Turkey strongly condemns attack against lawmaker in Iraq
Baku-APA. Turkey strongly condemned a bombing attack that targeted and killed a Sunni lawmaker in western Iraq on Tuesday amidst the festering tension in the politically fragile country as protests against the central government in Baghdad still continue in various cities, APA reports quoting Turkish media.
The governor of Anbar province, Qassim al-Fahdawi, said that lawmaker Ifan Saadoun was killed when a suicide bomber blew himself up in the restive city of Fallujah.
The parliamentarian was part of the Sunni-backed Iraqiya bloc, which holds some posts in Iraq's loose power-sharing government but is at the same time the main force in opposition to Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki's administration.
Ankara stated that the attack is not an isolated case as it came after another attack that targeted Iraq's finance minister on Sunday.
A roadside bomb hit Iraqi Finance Minister Rafaie al-Esawi's convoy west of Baghdad as he left a meeting on Sunday, wounding two of his guards, his office and security sources said.
Both attacks, a statement from Turkish foreign ministry stated, target the political unity of the country and aims to bring civil war back to Iraq, which is still recovering from a long war.
Turkish foreign ministry underlined that it is crucial that perpetrators of the attacks should be brought to justice as soon as possible.
Related news releases
- 01.09.2016Key Islamic State leader killed in apparent U.S. strike in Syria
- 31.08.2016Air strike kills 16 members of Yemeni imam's family
- 31.08.2016Iran's Khamenei says need to boost offensive military capabilities
- 31.08.2016IS speaker killed by Russian airstrike in Syria — defense ministry
- 31.08.2016Former senior IGRC officer killed in Syria
- 31.08.2016Earthquake measuring 6.8 magnitude strikes off Rabaul in Papua New Guinea
- 31.08.2016North Korea executes vice premier for education
- 31.08.2016Nine found dead in Japan elderly home after typhoon
- 31.08.2016South Korea September manufacturing sentiment steps up to one-and-a-half year high
- 31.08.2016Islamic State leader in charge of foreign attacks killed in Syria
- 30.08.2016Turkish tank hit by rocket, 3 soldiers injured in Syria's Jarablus
- 30.08.2016North Korea executes two officials 'with anti-aircraft gun'
- 30.08.2016North Korea publicly executes two officials
- 30.08.2016Kerry pays whirlwind visit to Bangladesh
- 30.08.2016Obama, Erdogan to meet Sunday amid tensions
- 30.08.2016Pro-govt forces claim to make gains in Yemen’s Taiz
- 30.08.2016Suicide bomber kills 54 in Yemen attack: health ministry
- 30.08.2016Rockets hit Saudi border town as Yemen war flares anew
- 29.08.2016Iran deploys Russian-made S-300 missiles at its Fordow nuclear site
- 29.08.2016Suicide attack in Iraq’s Karbala leaves 15 dead
- 29.08.2016At least 65 killed in Yemen suicide bombing
- 28.08.2016Turkish soldier martyred in PYD attack in north Syria
- 28.08.2016Turkish warplanes destroy ammunition depot in northern Syria
- 27.08.2016Turkish jets bomb YPG positions in Syria
- 27.08.201622 Daesh militants killed in Iraq
- 27.08.2016OPEC export revenues lowest in more than a decade
- 26.08.2016PKK attack martyrs 11 police officers in SE Turkey - UPDATED
- 26.08.201620 killed, 17 injured in central Nepal bus accident
- 26.08.20165.8-magnitude quake hits Izu Islands, Japan region
- 25.08.2016US Navy Ship fired warning shots at Iranian Fast Boat
- 25.08.2016Separatists kill 6 paramilitary troops in SW Pakistan
- 25.08.2016Twelve people killed in American University attack - UPDATED
- 25.08.2016Palestinian Foreign Ministry urges U.S. to ban citizens from trespassing Al-Aqsa Mosque
- 25.08.2016North Korea fires submarine-launched ballistic missile towards Japan
- 24.08.2016Israeli soldier shoots dead Palestinian driver in West Bank
- 24.08.2016Turkey-assisted Free Syrian Army captures 4 villages from ISIL
- 24.08.2016Syrian foreign ministry condemns Turkish incursion
- 24.08.2016North Korea Fires Ballistic Missile From Submarine
- 24.08.2016Putin to visit Turkey on 31 August
- 24.08.2016Turkish army, coalition forces launch anti-ISIS operation
- 15.01.2013US plays down Afghan threat to Central Asia
- 16.01.2013No foreign spies in bloody Taksim event, MİT says
- 16.01.2013Turkish gov't change method in talks with PKK
- 15.01.201380 killed in two explosions at Aleppo University
- 15.01.2013Tent fire in Turkish border town kills 4 Syrians
- 15.01.2013Jordan Islamists to step up anti-election campaign