U.S. starts deploying THAAD system in South Korea after North Korea missile test
The United States started to deploy the first elements of its advanced Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) anti-missile system to South Korea following North Korea's test of four ballistic missiles, U.S. Pacific Command said on Tuesday, APA reports quoting Reuters.
The announcement came as North Korean state media said leader Kim Jong Un had personally supervised Monday's missile launches, stepping up threats against Washington as U.S. troops conduct joint military exercises with South Korea.
"Continued provocative actions by North Korea, to include yesterday's launch of multiple missiles, only confirm the prudence of our alliance decision last year to deploy THAAD to South Korea," U.S. Pacific Commander Admiral Harry Harris said in the statement.
The move by the U.S. military is likely to deepen the brewing conflict between South Korea and China, which has angrily opposed the THAAD deployment as destroying regional security balance.
The four ballistic missiles landed in the sea off Japan's northwest, angering Seoul and Tokyo, days after North Korea promised retaliation over the military drills which it sees as preparation for war.
U.S. President Donald Trump and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe discussed the launches during a phone call on Tuesday.
"Japan and the U.S. confirmed that the latest North Korean missile launches were clearly against U.N. resolutions and a clear provocation against the regional and international community," Abe told reporters. "(North Korea's) threat has entered a new phase."
Trump also spoke to South Korea's acting President Hwang Kyo-ahn to discuss the North's missile launches, Hwang's office said.
Related news releases
- 21.01.2018Rockets fired from Syria hit Turkish border city Kilis
- 21.01.2018China accuses US of violating maritime border in South China sea incident
- 21.01.2018Turkey informs UK, France, China on Afrin operation
- 20.01.2018Turkish aid body takes measures for civilians in Syria
- 20.01.2018Turkey’s bombers hit 108 targets of 113 designated in Syria’s Afrin - General Staff
- 20.01.2018Russian troops in Syria's Afrin moved to Tel Rifat
- 20.01.2018Hotel in Kabul comes under attack, hostages reportedly taken
- 20.01.2018Operation Olive Branch launched in Syria's Afrin to clear PKK, Daesh, Turkish military says
- 20.01.2018Turkish security forces hit PYD/PKK in Syria's Afrin
- 20.01.2018Rohingya refugee leaders draw up demands ahead of repatriation
- 20.01.2018Iran nuclear deal cannot survive if U.S. pulls out: Russia's Lavrov
- 19.01.20181,000 PYD/PKK terrorists deployed in Syria's Tal Abyad
- 19.01.2018Hezbollah accuses Israel of Sidon bombing
- 19.01.2018Pentagon training PYD/PKK-led ally as ‘hold force’
- 18.01.2018Bus catches fire in Kazakhstan, killing 52
- 18.01.2018Palestinian teen ordered held until end of Israeli military trial
- 18.01.2018North Korea rejects sanctions talk, ready for 'successful' Olympics: diplomat
- 17.01.2018Syria talks to be held in Vienna next week
- 17.01.2018North, South Korea to march together under one flag at Winter Olympics
- 17.01.2018Date set for Syrian National Dialogue Congress in Sochi
- 17.01.2018Iran’s President has called a top priority for the Islamic world
- 16.01.2018UN rapporteur on Myanmar to meet refugees in Bangladesh
- 16.01.2018PYD/PKK activities in Afrin seen from Turkish border
- 16.01.2018Japan apologizes for false North Korean missile alert
- 16.01.2018Militant ambush kills 5 paramilitary troops in Pakistan
- 16.01.2018Barzani's party to boycott election
- 15.01.2018North Korean orchestra to perform in South during Olympics amid easing tensions
- 15.01.2018Erdogan vows Turkey will crush 'terror army' in northern Syria
- 15.01.2018UAE says Qatari jet fighters intercepted civilian flights
- 14.01.2018Iraqi PM announces coalition for May election
- 14.01.2018South Korea and North Korea to hold working-level talks on January 15
- 14.01.20184 schoolchildren drown in India as boat capsizes
- 13.01.2018Turkish military convoy dispatched to Syrian border
- 13.01.2018Erdoğan says Turkey will clear border of YPG terrorists
- 13.01.2018Iran rejects Trump's call for changes to nuclear deal
- 13.01.2018Agenda of Nazarbayev-Trump talks revealed
- 13.01.2018Nearly 2,000 Palestinians clash with Israeli forces in Gaza, West Bank
- 12.01.2018Israel to close 7 diplomatic mission worldwide: Haaretz
- 12.01.2018Unidentified gunman kills 4 women in western Iran
- 11.01.2018Magnitude 4.7 earthquake hits western Iran
- 07.03.2017North Korea says temporarily bans Malaysians from leaving the country
- 07.03.2017Japan, US leaders agree to hold 2+2 format talks amid N. Korean missile launches
- 07.03.2017Policeman shot dead in eastern Saudi Arabia
- 07.03.20175 traffic police, 5 civilians killed in renewed fighting in Myanmar
- 07.03.2017Four protesters killed, dozens injured in south eastern Nepal
- 06.03.2017One more Russian serviceman reported dead in Syria