2016Israeli soldier shoots dead Palestinian driver in West Bank
- 24.08.2016Turkey-assisted Free Syrian Army captures 4 villages from ISIL
- 24.08.2016Syrian foreign ministry condemns Turkish incursion
- 24.08.2016North Korea Fires Ballistic Missile From Submarine
- 24.08.2016Putin to visit Turkey on 31 August
- 24.08.2016Turkish army, coalition forces launch anti-ISIS operation
- 24.08.2016Car bomb blast in Thailand kills one, injures 29
- 24.08.2016Turkey’s Erdogan meets with KRG's Barzani
- 23.08.2016Putin, Netanyahu discuss Mid-East peace process in phone call
- 23.08.2016Turkey evacuates town amid anti-IS Syria campaign
- 23.08.201640 militants killed in NW Pakistan military operation
- 22.08.2016Turkish gov’t withdraws military bases outside of major cities
- 22.08.2016Russia 'showed-off' over use of Iran airbase for Syria strikes
- 22.08.2016Russia stops using Iran's Hamadan airbase - Iranian Foreign Ministry
- 22.08.2016Bus falls off a bridge into canal in India, 9 dead
- 21.08.2016Iraqi air force kills 19 ISIS Commanders in Mosul
- 21.08.2016Major pro-rebel demonstration in Sanaa
- 21.08.201630 people confirmed dead, 94 injured in Turkey wedding blast: governor- VIDEO - UPDATED - 3
- 20.08.2016Iran, Russia agreed on delivery of S-300 missile defense system, says Alaeddin Boroujerdi
- 20.08.2016Magnitude 6 quake strikes off Japanese coast
- 20.08.2016Kazakhstan to inspect some schools over possible FETO links
- 20.08.2016Turkey changes its policy on Syria
- 20.08.2016Iran says Russia may use other airbases
- 20.08.2016Russia offers Iran to buy S400 missiles
- 20.08.2016Turkish parliament ratifies settlement deal with Israel
- 20.08.2016Turkey: PKK terrorist killed, 3 soldiers injured
- 19.08.2016Four killed in Palestinian police arrest raid in West Bank
- 19.08.2016Fire erupts in business center in Istanbul
- 19.08.2016Ahmet Davutoglu’s ‘right hand’ detained
- 19.08.201612 killed, 36 injured by IS-launched mortar barrage in Iraq
- 18.08.2016Three people killed, over hundred more wounded in car bomb blast in Turkey - UPDATED
- 18.08.2016North Korea deputy ambassador in UK defects to South
- 17.08.2016'Iran did not allocate military base to Russia': Tehran
- 17.08.2016North Korea says it has resumed plutonium production
- 17.08.2016Turkey submits normalization deal with Israel to Parliament for approval
- 18.04.2013"Tragedy in Syria worsens by the day": UN chief
- 18.04.2013Yemen: US drone strikes kill 4 al-Qaida suspects
- 18.04.2013Family-clustered H7N9 cases unable to prove human-to-human transmission: expert
- 17.04.2013Officials: Attacks across Afghanistan kill 24
- 17.04.2013Iran condemns Boston blast, criticizes US policy
- 17.04.2013Assad accuses West of backing al-Qaida in Syria