Syrian state media: Israeli missiles hit Syrian air defenses, radar - UPDATED
Israeli missiles fired into Syria during an attack on Thursday hit several Syrian air defense positions, a radar position and an ammunition depot, Syrian state media reported, APA reports quoting Reuters.
State media reported that Syrian air defenses had brought down tens of Israeli missiles but added “some of them managed to target a number of air defense (positions), radar and an ammunition depot,” state news agency SANA said.
It said some Israeli missiles had been brought down south of the city of Homs.
Israel launched dozens of rockets into Syria early on Thursday, destroying a radar installation and hitting an ammunitions dump, Syrian state media reported after Israel’s military said Iranian forces in Syria had shelled one of its outposts near the border, APA reports quoting Reuters, APA reports quoting Reuters.
The scale of Israeli fire was far higher than in previous incidents and Damascus residents described seeing a series of explosions above the city from air defense systems.
Tensions between Israel and Iran have threatened to spill over in Syria, where the Iranian military and allied Shi’ite militia are backing Syrian President Bashar al-Assad in his war against rebels seeking to oust him.
“Air defenses confronted tens of Israeli rockets and some of them reached their target and destroyed one of the radar sites,” Syrian state news agency SANA reported, citing a military source. Another rocket hit an ammunition warehouse, it said.
Asked whether Israel had attacked near Damascus or scrambled communications there, an Israeli military spokeswoman said: “I have no comment on that at this time.”
Syrian state television was broadcasting footage of its air defenses firing at incoming rockets, and playing patriotic songs.
It said Israeli warplanes were firing the rockets from outside Syria’s borders and targeting Baath City in Quneitra province.
Related news releases
- 20.05.2018South Korea's LG Group chairman dies at 73
- 20.05.2018Mushrooms Poison Hundreds in Iran
- 19.05.2018China to increase purchase of US goods to support employment in US - White House - UPDATED
- 19.05.2018Blasts at Afghan cricket match kill eight spectators
- 19.05.2018Blasts at Afghan sports stadium kill as many as eight-officials
- 19.05.2018Two North Koreans including a soldier defect to South Korea
- 18.05.2018Iran calls on Muslims to revise trade ties with U.S. after Jerusalem move
- 18.05.2018Saudi Arabia, UAE, Russia to discuss oil supplies following US withdrawal from JCPOA
- 18.05.2018Russia, Syria can start work to rebuild Syrian economy, says Putin
- 17.05.20185 suspected bombers killed in southwest Pakistan
- 16.05.2018Israel summons Turkey's charge d'affaires
- 16.05.2018Israel says Hamas curbed Gaza protests after Egyptian warning
- 16.05.2018Turkish parliament speaker: Gulf states should influence Trump in Palestinian issue
- 16.05.2018DPRK says not interested in negotiations that require only denuclearization - UPDATED
- 16.05.2018Seven dead, 30 feared trapped after part of flyover collapses in Indian city
- 16.05.2018Seoul regrets Pyongyang's decision to suspend high level inter-Korean talks
- 15.05.2018Iran wants guarantees from EU that JCPOA would be beneficial for It - Zarif
- 15.05.2018Israel asks Turkish envoy in Palestine to leave country
- 15.05.2018N Korea suspends talks with South over their joint drills with US
- 15.05.2018Palestinian leader Abbas hospitalized for surgery
- 15.05.2018Palestinian Death Toll in Gaza Rises to 59 - UPDATED
- 15.05.2018Fiery cleric Sadr taps anger over Iran to lead Iraq poll
- 15.05.2018Hezbollah says rocket attack on Israeli-occupied Golan marks 'new phase'
- 15.05.2018Netanyahu calls Israeli actions in Gaza self-defense against Hamas
- 14.05.2018Kuwait seeks UN Securtity Council meeting over Gaza
- 14.05.2018Oil gains on OPEC report; U.S. crude discount to Brent deepens
- 14.05.2018At least 52 Palestinians killed by Israeli army at Gaza border - UPDATED-4
- 14.05.2018U.S. embassy opens in Jerusalem
- 13.05.2018Daesh-inspired group carried out deadly suicide attacks in Indonesia
- 13.05.2018Serial explosions occur in Indonesia, at least two killed, over a dozen injured
- 12.05.2018North Korea details plans to dismantle nuclear test site
- 12.05.2018North Korea announces nuclear test site dismantling ceremony for May
- 12.05.2018Explosion damages vessel carrying wheat to Yemen
- 12.05.2018Israel to Assad: Get rid of your Iranian allies, they will harm you
- 12.05.2018Israeli gunfire kills Palestinian as border protest builds to climax
- 11.05.2018Israeli soldier wounded in car-ramming attack in West Bank
- 11.05.2018Iranians hold nationwide rallies to condemn US breach of contract
- 11.05.20187 people, including 4 children, found dead at home in southwestern Australia
- 11.05.2018Russia, Iran vow to adhere to nuclear deal
- 11.05.2018Iran does not want new tensions in the region — president
- 10.05.2018China's won't change stance on trade talks with U.S.: China commerce ministry
- 10.05.2018Singapore likely summit venue after North Korea releases prisoners: U.S. official
- 10.05.2018Israel says hit dozens of Iranian targets in Syria
- 10.05.2018Gulf Arab allies hail triumph after U.S. quits Iran deal
- 09.05.2018Iran leader slams Trump’s ‘inane’ speech on nuke deal
- 09.05.2018Iran’s parliament speaker: US itself has endangered international security