Two die in Iran quake panic
An elderly woman and a young girl died and nearly 100 people were injured as a 5.2 magnitude earthquake sparked panic in the Iranian capital and neighbouring areas, officials said Thursday, APA reported citing AFP.
The epicentre of the quake, which struck shortly before 11:30 pm (2000 GMT) on Wednesday, was just 40 kilometres (25 miles) west of the capital, according to the seismological centre of the University of Tehran.
"A 70-year-old woman died after suffering a heart attack and a 10--year-old died of elevated stress," the head of Iran's hospital emergency services, Mojtaba Khaledi, told the ISNA news agency.
The head of the Iranian Red Crescent's Relief and Rescue Organisation, Morteza Salimi, said 97 people were injured.
Khaledi said around 50 of those were admitted to hospital.
The quake caused no major damage but tens of thousands of people spent the night outside for fear of aftershocks.
Related news releases
- 21.04.2018Japan’s Abe lauds North Korea move to end nuclear tests
- 21.04.2018Israeli troops kill four Palestinians in border protest
- 21.04.2018North Korea says will stop nuclear tests, scrap test site
- 21.04.2018Twenty killed in air strike in southwest Yemen: residents
- 21.04.2018Tehran warns Israel: Our ‘hands are on the trigger’
- 20.04.201829 Daesh terrorists killed in Iraq by airstrikes
- 20.04.2018Turkish court remands 3 senior FETO members
- 20.04.2018Four Saudi security forces killed by gunmen in southern province
- 19.04.2018U.N. team fired upon in Syria while visiting suspected chemical sites
- 18.04.2018Peace treaty with North Korea possible following denuclearization
- 18.04.2018Iranian helicopter crashes into Persian Gulf
- 17.04.2018Putin, Merkel discuss Syria — Kremlin
- 14.04.2018Rouhani, Assad hold phone conversation
- 14.04.2018Ali Khamenei accuses US, France and Britain of crime
- 14.04.2018Iranian FM: US, British, French aggression on Syria breaches international laws
- 14.04.2018Israel: Strikes in Syria an 'important signal' to Iran, Syria and Hezbollah
- 14.04.2018Syrian air defenses shot down 13 missiles: state TV
- 14.04.2018Israel says Iranian drone it shot down in February was carrying explosives
- 13.04.2018Russia claims chemical attack in Syria was 'staged and directed by UK'
- 12.04.2018Turkish army neutralizes 3 PKK/PYD-YPG terrorists
- 12.04.2018At least 16 killed by bombing to the north of Baghdad
- 12.04.2018Russian MFA: Israeli air force’s missile strikes on Syria coincident with intensified activities of ISIS
- 12.04.2018Erdogan: Supporters of murderous Assad and PYD are mistaken
- 12.04.2018Israel warns Iran not to test its determination
- 11.04.2018Saudi-led coalition says it does not seek permanent Yemen presence
- 10.04.2018Seven Myanmar soldiers sentenced to 10 years for Rohingya massacre
- 10.04.2018Iraq to take "all necessary measures" to prevent IS attacks from Syria, PM says
- 10.04.2018Iran’s Zarif dismisses Trump’s Syria chemical attack comments
- 10.04.2018Erdogan: Perpetrators of E. Ghouta massacre to pay 'heavy price'
- 10.04.20184 Saudi soldiers die along Yemen's border
- 10.04.2018North Korea tells U.S. it is prepared to discuss denuclearization
- 10.04.2018As prince visits, Saudi Aramco to sign $10 billion of deals in France
- 10.04.2018Syria: 15 reported killed, 36 injured in Idlib blast
- 09.04.2018Russian military: no traces of chemical attack in Syria's Douma
- 09.04.201826 children dead as school bus falls into gorge in India
- 09.04.2018Syrian T-4 airfield hit by Israel’s F-15 jets – Russian Defense Ministry
- 08.04.2018Afghan air strike kills IS commander
- 07.04.2018US Embassy vehicle kills motorcyclist in Pakistan
- 07.04.2018China's state media says U.S. tariff action will be defeated
- 07.04.2018Russia says it will respond firmly to new U.S. sanctions
- 21.12.2017Israel's Netanyahu calls U.N. 'house of lies' before Jerusalem vote
- 21.12.2017Myanmar general hit by US sanctions
- 21.12.20175.2-magnitude quake hits Iran
- 21.12.2017Several injured when car hits pedestrians in Australia's Melbourne
- 21.12.2017South Korean coast guard fires 249 shots at ‘swarming’ Chinese ships
- 21.12.2017Saudi-led coalition says to keep port open, air strikes kill at least 9 Yemenis