Terrorists force Afrin residents to dig ditches
Terrorists are using civilians to dig kilometer-long ditches to block operations by Turkish-led forces in Afrin, northwestern Syria, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
Local security sources who spoke on condition of anonymity due to restrictions on talking to the media told Anadolu Agency on Tuesday that YPG/PKK-Daesh terrorists are trying to increase fortifications in Afrin and are preparing new tactics.
The sources said the terrorist groups force residents, including children, to dig two-meter deep and two-meter wide ditches around Afrin’s center and build three-meter high defensive walls, making living conditions more difficult for local residents.
Using the civilians as human shields, the terrorists are preventing residents who demand to leave the city from heading for safer places.
They are also trying to portray the city as a "so-called Kurdish canton" with posters and banners of the terror organization hanging in the city center, the sources added.
On Jan. 20, Turkey launched Operation Olive Branch to clear YPG/PKK-Daesh terrorists from the region.
According to the Turkish General Staff, the operation aims to establish security and stability along Turkey’s borders and the region as well as to protect Syrians from terrorist oppression and cruelty.
The operation is being carried out under the framework of Turkey's rights based on international law, UN Security Council resolutions, its self-defense rights under the UN Charter and respect for Syria's territorial integrity.
Both the military and Turkish authorities have repeatedly said that the operation is targeting only terrorist elements and "utmost care" is being taken to avoid harming any civilians.
Related news releases
- 20.03.2018Daesh kills one officer, injures two in northern Iraq
- 18.03.2018Iran security service arrest close ally of ex-president Ahmadinejad
- 17.03.2018Turkish troops reunite in Afrin's north
- 17.03.2018China's parliament re-elects Xi Jinping as president
- 16.03.2018Iran won’t renegotiate 2015 nuke deal: Deputy FM
- 16.03.2018U.S. military helicopter crashes in Iraq with seven aboard
- 14.03.2018Explosion kills 9 in northeast Pakistan
- 14.03.2018Deputy of ex-Iranian president remanded in custody
- 14.03.2018Two civilians killed in Damascus in shelling by militants
- 13.03.2018Iranian official blames UK for London embassy incident
- 13.03.2018Israeli PM Netanyahu urges feuding coalition to remain intact
- 12.03.2018At least 50 dead as Bangladeshi passenger plane crashes at Kathmandu airport - UPDATED-2
- 11.03.2018Military vehicle crash in Turkey martyrs one soldier
- 11.03.2018So-called leaders of YPG/PKK 'fleeing' Afrin
- 10.03.2018Iran expresses protest to UK over incident with embassy in London – FM
- 10.03.20188 terrorists 'neutralized' this week in Turkey, N Iraq
- 10.03.2018North Korean state media quiet on Kim Jong Un's overtures to Trump
- 09.03.2018Iranian farmers stage protest in drought-hit Isfahan
- 08.03.2018Israel will always control Jordan Valley: Netanyahu
- 08.03.2018Military storage unit in Iran explodes
- 06.03.2018Koreas reach 'satisfactory' agreement
- 06.03.2018Iran: We can resume enriching weapons-grade uranium in 'less than 48 hours'
- 05.03.2018'More than 40 militants' killed in Afghanistan
- 05.03.2018Papua New Guinea quake kills 80 people
- 04.03.2018N. Korea warns U.S. not to misjudge intention for talks
- 03.03.2018Saudi Arabia holds first-ever marathon for women
- 03.03.2018Turkish female troops provide backup in Afrin operation
- 03.03.2018North Korea threatens to 'counter' U.S. over military drills
- 03.03.2018Three Australians die, more sick in listeria outbreak tied to melons
- 02.03.2018Saudi Arabia lifts 35-year-long ban on cinemas
- 02.03.2018South Korea plans to send envoy to North Korea soon
- 02.03.20188 Turkish soldiers martyred, 13 wounded in Afrin
- 02.03.2018Iran detains 35 women for going to football match
- 02.03.2018IED blast kills 2 in Afghanistan
- 01.03.2018Iran urges political solution to Yemen, Syria crises
- 01.03.2018Passenger plane makes emergency landing in Kyrgyzstan
- 01.03.2018İSİL-linked suspected couple arrested in SE Turkey
- 01.03.20184 paramilitary troops killed in Pakistan suicide blast
- 28.02.2018Qatari military chief meets with US air force commander
- 28.02.2018Rouhani says all regional countries can think of a ‘great union’ for economy, energy relying on Iran’s power
- 07.03.2018Ex-Iran leader warns of mounting public 'disaffection'
- 07.03.2018Suicide bomber kills Muslim official in Afghan city
- 08.03.2018Israel's El Al seeks U.N. help in bid to fly through Saudi airspace
- 07.03.20181 killed in car bomb blast in Syria's Al-Bab
- 06.03.2018Russian transport plane crashes in Syria
- 06.03.2018Wedding party truck plunges off a bridge in India, killing 25