UN official condemns violence in Syria, attacks on aid workers
Baku-APA.UN official on Wednesday condemned the continued violence and the attacks on aid workers in Syria, saying that putting humanitarian workers into dangerous situations in the Middle East country "is not acceptable,” APA reports quoting Xinhua
Valerie Amos, the UN under-secretary-general for humanitarian affairs and UN emergency relief coordinator, said, " Nowhere in Syria is safe any more and humanitarian workers risk their lives every day to provide essential life-saving help. This is unacceptable."
"All parties must allow humanitarian aid and workers to pass safely into all areas of need," she said. "The recognized symbols of the Red Cross/Red Crescent movement must be respected."
Her comments came while expressing condolences over the death of a staff member of the Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC) in the Syrian city of Aleppo.
"My sympathy goes out to the family of Yousef Lattouf, and to the friends and families of all the humanitarian workers who have been killed in Syria," said Amos.
Lattouf is the 18th SARC staff member to die in the political crisis in Syria, which broke out in March 2011 and later developed into violence between the government troops and armed opposition.
The SARC warehouse Lattouf was guarding in the opposition-held area of Mashahad, was hit by a mortar on April 14. Another SARC volunteer was also injured in the attack.
John Ging, the operations director of the UN Office of the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), visited the site of the latest killing with the SARC Director for Aleppo, Hail Assi.
Ging condemned "the continuing brutal violence resulting in the senseless loss of civilian lives," said a press release on the incident.
Related news releases
- 28.06.2017Qatar: Demands to end blockade ‘unproven claims’
- 28.06.2017Saudi, Qatar ministers spar over Arab nations' demands
- 28.06.20173 soldiers martyred in SE Turkey PKK attack
- 28.06.2017H-Bomb could be next addition to North Korean nuke arsenal
- 27.06.2017Iranian Lawmaker: Washington’s Iran, Russia sanctions contradict US commitments
- 27.06.2017No decisive winner in Mongolia presidential vote forces second round
- 27.06.2017U.S. says it appears Syria planning another chemical weapons attack
- 27.06.2017Saudi demands from Qatar 'very provocative': Germany
- 26.06.2017Mosul battle to end in days as troops advance in Old City: Iraqi general
- 25.06.2017Iraqi forces free hundreds of civilians in Mosul Old City battles as death toll mounts
- 24.06.2017Iran arrests Islamic State-linked group planning attack
- 24.06.2017Bomber planning to attack Mecca's Grand Mosque blows himself up
- 24.06.2017Saudi Security Forces foil attack on Mecca's grand mosque
- 24.06.2017Arab states issue ultimatum to Qatar: close Jazeera, curb ties with Iran
- 24.06.2017Separate blasts kill 40 in Pakistan: police
- 23.06.2017Iraqi forces battle toward heart of Mosul's Old City
- 23.06.2017Arab nations demand Qatar close Al-Jazeera, cut diplomatic ties to Iran, shutter Turkish base
- 23.06.2017North Korea Conducts Rocket Engine Test
- 23.06.20176 PKK terrorists surrender in SE Turkey
- 22.06.2017Dozens killed in Afghanistan as car bomb hits bank branch
- 22.06.2017Iran's Khamenei ordered missile strikes on Islamic State targets in Syria: Guards
- 22.06.2017Cuban FM: Trump's statements on Cuba do not conflict earlier agreements
- 22.06.2017China to launch four important satellites by 2020
- 22.06.2017First aid ship from Turkey setting sail for Qatar
- 21.06.2017Saudi king deposes crown prince, names son as successor
- 21.06.2017Air strikes pound southwest Syrian city of Deraa
- 20.06.201726 injured in Chinese plane crash
- 20.06.20173 Iran Revolutionary Guards detained in Saudi Arabia
- 20.06.2017Militant leader reportedly killed on Iran-Pakistan border
- 20.06.2017Four foreign inmates break out of Bali jail using tunnel
- 19.06.2017U.S., Russia, Iran draw new red lines in Syria
- 18.06.2017500 Turkish soldiers hospitalized in western Turkey
- 18.06.201717 PKK terrorists killed in N. Iraq, SE Turkey
- 18.06.2017Saudi guards fire on Iranian boat, killing fisherman
- 17.06.2017Russian warplanes kill 2 top IS commanders: defense ministry
- 17.06.2017Syrian army declares 48-hour cease-fire in Daraa city
- 17.06.2017Vanuatu president dies after sudden heart attack
- 17.06.2017At least three injured, seven missing after U.S. Navy destroyer collides with merchant vessel off Japan
- 17.06.2017Afghanistan: 700 pro-Daesh militants killed in 3 months
- 17.06.2017Saudi Arabia, UAE, Bahrain defend blockade on Qatar
- 18.04.2013"Tragedy in Syria worsens by the day": UN chief
- 18.04.2013Yemen: US drone strikes kill 4 al-Qaida suspects
- 18.04.2013Family-clustered H7N9 cases unable to prove human-to-human transmission: expert
- 17.04.2013Officials: Attacks across Afghanistan kill 24
- 17.04.2013Iran condemns Boston blast, criticizes US policy
- 17.04.2013Assad accuses West of backing al-Qaida in Syria