Turkey strongly condemns attack against lawmaker in Iraq
Baku-APA. Turkey strongly condemned a bombing attack that targeted and killed a Sunni lawmaker in western Iraq on Tuesday amidst the festering tension in the politically fragile country as protests against the central government in Baghdad still continue in various cities, APA reports quoting Turkish media.
The governor of Anbar province, Qassim al-Fahdawi, said that lawmaker Ifan Saadoun was killed when a suicide bomber blew himself up in the restive city of Fallujah.
The parliamentarian was part of the Sunni-backed Iraqiya bloc, which holds some posts in Iraq's loose power-sharing government but is at the same time the main force in opposition to Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki's administration.
Ankara stated that the attack is not an isolated case as it came after another attack that targeted Iraq's finance minister on Sunday.
A roadside bomb hit Iraqi Finance Minister Rafaie al-Esawi's convoy west of Baghdad as he left a meeting on Sunday, wounding two of his guards, his office and security sources said.
Both attacks, a statement from Turkish foreign ministry stated, target the political unity of the country and aims to bring civil war back to Iraq, which is still recovering from a long war.
Turkish foreign ministry underlined that it is crucial that perpetrators of the attacks should be brought to justice as soon as possible.
Related news releases
- 28.09.2016PKK terror attack in SE Turkey claims fifth victim
- 28.09.2016Former Israeli leader Shimon Peres dies aged 93
- 28.09.2016Violent protests over road deaths rock Kenyan capital
- 28.09.2016Former Israeli president Shimon Peres in grave condition: media
- 27.09.2016OPEC set for no deal as Iran rejects Saudi oil output offer
- 27.09.2016Turkey hits dozens of Daesh targets in northern Syria
- 27.09.2016Russian warplanes pound Aleppo neighborhood, six killed
- 27.09.2016After polls, Jordan king tasks PM with forming new govt
- 27.09.20164 Daesh terrorists killed in airstrikes in Syria
- 25.09.2016Turkish military hits 54 Daesh targets in N Syria
- 24.09.2016Taliban controls 10 percent of Afghanistan: US
- 23.09.2016Brotherhood-linked bloc wins 15 seats in Jordan polls
- 23.09.2016US, Russia fail to agree on how to revive Syria ceasefire
- 23.09.2016Magnitude 6.4 earthquake strikes off Japan’s southeastern coast
- 22.09.2016PYD/PKK is replacing İSİS in northern Syria
- 22.09.2016Nearly 3,000 Syrians back home in Jarabulus from Turkey
- 22.09.2016Assad: US airstrikes on Syrian troops were ‘intentional’
- 22.09.2016Saudi-led coalition air strike kills at least six in Yemen
- 22.09.2016Iraq: Embattled Finance Minister Zebari sacked
- 20.09.2016Soldier martyred in PKK clash in eastern Turkey
- 20.09.2016Saudia Airlines from Jeddah ‘under threat’, placed in isolation at Manila airport
- 20.09.2016Israel says good relations with Turkey can contribute to regional stability
- 20.09.2016Kyrgyz president cancels UN trip due to chest pains
- 20.09.2016Iraqi PM announces operation to retake Shirqat, south of Mosul
- 20.09.2016Israeli forces kill two Palestinians in alleged stabbing attempt in West Bank
- 19.09.2016Air strikes hit aid trucks near Aleppo: monitors and resident
- 19.09.2016Syria ceasefire near collapse
- 19.09.2016Syrian army declares end of ceasefire
- 18.09.2016US airstrikes in Deir ez-Zor "open aggression" — Syrian command
- 18.09.2016Samsung Electronics says sold shares in four companies
- 18.09.2016Gunmen kill two policemen in Saudi Eastern province
- 17.09.2016At least 80 Syrian soldiers killed by U.S.-led air strike: monitor
- 17.09.2016Russian Defense Ministry confirms two F-16 Jets and two A10 Aircraft attacked Syrian army
- 17.09.2016Damascus Accuses US-Led Coalition of Bombing Syrian Army in Deir Ez-Zor
- 17.09.2016Air strike kills another senior IS group leader, Pentagon says
- 17.09.2016Earthquake of 5.9 magnitude hits Indonesia
- 16.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev completed Kyrgyzstan visit
- 16.09.2016Pakistan suicide bomb attack kills more than 20
- 16.09.2016Suicide bomber kills at least 16 people in Pakistan mosque
- 16.09.2016North Korea improving Missile Technology, could take more provocative action soon
- 15.01.2013US plays down Afghan threat to Central Asia
- 16.01.2013No foreign spies in bloody Taksim event, MİT says
- 16.01.2013Turkish gov't change method in talks with PKK
- 15.01.201380 killed in two explosions at Aleppo University
- 15.01.2013Tent fire in Turkish border town kills 4 Syrians
- 15.01.2013Jordan Islamists to step up anti-election campaign