U.S. starts deploying THAAD system in South Korea after North Korea missile test
The United States started to deploy the first elements of its advanced Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) anti-missile system to South Korea following North Korea's test of four ballistic missiles, U.S. Pacific Command said on Tuesday, APA reports quoting Reuters.
The announcement came as North Korean state media said leader Kim Jong Un had personally supervised Monday's missile launches, stepping up threats against Washington as U.S. troops conduct joint military exercises with South Korea.
"Continued provocative actions by North Korea, to include yesterday's launch of multiple missiles, only confirm the prudence of our alliance decision last year to deploy THAAD to South Korea," U.S. Pacific Commander Admiral Harry Harris said in the statement.
The move by the U.S. military is likely to deepen the brewing conflict between South Korea and China, which has angrily opposed the THAAD deployment as destroying regional security balance.
The four ballistic missiles landed in the sea off Japan's northwest, angering Seoul and Tokyo, days after North Korea promised retaliation over the military drills which it sees as preparation for war.
U.S. President Donald Trump and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe discussed the launches during a phone call on Tuesday.
"Japan and the U.S. confirmed that the latest North Korean missile launches were clearly against U.N. resolutions and a clear provocation against the regional and international community," Abe told reporters. "(North Korea's) threat has entered a new phase."
Trump also spoke to South Korea's acting President Hwang Kyo-ahn to discuss the North's missile launches, Hwang's office said.
Related news releases
- 24.09.2017KRG leader rules out delay to referendum schedule
- 23.09.2017Iran says tests new missile, after U.S. criticizes arms program
- 23.09.2017US bombers stage North Korea show of force
- 23.09.2017Turkish parliament ratifies motion on Iraq, Syria - UPDATED
- 23.09.2017Turkish defense minister urges KRG to call off poll
- 23.09.2017Barzani: US Position on Kurdistan’s Independence Vote 'Surprising'
- 23.09.2017Turkey says KRG referendum will have serious consequences
- 23.09.2017First vote cast in Kurdistan independence referendum
- 23.09.2017Iran successfully test-fires new ballistic missile
- 23.09.2017Kurd region poll to be held on schedule: Barzani
- 22.09.2017North Korea's FM: "Pyongyang could test a nuclear weapon in response to Trump's threats of military action"
- 22.09.2017North Korea's Kim says will make 'deranged' Trump pay dearly for UN speech
- 21.09.2017S&P downgrades China's credit ratings
- 21.09.2017Khamenei: Trump’s ‘foolish’ comments on Iran rooted in US defeats in West Asia
- 21.09.2017Troops kill 9 rebels in Northern Philippines Province
- 20.09.2017'Ignorant, absurd, hateful rhetoric' - Iran's president on Trump's un speech
- 20.09.2017Iran publicly hangs man for rape, murder of 7-year-old girl
- 20.09.2017Turkey mulling sanctions over Kurdish referendum
- 19.09.2017Turkish jets kill 3 PKK terrorists in northern Iraq
- 19.09.2017Iran says it will not renegotiate nuclear deal
- 19.09.2017Iraqi Turkmen leader: Barzani plans to annex Kirkuk to Kurdish region
- 19.09.2017Palestine: President, Hamas' Haniyeh talk on phone
- 19.09.2017North Korea: UN sanctions motivate acceleration of nuclear weapon development
- 19.09.2017Turkish president speaks with Iraqi PM on phone
- 18.09.2017Iraq Supreme Court orders suspension of Kurdistan referendum
- 17.09.2017Turkey names new head to religious affairs directorate
- 16.09.2017Car bomb kills one, wounds 10 in disputed Iraqi oil city
- 16.09.2017Iraqi army liberates ISIS-held Akashat town near Syria border
- 16.09.2017Rouhani urges EU to pressure US
- 15.09.2017Islamic State claims responsibility for London blast:
- 15.09.2017Turkish Deputy PM meets Rohingya group's head
- 15.09.2017Seoul holds emergency National Security meeting after North Korean missile test
- 15.09.2017North Korea fires missile over Japan that lands far out in the Pacific
- 14.09.2017At least 50 die in twin attacks in Iraq
- 14.09.2017Airstrikes kill 5 PKK terrorists in eastern Turkey
- 14.09.2017Malaysia’s prime minister calls Myanmar violence genocide
- 14.09.201725 dead in fire at religious school in Malaysia
- 14.09.2017Evacuated Islamic State fighters reach Syria's Deir al-Zor: pro-Damascus commander
- 14.09.2017North Korea accused of raising money by stealing bitcoins in hack attacks
- 13.09.2017Suicide bomb near cricket stadium in Afghan capital kills at least three
- 07.03.2017North Korea says temporarily bans Malaysians from leaving the country
- 07.03.2017Japan, US leaders agree to hold 2+2 format talks amid N. Korean missile launches
- 07.03.2017Policeman shot dead in eastern Saudi Arabia
- 07.03.20175 traffic police, 5 civilians killed in renewed fighting in Myanmar
- 07.03.2017Four protesters killed, dozens injured in south eastern Nepal
- 06.03.2017One more Russian serviceman reported dead in Syria