Syria prepares for major assault on militants camp
Baku-APA. The Syrian army is preparing a carry out a counterattack on a Palestinian refugee camp in south Damascus after foreign-backed militants took control of the camp, APA reports quoting Press TV.
Hundreds of the members of the terrorist Free Syrian Army and al-Nusra Front are reported to have holed up in Yarmuk refugee camp over the past days, committing acts of violence against the camp’s residents.
"Soldiers have amassed in large numbers and are preparing a military operation to cleanse the camp," al-Watan newspaper said.
The United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) says the population of the camp had halved by Tuesday.
Opposition sources claimed on Sunday that government forces have bombed Yarmuk, but the Syrian military immediately rejected the claim, saying it has only targeted Salafist insurgents holed up in the camp.
Some reports say armed men affiliated to the al-Nusra Front executed a number of Palestinian civilians in the refugee camp.
Yarmouk and the districts surrounding it have borne the brunt of the turmoil in Syria over the past months. In September, at least 20 people were killed after mortar shells fired by militants landed in the Palestinian refugee camp.
Syria has been experiencing unrest since March 2011. Many people, including large numbers of army and security personnel, have been killed in the turmoil.
The Syrian government says the chaos is being orchestrated from outside the country, and there are reports that a very large number of the militants operating in the country are foreign nationals.
Related news releases
- 30.03.2017Court decides whether to arrest ousted South Korean president Park
- 30.03.2017Suicide truck bomb kills at least 17 in south Baghdad: police - UPDATED
- 29.03.2017Iraqi forces battle toward landmark Mosul mosque
- 28.03.2017Russia, Iran express support for Damascus’ efforts to combat terrorism
- 28.03.2017North Korea tests rocket engine: U.S. officials
- 28.03.2017Hong Kong protest leaders charged day after new leader chosen
- 27.03.2017At least 11 dead in suicide bombing and gun attack in southern Yemen
- 27.03.2017At least 112 bodies found at site of US-led coalition's airstrike in Iraqi Mosul
- 26.03.2017ISIL militants kill three civilians in Afghanistan
- 25.03.201768 violators detained during riots in Bishkek
- 25.03.2017Senior Hamas leader shot dead in Gaza
- 25.03.201710 dead in central China mine accidents
- 25.03.2017Iran criticizes renewal of UN special rapporteur's mission: spokesman
- 25.03.2017Russian, U.S. defense officials discuss air safety over Syria
- 24.03.2017Bomber blows himself up near Bangladesh's principal airport in Dhaka
- 24.03.2017Turkey announces North Korea-related asset freeze
- 24.03.2017Italy deports 25th extremist since beginning of 2017
- 23.03.2017Next step against İSİS is Raqqah offensive
- 23.03.2017North Korea missile test fails, U.S. and South say, as tensions simmer
- 23.03.2017Air strike kills more than 30 near Raqqa, Syrian Observatory says
- 22.03.2017Iraqi forces take two more villages in W. Mosul: Army
- 19.03.2017North Korea claims to have tested new high-thrust rocket engine
- 19.03.2017Abbas to visit White House next month
- 19.03.2017SVCS: Diseased animals not imported from Armenia to Azerbaijan through Georgia
- 18.03.2017Death toll rises to 42 in airstrike off Yemen
- 17.03.2017Houthis 'kill 22 soldiers' in Yemen attack
- 17.03.2017Traffic accidents kill 50 people in Iran in past two days
- 17.03.2017Japan launches IGS Radar-5 spy satellite
- 17.03.2017Syria government urges U.N. chief to avert 'looming dam catastrophe'
- 17.03.2017Air attack kills 58 civilians in Aleppo mosque
- 16.03.20172 militants killed in police raid in Bangladesh
- 16.03.2017Iraqi troops seize main bridge, advance on mosque in battle for Mosul
- 16.03.20176 killed, 13 injured as building collapses due to gas explosion in northern India
- 16.03.2017US seeking ‘serious’ Mideast talks: Palestinian FM
- 16.03.2017Car bomb attack kills at least 4 in Tikrit, Iraq
- 15.03.2017Explosion hits Palace of Justice in Damascus, multiple casualties reported
- 15.03.201790% of Mosul Retaken from Daesh - Police Chief
- 14.03.2017Two killed in fireworks blaze in central Israel
- 14.03.2017New round of intra-Syrian talks kicks off in Astana
- 14.03.20175.9 magnitude quake hits western Indonesia, no tsunami alert issued
- 19.12.2012Coal mine collapse and blast kills 8 in Iran
- 19.12.2012Prime Minister: Turkey ready to bring Iraqi president to Turkey for treatment
- 19.12.2012Iran ranked 11th as world's largest grape producer
- 18.12.2012Ahmadinejad says Western sanctions won't stop Iran
- 18.12.2012Trucks queue on Azerbaijani-Russian border
- 18.12.2012Iraq’s Presidential Administration denies Jalal Talabani’s death