U.S. starts deploying THAAD system in South Korea after North Korea missile test
The United States started to deploy the first elements of its advanced Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) anti-missile system to South Korea following North Korea's test of four ballistic missiles, U.S. Pacific Command said on Tuesday, APA reports quoting Reuters.
The announcement came as North Korean state media said leader Kim Jong Un had personally supervised Monday's missile launches, stepping up threats against Washington as U.S. troops conduct joint military exercises with South Korea.
"Continued provocative actions by North Korea, to include yesterday's launch of multiple missiles, only confirm the prudence of our alliance decision last year to deploy THAAD to South Korea," U.S. Pacific Commander Admiral Harry Harris said in the statement.
The move by the U.S. military is likely to deepen the brewing conflict between South Korea and China, which has angrily opposed the THAAD deployment as destroying regional security balance.
The four ballistic missiles landed in the sea off Japan's northwest, angering Seoul and Tokyo, days after North Korea promised retaliation over the military drills which it sees as preparation for war.
U.S. President Donald Trump and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe discussed the launches during a phone call on Tuesday.
"Japan and the U.S. confirmed that the latest North Korean missile launches were clearly against U.N. resolutions and a clear provocation against the regional and international community," Abe told reporters. "(North Korea's) threat has entered a new phase."
Trump also spoke to South Korea's acting President Hwang Kyo-ahn to discuss the North's missile launches, Hwang's office said.
Related news releases
- 19.06.2018MERS kills scores in Saudi Arabia
- 19.06.2018North Korea's Kim in China; U.S., South Korea suspend military drill
- 19.06.2018US, Turkey start patrols in Manbij
- 19.06.2018Jordan’s king, Israeli PM hold discussions in Amman
- 18.06.2018Six Iraqis killed in Daesh ambush near Mosul: Official
- 18.06.2018US airstrikes kill 22 Hashd al-Shaabi fighters in Iraq
- 18.06.2018Turkish soldiers enter outer districts of north Syria's Manbij
- 16.06.2018Turkey hits 'critical gathering' of PKK in north Iraq
- 16.06.2018Blast taints cease-fire in Afghanistan, 20 killed
- 15.06.2018Yemen gov’t forces take Al-Hudaydah’s southern entrance
- 14.06.2018Kashmiri journalist shot dead
- 14.06.2018Moon celebrates peace as Koreas hold military talks
- 13.06.2018Arab states launch biggest assault of Yemen war with attack on main port
- 13.06.2018Russian military seize arms cache in Syria’s Homs province
- 13.06.2018Iraq: Al-Sadr allies with Fatah to form majority group
- 12.06.2018Trump: North Korea sanctions will remain, but ‘war games’ to end
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim sign document following Singapore meeting
- 12.06.2018Ex-NBA star Rodman bursts in tears after historic Trump, Kim handshake
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim complete extended format talks - UPDATED-1
- 12.06.2018U.S. unveils de facto embassy in Taiwan amid China tensions
- 12.06.2018Trump says summit with North Korea's Kim is 'very, very good'
- 12.06.2018North Korea's Kim visits Singapore's sky bar, gardens in surprise evening tour
- 12.06.2018Kim set a deadline for ending summit, prompting earlier exit by Trump
- 12.06.2018Qatar sues United Arab Emirates at UN rights court
- 11.06.2018Former NBA star Rodman arrives in Singapore for Trump-Kim summit
- 11.06.2018Turkey launches anti-PKK ops in Qandil Mountains – Erdogan
- 11.06.2018Iran warns North Korea of US breach of promise
- 10.06.2018Frenchman commits suicide at Mecca - VİDEO
- 10.06.2018Terrorist cell smashed in Northwestern Iran
- 10.06.2018Kim Jong-un Departs for Singapore Summit
- 10.06.2018Civilians killed in Houthi shelling of Saudi Arabia’s Jaza
- 09.06.201814 PKK terrorists ‘neutralized’ in southeastern Turkey
- 09.06.2018Turkish soldier succumbs to injuries after PKK clash
- 09.06.2018Turkish forces 'deployed 30km inside' of northern Iraq
- 09.06.2018China accused of hacking, stealing US Navy plans
- 09.06.2018EU foreign policy chief cancels visit to Israel
- 08.06.2018Israeli troops kill four Palestinians as Gaza protest resumes
- 08.06.2018Saudi court sentences 4 to death over Iran espionage
- 07.06.2018At least 18 killed in Baghdad explosion
- 07.06.2018Sudan says it has cut all defence ties with North Korea
- 07.03.2017North Korea says temporarily bans Malaysians from leaving the country
- 07.03.2017Japan, US leaders agree to hold 2+2 format talks amid N. Korean missile launches
- 07.03.2017Policeman shot dead in eastern Saudi Arabia
- 07.03.20175 traffic police, 5 civilians killed in renewed fighting in Myanmar
- 07.03.2017Four protesters killed, dozens injured in south eastern Nepal
- 06.03.2017One more Russian serviceman reported dead in Syria