Turkey strongly condemns attack against lawmaker in Iraq
Baku-APA. Turkey strongly condemned a bombing attack that targeted and killed a Sunni lawmaker in western Iraq on Tuesday amidst the festering tension in the politically fragile country as protests against the central government in Baghdad still continue in various cities, APA reports quoting Turkish media.
The governor of Anbar province, Qassim al-Fahdawi, said that lawmaker Ifan Saadoun was killed when a suicide bomber blew himself up in the restive city of Fallujah.
The parliamentarian was part of the Sunni-backed Iraqiya bloc, which holds some posts in Iraq's loose power-sharing government but is at the same time the main force in opposition to Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki's administration.
Ankara stated that the attack is not an isolated case as it came after another attack that targeted Iraq's finance minister on Sunday.
A roadside bomb hit Iraqi Finance Minister Rafaie al-Esawi's convoy west of Baghdad as he left a meeting on Sunday, wounding two of his guards, his office and security sources said.
Both attacks, a statement from Turkish foreign ministry stated, target the political unity of the country and aims to bring civil war back to Iraq, which is still recovering from a long war.
Turkish foreign ministry underlined that it is crucial that perpetrators of the attacks should be brought to justice as soon as possible.
Related news releases
- 03.12.2016Malaysia says Myanmar violence against Muslim Rohingya 'ethnic cleansing'
- 03.12.2016South Korea opposition introduces bill to impeach scandal-tainted Park
- 03.12.2016Philippines' Duterte gets Trump White House invite during 'animated' call
- 02.12.2016Iran says U.S. extension of sanctions act violates nuclear deal
- 02.12.2016Iran develops bill banning import of US-made goods
- 02.12.2016Japan to impose additional sanctions on North Korea
- 01.12.2016Attack on military camp forces India to expedite tech
- 01.12.2016Thailand's crown prince becomes country's new king
- 01.12.2016Training plane crashes in Iran
- 01.12.2016Lavrov: Air strikes on Turkish soldiers carried out by neither Russia nor Syria
- 01.12.2016Another Abian para; case suspected in central Japan
- 30.11.2016U.N. imposes new sanctions on North Korea to slash cash from exports
- 30.11.2016Erdogan discusses Syrian issue with Putin over telephone
- 30.11.2016SKorea opposition parties discuss when to impeach president
- 30.11.201620,000 Syrians have fled east Aleppo this week: Red Cross
- 30.11.2016Contact lost with 2 Turkish soldiers in Syria's north
- 30.11.2016At Least 7 Indian Servicemen Killed in Attack on Military Camp in Jammu
- 29.11.2016Dorm fire kills 12 students, injures 22 in southern Turkey - UPDATED
- 29.11.2016PKK affiliate claims terrorist attack in Turkey's Adana
- 29.11.2016Afghan general dies in helicopter crash
- 29.11.2016ISIL commander killed in Iran
- 29.11.2016Israel completes int’l fire-fighting ops against wildfires
- 29.11.2016Scientists record biggest ever coral die-off on Australia's Great Barrier Reef
- 29.11.20163 killed, 8 injured in Baghdad bomb attack
- 29.11.2016U.N. Security Council to vote Wednesday on North Korea sanctions: diplomats
- 27.11.2016Armed groups continue to bomb town in northern Myanmar
- 27.11.2016Seven dead and one missing after boating accident in New Zealand
- 27.11.2016Iran said to assess 1.1M barrel-a-day collective OPEC cut
- 27.11.2016Israeli PM thanks Palestinian president for help in fighting fires
- 27.11.2016Erdogan, Putin discuss Syria situation over phone
- 27.11.2016Terror attack on soldier's family kills 1 in SE Turkey
- 26.11.2016Pakistan names new military leader
- 26.11.2016Hassan Rouhani: "Iran and Turkey need to cooperate to resolve crises in Syria, Iraq"
- 26.11.2016Soldier martyred in PKK attack in southeastern Turkey
- 26.11.2016Turkish FM travels to Iran, meets with President Rouhani
- 26.11.2016Iran Supreme Court cancels billionaire’s death sentence
- 26.11.2016Quake strikes China, Tajikistan border; kills at least one
- 26.11.2016Blast noise in southeast Turkey possibly caused by jets: governor's office
- 26.11.2016Indonesia arrests militant planning bomb strike on Myanmar embassy
- 26.11.20166.7-magnitude earthquake hits Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region
- 15.01.2013US plays down Afghan threat to Central Asia
- 16.01.2013No foreign spies in bloody Taksim event, MİT says
- 16.01.2013Turkish gov't change method in talks with PKK
- 15.01.201380 killed in two explosions at Aleppo University
- 15.01.2013Tent fire in Turkish border town kills 4 Syrians
- 15.01.2013Jordan Islamists to step up anti-election campaign