Syria prepares for major assault on militants camp
Baku-APA. The Syrian army is preparing a carry out a counterattack on a Palestinian refugee camp in south Damascus after foreign-backed militants took control of the camp, APA reports quoting Press TV.
Hundreds of the members of the terrorist Free Syrian Army and al-Nusra Front are reported to have holed up in Yarmuk refugee camp over the past days, committing acts of violence against the camp’s residents.
"Soldiers have amassed in large numbers and are preparing a military operation to cleanse the camp," al-Watan newspaper said.
The United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) says the population of the camp had halved by Tuesday.
Opposition sources claimed on Sunday that government forces have bombed Yarmuk, but the Syrian military immediately rejected the claim, saying it has only targeted Salafist insurgents holed up in the camp.
Some reports say armed men affiliated to the al-Nusra Front executed a number of Palestinian civilians in the refugee camp.
Yarmouk and the districts surrounding it have borne the brunt of the turmoil in Syria over the past months. In September, at least 20 people were killed after mortar shells fired by militants landed in the Palestinian refugee camp.
Syria has been experiencing unrest since March 2011. Many people, including large numbers of army and security personnel, have been killed in the turmoil.
The Syrian government says the chaos is being orchestrated from outside the country, and there are reports that a very large number of the militants operating in the country are foreign nationals.
Related news releases
- 27.08.2016Turkish jets bomb YPG positions in Syria
- 27.08.201622 Daesh militants killed in Iraq
- 27.08.2016OPEC export revenues lowest in more than a decade
- 26.08.2016PKK attack martyrs 11 police officers in SE Turkey - UPDATED
- 26.08.201620 killed, 17 injured in central Nepal bus accident
- 26.08.20165.8-magnitude quake hits Izu Islands, Japan region
- 25.08.2016US Navy Ship fired warning shots at Iranian Fast Boat
- 25.08.2016Separatists kill 6 paramilitary troops in SW Pakistan
- 25.08.2016Twelve people killed in American University attack - UPDATED
- 25.08.2016Palestinian Foreign Ministry urges U.S. to ban citizens from trespassing Al-Aqsa Mosque
- 25.08.2016North Korea fires submarine-launched ballistic missile towards Japan
- 24.08.2016Israeli soldier shoots dead Palestinian driver in West Bank
- 24.08.2016Turkey-assisted Free Syrian Army captures 4 villages from ISIL
- 24.08.2016Syrian foreign ministry condemns Turkish incursion
- 24.08.2016North Korea Fires Ballistic Missile From Submarine
- 24.08.2016Putin to visit Turkey on 31 August
- 24.08.2016Turkish army, coalition forces launch anti-ISIS operation
- 24.08.2016Car bomb blast in Thailand kills one, injures 29
- 24.08.2016Turkey’s Erdogan meets with KRG's Barzani
- 23.08.2016Putin, Netanyahu discuss Mid-East peace process in phone call
- 23.08.2016Turkey evacuates town amid anti-IS Syria campaign
- 23.08.201640 militants killed in NW Pakistan military operation
- 22.08.2016Turkish gov’t withdraws military bases outside of major cities
- 22.08.2016Russia 'showed-off' over use of Iran airbase for Syria strikes
- 22.08.2016Russia stops using Iran's Hamadan airbase - Iranian Foreign Ministry
- 22.08.2016Bus falls off a bridge into canal in India, 9 dead
- 21.08.2016Iraqi air force kills 19 ISIS Commanders in Mosul
- 21.08.2016Major pro-rebel demonstration in Sanaa
- 21.08.201630 people confirmed dead, 94 injured in Turkey wedding blast: governor- VIDEO - UPDATED - 3
- 20.08.2016Iran, Russia agreed on delivery of S-300 missile defense system, says Alaeddin Boroujerdi
- 20.08.2016Magnitude 6 quake strikes off Japanese coast
- 20.08.2016Kazakhstan to inspect some schools over possible FETO links
- 20.08.2016Turkey changes its policy on Syria
- 20.08.2016Iran says Russia may use other airbases
- 20.08.2016Russia offers Iran to buy S400 missiles
- 20.08.2016Turkish parliament ratifies settlement deal with Israel
- 20.08.2016Turkey: PKK terrorist killed, 3 soldiers injured
- 19.08.2016Four killed in Palestinian police arrest raid in West Bank
- 19.08.2016Fire erupts in business center in Istanbul
- 19.08.2016Ahmet Davutoglu’s ‘right hand’ detained
- 19.12.2012Coal mine collapse and blast kills 8 in Iran
- 19.12.2012Prime Minister: Turkey ready to bring Iraqi president to Turkey for treatment
- 19.12.2012Iran ranked 11th as world's largest grape producer
- 18.12.2012Ahmadinejad says Western sanctions won't stop Iran
- 18.12.2012Trucks queue on Azerbaijani-Russian border
- 18.12.2012Iraq’s Presidential Administration denies Jalal Talabani’s death