Turkey strongly condemns attack against lawmaker in Iraq
Baku-APA. Turkey strongly condemned a bombing attack that targeted and killed a Sunni lawmaker in western Iraq on Tuesday amidst the festering tension in the politically fragile country as protests against the central government in Baghdad still continue in various cities, APA reports quoting Turkish media.
The governor of Anbar province, Qassim al-Fahdawi, said that lawmaker Ifan Saadoun was killed when a suicide bomber blew himself up in the restive city of Fallujah.
The parliamentarian was part of the Sunni-backed Iraqiya bloc, which holds some posts in Iraq's loose power-sharing government but is at the same time the main force in opposition to Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki's administration.
Ankara stated that the attack is not an isolated case as it came after another attack that targeted Iraq's finance minister on Sunday.
A roadside bomb hit Iraqi Finance Minister Rafaie al-Esawi's convoy west of Baghdad as he left a meeting on Sunday, wounding two of his guards, his office and security sources said.
Both attacks, a statement from Turkish foreign ministry stated, target the political unity of the country and aims to bring civil war back to Iraq, which is still recovering from a long war.
Turkish foreign ministry underlined that it is crucial that perpetrators of the attacks should be brought to justice as soon as possible.
Related news releases
- 23.10.20161 police martyred, 10 injured in PKK attack in eastern Turkey
- 23.10.2016Anadolu Agency team under fire in Iraq's Kirkuk
- 22.10.2016Hundreds treated over toxic fumes in Iraq
- 22.10.2016At least 80 killed in IS assault on Kirkuk
- 22.10.2016US-Led coalition strikes funeral procession in Iraqi town - Russian MoD
- 22.10.2016CNN: ISIS executes hundreds of Mosul area residents
- 22.10.2016U.S. says it killed 8 al Qaeda-affiliated militants in Yemen
- 21.10.2016Turkmen TV worker killed by Daesh in Iraq’s Kirkuk
- 21.10.2016Militants constantly attack all humanitarian corridors in Aleppo
- 20.10.2016Three Russian officers wounded in militants' fire near Aleppo
- 20.10.2016Iraqi troops liberate town of Bartella
- 20.10.2016Another North Korea intermediate range missile fails after launch
- 20.10.2016Typhoon Haima approaches south China
- 20.10.2016Oil station fire kills 1 at Saudi
- 19.10.2016Two American advisers killed, three wounded by shooter in Afghan capital
- 19.10.2016OIC lists FETO as terrorist organization
- 19.10.2016Japan is considering the possibility of dispute with Russia Kuril Islands
- 19.10.2016Saudi Arabia executes prince for murder
- 18.10.2016Iran sentences 2 Americans to 10-year prison terms
- 18.10.2016Turkish Air Force to join Mosul operation: Defense Min. - UPDATED
- 18.10.2016Turkish defense minister: Syrian war in a 'new phase'
- 18.10.2016Three Iranian ministers resign
- 18.10.2016Yemen ceasefire set to start on Wednesday night: U.N envoy
- 18.10.201623 die in hospital fire in eastern India
- 18.10.20162 die in residential highrise fire in Mumbai
- 18.10.201613 killed in airstrikes on rebel-held area in Syria's Aleppo
- 18.10.2016Yemeni president agrees to 72-hour ceasefire, foreign minister says
- 18.10.2016Death toll from Japanese encephalitis in India's Odisha rises to 54
- 17.10.2016Saudi Arabia says prepared for ceasefire in Yemen if Houthis agree
- 17.10.2016Kuwait cabinet calls for parliament polls in November
- 16.10.20164 killed after ferry capsizes in northwestern Myanmar
- 16.10.2016US military 'begins shelling' ISIS in Iraq's Mosul
- 15.10.2016Turkish President: "People of Mosul not to be left to their fates"
- 15.10.2016Suicide bombing, shootouts kill around 55 in Iraq
- 15.10.2016Members of terrorist group arrested in Iran
- 15.10.2016Turkey-backed Syrian rebels attack ISIS’s Dabiq
- 15.10.2016Saudi solider killed in shooting at Saudi-Yemeni border
- 15.10.2016DPRK accuses UK of openly joining U.S.-South Korea war games
- 14.10.2016Five killed in spate of Baghdad bombings
- 14.10.2016Israel suspends cooperation with UNESCO over Jerusalem draft
- 15.01.2013US plays down Afghan threat to Central Asia
- 16.01.2013No foreign spies in bloody Taksim event, MİT says
- 16.01.2013Turkish gov't change method in talks with PKK
- 15.01.201380 killed in two explosions at Aleppo University
- 15.01.2013Tent fire in Turkish border town kills 4 Syrians
- 15.01.2013Jordan Islamists to step up anti-election campaign