Terrorists force Afrin residents to dig ditches
Terrorists are using civilians to dig kilometer-long ditches to block operations by Turkish-led forces in Afrin, northwestern Syria, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
Local security sources who spoke on condition of anonymity due to restrictions on talking to the media told Anadolu Agency on Tuesday that YPG/PKK-Daesh terrorists are trying to increase fortifications in Afrin and are preparing new tactics.
The sources said the terrorist groups force residents, including children, to dig two-meter deep and two-meter wide ditches around Afrin’s center and build three-meter high defensive walls, making living conditions more difficult for local residents.
Using the civilians as human shields, the terrorists are preventing residents who demand to leave the city from heading for safer places.
They are also trying to portray the city as a "so-called Kurdish canton" with posters and banners of the terror organization hanging in the city center, the sources added.
On Jan. 20, Turkey launched Operation Olive Branch to clear YPG/PKK-Daesh terrorists from the region.
According to the Turkish General Staff, the operation aims to establish security and stability along Turkey’s borders and the region as well as to protect Syrians from terrorist oppression and cruelty.
The operation is being carried out under the framework of Turkey's rights based on international law, UN Security Council resolutions, its self-defense rights under the UN Charter and respect for Syria's territorial integrity.
Both the military and Turkish authorities have repeatedly said that the operation is targeting only terrorist elements and "utmost care" is being taken to avoid harming any civilians.
Related news releases
- 20.06.2018Iran says no plans to increase missile range, rejects talks with Trump
- 20.06.2018North Korea expected to begin transferring remains of U.S. troops soon: officials
- 20.06.2018North Korea, China discuss 'true peace', denuclearization: KCNA
- 20.06.2018Uzbekistan starts direct negotiations with Taliban
- 20.06.2018Afghan president offers year of ceasefire to Taliban
- 19.06.2018Iran rules out OPEC deal as Russia, Saudi push for oil output hike
- 19.06.2018Russia, Saudi push for big hike in oil output despite Iran opposition
- 19.06.2018MERS kills scores in Saudi Arabia
- 19.06.2018North Korea's Kim in China; U.S., South Korea suspend military drill
- 19.06.2018US, Turkey start patrols in Manbij
- 19.06.2018Jordan’s king, Israeli PM hold discussions in Amman
- 18.06.2018Six Iraqis killed in Daesh ambush near Mosul: Official
- 18.06.2018US airstrikes kill 22 Hashd al-Shaabi fighters in Iraq
- 18.06.2018Turkish soldiers enter outer districts of north Syria's Manbij
- 16.06.2018Turkey hits 'critical gathering' of PKK in north Iraq
- 16.06.2018Blast taints cease-fire in Afghanistan, 20 killed
- 15.06.2018Yemen gov’t forces take Al-Hudaydah’s southern entrance
- 14.06.2018Kashmiri journalist shot dead
- 14.06.2018Moon celebrates peace as Koreas hold military talks
- 13.06.2018Arab states launch biggest assault of Yemen war with attack on main port
- 13.06.2018Russian military seize arms cache in Syria’s Homs province
- 13.06.2018Iraq: Al-Sadr allies with Fatah to form majority group
- 12.06.2018Trump: North Korea sanctions will remain, but ‘war games’ to end
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim sign document following Singapore meeting
- 12.06.2018Ex-NBA star Rodman bursts in tears after historic Trump, Kim handshake
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim complete extended format talks - UPDATED-1
- 12.06.2018U.S. unveils de facto embassy in Taiwan amid China tensions
- 12.06.2018Trump says summit with North Korea's Kim is 'very, very good'
- 12.06.2018North Korea's Kim visits Singapore's sky bar, gardens in surprise evening tour
- 12.06.2018Kim set a deadline for ending summit, prompting earlier exit by Trump
- 12.06.2018Qatar sues United Arab Emirates at UN rights court
- 11.06.2018Former NBA star Rodman arrives in Singapore for Trump-Kim summit
- 11.06.2018Turkey launches anti-PKK ops in Qandil Mountains – Erdogan
- 11.06.2018Iran warns North Korea of US breach of promise
- 10.06.2018Frenchman commits suicide at Mecca - VİDEO
- 10.06.2018Terrorist cell smashed in Northwestern Iran
- 10.06.2018Kim Jong-un Departs for Singapore Summit
- 10.06.2018Civilians killed in Houthi shelling of Saudi Arabia’s Jaza
- 09.06.201814 PKK terrorists ‘neutralized’ in southeastern Turkey
- 09.06.2018Turkish soldier succumbs to injuries after PKK clash
- 07.03.2018Ex-Iran leader warns of mounting public 'disaffection'
- 07.03.2018Suicide bomber kills Muslim official in Afghan city
- 08.03.2018Israel's El Al seeks U.N. help in bid to fly through Saudi airspace
- 07.03.20181 killed in car bomb blast in Syria's Al-Bab
- 06.03.2018Russian transport plane crashes in Syria
- 06.03.2018Wedding party truck plunges off a bridge in India, killing 25