UN official condemns violence in Syria, attacks on aid workers
Baku-APA.UN official on Wednesday condemned the continued violence and the attacks on aid workers in Syria, saying that putting humanitarian workers into dangerous situations in the Middle East country "is not acceptable,” APA reports quoting Xinhua
Valerie Amos, the UN under-secretary-general for humanitarian affairs and UN emergency relief coordinator, said, " Nowhere in Syria is safe any more and humanitarian workers risk their lives every day to provide essential life-saving help. This is unacceptable."
"All parties must allow humanitarian aid and workers to pass safely into all areas of need," she said. "The recognized symbols of the Red Cross/Red Crescent movement must be respected."
Her comments came while expressing condolences over the death of a staff member of the Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC) in the Syrian city of Aleppo.
"My sympathy goes out to the family of Yousef Lattouf, and to the friends and families of all the humanitarian workers who have been killed in Syria," said Amos.
Lattouf is the 18th SARC staff member to die in the political crisis in Syria, which broke out in March 2011 and later developed into violence between the government troops and armed opposition.
The SARC warehouse Lattouf was guarding in the opposition-held area of Mashahad, was hit by a mortar on April 14. Another SARC volunteer was also injured in the attack.
John Ging, the operations director of the UN Office of the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), visited the site of the latest killing with the SARC Director for Aleppo, Hail Assi.
Ging condemned "the continuing brutal violence resulting in the senseless loss of civilian lives," said a press release on the incident.
Related news releases
- 17.01.2017Lavrov, Zarif stress importance of coordination ahead of Astana talks on Syria
- 17.01.2017Saudi says Trump stance on Iran and IS cause for optimism
- 16.01.2017Unknown flying vehicle shot down over Tehran: Report
- 16.01.2017Bangladesh court sentences 26 to death for 2014 murders
- 16.01.2017January 17 declared mourning day in Kyrgyzstan
- 16.01.2017Turkish Airlines cargo jet crash kills 16 in Kyrgyzstan
- 15.01.2017Double-decker bus in Hong Kong flips over leaving one dead, 16 injured
- 15.01.2017Duterte allows Malaysia-Indonesia help against pirates
- 15.01.2017Turkey completes building wall on borders with Syria, Iraq
- 15.01.2017Turkish jets ‘neutralize’ 6 PKK terrorists in E.Turkey
- 14.01.2017At least 23 people die as result of shipwreck on Ganges in India
- 14.01.2017Iraqi forces push onto Mosul University grounds
- 14.01.2017Palestinian president says Paris conference ‘last chance’ to implement two-state solution
- 14.01.2017Six dead, 15 injured in south China highway pileup
- 14.01.2017Iraqi forces reach Nineveh government building in Mosul
- 13.01.2017Tunnel collapse in Tabriz killed 3 and injured 2 people
- 13.01.2017Syria accuses Israel of bombardment
- 13.01.2017Five soldiers remanded over deadly Kayseri attack
- 12.01.2017Powerful blast rocks Damascus, casualties reported
- 12.01.2017Turkey neutralizes 3 PKK terrorists in northern Iraq
- 12.01.2017Russia, Turkey agree to coordinate airstrikes against terrorists in Syria
- 12.01.2017Iran’s first new Airbus jetliner lands in Tehran
- 11.01.2017Death toll from Kabul suicide blasts reaches 38
- 11.01.2017Iranian team Due in Saudi Arabia for Hajj Talks
- 11.01.2017Turkey condemns twin suicide attacks in Kabul
- 10.01.2017Two PKK terrorists 'neutralized' in SE Turkey
- 10.01.2017UAE ambassador to Afghanistan wounded in Kandahar blast
- 10.01.2017IS claims deadly truck-bomb attack in Egypt’s Sinai
- 10.01.2017Turkish jets hit 12 Daesh targets in northern Syria
- 10.01.2017Iraqi security forces disperse Baghdad sit-in
- 10.01.2017Armed clashes reported at police headquarters in Turkey’s Gaziantep
- 10.01.2017US increases support for Turkish military operations in Syria
- 10.01.2017Japan says always gathering information on North Korea's nuclear missiles
- 10.01.2017Iran receives Saudi invitation to discuss haj arrangements
- 09.01.2017Fire at ship breaking yard kills 5 workers in Pakistan
- 08.01.2017Former Iranian President Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani dies
- 08.01.2017North Korea aims to complete new ballistic missile development by 2018
- 08.01.2017Turkish company to build housing factory in Afghanistan
- 08.01.2017At least 25 injured in protest over Chinese Special Industrial Zone in Sri Lanka
- 08.01.2017Turkey, Iraq cooperation council vows to work for peace
- 18.04.2013"Tragedy in Syria worsens by the day": UN chief
- 18.04.2013Yemen: US drone strikes kill 4 al-Qaida suspects
- 18.04.2013Family-clustered H7N9 cases unable to prove human-to-human transmission: expert
- 17.04.2013Officials: Attacks across Afghanistan kill 24
- 17.04.2013Iran condemns Boston blast, criticizes US policy
- 17.04.2013Assad accuses West of backing al-Qaida in Syria