U.S. starts deploying THAAD system in South Korea after North Korea missile test
The United States started to deploy the first elements of its advanced Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) anti-missile system to South Korea following North Korea's test of four ballistic missiles, U.S. Pacific Command said on Tuesday, APA reports quoting Reuters.
The announcement came as North Korean state media said leader Kim Jong Un had personally supervised Monday's missile launches, stepping up threats against Washington as U.S. troops conduct joint military exercises with South Korea.
"Continued provocative actions by North Korea, to include yesterday's launch of multiple missiles, only confirm the prudence of our alliance decision last year to deploy THAAD to South Korea," U.S. Pacific Commander Admiral Harry Harris said in the statement.
The move by the U.S. military is likely to deepen the brewing conflict between South Korea and China, which has angrily opposed the THAAD deployment as destroying regional security balance.
The four ballistic missiles landed in the sea off Japan's northwest, angering Seoul and Tokyo, days after North Korea promised retaliation over the military drills which it sees as preparation for war.
U.S. President Donald Trump and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe discussed the launches during a phone call on Tuesday.
"Japan and the U.S. confirmed that the latest North Korean missile launches were clearly against U.N. resolutions and a clear provocation against the regional and international community," Abe told reporters. "(North Korea's) threat has entered a new phase."
Trump also spoke to South Korea's acting President Hwang Kyo-ahn to discuss the North's missile launches, Hwang's office said.
Related news releases
- 26.04.201714 killed in Taliban attack in Pakistan's tribal belt
- 26.04.2017The United States received a notice from Turkey an hour before operation in Syria and Iraq
- 26.04.2017Turkish jets kill senior PKK member in northern Iraq
- 25.04.2017Ankara court sentences 24 to life for killing Kurdish teen
- 24.04.201726 paramilitary personnel killed in central India
- 24.04.2017Philippines: 36 Maute terrorists killed in clashes
- 24.04.2017Suspected Maoist rebels kill 24 troops in Chhattisgarh
- 24.04.2017Iran to open polls in Azerbaijan for May 19 presidential election
- 23.04.2017Magnitude 5.3 earthquake hits Philippines
- 23.04.2017Saudi king restores civil service and military allowances
- 22.04.2017Turkey condemns terror attack on Afghan army
- 22.04.2017Five killed in road accident in southern Philippines
- 22.04.2017Terrorists launch mortar attack in Damascus
- 22.04.2017Taliban kill '140' troops in Afghan base attack
- 22.04.2017At least 8 killed in eastern India in fighting over control for sandpits
- 21.04.2017U.S. forces kill Islamic State militant linked to Turkey nightclub attack
- 21.04.2017Taliban inflict more than 50 Afghan casualties in base attack, U.S. says - UPDATED
- 21.04.2017İSİL claims responsibility for Paris shooting
- 21.04.2017EU says ready to welcome back UK if it decides to stay
- 20.04.2017Russian officer killed in militant attack on Syrian Army Base - UPDATED
- 20.04.2017Syrian President: "Reports about capture of ISIL leader Baghdadi not true"
- 20.04.2017Pakistan court: Insufficient evidence to remove Sharif
- 20.04.2017Bus-truck collision leaves 11 dead in Iran
- 20.04.2017North Korea says 'don't mess with us' as U.S. plans next move
- 20.04.2017Syria chemical attack undeniable, says OPCW chief
- 20.04.2017At Least 3 Al-Qaeda Militants Killed in Airstrikes in Southern Afghanistan
- 20.04.2017Tillerson: Iran nuclear agreement fails to achieve objectives
- 19.04.2017Iraqi army says third of old western Mosul retaken
- 19.04.2017Australian advisers caught in Mosul chemical attack
- 19.04.2017Pentagon might try to shoot down Pyongyang’s next missile test
- 18.04.2017Daesh car-bomb attack kills 16 in W. Mosul: Iraqi army
- 18.04.2017Iranian president criticizes IRGC for interfering country’s economic affairs
- 18.04.2017285 killed during Myanmar’s water festival
- 18.04.2017Japan may consider deploying troops in case of DPRK missile fall in its waters
- 18.04.2017Hardline Hindu youth call the shots on streets of northern India
- 17.04.2017US and South Korea agree 'early' deployment of THAAD missile defence system
- 16.04.2017Death toll in Syrian blast rises 100 - UPDATED
- 16.04.2017Ahmadinejad: "Iran has nothing to fear from US"
- 16.04.2017N Korea missile launch fails, says South Korea
- 16.04.2017PKK terrorists attack AK Party bus in Van
- 07.03.2017North Korea says temporarily bans Malaysians from leaving the country
- 07.03.2017Japan, US leaders agree to hold 2+2 format talks amid N. Korean missile launches
- 07.03.2017Policeman shot dead in eastern Saudi Arabia
- 07.03.20175 traffic police, 5 civilians killed in renewed fighting in Myanmar
- 07.03.2017Four protesters killed, dozens injured in south eastern Nepal
- 06.03.2017One more Russian serviceman reported dead in Syria