Turkish army chief inspects troops in border province
Turkey’s army chief on Saturday visited Yuksekova district in the eastern border province of Hakkari to inspect troops taking part in the ongoing counter-terrorism operations in northern Iraq, APA reports quoting AA.
Chief of General Staff Gen. Hulusi Akar was briefed by the commanders on duty in the region.
He issued orders and attended an iftar (fast-breaking) dinner.
He was accompanied by commanders of the Turkish Land and Air Forces, Gens. Yasar Guler and Hasan Kucukakyuz, and Naval Forces Commander Adm. Adnan Ozbal.
Akar said terrorists posing threat and danger to the country are being “neutralized” through trench operations, Euphrates Shield and Olive Branch operations, and military action in northern Iraq.
Turkish authorities use the term "neutralized" to imply that the terrorists in question either surrendered, or were killed or captured.
On Jan. 20, Turkey launched Operation Olive Branch to remove YPG/PKK and Daesh terrorists from northwestern Syria's Afrin region.
On March 18, day 58 of the operation, Turkish troops and Free Syrian Army members liberated the town of Afrin.
- 24.06.2018Russian military demines Syria's Al-Naseriyah, South Douma
- 24.06.2018Senior Iranian Commander killed in Syria
- 24.06.2018Landmark day for Saudi women as kingdom's controversial driving ban ends
- 23.06.2018Turkey neutralizes at least 11 PKK terrorists in ops
- 23.06.20186 killed in landslide in Myanmar's northernmost state
- 22.06.2018Turkish army neutralizes 87 PKK terrorists in a week
- 22.06.2018Saudi-led coalition faces tough battle for Yemen's Hodeidah port
- 21.06.2018Trump: North Korea blowing up test sites, 'total denuclearization...has already started'
- 21.06.2018Syria’s Idlib rocked by twin bombings; 5 killed
- 21.06.2018North Korea preparing to destroy ICBM test site
- 21.06.201810 killed in road accident in NW Pakistan
- 21.06.2018Turkish airstrikes cause serious losses to PKK in Iraq
- 20.06.2018More than 240 undocumented migrants held across Turkey
- 20.06.2018Iran says no plans to increase missile range, rejects talks with Trump
- 20.06.2018North Korea expected to begin transferring remains of U.S. troops soon: officials
- 20.06.2018North Korea, China discuss 'true peace', denuclearization: KCNA
- 20.06.2018Uzbekistan starts direct negotiations with Taliban
- 20.06.2018Afghan president offers year of ceasefire to Taliban
- 19.06.2018Iran rules out OPEC deal as Russia, Saudi push for oil output hike
- 19.06.2018Russia, Saudi push for big hike in oil output despite Iran opposition
- 19.06.2018MERS kills scores in Saudi Arabia
- 19.06.2018North Korea's Kim in China; U.S., South Korea suspend military drill
- 19.06.2018US, Turkey start patrols in Manbij
- 19.06.2018Jordan’s king, Israeli PM hold discussions in Amman
- 18.06.2018Six Iraqis killed in Daesh ambush near Mosul: Official
- 18.06.2018US airstrikes kill 22 Hashd al-Shaabi fighters in Iraq
- 18.06.2018Turkish soldiers enter outer districts of north Syria's Manbij
- 16.06.2018Turkey hits 'critical gathering' of PKK in north Iraq
- 16.06.2018Blast taints cease-fire in Afghanistan, 20 killed
- 15.06.2018Yemen gov’t forces take Al-Hudaydah’s southern entrance
- 14.06.2018Kashmiri journalist shot dead
- 14.06.2018Moon celebrates peace as Koreas hold military talks
- 13.06.2018Arab states launch biggest assault of Yemen war with attack on main port
- 13.06.2018Russian military seize arms cache in Syria’s Homs province
- 13.06.2018Iraq: Al-Sadr allies with Fatah to form majority group
- 12.06.2018Trump: North Korea sanctions will remain, but ‘war games’ to end
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim sign document following Singapore meeting
- 12.06.2018Ex-NBA star Rodman bursts in tears after historic Trump, Kim handshake
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim complete extended format talks - UPDATED-1
- 12.06.2018U.S. unveils de facto embassy in Taiwan amid China tensions
- 22.12.2016Kremlin: Killing Karlov 'stab in the back' for Turkey
- 22.12.20164 Jordanian police killed in clash with gunmen during raid
- 22.12.2016At least 140 buildings on fire in wind-swept blaze in Japan
- 21.12.2016Three Turkish soldiers killed in clashes with ISIL in Syria
- 21.12.2016John Kerry raised concerns with Turkey over alleged US support for envoy murder
- 20.12.2016Militant attack in S. Jordan leaves 4 security men dead