U.S. starts deploying THAAD system in South Korea after North Korea missile test
The United States started to deploy the first elements of its advanced Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) anti-missile system to South Korea following North Korea's test of four ballistic missiles, U.S. Pacific Command said on Tuesday, APA reports quoting Reuters.
The announcement came as North Korean state media said leader Kim Jong Un had personally supervised Monday's missile launches, stepping up threats against Washington as U.S. troops conduct joint military exercises with South Korea.
"Continued provocative actions by North Korea, to include yesterday's launch of multiple missiles, only confirm the prudence of our alliance decision last year to deploy THAAD to South Korea," U.S. Pacific Commander Admiral Harry Harris said in the statement.
The move by the U.S. military is likely to deepen the brewing conflict between South Korea and China, which has angrily opposed the THAAD deployment as destroying regional security balance.
The four ballistic missiles landed in the sea off Japan's northwest, angering Seoul and Tokyo, days after North Korea promised retaliation over the military drills which it sees as preparation for war.
U.S. President Donald Trump and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe discussed the launches during a phone call on Tuesday.
"Japan and the U.S. confirmed that the latest North Korean missile launches were clearly against U.N. resolutions and a clear provocation against the regional and international community," Abe told reporters. "(North Korea's) threat has entered a new phase."
Trump also spoke to South Korea's acting President Hwang Kyo-ahn to discuss the North's missile launches, Hwang's office said.
Related news releases
- 27.05.2017Over 90 people dead, 110 missing as heavy floods hit Sri Lanka
- 27.05.201720 Houthi rebels killed in southern Yemen
- 26.05.2017Roadside bomb claims 10 civilians in Afghanistan
- 26.05.2017Philippine president urges IS-linked rebels to halt siege, start talks
- 26.05.2017OPEC cuts extension encourages oil bulls amid Asian supply-side concerns
- 26.05.2017China to build global navigation satellite system by 2020
- 25.05.2017Manila deploys commandoes, helicopters to retake city from rebels
- 25.05.2017105 civilians killed in US airstrike in Mosul
- 25.05.2017Nepalese PM resigns ahead of final round of local polls
- 24.05.2017Suspected suicide bombers kill 3 police officers, wound 10 in Jakarta - UPDATED
- 24.05.2017Syrian army says Islamic State's 'minister of war' killed
- 24.05.20172 soldiers injured in PKK attack in SE Turkey
- 24.05.201722 killed as bus with pilgrims falls into Bhagirathi river in Uttarkashi
- 24.05.2017Philippine president cuts short Russia trip
- 24.05.2017China envoy to UN calls for dialogue with N. Korea without presenting conditions
- 23.05.201732 kindergarten children injured in south China traffic accident
- 23.05.2017US forces killed seven al-Qaeda militants during raid in Yemen
- 23.05.2017Trump says concerns about Iran driving Israel, Arab states closer
- 23.05.2017North Korea says missile ready for mass production, U.S. questions progress
- 23.05.2017South Korea says Pyongyang’s new missile not capable of reaching US territory
- 23.05.2017Coalition raid kills Daesh militants in Iraq’s W. Mosul
- 23.05.2017Cholera death toll in Yemen rises to 350
- 22.05.2017Turkish military kills 4 PKK terrorists in N. Iraq
- 22.05.2017Rouhani says regional stability impossible without Iran
- 22.05.2017Trump: 'Iran will never have a nuclear weapon'
- 22.05.2017Cholera outbreak claims 315 lives in Yemen
- 22.05.2017Tehran slams Trump’s speech in Saudi Arabia
- 21.05.20174 suspected Baloch separatists killed in SW Pakistan
- 20.05.2017Indian court acquits Muslim scholar in train blast case
- 20.05.2017US, Saudi Arabia sign $110B arms deal amid Trump visit
- 20.05.2017Hassan Rouhani says Iran wants interaction with the world
- 20.05.20176 dead as armed militants storm bank in Afghanistan
- 20.05.2017Iranian Interior Ministry: Hassan Rouhani wins presidential elections
- 20.05.2017Trump arrives in Saudi Arabia in first foreign trip
- 20.05.2017Hassan Rouhani re-elected as Iranian president
- 20.05.2017Magnitude 5.9 quake strikes off Philippines
- 20.05.2017At least 13 killed in Iraq car bombings
- 20.05.2017Rouhani leads Iran presidential race, expected to win: source
- 20.05.2017North Korea's UN envoy slams 'hostile' US policy
- 20.05.20173 Iraqi soldiers killed in southern Basra city
- 07.03.2017North Korea says temporarily bans Malaysians from leaving the country
- 07.03.2017Japan, US leaders agree to hold 2+2 format talks amid N. Korean missile launches
- 07.03.2017Policeman shot dead in eastern Saudi Arabia
- 07.03.20175 traffic police, 5 civilians killed in renewed fighting in Myanmar
- 07.03.2017Four protesters killed, dozens injured in south eastern Nepal
- 06.03.2017One more Russian serviceman reported dead in Syria