Turkish military, Free Syrian Army free another village
Turkish soldiers and Free Syrian Army (FSA) fighters liberated a village in western Afrin from PYD/PKK terrorists during ongoing Operation Olive Branch in northwestern Syria on Saturday, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
The village of Deir Ballut in Jandaris, western Afrin, was cleared of all PYD/PKK terrorists.
Since the operation began, Turkish forces and the FSA have liberated a total of 47 zones, including 30 villages and 13 strategic mountains or hills.
Turkey on Jan. 20 launched Operation Olive Branch to remove PYD/PKK and Daesh terrorists from Afrin.
According to the Turkish General Staff, the operation aims to establish security and stability along Turkey’s borders and the region as well as protect Syrian people from terrorist cruelty and oppression.
The operation is being carried out under the framework of Turkey’s rights based on international law, UN Security Council resolutions, its self-defense rights under the UN charter, and respect for Syria's territorial integrity, the military said.
The military has also said that only terrorist targets are being destroyed and "utmost care" is being shown to avoid harming civilians.
Afrin has been a major hideout for the PYD/PKK since July 2012 when the Assad regime in Syria left the city to the terror group without a fight.
Related news releases
- 23.05.2018Israeli air strikes target boat moored in Gaza
- 23.05.2018North Korea allows South Korea reporters to visit nuclear site
- 23.05.2018Saudi Arabia expands crackdown on women's rights activists
- 23.05.2018Iraqi PM rules out fresh polls amid rigging allegations
- 22.05.2018Iran ‘ready to return to pre-nuke deal era’: Official
- 22.05.2018Airstrike neutralizes 6 PKK terrorists in E. Turkey
- 22.05.20182 Turkish soldiers martyred in northern Iraq
- 22.05.2018Over 60 die of heatstroke in Pakistan's largest city
- 21.05.2018Palestine’s Abbas to leave hospital soon: PLO official
- 21.05.2018Vietnam says Chinese bombers in disputed South China Sea increase tensions
- 21.05.2018Iran's presence in Syria at Damascus' demand: Tehran
- 20.05.2018South Korea's LG Group chairman dies at 73
- 20.05.2018Mushrooms Poison Hundreds in Iran
- 19.05.2018China to increase purchase of US goods to support employment in US - White House - UPDATED
- 19.05.2018Blasts at Afghan cricket match kill eight spectators
- 19.05.2018Blasts at Afghan sports stadium kill as many as eight-officials
- 19.05.2018Two North Koreans including a soldier defect to South Korea
- 18.05.2018Iran calls on Muslims to revise trade ties with U.S. after Jerusalem move
- 18.05.2018Saudi Arabia, UAE, Russia to discuss oil supplies following US withdrawal from JCPOA
- 18.05.2018Russia, Syria can start work to rebuild Syrian economy, says Putin
- 17.05.20185 suspected bombers killed in southwest Pakistan
- 16.05.2018Israel summons Turkey's charge d'affaires
- 16.05.2018Israel says Hamas curbed Gaza protests after Egyptian warning
- 16.05.2018Turkish parliament speaker: Gulf states should influence Trump in Palestinian issue
- 16.05.2018DPRK says not interested in negotiations that require only denuclearization - UPDATED
- 16.05.2018Seven dead, 30 feared trapped after part of flyover collapses in Indian city
- 16.05.2018Seoul regrets Pyongyang's decision to suspend high level inter-Korean talks
- 15.05.2018Iran wants guarantees from EU that JCPOA would be beneficial for It - Zarif
- 15.05.2018Israel asks Turkish envoy in Palestine to leave country
- 15.05.2018N Korea suspends talks with South over their joint drills with US
- 15.05.2018Palestinian leader Abbas hospitalized for surgery
- 15.05.2018Palestinian Death Toll in Gaza Rises to 59 - UPDATED
- 15.05.2018Fiery cleric Sadr taps anger over Iran to lead Iraq poll
- 15.05.2018Hezbollah says rocket attack on Israeli-occupied Golan marks 'new phase'
- 15.05.2018Netanyahu calls Israeli actions in Gaza self-defense against Hamas
- 14.05.2018Kuwait seeks UN Securtity Council meeting over Gaza
- 14.05.2018Oil gains on OPEC report; U.S. crude discount to Brent deepens
- 14.05.2018At least 52 Palestinians killed by Israeli army at Gaza border - UPDATED-4
- 14.05.2018U.S. embassy opens in Jerusalem
- 13.05.2018Daesh-inspired group carried out deadly suicide attacks in Indonesia
- 10.02.20182 Turkish pilots martyred in Syria helicopter crash
- 10.02.201827 reported dead in bus crash in Indonesia
- 10.02.201848 Daesh-linked suspects arrested across Turkey
- 10.02.2018North Korea's Kim Jong-un invites South Korean president to Pyongyang
- 10.02.2018South Korea's Moon hosts talks with North Korean leader's sister
- 10.02.2018Pence avoids Olympics encounter with North Korean official as Korean athletes march together