UN official condemns violence in Syria, attacks on aid workers
Baku-APA.UN official on Wednesday condemned the continued violence and the attacks on aid workers in Syria, saying that putting humanitarian workers into dangerous situations in the Middle East country "is not acceptable,” APA reports quoting Xinhua
Valerie Amos, the UN under-secretary-general for humanitarian affairs and UN emergency relief coordinator, said, " Nowhere in Syria is safe any more and humanitarian workers risk their lives every day to provide essential life-saving help. This is unacceptable."
"All parties must allow humanitarian aid and workers to pass safely into all areas of need," she said. "The recognized symbols of the Red Cross/Red Crescent movement must be respected."
Her comments came while expressing condolences over the death of a staff member of the Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC) in the Syrian city of Aleppo.
"My sympathy goes out to the family of Yousef Lattouf, and to the friends and families of all the humanitarian workers who have been killed in Syria," said Amos.
Lattouf is the 18th SARC staff member to die in the political crisis in Syria, which broke out in March 2011 and later developed into violence between the government troops and armed opposition.
The SARC warehouse Lattouf was guarding in the opposition-held area of Mashahad, was hit by a mortar on April 14. Another SARC volunteer was also injured in the attack.
John Ging, the operations director of the UN Office of the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), visited the site of the latest killing with the SARC Director for Aleppo, Hail Assi.
Ging condemned "the continuing brutal violence resulting in the senseless loss of civilian lives," said a press release on the incident.
Related news releases
- 25.09.2016Turkish military hits 54 Daesh targets in N Syria
- 24.09.2016Taliban controls 10 percent of Afghanistan: US
- 23.09.2016Brotherhood-linked bloc wins 15 seats in Jordan polls
- 23.09.2016US, Russia fail to agree on how to revive Syria ceasefire
- 23.09.2016Magnitude 6.4 earthquake strikes off Japan’s southeastern coast
- 22.09.2016PYD/PKK is replacing İSİS in northern Syria
- 22.09.2016Nearly 3,000 Syrians back home in Jarabulus from Turkey
- 22.09.2016Assad: US airstrikes on Syrian troops were ‘intentional’
- 22.09.2016Saudi-led coalition air strike kills at least six in Yemen
- 22.09.2016Iraq: Embattled Finance Minister Zebari sacked
- 20.09.2016Soldier martyred in PKK clash in eastern Turkey
- 20.09.2016Saudia Airlines from Jeddah ‘under threat’, placed in isolation at Manila airport
- 20.09.2016Israel says good relations with Turkey can contribute to regional stability
- 20.09.2016Kyrgyz president cancels UN trip due to chest pains
- 20.09.2016Iraqi PM announces operation to retake Shirqat, south of Mosul
- 20.09.2016Israeli forces kill two Palestinians in alleged stabbing attempt in West Bank
- 19.09.2016Air strikes hit aid trucks near Aleppo: monitors and resident
- 19.09.2016Syria ceasefire near collapse
- 19.09.2016Syrian army declares end of ceasefire
- 18.09.2016US airstrikes in Deir ez-Zor "open aggression" — Syrian command
- 18.09.2016Samsung Electronics says sold shares in four companies
- 18.09.2016Gunmen kill two policemen in Saudi Eastern province
- 17.09.2016At least 80 Syrian soldiers killed by U.S.-led air strike: monitor
- 17.09.2016Russian Defense Ministry confirms two F-16 Jets and two A10 Aircraft attacked Syrian army
- 17.09.2016Damascus Accuses US-Led Coalition of Bombing Syrian Army in Deir Ez-Zor
- 17.09.2016Air strike kills another senior IS group leader, Pentagon says
- 17.09.2016Earthquake of 5.9 magnitude hits Indonesia
- 16.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev completed Kyrgyzstan visit
- 16.09.2016Pakistan suicide bomb attack kills more than 20
- 16.09.2016Suicide bomber kills at least 16 people in Pakistan mosque
- 16.09.2016North Korea improving Missile Technology, could take more provocative action soon
- 16.09.20169 martyred in PKK attack in eastern Turkey
- 16.09.2016Putin, Netanyahu discuss situation in Middle East
- 15.09.2016PYD misusing US flags once again in north of Syria
- 14.09.2016Suu Kyi meets Obama in Washington for first time as Myanmar leader
- 14.09.2016Top diplomats from U.S., Japan, South Korea to meet on North Korea
- 14.09.2016Super Typhoon Meranti targets Taiwan, mainland China
- 13.09.2016Turkey hits Daesh targets in northern Syria
- 13.09.2016Shimon Peres hospitalized after stroke
- 13.09.2016Israel launches New Spy Satellite, Ofek 11
- 18.04.2013"Tragedy in Syria worsens by the day": UN chief
- 18.04.2013Yemen: US drone strikes kill 4 al-Qaida suspects
- 18.04.2013Family-clustered H7N9 cases unable to prove human-to-human transmission: expert
- 17.04.2013Officials: Attacks across Afghanistan kill 24
- 17.04.2013Iran condemns Boston blast, criticizes US policy
- 17.04.2013Assad accuses West of backing al-Qaida in Syria